AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-09-09, 22:41   Link #1441
supermegasonic

with how the anime is going rite now, it feels it will just end without any climax or super mystery, last episode will probably have them doing whatever, and than it just ends out of no where.
Old 2012-09-10, 02:04   Link #1442
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegasonic View Post
with how the anime is going rite now, it feels it will just end without any climax or super mystery, last episode will probably have them doing whatever, and than it just ends out of no where.
I don't know about "doing whatever". It might not end in a crazy high-suspense climax, but that doesn't mean it can't close the anime in a satisfying way. Oreki's character development has probably nearly finished anyway, and it doesn't really need a huge mystery to change that.

It might end with some self-realization on Oreki's part and a confession . We might get something like episode 21, except much more low-key. I can't imagine a huge conflict on Oreki and Chitanda's side after all, as opposed to Satoshi and Mayaka's side where there were some latent issues that needed to be resolved.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 12:10   Link #1443
Warm Mist

This anime has yet to really disappoint me, it's a masterpiece in terms of everything that isn't the script or plot, and even in that regard it's in my opinion a standout of its genre. The degree of subtlety some dialogues and episodes can achieve far surpass the anime mean, which is far more theatrical, and I find it to be extremely fitting for this kind of low-key, ambiance relying show.

Surely the ending won't be bad. It may not be the greatest possible outcome, but I'm sure it will be at least as entertaining as the better episodes of Hyouka.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 20:17   Link #1444
xSNOWx

I only started watching it last night but im already really enjoying it. Cant't wait for more!
xSNOWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 20:23   Link #1445
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Finally, someone released a translated manga. Some crucial clue has been left out though. Probably a mistake from the mangaka. But really, Houtarou was so grey back then.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 00:19   Link #1446
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Can anyone make a basic timeline of when each ep happens?

I only can figure out these

1st ep - around April
ep 21 - February the next year
ep 22 - March 3rd
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 02:31   Link #1447
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post

1st ep - around April
ep 22 - March 3rd
This timeframe from the eyecatch by ultimatemegax (hope you don't mind me posting it) will be a great guideline:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 07:44   Link #1448
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
This timeframe from the eyecatch by ultimatemegax (hope you don't mind me posting it) will be a great guideline:
No problems here. I was shocked that no one was commenting on the timeframe of the series. Once I saw that episode 22 was in March, I knew instantly that this anime was composed to only cover their first year. It's very fitting IMO. I also like that the short stories span the year as well in novel 4 (1.5, 6,7,19-22). It's important enough that the JP wiki mentions the solar term in each episode's eyecatch.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 09:51   Link #1449
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
No problems here. I was shocked that no one was commenting on the timeframe of the series. Once I saw that episode 22 was in March, I knew instantly that this anime was composed to only cover their first year. It's very fitting IMO. I also like that the short stories span the year as well in novel 4 (1.5, 6,7,19-22). It's important enough that the JP wiki mentions the solar term in each episode's eyecatch.
Never thought of it until Oreki mentioned about the incident in April, and then I realised Girl's Day is in March.
Old 2012-09-17, 12:08   Link #1450
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Not sure if these have been posted before (or if there are better pages), but here are two pages of photos of "holy places" seen in the anime, and a Google map.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 07:41   Link #1451
s07195
However,

How are the DVD/BD sales of Hyouka doing? I kind of want to know so that we can know if there's a chance Kyoani will do something similar to this. This series is a treat.
Old 2012-11-07, 13:06   Link #1452
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
How are the DVD/BD sales of Hyouka doing? I kind of want to know so that we can know if there's a chance Kyoani will do something similar to this. This series is a treat.
Averaging close to 10k on Oricon sales (which are not 100% of total amount sold). Easily a profitable show. One can wonder how it would've sold if Kadokawa decided against their 2-episodes a disc practice.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 20:39   Link #1453
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post

1st ep - around April
ep 22 - March 3rd
my revised timeline after rewatched the anime.

