AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 120 51.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 10.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 5.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 3.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.43%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.43%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.13%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-04, 23:47   Link #61
SirusRiddler
Mari-nyan <3

All I can think of now is the need for a LiSa cover of YUI's "Good-bye Days".

I enjoyed this episode thoroughly. The way Maeda Jun does things can get cheesy but it sure as hell works for me.

It's strange...I couldn't find myself to really like or hate Yui at first but geez, this episode changes everything.

"Choose your own legacy, it's for you to decide." - Solid Snake
Old 2010-06-04, 23:55   Link #62
fischkopp123

I don't get this. Wasn't the SSS fighting Angel, because of the cruel fates the SSS members experienced in life and the unfairness of being tossed into a surrogate world, where they have to behave like good students in order to eventually pass on, losing their memories and being reborn as mindless animals?

I don't get Otonashi's reasoning from episode 9. So he wants to make everyone disappear to make them feel at peace. And Kanade wants to make them enjoy the happy youth they didn't have in real life. Then what about the barnacle stuff from the beginning? That didn't change at all. What about Yuri's suspicions about Kanade not getting her powers from god?

With only 3 more episodes to go and a core group of about 10 people (excluding Otonashi), how are they going to end the series without rushing through it after lingering on so many unimportant topics like Naoi's background (without showing the reason for his death), the prolonged baseball game event, the destruction of the guild? All of those events might have been important in one way or another, but they felt extremely stretched. Next episode might even be about something completely different than making people disappear and the last episode would surely have to deal with a stubborn Yuri and some kind of credible ending.

quoting Wikipedia here:

"The Aniplex producer of Angel Beats!, Hironori Towa, was interviewed in the November 2009 issue of Dengeki G's Magazine, where he commented that a 13-episode anime with about 21 minutes per episode was not enough to tell the whole story of Angel Beats! Maeda had envisioned. Therefore, the various additional media, such as the illustrated short stories and manga, contain some of the story that was unable to make it into the anime because of time constraints. Towa wanted fans of the series to be able to enjoy it to the fullest by exploring all of the media types."

So far I thought of the series as an omnium gatherum of random stuff. There's no consistent pursue of the main plot, some dead ends and in the end we might be sent off with some kind of cliffhanger long before the final conclusion, because we're supposed to "enjoy it to the fullest by exploring all of the media types", that will follow. Kind of like the .hack/universe.

I might be nitpicking here, but I think they could have made this show so much better by sticking closer to the main plot and not lingering about and having to rush in the end.
Old 2010-06-04, 23:55   Link #63
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I....think I just got my weekly recommended allowance of cheese in one shot in this episode. I think I'll have to swear off diary products for the rest of the week.

Hinata-Yui was rather unconvincing because, as many have already said, the buildup just isn't there.
Old 2010-06-05, 00:06   Link #64
skyy54264

Anyone else getting the feeling that they're not actually dead?

My theory is that you do not disappear if you've actually dead. Of the background stories we know so far, how the characters have died has not been explored.

We last only saw Iwasawa in the hospital before she "arrived" in the afterlife. Yuri's death is still a mystery. Likewise with Hinata, Naoi and Yui. Feels strange to leave a giant loophole like that. I remember someone a while ago said that they're not actually dead and are just unconscious somewhere. I'm starting to think this is the case. We're pretty sure Otonashi died hence why he and Kanade are not disappearing even after coming to acceptance with their regrets. Those who have disappear are returning to their unconscious body and would also further explain the reason why Kanade is helping everyone to disappear. Just my speculation.
Old 2010-06-05, 00:07   Link #65
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

There might not be buildup but there had been more than enough hints here and there throughout the whole show which should convince you that it's natural for them to end up being a pair. Heck, even in the ending animation (except this episode of course), they appear together with Yui clinging onto Hinata. You can count all those hints as "buildup", if that makes you more satisfied.
Old 2010-06-05, 00:20   Link #66
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Admittedly her entire marriage thing was out of the blue and rather cheesy, and so was Hinata's proposal. At the very least it was saved from cliche hell by the montage which, after Clannad's montages in the series adaptation, I guess Key now has down to an art form. Personally I think he did love her, and his entire speech about meeting her again by smashing a baseball through her window was so cheesy yet hopelessly romantic I can't help but both facepalm and smile excessively. Actually I can't find a better ending for them both, and I fully support such an ending when all this is over.
They do make a good match. I thought the marriage proposal was pretty fitting. She's been denied everything because of her disability, and one of the biggest things most women desire is the companionship of a partner (usually symbolized by marriage). It's a depressing thought that most men will never even look at you because you can't have kids, have sex, and you'll be a burden since he'd have to constantly take care of you.

