AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2007-04-02, 16:47   Link #81
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Well the quality of that raw was pretty high nonetheless, could we most likely expect to see this every week? I wouldn't mind watching this show at 720p, upscaled or not.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 16:50   Link #82
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Thanks a lot for the high-image shots Sonhex, you're making my wait until its finished downloading even more painful. :3

Absolutely loved the first episode to pieces, Kamina is such an amazingly GAR character, and then you have Yoko who is so much love-love i can't control it. Time to start the first episode rewatch --- Burning Courage!
Old 2007-04-02, 19:18   Link #83
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
rather than the anime itself being upscaled by the broadcaster, I think it's just the encode (the 500mb divx raw) that's a little crummy / oversmoothed. Still much better than the SD rip though.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 19:32   Link #84
Zorak

I wonder how slim the chance is of anyone subbing this any time soon. I wish someone would. Its burning spirit reminds me for some reason of GaoGaiGar.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 20:38   Link #85
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I wonder how slim the chance is of anyone subbing this any time soon. I wish someone would. Its burning spirit reminds me for some reason of GaoGaiGar.
Probably pretty good.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 23:36   Link #86
issei

after watching the 1280x720 raw, i'm enthralled by this series. it embodies the best of what the shounen mecha genre has to offer, carried by great direction and storyboarding. it's all very energetic, and every moment had that spirit of adventure in it; no time was wasted at all in this first episode. barring a drop in quality or pacing, i'll be following gurren-lagann for sure.
Old 2007-04-03, 07:27   Link #87
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Very lush, vibrant and stylish.

As expected of Imaishi, but whether or not this drive will continue on shining for the next 26 episodes is another thing. We'll see.

I think this show is easily my top guilty pleasure show in a long long time. I can't recall the last time I have so many "I'll watch any crap for *insert reason*" feeling in a long time, be it the hot-blooded Kamina who manages to not look like an idiot yet stil being hot-blooded, the black long haired girl of the 3 Lady Team (( yes, she's already my favourite female, no questions asked. I just <3 her design )), the Kanna-lookalike villian who looked like he came out of Falcon, my favourite Malaysian comic, the Ninku vibes I'm getting from this show regardless of unsimilarities, and naturally, the mecha.

Though the monsters, especially in that last shot REALLY looks like Hollows from Bleach.

Granted, there's not much of any hints towards what the plot will evolve into other than random journeys through the barren surface world, but the prologue is intriguing to say the least. Unless irony bites generations and the previous owner of Lagann JUST had to look vaguely like a grown-up Shimon, it either insinuates that Gurren will slowly develop it's story and plot through the years (( 26 episodes over what looked at least like 7 to 10 years? unlikely )) or that the beginning is an epilogue of the years following the ending of Gurren Lagann.

Yeah, I know there's a Kamina-lookalike in the prologue, but I can so totally feel Kamina's death-flag waving.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 08:38   Link #88
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Yeah, I know there's a Kamina-lookalike in the prologue, but I can so totally feel Kamina's death-flag waving.
Which is why I was speculating that might indeed be Shimon, somehow "honouring" Kamina by adopting a similar attitude.
But well, this is really a wild and quick speculation, and I'll just watch this show anyway, no matter on what might happen to the main characters at the end of it.
Old 2007-04-03, 09:33   Link #89
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Very lush, vibrant and stylish.

As expected of Imaishi, but whether or not this drive will continue on shining for the next 26 episodes is another thing. We'll see.

I think this show is easily my top guilty pleasure show in a long long time. I can't recall the last time I have so many "I'll watch any crap for *insert reason*" feeling in a long time, be it the hot-blooded Kamina who manages to not look like an idiot yet stil being hot-blooded, the black long haired girl of the 3 Lady Team (( yes, she's already my favourite female, no questions asked. I just <3 her design )), the Kanna-lookalike villian who looked like he came out of Falcon, my favourite Malaysian comic, the Ninku vibes I'm getting from this show regardless of unsimilarities, and naturally, the mecha.

Though the monsters, especially in that last shot REALLY looks like Hollows from Bleach.