Hyouka anime timeline
-- novel timeline is different.
-- there were dates which I can't fixed, so I will leave it in the correct interval without date attached. people are welcome to add on to it.
-- format date (incident name, episode number) <date reference>

02/14 (Valentine Day, 21) <holiday>
04/09? (school year started) <Japan>
04/18? (Geology Ready Room Incident, 01) <one month before Library Incident>
05/09? (Bulletin Board Incident, 01) <essay title "School Started One Month Reflection">
05/18 (Library Incident, 02) <alarm clock>
05/20 (Cafe Date with Chitanda, 02-03) <phone clock, newspaper>
05/28-05/31 (Midterm Exam, 03) <Midterm Exam Schedule>
(Biology Ready Room Incident, 03)
06/24 (Kotenbu meeting at Chitanda's, 04) <phone clock>
06/25 (Hyouka Incident, 05) <the day after the meeting>
07/03 (Math Class Incident, 06) <Blackboard>
(Onsen Incident, 07)
(Movie Incident, 08-11)
(Swimming Pool Incident, 11.5)
10/04-10/06 (Culture Festival Incident, 12-17) <festival booklet, website, phone clock>
(Helicopter Incident, 18)
11/01 (PA Incident, 19) <Chitanda, Blackboard, Calendar>

01/01 (Temple Incident, 20) <holiday>
02/13 (Valentine Day Incident, 21) <holiday>
04/03 (Hinamatsuri Incident, 22) <holiday, calendar>
04/08? (school year starts)
04 (Houtaro's birthday, new member incident) <book 5>
05 (Star Valley Cup 20km Marathon, new member incident) <book 5>

Last edited by Hata; 2012-11-13 at 19:12.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 16:32   Link #1454
ilovejavachip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
04 (Houtaro's birthday)
you know his birthday? how?
ilovejavachip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 19:13   Link #1455
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejavachip View Post
timeline edited for reference source.
Old 2012-11-13, 21:13   Link #1456
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejavachip View Post
Hopefully we'll get a translation of the last novel so we can see how chitanda deals with his birthday.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 07:03   Link #1457
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
Hopefully we'll get a translation of the last novel so we can see how chitanda deals with his birthday.
She does nothing I guess, same as with valentine since he is close to her
Old 2015-03-21, 17:02   Link #1458
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
This is it.

This is the show that proves a normal everyman can be a compelling lead. It shows us a young boy who's general disposition has no dramatic strings attached to him. Just a naturally lazy guy being worked into so many tiring situations at the behest of a curious lass, a pushy older sister, and a not couple that indirectly and directly gets on his case.

Poor Houtarou.

Being asked to think much more than he'd like to exhausts him in more ways than one. For a guy who can so often deduce the how of so many mysteries, it's the why that often eludes him while his heartful opposite in Eru understands what this detective doesn't deduce. Him becoming a little more empathetic, her becoming a little more restrained, Houtarou and Eru's growth through the story is Black and White becoming cherry blossom pink instead of a dull gray.

Gray being the color Satoshi uses to describe our lead. Every so often this fool shows an envious side of himself reflecting the reaches of a soul he'd rather not show to girl and friend but not girlfriend Mayaka. Make no mistake though, Mayaka isn't completely bound by her feelings for Satoshi. Does she think it nice if she and him were to go out? Definitely. But she's also level-headed about the whole affair, and the four friends hang out all the same tackling one triviality after another.

The piece itself calmly channels a high amount of energy. It never drags its feet trying to get anywhere, but there's never a moment when things suddenly pick up. Things don't happen suddenly (except for Mayaka's manga midadventures. Seriously, did anyone check the script on that?), but slowly. It doesn't get better, because it demands a special commitment in the first place; it's atmosphere serves to lull viewers to placidity, but its story demands pondering.

It's not going to be for everyone, despite all appearances. Hyouka is like catnip for those who can wrap their minds around the rare confluence of elements about it, and completely unnoticeable to anyone else. Then again, maybe the people who liked this piece were just lucky. Would you like to just blindly believe my theory or investigate the situation yourself?

I'm curious~
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 20:12   Link #1459
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
It's coming.
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/statu...53257600192513
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-13, 20:37   Link #1460
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Excellent news! Hopefully someone picks it up to release here in Europe as well.

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life