Being bedridden for your entire life is something you deal with but it's not always easy to accept. Life likes to remind us of our limits sometimes, and it's very depressing when that happens. She may be a bright personality, but it's incredibly cruel to lose out on so much because of an accident. Many in her situation consider suicide, with the even more depressing thought that they can't because they can't even move.

She most likely died of natural causes by the way, since machines can only support the body so much and her body was slowly withering away from lack of use. There was nothing remarkable about her life, but in that regard it's probably the most tragic thing about her.

On another note, this cast is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big for one season. I sincerely doubt the final episodes will leave us with more answers than questions.
Old 2010-06-05, 00:25   Link #67
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

I don't know how to feel about this episode.

I'm happy that it's a Yui centric episode, because she's my favorite character by far. But I'm going to miss her. ;_;

But It was kind of sad seeing Yui have no real ties with the rest of the gang and really only doing activities by herself. It would've been better if there was a friendship type angle to it. I almost wish Yui and Hinata left as a pair together, especially with the whole baseball theme, and that also could've been used as the friend-type thing with Hinata showing her how to swing the bat and hit the ball and stuff. Overall, I thought it felt too easy to make her pass on!

So saddd, Yui I'll miss you.

I was also surprised and enjoyed the appearance of a wheelchair. Since Key loves their girls and wheelchairs. It made me chuckle.
Old 2010-06-05, 00:25   Link #68
dark998

Pretty good episode, starting with Otonashi and Kanade's "flawless plan", Sekine and Irie finally TALKING (they are cute!), Otonashi fulfilling Yui's wishes (german suplex training ) and Hinata closing the circle and making her disappear. Very touching scene, with "Shine Days" playing in the background.

And then *another* cliffhanger, Noda fighting against a shadow-like being? Now that was unexpected. The worst part of watching this show is waiting a whole week for the next episode.
Old 2010-06-05, 00:33   Link #69
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischkopp123 View Post
I don't get this. Wasn't the SSS fighting Angel, because of the cruel fates the SSS members experienced in life and the unfairness of being tossed into a surrogate world, where they have to behave like good students in order to eventually pass on, losing their memories and being reborn as mindless animals?

I don't get Otonashi's reasoning from episode 9. So he wants to make everyone disappear to make them feel at peace. And Kanade wants to make them enjoy the happy youth they didn't have in real life. Then what about the barnacle stuff from the beginning? That didn't change at all. What about Yuri's suspicions about Kanade not getting her powers from god?
Just to clarify a few things.

They wanted to fight against God for giving them a cruel fate. Not Kanade. They fought Kanade because she seemed to be an agent of God. Of course, it became apparent that Kanade was just another soul who came up with her own abilities and only opposed the SSS because they broke the rules in the school while she was Student Council President (which was proven when she was no longer president during the concert after she was kicked out and the fishing trip and did absolutely nothing to stop them). Thus, the SSS has nothing to fight because there's no longer any trail/evidence of God in the world (Ooyama said it best at the end of the fishing trip).

The barnacles thing is a based upon Japanese Buddhism. You can be reborn as anything depending on what you did in your past life. However, Kanade seemed to lay out the world simply. A place where young people with misfortunate endings come to deal with what life was, face their regrets, find something to give them peace, and move on to the next life (if you believe Japanese Buddhism has a place in the series). Kanade wants the people of that world to find peace and move on.
Old 2010-06-05, 00:36   Link #70
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischkopp123 View Post

The barnacle stuff was just recruitment drivel. I think Otonashi even noted at one point that no one actually worried about what they'd be reincarnated as.
Old 2010-06-05, 00:56   Link #71
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Hinata-Yui was rather unconvincing because, as many have already said, the buildup just isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
There might not be buildup but there had been more than enough hints here and there throughout the whole show which should convince you that it's natural for them to end up being a pair. Heck, even in the ending animation (except this episode of course), they appear together with Yui clinging onto Hinata. You can count all those hints as "buildup", if that makes you more satisfied.
I thought it was there. Sure it might not be an obvious relationship, but Hinata and Yui were always fighting and wrestling, but in a way that made them seem like good friends. You know what happens to good friends of the opposite sex in anime. It actually made for kind of a cute couple as well, a paralyzed girl and a baseball player. One of the lovers completes the other, so it lends itself to be very romantic. Though I admit that it was a bit sudden, I can't say that I would pass up on a great chance like that either if I was Hinata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy54264 View Post
Anyone else getting the feeling that they're not actually dead?

