AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-14, 19:49   Link #121
Dark Wing

Well I for one thought the episode was just fine even if they left out stuff from the Novels I realized going in like any other adaption so things a bond to be left out.

Also I respect Kirito for being noble and taking the heat.

Asuna's motivations seem to be what one would think of someone trapped in a game of survival.

As for the boss battle to be the boss actually looked like you typical level one boss character.

Coming potion thing I don't think it was going to work for him at that point anyway.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-07-14 at 20:02.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:50   Link #122
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Wow... Reading throught his topic...

Rushed
Rushed
Rushed
Rushed

Does everyone on this forum know Japanese and read LN's all the time or something?

Also many LN spoilers in here too. >_<

Almost makes me forget my own thoughts on the episode.

It was great. Knight guy wanted to get the item, but realised too late that the boss was different from the beta. Then he died, giving us, the viewer the idea that the threat of death is real (other than you know, 2000 unnamed characters dying offscreen).

Then there's Kirito who seems to shift the hate towards just himself to stop the normal players from distrusting eachother. (at least I think that's what he's doing)

Oh, and Asuna is very pretty. Skilled too. Noob at partying though.
No some of us don't know how to read Japanese. But there are actually fan translations of the novels in different languages including English.

Spoiler for About Asunas strength...:
Old 2012-07-14, 19:55   Link #123
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Ah I did not know that.

Anyway, it's not like I don't understand their sentiments, I mean I've read books before that were made into films later.

Just, seeing the exact same comments over and over for like 6 pages and people starting to discuss the novel rather than the actual episode is kind of.. I dunno what to make of that actually.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:56   Link #124
Rovert10

Quote:
Wait, I should "expect" LN spoilers in an anime-only thread?

Anyway I'm just surprised at the sheer number of them.
The stuff here actually isn't all that spoilish. It's actually events in the novel that should take place here in this episode. You are technically ahead of the actual discussions here.

It just fills in things you would have missed if you just watched the anime.

Though yes people are getting mad that a lot of stuff was missing but it is a side story. I would have preferred they skipped over them.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:56   Link #125
flack

Why is it among any group of people, there is always one dumbass to stir up things.
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:58   Link #126
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

If you mean the "I hate beta testers" guy, he's not a dumbass.

In fact I'm kind of surprised he was the only one.

Also, I haven't read the LN and I don't particularly feel like I missed anything.
Old 2012-07-14, 19:58   Link #127
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Why is it among any group of people, there is always one dumbass to stir up things.
Because that makes good story ?
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:59   Link #128
Rovert10

Quote:
You should look in the Kirito Character discussion then.

Though there is no "one dumbass" here. Everybody's point is valid on why they like or dislike the episode.

Edit: Nvm thought talking about the forum.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:00   Link #129
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Ah I did not know that.

Anyway, it's not like I don't understand their sentiments, I mean I've read books before that were made into films later.

Just, seeing the exact same comments over and over for like 6 pages and people starting to discuss the novel rather than the actual episode is kind of.. I dunno what to make of that actually.
We tend to get overzealous and for that I apologize It's just that through the rose-colored lenses of an LN-reader the 2nd ep just feels "lacking" so to speak. But that's the bane of novel readers right? Guess we just have to deal w/ it

Anyway if viewed by an unbiased eye of the anime-only viewer the episode holds up pretty well
Old 2012-07-14, 20:02   Link #130
james0246

Quote:
Ah I did not know that.

Comparison discussions are not considered spoilers as so long as the info is not revealed in the anime (see spoiler policy here).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:03   Link #131
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Ah I did not know that.

the mods will hammer down on anyone who post spoiler beyond the immediate ep.

the only ln spoilers here will be the stuff that was cut out in the anime.
Old 2012-07-14, 20:04   Link #132
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
How else would we have gems like LEEEEROOOY JENKINNNNN!!!! ?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:07   Link #133
Somnus
Eh?

Hm....how do I comment on this episode? I guess I'll do separate comments based on novel-only nitpicks and as a general anime.

Novel-only nitpicks: (There are no novel spoilers here, just my feelings as a viewer with novel knowledge)

- There's no way around it. If you've read Aria, most likely a part of you died inside when the struggle to cram it into one episode became a reality. My actual comment on this is less negative, but the fact remains that one episode was clearly not enough for...

- Oh depth, where art thou? I've only skimmed over the comments, and I can understand the complaints about some of the cut content. Honestly, I got one development scene out of the potential many so that was already more than I expected. Unfortunately, many scenes that did take place lost A LOT of the feeling behind them due to time constraints. Much significance/detail was lost with:

Diabel's ability as a charismatic leader

Kibaou's feelings representing the casual player (ie. Everyone) and subsequent hatred

Asuna bread scene

The significance of Beta Testers

How the battle was portrayed, and Kirito's actual role in it

Which turns out to be most of the episode. There's a difference between putting it in for the sake of having it, and putting it in to get a point across. Unfortunately these scenes only accomplished the former.

- On the plus side, to my surprise they were able to cut a character entirely with little drawback. Though I enjoyed said character, I'm glad it didn't add to the already over-sized content pile this episode had.

As an anime:

- It's hard to properly judge this neutrally since I was watching with certain expectations in mind, but I still felt as an anime-only viewer I would've felt extreme pacing issues anyways. It felt as if the events jumped everywhere at breakneck speeds, and the viewer barely had a chance to think about it before being presented with something new. That being said, my major issues lie with:

- Diabel. My end reaction being, "So...who was that guy?" You can put all the dramatic music that you want, but in the end I only knew him for 10 minutes.

- That fight scene. The initial charge. Brilliant, I got into it. Then I was presented with a bunch of still frames. What is that nonsense? Followed by a Diabel death scene that meant nothing to me. Luckily from that point the quality of the fight picked up again and I was able to enjoy it to its conclusion.

- The post-battle scene, which somewhat touches upon a novel comment. Why did Kirito have to become a "Beater" instead of just a Beta Tester? I know the answer was given through context, but the entire feeling behind his reasons were completely lost IMHO. The laugh was great, though.

- Lastly, and I hate the fact I'm saying this. I love Kirito and Asuna, I really do. But their "trusting relationship" by the end seemed out of place due to all of the scenes that were skipped (in which they become strangers who are comfortable to be in a party together). Having it implied reeeaaalllyyy didn't work here.

That should wrap up my commentary. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it enough that time flew by in a jiffy (for better of for worse), and gave it a 7/10. But there were definitely flaws.

I've never read the Red-Nosed Reindeer chapter of SAO, so I'll be going into next episode blind. Should be interesting what I think without prior knowledge of the source material.
Old 2012-07-14, 20:07   Link #134
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Wow... Reading throught his topic...

Rushed
Rushed
Rushed
Rushed

Does everyone on this forum know Japanese and read LN's all the time or something?

Also many LN spoilers in here too. >_<

Almost makes me forget my own thoughts on the episode.
Baka-tsuki is translating the LNs so I'm guessing the majority of people actually don't speak/read japanese well enough If you see spoilers, report them.
Old 2012-07-14, 20:12   Link #135
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
Hm....how do I comment on this episode? I guess I'll do separate comments based on novel-only nitpicks and as a general anime.

Novel-only nitpicks: (There are no novel spoilers here, just my feelings as a viewer with novel knowledge)

- There's no way around it. If you've read Aria, most likely a part of you died inside when the struggle to cram it into one episode became a reality. My actual comment on this is less negative, but the fact remains that one episode was clearly not enough for...

- Oh depth, where art thou? I've only skimmed over the comments, and I can understand the complaints about some of the cut content. Honestly, I got one development scene out of the potential many so that was already more than I expected. Unfortunately, many scenes that did take place lost A LOT of the feeling behind them due to time constraints. Much significance/detail was lost with:

Diabel's ability as a charismatic leader

Kibaou's feelings representing the casual player (ie. Everyone) and subsequent hatred

Asuna bread scene

The significance of Beta Testers

How the battle was portrayed, and Kirito's actual role in it

Which turns out to be most of the episode. There's a difference between putting it in for the sake of having it, and putting it in to get a point across. Unfortunately these scenes only accomplished the former.

- On the plus side, to my surprise they were able to cut a character entirely with little drawback. Though I enjoyed said character, I'm glad it didn't add to the already over-sized content pile this episode had.

As an anime:

- It's hard to properly judge this neutrally since I was watching with certain expectations in mind, but I still felt as an anime-only viewer I would've felt extreme pacing issues anyways. It felt as if the events jumped everywhere at breakneck speeds, and the viewer barely had a chance to think about it before being presented with something new. That being said, my major issues lie with:

- Diabel. My end reaction being, "So...who was that guy?" You can put all the dramatic music that you want, but in the end I only knew him for 10 minutes.

- That fight scene. The initial charge. Brilliant, I got into it. Then I was presented with a bunch of still frames. What is that nonsense? Followed by a Diabel death scene that meant nothing to me. Luckily from that point the quality of the fight picked up again and I was able to enjoy it to its conclusion.

- The post-battle scene, which somewhat touches upon a novel comment. Why did Kirito have to become a "Beater" instead of just a Beta Tester? I know the answer was given through context, but the entire feeling behind his reasons were completely lost IMHO. The laugh was great, though.

- Lastly, and I hate the fact I'm saying this. I love Kirito and Asuna, I really do. But their "trusting relationship" by the end seemed out of place due to all of the scenes that were skipped (in which they become strangers who are comfortable to be in a party together). Having it implied reeeaaalllyyy didn't work here.

That should wrap up my commentary. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it enough that time flew by in a jiffy (for better of for worse), and gave it a 7/10. But there were definitely flaws.

I've never read the Red-Nosed Reindeer chapter of SAO, so I'll be going into next episode blind. Should be interesting what I think without prior knowledge of the source material.
If they somehow miraculously pull it off big time... bring some tissues... or a hanky... which ever you're comfortable w/...
Old 2012-07-14, 20:13   Link #136
james0246

Quote:
Then I was presented with a bunch of still frames. What is that nonsense?
Have you never seen another television anime ?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:15   Link #137
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

lolol I guess the spoilers weren't THAT bad or they'd have been picked up by the mods. It's just as I described, I guess it's a bit, uh, overwhelming I guess, to come here to discuss the episode and I find that EVERYONE is just like "this episode just isn't true to the novel" so where does that put me as a lowly anime-watcher?
Old 2012-07-14, 20:19   Link #138
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
lolol I guess the spoilers weren't THAT bad or they'd have been picked up by the mods. It's just as I described, I guess it's a bit, uh, overwhelming I guess, to come here to discuss the episode and I find that EVERYONE is just like "this episode just isn't true to the novel" so where does that put me as a lowly anime-watcher?
Aaawww. You folks are not at all lowly. Sorry man.
Old 2012-07-14, 20:22   Link #139
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
As a novel reader myself, it's the anime-only viewer/watcher comments that I find the most interesting. The L/N fans have more or less spoken, so I want to see what anime-only fans think of the episode.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 20:24   Link #140
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
Aaawww. You folks are not at all lowly. Sorry man.
Well I'm glad someone finally said it...us anime only fans do fill like we're the only ones enjoying to show so fare.

Tags
weekly episode discussion