AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you continue to watch a series AFTER it has been licensed?
YES, no Matter what 15 28.85%
YES, but only if the best groups continue 4 7.69%
Depends by which Company holds the license 1 1.92%
No, if the best groups drop it 2 3.85%
NO, NEVER 9 17.31%
I will download it, then Definitely buy the DVD's 7 13.46%
Depends on the series 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-15, 18:36   Link #1
Worldestroyer
IRC lurker

Send a message via AIM to Worldestroyer Send a message via MSN to Worldestroyer
License's, Fansub's and DVD's

I've been noticing lately that companys have started to qucikly license a series half-way threw or near the end with like 3 eps remaining. Instead of waiting until the series is finished. (Some series come to mind.. like Chrno Crusades, Maburaho, etc.)

I always here people saying "YAY i can get <insert licensed anime's title here>'s DVD's now. Yippie!!". Not everyone has enough $ to spend $30 on 4episodes of a series that is nice to watch but isn't our favorite.

People's internest in anime will slowly weindle as the only series left un-licensed before 1/2 of it's episodes are shown are series that people don't find interesting (or people might find to ecchi.... not like i would care). Soon the only way to watch series to see if they are interesting will be to watched them dubb'd, edited, and whored out series on the dreaded "toonami", "WB fun Pack or "the FOX BOX".

I would just like to start a disscusion on what YOU think about what's happening to the anime community about licenseing and how it will effect you and your watching off anime.

I personally don't mind watching a sub of a licensed series, but the only groups left subbing it are 3rd rate groups which pisses me off. I know there will be people who will bash me and this people in this thread about watching Licensed anime, but to you all Please post something constructive or don't post at all.

Last edited by Worldestroyer; 2004-03-15 at 18:46.
Old 2004-03-15, 18:47   Link #2
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

I voted never. Then again im old school, the minute its licenced i stop, no matter how much love i have for the series.

Prefer a dvd in hand 9 months down the line, than a downloaded file, it looks better, better audio-visual, the dreaded dub (which i enjoy at times), extras, dvd boxes the lot. Makes me proud to be animeondvd fan.
Old 2004-03-15, 18:48   Link #3
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

if i could vote twice, i would choose the last two options.
the great thing about free (legal) fansubs is that it gives me an opportunity to choose which dvd's to purchase when they become licensed.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
Old 2004-03-15, 18:49   Link #4
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!

It depends on the series. If its something I'm enjoying, and it gets licensed half way through, then yes, I will continue to download it. I don't want to wait god knows how many months in order to find out what happens next. If it's something that I'm just watching for the hell of it, then I may just leave it.

Fansubs have allowed me to watch many series that I wouldn't even think about buying, series that as you said, are nice to watch but arent enjoyable enough (to me) to warrant a DVD purchase.

If I decide the series is worth my money, then I'll buy the DVDs.
Old 2004-03-15, 18:54   Link #5
karrde

I have to take the cheaters way out and say it depends on the series. There are things that I watch fansubbed that I wouldn't spend money on. If for some reason it gets licenced with 3-4 shows to go, I'm more likely to find those last 4 eps than to wait 6 months for the licencer to finally get arround to putting out thier last disc.

There is so much anime out there that if I was to purchace everything I watch, I'd need a second job just to pay for it. So the money has to go to specific areas.
Old 2004-03-15, 19:15   Link #6
Hisoka44

yes, yes, yes and yes. I will continue if it is a good series, not like a watch bad series anyway.
Old 2004-03-15, 19:24   Link #7
Bindibadgi
We'll miss u Hughes

If its good enough i will continue to watch it and buy the DVDs. If its crap, it gets deleted.

Its the only way i sample new anime series and the only way i get to know what its like in order to see if its worth buying DVDs.

Put basically - no fansubs = no DVD purchases from me.
Old 2004-03-15, 19:36   Link #8
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldestroyer
I've been noticing lately that companys have started to qucikly license a series half-way threw or near the end with like 3 eps remaining. Instead of waiting until the series is finished. (Some series come to mind.. like Chrno Crusades, Maburaho, etc.)