My theory is that you do not disappear if you've actually dead. Of the background stories we know so far, how the characters have died has not been explored.

We last only saw Iwasawa in the hospital before she "arrived" in the afterlife. Yuri's death is still a mystery. Likewise with Hinata, Naoi and Yui. Feels strange to leave a giant loophole like that. I remember someone a while ago said that they're not actually dead and are just unconscious somewhere. I'm starting to think this is the case. We're pretty sure Otonashi died hence why he and Kanade are not disappearing even after coming to acceptance with their regrets. Those who have disappear are returning to their unconscious body and would also further explain the reason why Kanade is helping everyone to disappear. Just my speculation.
Sorry but I can't go along with that theory still. It makes too much sense that they are dead for me to believe otherwise. Plus I know plot armor is strong, but plot armor doesn't bring you back from a coma that lasts THAT long, and especially when you have nothing positive to live for like most of the characters that potentially fit the list of comatose teens. Though I will admit there is that lack of knowledge there that allows this theory to exist, but I myself can't recognize it due to the immense amount of inconsistencies that would result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaFire View Post
I was also surprised and enjoyed the appearance of a wheelchair. Since Key loves their girls and wheelchairs. It made me chuckle.
Dude, wheelchairs are like sports cars. It doesn't matter who you are, if you're driving one around you're getting laid.

Edit: Maybe I should actually say something about the episode instead of conversing. This was actually a surprisingly interesting episode. I didn't suspect that it would be centered around one character, but then at the same time it really wasn't. We know now (though I wasn't surprised in the slightest) that Hinata also shares the same opinion as Otonashi and Kanade. On another note, I was never a big fan of Yui but this episode really did justice to her, and especially since I think a lot of us might not have even thought about what her life must have been like. I suppose it was obvious from the beginning that, evidenced by her upbeat attitude in the afterlife, her death was giving her a second chance at life (ironic right?). Angel Beats! has been doing a great job of making fun of its viewers for not seeing the really, really obvious things right in front of them. Yet again (second time in a row too) I've been insulted by this show by being told something that was so painfully obvious it should have been noticed sooner. As far as the ending goes, I'm concerned to see yet another twist around the corner, and really if they're going to be ending soon they should just get to the point. <_< Though it would appear this is some big finale.

Edit^2: Poster below me sums it up pretty well. Generally ascension past afterlife is both coming to terms with your previous existence, and being fulfilled and ready to pass on to the next stage. Hence the "lack of regrets" that they keep going on about. As far as Iwasawa goes, I think she had a hard time coming to terms with her fate to be mute for the rest of her life. Her passing was rather vague and random as it was, but I guess she accepted her fate for some reason.
Old 2010-06-05, 00:58   Link #72
Jimmy C

I think most of the characters are mistaken about the criteria for leaving this world. It's not finding fulfillment in this afterlife, but finding a reason to look forward to life beyond purgatory. No one heard Iwasawa's last thoughts before she "left" but Hinata and -hopefully- Otonashi ought to have heard Yui's last words and, hopefully again, put the pieces together for what they really need to do to get everyone to graduate.
Old 2010-06-05, 01:09   Link #73
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I think most of the characters are mistaken about the criteria for leaving this world. It's not finding fulfillment in this afterlife, but finding a reason to look forward to life beyond purgatory. No one heard Iwasawa's last thoughts before she "left" but Hinata and -hopefully- Otonashi ought to have heard Yui's last words and, hopefully again, put the pieces together for what they really need to do to get everyone to graduate.
this epileptic tree I find rather convincing, seeing how we've only had all of 2 shown disappearances despite many people seeming rather content, such as TK and Matsushita. Not even Key can justify giving EVERYONE some far off sob story (although given the requirements of the setting I guess it's not too impossible..)

