AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 17 11.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 34.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 39.16%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 11.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.10%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.70%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-30, 17:55   Link #61
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
Woo the plot is back on track.
???
You mean....after 9 episodes of plot? Each and everything we have seen so far has a relevance to the story. There's nothing that could have been omitted, lest the whole picture would have suffered from it.
Old 2007-05-30, 17:57   Link #62
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiled one View Post
IOL I just realized something!

In 19:52. After Clare gets beaten and awakes from her slumber, she`s follows them from behind while "smiling" ?

Does it look like she is smiling? If so.. Why? -_-
I thought she was smiling because it pains the other Claymores that she actually followed them despite their taunting. Deneve and Helen told her not to follow as they thought she was a waste of space and time. That's why they leave her on the ground; they don't want her to follow.

I thought she smiled out of pure spite to let them know that she was not giving up. But heck, that's just my pure speculation.
Old 2007-05-30, 18:04   Link #63
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd View Post
???
You mean....after 9 episodes of plot? Each and everything we have seen so far has a relevance to the story. There's nothing that could have been omitted, lest the whole picture would have suffered from it.
While in the general sense the flashback with Teresa was suitable and necessary, I still think that the execution of the transition to the flashback was very badly done.

When Clare's little arc in Rabona ended, there has been absolutely no necessity to Teresa's arc. It was too sudden and had absolutely no buildup. The pacing just felt clumsy.

Only in retrospect can one appreaciate the importance of the flashback. But when you are just watching the story as it unfolded, the lack of a suitable lead in to Teresa's story was a bad decision on the part of the author.

Last edited by MrProphet; 2007-05-30 at 18:26.
Old 2007-05-30, 18:10   Link #64
LilleNisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It seems you are missing something important if this puzzles you. Claymores are all women. We have been told that Awakened Ones are former Claymores. That's why it might be surprising for a male to "awaken".
Exactly my point. Claymores are all women. I just made it sound weird I guese. Since it's a male "awaken" I figure it's got to be more to this. Or is it like a yuoma can awaken to a higher state?
Since as I get it, only claymores can awaken. And they are all females...
Im I make my point clearer now?
Old 2007-05-30, 18:22   Link #65
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Since as I get it, only claymores can awaken. And they are all females...
Actually, interesting side point that I'm not entirely sure of. Remember the youma in episode 1 that was impersonating a Claymore? Well, obviously it was impersonating a female, yet Clare referred to it as 'him'. Not sure if that's due to translation of a gender-neutral reference, but it seemed odd that even a youma that had a female appearance was considered male.
Old 2007-05-30, 18:32   Link #66
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Talking

I think about it...

Normal men become a Youma.

Warrior Men (or other important) maybe become a Awakened.

Spoiler for About the Episode::

PS: Sorry my English.

Last edited by Rhyel; 2007-05-30 at 18:36. Reason: correction of spoiler...
Old 2007-05-30, 18:39   Link #67
Tom Bombadil

Overall pretty good. But around 19:50 Clare looks pretty weired. Either it is the movement of the head or the eyes. And as some one mentioned before, in the ensuing conversation between Maria and Helen, both wore completely blank faces. On the upside, the scenery in the end is gorgeous.
Old 2007-05-30, 18:44   Link #68
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyelys View Post
Normal men become a Youma.
No, you've misunderstood a very central idea of Claymore.

Yoma are not men who have turned into demons! Yoma are a completely different species that can masquerade as humans.

Awekened beings are yoma-human hybrids who had succumbed to their demonic side and released its powers. For some reason, inclusion of human flesh makes their powers exponentially higher than that of pure yoma. Why that is the fact is unknown.
Old 2007-05-30, 18:48   Link #69
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
While in the general sense the flashback with Teresa was suitable and necessary, I still think that the execution of the transition to the flashback was very badly done.

When Clare's little arc in Rabona ended, there has been absolutely no necessity to Teresa's arc. It was too sudden and had absolutely no buildup. The pacing just felt clumsy.

Only in retrospect can one appreaciate the importance of the flashback. But when you are just watching the story as it unfolded, the lack of a suitable lead in to Teresa's story was a bad decision on the part of the author.

Not on the part of the author, no. The anime adaption already shortened several things that were present in the manga. There is some sort of a controversy going on, wether those omitted parts were really that important to the plot.
My viewpoint being, yes. Everything depicted in the manga served a purpose. There is no "filler" in showing us aspects of the world created by the original author.

I wasn't commenting on execution though. Just because it felt weird how some incidents were presented in the anime, that doesn't mean that they hold no relevance to the plot. That they were a mere sidenote.
Old 2007-05-30, 18:53   Link #70
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I don't know. I've read the manga and my opinion is not changed.