I always here people saying "YAY i can get <insert licensed anime's title here>'s DVD's now. Yippie!!". Not everyone has enough $ to spend $30 on 4episodes of a series that is nice to watch but isn't our favorite.
If you can't afford it, tough sh*t. You go without.

Quote:
People's internest in anime will slowly weindle as the only series left un-licensed before 1/2 of it's episodes are shown are series that people don't find interesting (or people might find to ecchi.... not like i would care). Soon the only way to watch series to see if they are interesting will be to watched them dubb'd, edited, and whored out series on the dreaded "toonami", "WB fun Pack or "the FOX BOX".
If you can't accept that or aren't willing to watch it since you don't want to buy the DVD which may or may not have subs, then that's your own fault really.

Quote:
I would just like to start a disscusion on what YOU think about what's happening to the anime community about licenseing and how it will effect you and your watching off anime.

I personally don't mind watching a sub of a licensed series, but the only groups left subbing it are 3rd rate groups which pisses me off. I know there will be people who will bash me and this people in this thread about watching Licensed anime, but to you all Please post something constructive or don't post at all.
The reason why only 3rd rate groups continue subbing licensed series as you say is most of the time they don't follow fansub ethics. Would you rather a better group continue subbing a licensed series, and then get sued by a company like Bandai/Funimation/etc. for subbing a series licensed by them, and then as a result, they never sub anything ever again? While this may not happen with every licensed series that's out there, the possibility does exist.
Old 2004-03-15, 19:44   Link #9
Worldestroyer
IRC lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
If you can't afford it, tough sh*t. You go without.

If you can't accept that or aren't willing to watch it since you don't want to buy the DVD which may or may not have subs, then that's your own fault really.

The reason why only 3rd rate groups continue subbing licensed series as you say is most of the time they don't follow fansub ethics. Would you rather a better group continue subbing a licensed series, and then get sued by a company like Bandai/Funimation/etc. for subbing a series licensed by them, and then as a result, they never sub anything ever again? While this may not happen with every licensed series that's out there, the possibility does exist.
1. You say that because your can probley afford to purchase the DVD's, or you can live w/o anime or have less of a adiction to it then some of us.
2. I understand what your saying, but can someone *REALLY* sue a sub group? (although you could sue the place where they release their torrents etc.). Anyways some the bigger groups still continue to sub licensed series, i can think of a bunch of times off of the top of my head. But it seems they are *all* afraid of big-bad ADV
Old 2004-03-15, 19:59   Link #10
Lambda

I more or less completely ignore licensing, except for the detail that I try to buy as many DVDs as I can justify, (pretending I've never seen anything but still somehow know how good everything is), and I can only do that for available series.
Old 2004-03-15, 20:13   Link #11
method

Why should companies wait until the series are finished? Heaven forbid a company try to make it avaliable for people in form they like. Things like this are to be expected when you download fansubs. Depending on the country, people can be sued.
Old 2004-03-15, 20:16   Link #12
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Quote:
1. You say that because your can probley afford to purchase the DVD's, or you can live w/o anime or have less of a adiction to it then some of us.
Well, that's life. It is how they saw the cookie crumbles. Maybe you need to take a hard look at yourself and put some priorities in order perhaps? Just a suggestion.
Old 2004-03-15, 20:21   Link #13
cheez
duh?

Send a message via ICQ to cheez Send a message via AIM to cheez
I have no qualms about continuing to download a licensed series because I will never buy DVDs of a series that I have not already watched in its entirety, to ensure that I LIKE it. I will finish downloading a series that is licensed midway through, and then make the buy/not buy decision when the series has finished airing.
Old 2004-03-15, 20:31   Link #14
Hisoka44

Quote:
The reason why only 3rd rate groups continue subbing licensed series as you say is most of the time they don't follow fansub ethics.
you are a really stupid man/woman/thing/child. you really belive that is good in subbing anime is a group that follow the "fansub ethics" ? (notice "" in fansub ethics)

well it almost killes me to see suchs ignorance. hope you will later on in life get to realise that just because ppl do something you don't like they are automaticly bad/worse than you/then the ppl that do things you like.
Old 2004-03-15, 20:39   Link #15
Worldestroyer
IRC lurker

Quote:
Well, that's life. It is how they saw the cookie crumbles. Maybe you need to take a hard look at yourself and put some priorities in order perhaps? Just a suggestion.
Like i said, you say that because your in a position to. This is a argument i nor you can win since it's based on view and standpoint.

I have a feeling like this is going to start to turn into a flaming thread....
Old 2004-03-15, 21:10   Link #16
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka44
you are a really stupid man/woman/thing/child. you really belive that is good in subbing anime is a group that follow the "fansub ethics" ? (notice "" in fansub ethics)

well it almost killes me to see suchs ignorance. hope you will later on in life get to realise that just because ppl do something you don't like they are automaticly bad/worse than you/then the ppl that do things you like.
*digs through really atrocious grammar to figure out the meaning of the post*
Okay, so you're saying that he's saying that not doing things "his way" is wrong? Well, sorry to break it to you, but the whole "fansubber ethics" thing is an idea that is not only his. Although it can be cloudy at times as to what's ethical, fansubbers who follow "ethics" generally follow the idea that they are bringing subtitled anime to viewers at the least expense of commercial companies. If everyone just simply started subbing whatever they felt like and ignoring companies, you'll see the anime fansubbing scene deteriorate into something resembling the warez scene.
Old 2004-03-15, 21:12   Link #17
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

I find DVDs can be fairly cheap at the moment, if you know where to shop that is.

As for me, I'm a DVD-only person now. I dont have the means to watch Anime on TV, and I like having a collection.
Old 2004-03-15, 21:17   Link #18
Go-lytely

Quote:
2. I understand what your saying, but can someone *REALLY* sue a sub group? (although you could sue the place where they release their torrents etc.). Anyways some the bigger groups still continue to sub licensed series, i can think of a bunch of times off of the top of my head. But it seems they are *all* afraid of big-bad ADV
I really dont think it would be hard for companies to find out who the individuals are within a fansub group. So they probably could if they wanted to. I agree though that it would be easier for them to go after the distributors first.
Old 2004-03-15, 21:42   Link #19
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

I'll say it also largely depends on which company holds the license. If they are braindead bastards like Tokyopop who violently rape every series they get, I certainly won't touch it with a ten meter pole.
If the company did a really good job on it, and it includes subs (otherwise I won't touch it, don't want to lose my hearing), and I really like the series, I'll go and buy the Dvds.

Last edited by Lina Inverse; 2004-03-16 at 20:10.
Old 2004-03-15, 22:13   Link #20
Hisoka44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
*digs through really atrocious grammar to figure out the meaning of the post*
Okay, so you're saying that he's saying that not doing things "his way" is wrong? Well, sorry to break it to you, but the whole "fansubber ethics" thing is an idea that is not only his. Although it can be cloudy at times as to what's ethical, fansubbers who follow "ethics" generally follow the idea that they are bringing subtitled anime to viewers at the least expense of commercial companies. If everyone just simply started subbing whatever they felt like and ignoring companies, you'll see the anime fansubbing scene deteriorate into something resembling the warez scene.
i know it is not his idea.. he is prolly refering to that website that state some diffrent things about what he thinks is ethical.
if the fansubbing scene was just dvdrip dvds with english sub then sure, it would be bad. But subbing stuff on your own with your own translations even though it is licenced doesn't have to make it bad. As the person stated, "The reason why only 3rd rate groups continue subbing licensed series". I don't find that true and you are only dumb if you think that. But i agree to some extent. If it was as soulless as regular warez it wouldn't be so good, but the idea of not fansubbing licenced anime because some fool thinks it is wrong is just so stupid. To talk about ethics when you are already breaking the law on several accounts, i find that disturbing.
The most disturbing is that the majority of the leechers thinks it is very legal if it isn't licenced, even though it says on this site that it is infact illegal.
Sorry for long post and bad english, can't expect anyone that doesn't speak it on a regular basis to actually be good at it.
Closed Thread