even if they did though, there's no way they can pull it off in the small number of episodes remaining and still have some credible ending. hopefully a second season will be in order to explain the multitudes of plot holes that are most likely to remain unfilled.
Old 2010-06-05, 01:17   Link #74
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I thought it was there. Sure it might not be an obvious relationship, but Hinata and Yui were always fighting and wrestling, but in a way that made them seem like good friends. You know what happens to good friends of the opposite sex in anime. It actually made for kind of a cute couple as well, a paralyzed girl and a baseball player. One of the lovers completes the other, so it lends itself to be very romantic. Though I admit that it was a bit sudden, I can't say that I would pass up on a great chance like that either if I was Hinata.
Word. Not just in the anime world, but even in real world we see plenty of couples start from picking on the other/each other then grow into falling in love with each other. Thats why I said when Hinata showed up, I felt like I got cheated so badly. I almost thought Otonashi was going to pull a Makoto by pulling out a veil from somewhere.

Quote:
Dude, wheelchairs are like sports cars. It doesn't matter who you are, if you're driving one around you're getting laid.
Haha. I couldn't help but added to your reputation for that line. But that only applies to 2D and drama worlds though, kind of.
Old 2010-06-05, 01:59   Link #75
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I just noticed. If Yui is dead, why is she still worrying about her mother taking care of her? I mean, since if she's dead, her mother shouldn't be taking care of her anymore.

+1 for a comatose Yui.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-06-05, 02:11   Link #76
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I just noticed. If Yui is dead, why is she still worrying about her mother taking care of her? I mean, since if she's dead, her mother shouldn't be taking care of her anymore.
Because they are talking about the future, which you can call "next life". Thanks to rewatching that scene, I noticed Hinata said "mata (again)", twice, before they started talking about the "if" situation.

This is an interesting founding though. From that short conversation, it seems to reveal that the characters actually believe having another life after leaving that world.
Old 2010-06-05, 02:16   Link #77
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

As someone who's loved Yui since she appeared I can't really put into words how much I enjoyed this episode, even a 12/10 wouldn't be enough . It really did her justice, and made me find her cuter than ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolCiel View Post
I thought it was incredibly sweet when Hinata showed up and said he would marry Yui.
I wasn't sure I liked idea of Hinata being with Yui before this episode, though tbh his marriage scene/speech + montage moved me to tears of happiness, and sorrow at the same time since it was happy, but I knew what it also meant, this is the first time an anime as ever made me feel like that while I cried well done Key, well done. So I agree with the above it was really sweet even if it was bit cheesy, and I like them as couple. Though I was kinda of glad Hinata didn't go with her as I would have cried far too much then .

Also yay for the other girls of Girls Dead Monster actually getting lines this episode, and even though I doubted Otonashi on what he was doing before this episode, I feel I can approve of his plan after this episode since I really felt his determination, and sincerity in trying to help Yui move on. Though I really wonder how he plans to deal with Yuri's past still.
MAL
Old 2010-06-05, 02:19   Link #78
Bombo
TSF Fans

Farewell Yui
I will miss her ...and first half was funny with tenshi chan ^^
Old 2010-06-05, 03:21   Link #79
tsunade666

Sh*T dam* the final moments are so epic.

The last moments of hinata and yui, the marriage the illusion or dream of those 2... grr. it makes me want to cry but I can't.

It makes me forget all the german suplex and soccer on the first part. The last part took it all into one big blow.

And of all to be first disappear it had to be that pink energetic moeblobl yui.....

byebye yui

-------------------------------------------

Aside from that how many episode does angel beat intend to run with? it looks like it's not ending at 13 episode at all.
Old 2010-06-05, 03:26   Link #80
zette

So from the preview it seems that they're not gonna go the 'make every character disappear' route, but rather, focusing on the SSS and the afterlife world as a whole. Even so, I doubt they'll be able to come up with a satisfactory ending with the three episodes that they have left. Three episodes won't be enough to show everyone's past and when they introduce an afterlife world where a large emphasis is placed on what everyone's lives were like in the real world, it is imperative that they at least show everyone's past because it is inevitable that fans will want to know. If they don't manage to tie up these loose ends and satisfy the fans, then I think that will be what prevents Angel Beats from becoming just another mediocre anime. It has been said countless times but I'll say it again: this series begs for two cours or more.

This was a good episode though. I've always liked Yui as a character, even more so now since a reason was given for her hyperactivity, which is mainly because she had no chance to behave in such a way when she was alive. The 'shadow' mentioned in the end is interesting, but we'll have to wait for next week to see what that's about. God damn cliffhangers.