Granted, there's not much of any hints towards what the plot will evolve into other than random journeys through the barren surface world, but the prologue is intriguing to say the least. Unless irony bites generations and the previous owner of Lagann JUST had to look vaguely like a grown-up Shimon, it either insinuates that Gurren will slowly develop it's story and plot through the years (( 26 episodes over what looked at least like 7 to 10 years? unlikely )) or that the beginning is an epilogue of the years following the ending of Gurren Lagann.

Hum... their journey will be more focused than that I believe, probably on The Hobbit's or One Piece's fashion. Just saying this based on Imaishi interviews I've read, which promised an excitement extending beyond amazingly directed action and that actually described Gurren-Lagann as a big, epic adventure.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 23:07   Link #90
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Nah...It's obvious that hot-blooded guy with the drill is Shimon. I mean that the guy with the face-scar tattoo and yellow shades may not be Kamina, but rather another guy who's honouring Kamina.

Kamina strikes to me as the kind of guy who would use his sword to hold back a thousand fleets of Ganmen, to protect his soul brother and friends...and die valiantly doing so. I get the Caesar Zepelli vibes STRONGLY from him, if I'm to make a comparison.

Hmm...A One Piece like adventure? If it's even 1/3rd as good as One Piece in terms of potraying the "nakama-ship adventure of epic proportions", then I'll be more than satisfied.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 23:58   Link #91
7Th
Mixtape

Heh, seems like Gurren-Lagann is finally ready to abandon the Unaired forum. :P
Old 2007-04-04, 00:14   Link #92
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

I actually posted this in the wrong thread.

Gainax top image:

I claim Yoko as my new wife. Dibs!

Last edited by Maids! Maids! Maids!; 2007-04-04 at 18:32. Reason: Replaced image with new, resized version.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 00:35   Link #93
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Henceforth -- and I believe this should be codified in the AnimeSuki forum rules -- we should only refer to the monster in the first episode as
Spoiler for Episode 1:
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 03:22   Link #94
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Man, Kamina is highly amusing. A lot of the lines he's spouting has a double entendre kind of connotation to them. It's a total riot.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 03:40   Link #95
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Lol, there's already so much fanart of Yoko even if the episode only aired around three days ago?! I'm impressed.
Old 2007-04-04, 09:08   Link #96
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
I claim Yoko as my new wife. Dibs!
Ohohoh --- thats something a lot of us have already done. Anyway --- i claim Kamina as my new Big Brother! Oh, thanks a lot for the images, i see some good avatar material here. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Lol, there's already so much fanart of Yoko even if the episode only aired around three days ago?! I'm impressed.
Well, you have to remember that the character designs have been around for some time --- meaning these fanarts could have easily have been worked-on before the first episode aired.

Also, is anyone planning on making some Kamina & Yoko avatars? ^___^

"YOUR DRILL IS ONE THAT WILL PIERCE THROUGH THE HEAVENS!"
Old 2007-04-04, 09:13   Link #97
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I might make some avatars (but not animated ones, I'm too lazy for that) if I have some spare time.
Old 2007-04-04, 09:34   Link #98
7Th
Mixtape

Gurren-Lagann gets 100% more awesome when you understand the dialogs... it was already the most fun series I've seen in a very long time, but the amazing script is all sorts of incredible.

Really, language understanding make me really foresee an enormously epic future for this series. The "I'll squash them along with space-time itself!" along with Shiroth's signature make for the best quotes I've heard in anime in a very long time.
Old 2007-04-04, 09:38   Link #99
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Really, language understanding make me really foresee an enormously epic future for this series. The "I'll squash them along with space-time itself!" along with Shiroth's signature make for the best quotes I've heard in anime in a very long time.
I watched again this morning --- i'll list what i have. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina
"YOUR DRILL IS ONE THAT WILL PIERCE THROUGH THE HEAVENS!"

"The youth will aim for the surface!"

"The infamous Gurren-dan of Jiihan village! Carrying the sound of Men,
the unlawful digger demons! The dee-vine Kamina!"

"HEY, BIG FACE! Get ready to eat a bullet!"

"Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb! That's the Gurren-dan
way!"

"Show them the power of the Gurren-dan drill!"
I can't think of any show that used such good quote material in just the first episode alone. I can see a lot of good things coming from this 26 episode series!
Old 2007-04-04, 10:00   Link #100
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I can't think of any show that used such good quote material in just the first episode alone. I can see a lot of good things coming from this 26 episode series!
Are those from the sub? Cause those are mega-liberal.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote