AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-31, 14:04   Link #21
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

What do you want me to tell you... watch the raws, read the scantrads or the detailed sumaries to understand them... but there is more chance seeing GNK2005 licencied than having all the eps subbed.
An anime based on one of the best (if not the best) shoujo manga ever made.... ignored by fansubers because they didn"t know the original manga. A bit sad I think.

Anyways I saw the whole anime and I really liked the plays (even if some of them like Juliet were too short), Ayumi (my favourite one, she is wonderfulness), Murasaki no Bara no Hito and much more.
Can't wait to see how the story will end
Blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 14:59   Link #22
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

[First part deleted after checking on the things I needed to check on. Sorry...]

I found the J-drama to be pretty helpful in understanding a lot of what was going on in the raws. It has some extra story elements thrown in, like a half-brother for Maya and a lot more evilness from Shiori, but it's still worthwhile.

Last edited by BBOvenGuy; 2006-05-31 at 20:23.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 22:10   Link #23
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yes!!! There is a god of anime after all!!

I've missed this show. Looking forward to watching episodes 9 and 10.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-06, 00:46   Link #24
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

I laugh when I saw Tsukigage slapping Maya. It reminded me the Glass Mask parody in School Rumble ep 6.
Anyway the best is to come "the Storm Stage, Catherine, The Stone Smile and... Helen !! ) good job and thanks.
Blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 05:23   Link #25
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

How could this wonderful show be ignored/overlooked by the majority of the anime fandom?

Upon reading the manga, watching the TV series and then, what's subbed as of now, I jump onto Intarwebz only to find out that there's little to none following for this great series?

(P/S : The romance between Matsumi x Maya? It contains all the ingredients I could ever have hoped for. Way to go and re-install my faith in the shoujo genre. This normally yaoi-friendly fan says," OMFG Give me more, kthanx!" <-- I can now easily understand why they sway the hearts of shoujo fans. Phew!)
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 11:35   Link #26
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
How could this wonderful show be ignored/overlooked by the majority of the anime fandom?....
I'm in complete agreement. This is a classic and fascinating story. Kobayashi Sanae is wonderful as Maya, and Yajima Akiko is equally good as Ayumi. Their acting battles are near the height of the voice actor's art. (Yajima Akiko is also great in the current Blue Drop). And Morikawa Toshiyuki as Hayami Masumi is also excellent.

Why was the show neglected? I can think of a couple of reasons. One, it's shoujo drama. Two, the story has been told before in that excellent TV dorama and in a previous not-so-excellent anime.

But there was more following for the show when it was being broadcast in 2005 than you can see here. The AnimeSuki forums were attacked and crashed in 2005, and a lot of posts were lost.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 13:20   Link #27
DanielSong39

One of the best anime I've seen. Superb animation, music, direction, and story. Shoujo drama at its finest.

It's too bad that the show was never fully subbed.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 17:42   Link #28
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But there was more following for the show when it was being broadcast in 2005 than you can see here. The AnimeSuki forums were attacked and crashed in 2005, and a lot of posts were lost.
Another reason is the MFI factor. One of the groups that used to sub this show dropped it because it was produced by MFI. I am simply glad that the other one did not stop subbing. If it was licensed I'd be fine, but alas, it has been nearly 3 years since this show aired and it still hasn't been licensed. All I can do by now is to pray that it will continue to get fansubbed.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-26, 21:38   Link #29
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

I doubt it'll be licensed any time soon, several companies have tried to license both the anime and the manga over the past 3 years. However they've not been able to negotiate terms with the japanese owners for it.

I know the manga side had some strict rles that have to be complied to before they'll allow it to be licensed, so far none have agreed to it. Though Del Rey/Tanoshimi are apparently going to be trying for a second time.

Anime wise im not sure what the hold up was. Both ADV and FUNimation were apparently trying to get licenses for it, but nothing ever came about from it.
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 22:11   Link #30
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
Anime wise I'm not sure what the hold up was. Both ADV and FUNimation were apparently trying to get licenses for it, but nothing ever came about from it.
Really? I had no idea the series had ever even come that close. Where did you hear about all this?
Old 2007-12-26, 22:17   Link #31
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

a FUNimation rep commented that they had gone for the anime, but hadnt be able to secure a license earlier in the year.

