AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-06-07, 05:24   Link #21
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

I'm guessing they finally told chief about the armour powers that had slipped their mind the past 10 years, whoops but at least he gets them now

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 06:59   Link #22
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
Atleast its nowhere near as bad as Activision milking Call of Duty. And after seeing that unimpressive 13 minute demo of MW3, its quite apparent nothing much has changed between MW3 and MW2. I look forward to Halo 4, I have trust in 343 Studios that they won't screw this up. I'm thinking of getting Halo anniversary, but I'll probably save my money for the bigger titles later this year, such as Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.
Indeed. At least they're respectfully keeping a two year gap between the major releases. Not doing this yearly churning of a major Halo game every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
343? As in Guilty Spark 343?
Yes. That's the name of the studio that Microsoft formed to handle the Halo IP after Bungie began to split with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Since when did Master Chief had Jetpacks on his suit?
I think it HAS been mentioned that Chief has manuevering thrusters in his suit in the novel. Not sure.

OTOH, it could simply be that the Armory Sergeant in Halo 2 was gonna tell you about them, but Chief got dragged off to get a medal before he could get the sit rep
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 12:04   Link #23
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

He never really gets a minute to check out his armor does he. Maybe that rest period gave him time for a techical journal on his new suit.
Old 2011-06-07, 12:29   Link #24
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
He never really gets a minute to check out his armor does he. Maybe that rest period gave him time for a techical journal on his new suit.
That is a good point. The impression I get is that after the catastrophe at Reach, the UNSC REALLY needed to find some excuse to give someone a medal for heroism. Oh. And then here comes Master Chief...except his suit looks like shit. That's not good PR material. So they give him a big fancy new suit just for the award ceremony, thinking they'll have time to let him get more in depth with it later...oh and then the Covenant attack earth, and are in fact boarding the station the ceremony is being held I need a weapon indeed....And an owners manual!
Old 2011-06-07, 12:36   Link #25
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

What kind of gun is he using? Is it just me or is it a new weapon?
Old 2011-06-07, 12:44   Link #26
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

My favorite pairing in Video gaming(not in the ways you would think) is back!

Can't wait to see what epic adventure the MC and Cortana will partake in this time!
Old 2011-06-07, 15:10   Link #27
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Wonder if the Arbiter will be back.
Old 2011-06-07, 16:38   Link #28
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
What kind of gun is he using? Is it just me or is it a new weapon?
Looks like a grenade launcher. Only instead of breach loading like most modern launchers, it sticks in the barrel like a WW2 rifle grenade. Though the rest of the configuration reminds me of the HK69A1, especially the stock and slimmed down nature. You should keep in mind that this thing probably isn't designed as a pistol. It's just that Master Chief is big enough (7 feet tall) to swing it around as such one handed. They did something similar with the SMG design (Looks like a machine pistol on a Spartan, a full sized compact weapon on a Marine).

Old 2011-06-07, 17:43   Link #29
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Seems slightly mundane considering the level of technology Halo's setting entails.
Old 2011-06-07, 18:06   Link #30
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We the humans are still using bullets for the most part.
Old 2011-06-07, 19:08   Link #31
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Seems slightly mundane considering the level of technology Halo's setting entails.
As opposed to the Assault Rifle which is pretty much equivalent to a 20th century assault rifle...except it's got a built in electronic ammo reader and compass that can work in SPACE!

Quote:
We the humans are still using bullets for the most part.
Well that may be true...but the issue isn't so much that humans still use chemically powered missle throwers. The issue is that despite all the rest of their technology, their guns are seemingly the exact same kind of guns humans use in the 20th century. Which is the REAL reason the humans use guns in Halo. So that the players have a set of weapons which are familiar to them.

It's still silly to have humans flying around with hyper advanced AI, power suits, and huge high tech space ships but still using 20th century firearms. It'd be kind of like like using a nuclear powered aircraft carrier to deploy a flight of Helicopters, which drop off a Marine Battalion...and the Marines jump out of the helicopters firing guns like these.

So yeah. I'm not at all surprised that Halo has gone for more familiar, if implausibly primitive weapons. I WILL give them credit on the grenade launcher though. It's configuration is unusual enough that people won't immediately think of it as a mundane present day weapon, and instead think of it as an exotic high tech future weapon, despite not really being more advice. I was impressed with how clever this was.
Old 2011-06-07, 19:31   Link #32
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Unless of course they decided that the high tech solutions were either too large, too prone to faults, too costly, or just ineffective against the Covenent verse rapid fire bullets and chemical explosives. Having easy to make weapons does help when you need them verse an enemy that can literally glass your planets from orbit. Means you don't have to have as advanced an infrustructure in place to fight an invasion.
Old 2011-06-07, 20:55   Link #33
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Pretty excited that we get to see what happens to the chief after the events of halo 3 but I have a few concerns and reservations.