This is obviously not a discussion for this thread, but let me just say that the pace of the narrative in either version (manga and anime) seems flawed to me in this particular arc.
Old 2007-05-30, 19:09   Link #71
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
No, you've misunderstood a very central idea of Claymore.

Yoma are not men who have turned into demons! Yoma are a completely different species that can masquerade as humans.

Awekened beings are yoma-human hybrids who had succumbed to their demonic side and released its powers. For some reason, inclusion of human flesh makes their powers exponentially higher than that of pure yoma. Why that is the fact is unknown.
I need to study more about Claymore... Thanks
Old 2007-05-30, 19:12   Link #72
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Interesting anime this is so far.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-30, 19:44   Link #73
Anime Online

When I realized that Clare is the lowest ranked Claymore, I was stunned and two thoughts came swiftly to my mind.

(a) She's the weakest? How can this be?
(b) And if she's the weakest, how much stronger would those other Claymores be?

Upon further thought, I thought being the lowest ranked doesn't automatically mean Clare's the weakest. Then again, I'm not certain how their ranking system works, but from the Teresa arc, it seems to be a measure of a Claymore's power.

But wait, doesn't this mean Elena in the Black Card incident is higher ranked than Clare?

Anyhow, so we get Miria testing Clare in search of potential, which leaves Clare disarmed and exhausted. Then we have Miria injured when the Awakened Being showed himself. At that point, I'm like "Uh oh, maybe what that guy in black told Clare about being torn into pieces would be true afterall"

And about Clare smiling when she was following behind. Was she really smiling? Perhaps she's thinking, "Ha! Look down on me, will ya? Just you wait, I'll be the one saving your ass later!"

I wonder what Episode#10 would bring.

(a) Would Clare's hidden potential be revealed in the face of an overwhelmingly powerful enemy (standard anime/manga cliche)?
(b) Or would Clare save the day by using some kind of underhanded stab-to-the-back-like-what-Priscilla-did tactic?
(c) Or would Clare get torn to bits, have Raki come retrieve her corpse and then run to the guy in black (deja vu!)?
Old 2007-05-30, 19:59   Link #74
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
But wait, doesn't this mean Elena in the Black Card incident is higher ranked than Clare?
Yes, but it's not like they really fought. She just had Clare kill her.
Old 2007-05-30, 20:27   Link #75
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
Hmm, seems like the the series is catching up to the manga pretty fast...
Old 2007-05-30, 20:46   Link #76
Archmagination2002

Not really.. the anime is slowing down now that it is getting into the more important points.
Old 2007-05-30, 21:14   Link #77
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmagination2002 View Post
Not really.. the anime is slowing down now that it is getting into the more important points.
There's nothing more important than Teresa and chibi-Clare. NOTHING!

Pacing seems similar to manga, though it kind of depends on the next episode. Hard to tell from one eps of a new arc.
Old 2007-05-30, 21:41   Link #78
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Scene 09 - The Slashers, Part I

Right now I have already seen the episode, and I am starting to understand the manga readers' feelings for Miria, Deneve, and Helen.

They turned out what most you expected an waited for. They are about to start kicking butt, hoping for next episode, and are so freaking cool.

BTW, Helen possess quite a sharp tongue. I would take that for her abilities and skills would be something that I've never seen before and would just keep getting better and better from episode to episode.

The flashback used during the intro for the episode was quite a moving and poignant conclusion to the Teresa arc, in my humble opinion.
Spoiler:

They threw plenty of good and important stuff about the power levels and ranking system.
Spoiler:

People seriously I cannot understand why are you so either destructively or straightforwardly about Laki. I already have much of that with all the criticism on Sergey in the My-Otome thread.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-30, 22:00   Link #79
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Ah ha, someone who went through the Sergay controversies in My Otome - I salute you. The hate spreads quickly doesn't it. XD

Punching him dead in the forehead (playfully) wasn't something I'd expect from Clare, but then again, I didn't expect Teresa to teasingly call Clare a 'crybaby' when she first escaped execution in the flashback arc.

These two are a family and let's face it - if Clare hears you talking bad abour Raki, you'll be on the non-negotiable end of her claymore.
Old 2007-05-30, 22:10   Link #80
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Punching him dead in the forehead (playfully) wasn't something I'd expect from Clare, but then again, I didn't expect Teresa to teasingly call Clare a 'crybaby' when she first escaped execution in the flashback arc.
I'd have to agree. Before Rabona it would have been impossible. She's finally started to relax around him. Those two are really becoming more like family.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread