AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

View Poll Results: Total Eclipse - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 17 23.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 14.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 30.99%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.68%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.63%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 5.63%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-06, 06:51   Link #61
galdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecat View Post
If these are the people who are supposed to save the world then the world is in very big trouble....

If your logic is correct, then when the prototype is perfected and produced; will the series end with the main characters shipping the production models to the front lines with a "Job Well Done!!" banner waving behind them?

Fine, I thought this series was going to go in a different direction. Perhaps it will. Hope is eternal.
I can see why you are disappointed. Though I don't think BETA fight will come anytime soon. Probably mid-way in the series.

Even in the original VN trilogy who are loved by many, the early part is pretty much character interactions and cultural clash. Only after like 2/3 of the series, the character start fight BETA for real.

Anyway, I recommend drop this series for now and pick it up later when the real fight starts.
Old 2012-08-06, 07:36   Link #62
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecat View Post
If these are the people who are supposed to save the world then the world is in very big trouble....

If your logic is correct, then when the prototype is perfected and produced; will the series end with the main characters shipping the production models to the front lines with a "Job Well Done!!" banner waving behind them?

Fine, I thought this series was going to go in a different direction. Perhaps it will. Hope is eternal.
One time again, TE is not main story, it's characters are researchers, test pilots who stay far behind frontline, not World's saviors and the world can't be saved with just few test pilots as same as no Russian researchers rampage around at Battle of Berlin and credited him as nazi-killer.
Old 2012-08-06, 07:55   Link #63
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypokstick View Post
But they are not. This was established a long time ago that TE is just a spin off story to the main story. if you want to learn about humanity saviors go ask in the Game thread instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
One time again, TE is not main story, it's characters are researchers, test pilots who stay far behind frontline, not World's saviors and the world can't be saved with just few test pilots as same as no Russian researchers rampage around at Battle of Berlin and credited him as nazi-killer.
This claim is going a bit too much in circle: the fact TE is a side story doesn't change a single thing regarding the context of ML universe: that is to say, Earth being invaded by a ruthless alien race, and humanity on the verge of extinction.
Now, while the VN is centred on the conflict (with not that much of actual battle either), TE flaw is how -that- disconnected the mood is.
I certainly don't expect any BETA screentime anytime soon (or even until the end of the series), but the mood itself is really lacking in many departements: you don't feel any "urgency" or sense of gravity in the show aside of episode 1-2, and few lines from Yui for obvious reasons.
In a way, if you were to remove the first 2 episodes and change the premise into "preparation for fighting some monsters", the plot wouldn't be incoherent to the slightest.

I would definitely appreciate more if you had "resistance status reports", more concerns about the frontlines etc. You really don't need to make ep1-2 redux left and right, but at least make the "test" parts -making sense- by having a cohesion between the spin off and the rest of the plot.
Old 2012-08-06, 08:21   Link #64
Destined_Fate

Feel bad for Tarisa, she tries to make peace with Inia and Inia insults her and knocks Tarisa's peace offering on the ground.
Old 2012-08-06, 08:46   Link #65
novalysis

I do think that had Total Eclipse been a story all about the personal dramas and relationships Mecha Test pilots in a sci fi setting, a Mecha slice of life so to speak, it would have been better regarded and perhaps praised for it's unique premise and its attempts to explore culture clashes and identities. As it is, people judge it based on the Grim dark premise that episode 2 suggests.
Old 2012-08-06, 09:56   Link #66
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I do think that had Total Eclipse been a story all about the personal dramas and relationships Mecha Test pilots in a sci fi setting, a Mecha slice of life so to speak, it would have been better regarded and perhaps praised for it's unique premise and its attempts to explore culture clashes and identities. As it is, people judge it based on the Grim dark premise that episode 2 suggests.
In a way what you are describing is like what Voices of a Distant Star tried. That was another tear jerker, focusing on the long distance relationship with the girl sent out to fight aliens. With light years of delay between communications.

Also Stellvia of the Universe, everyday high school pilot training life, in preparation of defense against a wave of energy that would wipe out the solar system.

However, Muv Luv is Muv Luv, and In the Grim Darkness that is Muv Luv, there is only NOM!

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
Old 2012-08-06, 10:02   Link #67
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I'm not really seeing what the problem is, myself...it was advertised as a show about test pilots, and it is a show about test pilots, and it's following pretty much every standard situation of such a show: first the setting and the characters are introduced, then we start to get into the personal interactions among the unit and explore the various parties' issues and how we work our way past them, while at the same time tackling the professional questions that brought the unit together. Around the midpoint we'll probably start getting introduced to the underlying external tensions (such as political and corporate shenanigans) and then somewhere around the 1/3-1/4 mark of the series crap will start getting real as something forces the unit to get "out in the world" and take on real problems (which in this setting means BETA). (See also: Macross Plus.)

I do think Klashikari has a point, though: one thing that does seem to be missing is that in eps. 3-6 there isn't really that tension that "BETA IS OUT THERE!!!!!" This is especially the case with the Argos Flight pilots (and Ibrahim) all being from countries that at this point don't exist any more, having been overrun by BETA, yet Yui is the only character who shows any kind of external awareness of the serious consequences involved. I expect a certain amount of this from the Americans, simply because they aren't on the frontlines of the war in their own nation, so it lacks the immediacy that other nations have, but getting a little more from VG, Stella, and Chobi would be productive. Unfortunately, they're not the core main characters, and Cryska and Inia are still doing the "mysterious Soviet" riff, so that they haven't had the chance to contribute anything on that level. It's not frontline war action, but atmosphere, that's genuinely missing.