ADV bought a Glass Mask domain (forgotten which one) after the series had run for 20 episodes or so, then released it. I remember reading somewhere that they were asked about it at a convention, and admited they had wanted it, but hadnt been able to.

That said, this is one series i'd love to see licensed, both anime and manga. Subs for both seem to have died off which sucks. Wish i understood japanese!!!
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 01:57   Link #32
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

I just noticed that a new chapter of Glass Mask manga was released on Christmas day! Goodness, it's a relief to find out the manga is still continuing. With that knowledge, at least it dulls the pain of waiting for the subs somewhat. *laughs*

Did anyone here catch the Special ending of the drama series? It's supposed to air after the 11th episode of the first season, but was cut short by a week - thus, the SP episode was filmed after the ending of the second season. (Apparently, it's an ending which even Suzue-sensei approved of, so my interest in it skyrocketed, to say the least!)

In actuality, the two seasons were fully translated and completed, with the exception of the special ending itself, which won't ever be released by the person in charge of the drama series (for reasons I feel could not be helped, considering the situation at that time).

But it's my wish to find someone or raise awareness to a person interested enough to at least bring closure to the drama series by subbing that one episode.
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 11:56   Link #33
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Did anyone here catch the Special ending of the drama series? It's supposed to air after the 11th episode of the first season, but was cut short by a week - thus, the SP episode was filmed after the ending of the second season. (Apparently, it's an ending which even Suzue-sensei approved of, so my interest in it skyrocketed, to say the least!)
Nope, the Special Ending is set after the end of the second season. If you'll recall, the second season of the drama ends with Maya going off to compete for the Crimson Goddess. The Special Ending picks up from there. It's basically an abbreviated version of the same ground covered by the final episodes of the anime, but with a conclusion to some of the drama-specific plot threads added as well.

There's also a different actress playing Ayumi, since Matsumoto Megumi (who now calls herself Matsumoto Rio) was unavailable.
Old 2008-12-06, 08:52   Link #34
killbethy

The series is being subbed independently of any fansubbing group on Crunchyroll, but the wait time between episodes can be several months... currently, episodes 1 - 39 are subbed.
killbethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 18:43   Link #35
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbethy View Post
The series is being subbed independently of any fansubbing group on Crunchyroll, but the wait time between episodes can be several months... currently, episodes 1 - 39 are subbed.
They lost their translators, one to school and one to having a baby. They have new people now, and have got Ep. 40 in the works.
Old 2008-12-08, 22:56   Link #36
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
They lost their translators, one to school and one to having a baby. They have new people now, and have got Ep. 40 in the works.
Thanks. That's nice to know. I wish them good luck.

Old 2008-12-11, 17:41   Link #37
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Word on the street is that episodes 41 through 43 are now in the translation pipeline. It's coming along, slowly but surely. Just a few more episodes to go.
Old 2008-12-11, 18:06   Link #38
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Just a few more episodes to go.
Twelve is a few? Many series are only 12 episodes long. Actually, compared to the 40 episodes completed, twelve is just a few. I remember the old days when 52 episodes was pretty standard for a show. Now anything over 13 episodes is long and 52 episodes is immense. Just a few more episodes to go.

Old 2008-12-11, 18:25   Link #39
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I remember the old days when 52 episodes was pretty standard for a show. Now anything over 13 episodes is long and 52 episodes is immense.
Well, on American TV, 65 is considered a standard run for cartoons that run five days a week, and 100 is the "magic number" live-action shows want to get to, so they can go into syndicated reruns. With anime, though, I have yet to watch a show that ran longer than 52 episodes. I know they're out there, but I haven't been interested in them.

Now that the Glass Mask manga has started up again, they'll have to do a new anime sooner or later. It would be pretty long if they decided to go all the way back to the beginning.
Old 2008-12-12, 01:30   Link #40
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Now that the Glass Mask manga has started up again, they'll have to do a new anime sooner or later. It would be pretty long if they decided to go all the way back to the beginning.
The manga started up again? I wasn't aware that it hadn't reached a conclusion. (I wasn't going to read the manga until after I'd finished the anime.)

Hopefully if they make more Glass Mask, they will just pick up at episode 53 of this series since it would be so redundant to go back to the beginning for a third time when it was done so amazingly well this time.