Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-11, 13:14   Link #1
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Kids' Anime

I didn't see any threads about anime for little kids in the first few pages, so I figured it was safe to post a new thread for it.

I have a 5-year old daughter who just recently showed my wife and I, somewhat surprisingly, that she could read subtitles and still follow what was going on in a show. After talking with my wife a bit about it, I'd like to try and find an anime she might like, even if it were subtitled.

A few notes about my daughter:
  • While she does like the typical Disney Princess stuff she is by far much more a fan of the new Disney Fairies and Tinkerbell.
  • She also enjoys shows like Phineas & Ferb and The Penguins of Madagascar.
  • She loves sight gags.

If anyone can suggest anything along these lines I would greatly appreciate it. It doesn't have to be particularly new, either. I'm not particular about that. Thank you in advance.
Old 2010-11-11, 13:30   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

5 years old?

Errrrr, has she seen Ponyo on the Cliff of the Sea?
Old 2010-11-11, 13:37   Link #3
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

She has indeed and enjoyed it. Not quite as much as My Neighbor Totoro, but she still quite liked it.

Totoro is one of her favorite movies currently, btw.
Old 2010-11-11, 13:39   Link #4
jedinat

Cardcaptor Sakura?
Shugo Chara!?
Gakuen Alice?
Old 2010-11-11, 15:06   Link #5
james0246

Mujin Wakusei Survive - still one of my favourite children's anime programs...
Old 2010-11-11, 15:32   Link #6
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
That IS a good one. I double that~

Hmmm.... off the top of my head....

- Tokyo Mew Mew
- Sailor Moon (Well, maybe not the later seasons...)
- Azumanga Daioh (Dunno.... I'm kinda iffy on it, anyone else?)
- Castle in the Sky (I'd trust anything from Studio Ghibli~)
Old 2010-11-11, 15:52   Link #7
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
- Azumanga Daioh (Dunno.... I'm kinda iffy on it, anyone else?)
Well there are few sex related things like boob joke a the perv teacher,not to mention having to explain to a kid what the "ero ero" scene from episode 14 was all about...

Kobato comes to mind

So does Dennou Coil though maybe that's more in the 7-8 year old range.
Old 2010-11-11, 16:26   Link #8
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

I'll investigate some of these suggestions so far a bit further, but I am at least vaguely familiar with Card Captor Sakura. I'll look into that one first. Thanks to everyone for the input so far, and by all means continue. Kudos to all of you too, I really appreciate the help here.
Old 2010-11-11, 17:05   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Cardcaptor Sakura has a few adult themes, though it shouldn't be that much of a bother, really. I'll second Shuga Chara though, which is most suited for a girl that age.

There's also the Precure franchise, so i'd have to recommend the most recent and personal favorite Heartcatch Precure.
Old 2010-11-11, 18:47   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, off the bat, I'd suggest Chi's Sweet Home. You'll need to search for the torrents on Google because AS can't list them here.

Another show that might appeal to a girl that young is Angelic Layer. You can watch it free with subtitles at Crunchyroll or register to watch it with dubbing at theanimenetwork.com. It's also available at Netflix.

She might also like Windy Tales, though it might be a bit slow for her tastes.

Hanamaru Kindergarten might also work; the kids are all her age. Still there's a lot of focus on a possible romance between two of the teachers, and the main little girl's crush on her teacher pushes the envelope at times. Pre-screening recommended, and you'll probably enjoy it at least as much as her, if not more.

You'll find a lot of suggestions here: http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=girls. I've posted in most of those threads so you can read my comments there.

Shows that might seem plausible, but that I'd probably avoid at this age, or at the least pre-screen, include

Today in 5-2 - much too ecchi
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin - lots of drama; some of it very disturbing (not sexually)
Dennou Coil - perhaps too complex? some deeply sad events in the late going, especially for a young girl
Noein - great show, but too complex probably at her age
Tweeny Witches - a take on Alice in Wonderland, but very dark
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - another show with great kids, but some very sad events

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-11-11 at 19:01.
Old 2010-11-11, 18:52   Link #11
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I don't think you should grab Castle in the Sky... (there is violence)
Old 2010-11-11, 18:54   Link #12
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

Yep recommended Angelic Layer and adding Chiccha na Yuki Tsukai Sugar
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Old 2010-11-12, 06:19   Link #13
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Chi's Sweet Home would be the best choice. I think Card Captor Sakura is a good series, but not for a 5-year-old. It would be better to wait a couple of years before showing it to her, so she will be able to understand it better.
Old 2010-11-12, 06:41   Link #14
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Pretty much all mentions of Studio Ghibli stuff in this thread. Card Captor Sakura is iffy if a prepubescent girl wearing skimpy leotards while being filmed by a close-to-drooling best friend is considered good for 5 year olds.
Old 2010-11-12, 06:58   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Card Captor Sakura is iffy if a prepubescent girl wearing skimpy leotards while being filmed by a close-to-drooling best friend is considered good for 5 year olds.
That's why i said it has a few adult themes.

Though the show's target audience was a young age, sure maybe not 5 years old, though it's enjoyed all around the world by a young audience. I guess it's just upto DJLowrider if he wants his Daughter to watch such a show now. If not, then personally i think it's something she should watch when she's a little bit older. It shouldn't be missed.
Old 2010-11-12, 08:58   Link #16
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Though the show's target audience was a young age, sure maybe not 5 years old, though it's enjoyed all around the world by a young audience. I guess it's just upto DJLowrider if he wants his Daughter to watch such a show now. If not, then personally i think it's something she should watch when she's a little bit older. It shouldn't be missed.
I'm not worried about a little mature-themed content in what she watches. Odds are anything in CCS is likely tame compared to the sort of stuff that goes on in the other shows Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney Channel offer.

She's also watched such movies as The Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride and the first two Harry Potter movies, none of which have managed to scare her or anything like that. Hell, she sings along to the "This is Halloween" song in Nightmare. Kind of makes us smile when she does that.

Also, this won't technically be my daughter's first exposure to anime. Back when she was about 2 or so she was sitting on our couch with me while my wife and I were watching the last few episodes of Berserk. Her reaction to the action in those last few episodes was maniacal laughter, I kid you not. I might be in trouble later in life...

I did think of Precure but wasn't sure it'd be recommended or not. I'll give it a look as well, along with Angelic Layer and Chi's Sweet Home. Though CCS also came recommended by a friend of mine off of the forums, so I'll definitely be giving it a look now.

I'll be sure to report back if/when I've made any decisions on any shows we end up letting her watch. Thanks again, and by all means keep things rolling if any other ideas come to mind.
Old 2010-11-12, 09:26   Link #17
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Another series just came to my mind which is Adventures of Mini-Goddesses. My partner's nephew enjoyed it a lot.
Old 2010-11-12, 16:23   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
I'm not worried about a little mature-themed content in what she watches.
I'm actually more concerned about material that might hit too close to home at her age -- shows where parents, siblings, or pets die, for instance. My warnings above have more to do with issues like those.

Rather than another post, I'll just mention that this show just appeared on the AS listings. Sounds plausible for a young girl, subject to my general qualms above.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-11-13 at 13:16.
Closed Thread

Tags
children, girls