AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-14, 15:28   Link #41
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The thing between them is trust.

Maka was shocked when Soul suddenly decided to join Blair, she's shocked because she had so much trust in Soul. And its because of this trust that she recovered from the shock immediately when Soul called for her. Soul had such a plan because she trusts that Maka would be able to pull it off and not remain in a state of shock.

Its very clear that there's a very strong bond between them. You can see the effort Maka puts in to make Soul a Death Scythe and also how Soul would protect Maka. Such a bond can also be seen between Black Star and Tsubaki, but a little different and less intense, you can't see it between Kid and the Sisters though.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-05-14, 15:55   Link #42
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

If she trusted him that much, she'd have caught on immediately. Or at least been incredulous.

Thing is, she really believed he'd betrayed her. She didn't want to believe, but she did. Soul maybe the guy she trusts the most in the whole world, but that doesn't mean much because she's got serious trust issues.

And I don't think she puts forth that much effort for Soul's sake. It's mostly about her and her grudge.
Old 2008-05-14, 16:11   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, my take is a bit different. She trusts him... but her own set of baggage leaves that shadow of doubt and the two emotions tangle with each other.

So at that moment, given the recent history and situation, Soul sounded so serious that her doubt won the instant (which of course added to Blair's misconception that Soul was serious). As C.A. remarks - her doubt was beaten back down the instant she heard his "true words".

Maka's definitely got trust issues but Soul seems to be aware of that and juggles it with his own agenda. Maka seems to *want* to melt completely with Soul... but her own baggage (thanks a lot, dad ) interferes.

meh, such is the stuff good drama, humor, and romance can be made from.
Old 2008-05-14, 16:58   Link #44
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't disagree with what you've said. Just with the statement that there's some kind of huge and formidable trust between them.

Relative to Maka, Soul is very trusted. But it's only a trust at the level people like Black Star or Kid take for granted.

I also disagree that Maka tries very hard for Soul's sake. It's for her own sake she's trying. I'm not saying she wouldn't take a bullet for him. But her day to day efforts are for herself.
Old 2008-05-14, 17:25   Link #45
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Maka's wish is to create a death scythe that surpasses even her father, Soul does seem to believe strongly that she would make him one. So I think its safe to say that all of Maka's efforts is to transform Soul into a very powerful death scythe. And through the effort put into Soul, she fufils her own desires.

The effort put in, is for the both of them, 50/50, so its for herself and himself.

Old 2008-05-14, 19:05   Link #46
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I also disagree that Maka tries very hard for Soul's sake. It's for her own sake she's trying. I'm not saying she wouldn't take a bullet for him. But her day to day efforts are for herself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Maka's wish is to create a death scythe that surpasses even her father, Soul does seem to believe strongly that she would make him one. So I think its safe to say that all of Maka's efforts is to transform Soul into a very powerful death scythe. And through the effort put into Soul, she fufils her own desires.

The effort put in, is for the both of them, 50/50, so its for herself and himself.

Hmmm... Then in the first place, does Soul wants to be a DeathScythe, or is he doing it for Maka? Because some how, that's the impression I got...
Old 2008-05-14, 19:27   Link #47
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hmmm... Then in the first place, does Soul wants to be a DeathScythe, or is he doing it for Maka? Because some how, that's the impression I got...
Soul wants to be cool and as a weapon, the coolest would be the most powerful deathscythe.

And Maka is someone whose desire goes along with him.

So its both of them having their own desire but are working together for it. They work together so that they can fufil their dreams.

Old 2008-05-14, 20:12   Link #48
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Dont forget, Maka's father also isnt a good role model for trusting men.
Old 2008-05-17, 03:39   Link #49
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Wait... you have doubts about Soul and Maka, but suspect Kid and the twins? ...now that boggles my mind.
I was joking. -_-
Old 2008-05-21, 19:34   Link #50
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Man I have a new respect for Soul. I know he's said on one other occasion that he wont let anyone hurt his master and he's proving it. I think the bond with all the meister and weapons are solid but Soul and Maka's seems to go beyond that just a little.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-05-22, 04:31   Link #51
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

I like the way she uses the scythe. I am kinda surprised with that. And Soul is also to me a man of his words. Nice.
Old 2008-05-23, 19:33   Link #52
elevenstrikes
on the rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I am not sure what to expect from this at the moment, but I wouldn't mind if the anime decided to keep love out of the picture alltogether.

A good friendship where both rely on one another would work just fine for me.
Seconded.

Actually, I hope they stay pleutonic forever. The way they interact with each other in the OP even strikes me as buddy-buddy, yet it's not sickening. They're comrades, and the fact that they're not (consciously) romantic eliminates that tension. They're just cool, yet you know they'd do anything for each other.

I think that can be possible between a guy and a girl.
Old 2008-05-24, 09:42   Link #53
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I still see Maka not only wanting to surpass her mother in making a better deathscythe but also attaining a better man as her father was a good for nothing cheat. I have no doubt in my mind that there will be more and more romantic suggestions between Maka and Soul as the series goes on.
Old 2008-05-24, 12:04   Link #54
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't think Maka really wants to surpass her mother. I mean, yes, she's an overachiever, and yes, she's got self-confidence issues that probably translate into a desire to perform well. But she's got no beef against her mother.

It's really all about her father. Because, no matter how despicable she finds him, he's still the Deathscythe. Shinigami-sama's personal weapon. And she wants to take away that title with her own hands.
Old 2008-05-24, 12:11   Link #55
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Maka has said it herself that she wanted to surpass her mother... so yeah...
Old 2008-05-24, 16:28   Link #56
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think Maka really wants to surpass her mother. I mean, yes, she's an overachiever, and yes, she's got self-confidence issues that probably translate into a desire to perform well. But she's got no beef against her mother.
You can respect someone yet still have the desire to surpass them.

And like HayashiTakara said, Make herself said she wanted to create a better Deathscythe.
Old 2008-05-24, 19:04   Link #57
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I took a peak at the manga for a number of chapters and all I can say is that my fanboy pairing for Maka and Soul only became more solidified.
Old 2008-05-24, 19:45   Link #58
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I took a peak at the manga for a number of chapters and all I can say is that my fanboy pairing for Maka and Soul only became more solidified.
Only a peak ?

But it's a good thing that you did, I wouldn't want to be the only one...

And if Episode 6 is any indication, the Anime might buff it up alittle here and there
Old 2008-05-25, 01:44   Link #59
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

haha, yeah when I get my hands on an anime that interest me enough, I'll always take a look at the manga, I'm contemplating on going further past ch 20
Old 2008-05-30, 22:20   Link #60
toniblab

maka and soul are my fav..they work well together.and soul protect her 2 time i know of so far.
Closed Thread