First the musically score from the trailer was pretty weak and had little impact which is something all the previous trailers did pretty well. Then all the immediate differences like cortana'a appearance and the look of the chiefs mjolnir considering the events are immediately after the end of 3.

Obviously 343 will want to do thinks how they want and make their mark on the franchise but at the same time they'll put alot of people off if they mess about with the canon.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 22:07   Link #34
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Unless of course they decided that the high tech solutions were either too large, too prone to faults, too costly, or just ineffective against the Covenent verse rapid fire bullets and chemical explosives.
It's rather unlikely that a civilization with the industrial and technological capacity to build fleets of multi kilometer long faster than light traveling Starships, would not be able to equip their regular soldiers with anything better than 20th century weapons due to technical/cost issues.

It simply doesn't make any sense to spend the resources to manufacture a state of the art high tech war ship or aircraft, then to load it up with troops armed with Matchlock muskets.
Quote:
Having easy to make weapons does help when you need them verse an enemy that can literally glass your planets from orbit. Means you don't have to have as advanced an infrustructure in place to fight an invasion.
Except you NEED a high tech inferstructure to fight people who use planet glassing as a strategy. The only way you can stop them is with high tech space combat vessels. If you don't have it you're dead. If you already have the inferstructure it doesn't make much sense to use such primitive weapons.

The reason UNSC weapons are primitive 20th century weapons is because that's what the audience will be familiar with. That's really the extent of it. From a game design perspective their isn't anything wrong with this choice. There really isn't much else explanation
Old 2011-06-07, 22:24   Link #35
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Unless of course they decided that the high tech solutions were either too large, too prone to faults, too costly, or just ineffective against the Covenent verse rapid fire bullets and chemical explosives. Having easy to make weapons does help when you need them verse an enemy that can literally glass your planets from orbit. Means you don't have to have as advanced an infrustructure in place to fight an invasion.
The only reason why the Covenant were able to steamroll the UNSC was because the UNSC navy fleet was completely outclassed. On average it would take what? 7 Destroyers to take out a single covenant vessel. On ground the UNSC was able to win tactical victories but this was pointless as the Covenant was more interested in glassing the planet anyways. This was also complicated by the fact the Covenant outnumbered the UNSC.

So in reality, the Covenant both outgunned AND outnumbered the UNSC. It was only through the Spartan Program that the UNSC survived and got the Covenant to fracture into two factions that they survived.

During the war the UNSC made hundreds of attempts to replicate salvaged covenant weaponry and all of it was shown in the Spartan program (shields, etc.).

In the novels it was noted that despite the fact that the war had gone on for decades, the UNSC still knew literally nothing about the Covenant and likewise their technology.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 22:56   Link #36
Alchemist007
*Author

It was also their luck to have had the navy that they did, if it wasn't for the insurrectionist fighting, their fleet would be even more stripped. It wouldn't even be a war, just an outright slaughter.
Old 2011-06-07, 23:24   Link #37
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The audience can handle energy weapons that have limited ammo. Dark Forces did that a long time ago.
Old 2011-06-07, 23:48   Link #38
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Wonder if the Arbiter will be back.
They took a portal back into the milky way galaxy and barely made it through, I dont think Arbiter will find him, but how sweet would it be if Arbiter came in to save chief and drop him back on earth... and for some reason I think Master Chief is going die.. i dont know why..

btw I wouldn't be surprised at the new Human Weapons, I mean the UNSC Forward Unto Dawn was the Fleet Admiral Terrence Hood flagship. I bet that thing is packing some heat.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-08, 00:51   Link #39
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
It was also their luck to have had the navy that they did, if it wasn't for the insurrectionist fighting, their fleet would be even more stripped. It wouldn't even be a war, just an outright slaughter.
True, it was noted that if it wasn't for the insurrectionist the UNSC never would've been taught how to fight or even have the military hardware to at least combat the covenant let alone create the Spartans.

The Spartans were created for the sole purpose of taking out the insurrectionists in one hit.

Quote:
They took a portal back into the milky way galaxy and barely made it through, I dont think Arbiter will find him, but how sweet would it be if Arbiter came in to save chief and drop him back on earth... and for some reason I think Master Chief is going die.. i dont know why..

btw I wouldn't be surprised at the new Human Weapons, I mean the UNSC Forward Unto Dawn was the Fleet Admiral Terrence Hood flagship. I bet that thing is packing some heat.
Except we don't know how long the chief had been in cryo. It could've been centuries in which everyone the Chief knew have died and the Spartans have passed into a legend.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-08, 00:58   Link #40
Alchemist007
*Author

Depending on that amount of time passed, I wonder how Cortana's doing with that whole 7 year rampancy threshold. Wouldn't be shocked if she was fairly ok just for being Cortana.

Tags
halo 4, sierra 117