Nonetheless, I think the complaining continues to hearken back to the same sort of complaints that were being heard after episodes 1-3, which is, "I expected this show to be X, and it's giving me Y." Well, what it's giving over episodes 3-6 is precisely what it was advertised and promoted as being. Whether a person likes that or whether it bores the pants off them, well, that's personal taste. Heck, I never liked Top Gun, which seems to be the source of half the tropes going on here. But it seems to be a little excessive to have people going "I came for wall-to-wall alien fighting and didn't get it!" when nothing about this show suggested it would be there in the first place.
Old 2012-08-06, 10:09   Link #68
galdr

TBH Muv-Luv is most famous for Alien-Fighting(and genre shift) so I can see many why many people felt dissapointed. I probably won't touch Extra/Unlimited without any hype from Alternative.

Do you guys think its better for the anime to just skip to Yuuya's story instead? That will probably reduce the number of people that feel being cheated by the preview/prologue.
Old 2012-08-06, 10:20   Link #69
Destined_Fate

Haven't they already skipped through some things?
Old 2012-08-06, 10:23   Link #70
galdr

Nah, I meant removing episode 1 & 2.

IIRC those are anime originals to introduce the setting to people who is unfamiliar with Muv-Luv.
Old 2012-08-06, 10:36   Link #71
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

“Hey, I didn’t sign-up for this! I’m here for mecha-massacre and human-devouring, dammit!” ...is what I wanted to say, but I already given up that expectation once I knew that this anime isn’t meant for that. The fanservice is good without being overboard. Also, this beach episode actually serve a purpose in fleshing out the characters more. So, it’s a decent eps IMO. I’ll give it a solid 7.

Back in the cave, I guessed that Yui’s first “private” question will be more about Yuuya’s Japanese origin, but alas, she’s more worried about Yuuya’s relationship with Cryska? Now that is surprising development. I never thought that Yui is the kind of girl to get jealous easily. Is she like that too in the actual game?

Btw, does anybody else think Cryska’s “communist” bikini looks cute on her?
Old 2012-08-06, 10:37   Link #72
Destined_Fate

They needed those episodes so that people would better understand Yui since she was cold before recent episodes. Of course that hasn't stopped some younger posters on other sites to still accuse Yui of being a racist whore and the such. I believe they're just doing that to try and get a rise out of other viewers.

Or that might just be me honestly hoping that there aren't really people out there in the world that are that hateful and ignorant.
Old 2012-08-06, 10:50   Link #73
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

To be honest this episode was pretty bad. The character interaction reveals... nothing, except that how unnatural it was to see Yui suddenly so uncharacteristic and reacting like a... high school girl. The entire flow feels incredibly weird as well - fan service was not really fan service, characters interacting but barely convey any meaning at all, etc etc...
Old 2012-08-06, 11:17   Link #74
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I found this week's episode... bland and cliché as hell. I mean, I know Yuuya and Yui would have to actually go somewhere with their character progression between the two of them, but resorting to the "herpderp beach accident in a storm" cliché? That was all they could think of?
Old 2012-08-06, 12:38   Link #75
black knight iust
spirit 1
*IT Support

well arnt we forgetting character ages
yui's birthday is March 13, 1984 making her 14 during her first fight with beta making her currently about 16-18 years old which that fight took place 1998 and i beleave now its 2000 or 2001 not sure exactly my guess is yuuya is about the same age and with his mindset he probly has romantic trigger immunity

i think i just put something off topic
Old 2012-08-06, 12:41   Link #76
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't believe age is what's being questioned here, it's the sudden 180 her personality did in this episode. Cold and distant for 3 entire episodes, then suddenly smiling, shy, blushing and helpful?

It feels like I missed an episode or two here...
Old 2012-08-06, 12:45   Link #77
black knight iust
spirit 1
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I don't believe age is what's being questioned here, it's the sudden 180 her personality did in this episode. Cold and distant for 3 entire episodes, then suddenly smiling, shy, blushing and helpful?

It feels like I missed an episode or two here...
i get the feeling all that stuff befor this ep and after 2 was an act
though if the next ep starts with a random her blushing panicing asking cryska what she wants to know about him ill die of laughter
didnt yuis words come back to bite her in the ass
Old 2012-08-06, 12:53   Link #78
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black knight iust View Post
i get the feeling all that stuff befor this ep and after 2 was an act
though if the next ep starts with a random her blushing panicing asking cryska what she wants to know about him ill die of laughter
If that happens, her character would be discredited. She's an officer. She has to behave like one. It was only an ankle sprain.
Old 2012-08-06, 13:03   Link #79
black knight iust
spirit 1
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
If that happens, her character would be discredited. She's an officer. She has to behave like one. It was only an ankle sprain.
its only a flesh wound , ive gotten worse , from the words at the end it sounds like cryskas gonna panic and yyuyas gonna catch a cold standing outside
but yui's reactions seem outa normal character but i can say i like her actions more in this ep than before
Old 2012-08-06, 13:12   Link #80
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't think that Yui's a natural hardass. I don't think that's her real personality. Her real personality is more like the girl we saw in the first two episodes of this anime, just more mature.

Deep down inside, Yui is a nice person. But she's a fierce patriot. Yuuya set off her patriotism/nationalism, just like she set off his dislike for the Japanese side of his ancestry. That caused Yui to act like a complete hardass towards Yuuya, as he offends her patriotic pride.

But once Yuuya and Yui are put in a situation where nationalism isn't that important any more, their real selves come out better.

Also, I think that Yuuya's push-back has actually impressed Yui some. The guy doesn't take the brow-beating without fighting back as much as the rank differences will allow (and arguably then some). At some level, Yui probably respects Yuuya for sticking to his guns and not backing down from his side of things, as much as she may disagree with him.