AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-07, 11:53   Link #241
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Indeed. Lots of action.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

YouTube
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 11:59   Link #242
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've been seeing these newer Youtube and Image tags around the site lately....where did they come from? Is there something special I'm not seeing?
Old 2012-04-07, 12:10   Link #243
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

^Look in this thread: New BB Codes: Dynamic Loading

And don't forget the second version of the first Yamato open that became the musical basis for the Starblazers opens:

YouTube
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 15:27   Link #244
August138

I think the new opening animation is fine — keeping in the spirit of the original — it's the theme song being too thin that sucks some of the power out of it. Not enough balls, as in the original 1974 recording. You just can't fudge a synthesizer to sound like a full orchestra...
Old 2012-04-07, 15:34   Link #245
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Perhaps they will have multiple versions of the theme like they had originally based on the plot of the episode. Different tempo and instrumentation.
Old 2012-04-07, 15:36   Link #246
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Hence the Gamilons current long term siege approach to their campaign.
In this version (only hinted at in the original), the Gamilas are effectively Gamilasforming the Earth with Planet Bombs so they can live on it.
Old 2012-04-07, 16:11   Link #247
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One wonders how they will handle later instances with Dessler on Yamato or the much later with the Galmans (if they get to that). Those times the humans would be on a Gamilon world or a Gamilon on an Earth ship, without a helmet.

They might change it. But that is potentially in the far future.
Old 2012-04-07, 19:51   Link #248
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
In this version (only hinted at in the original), the Gamilas are effectively Gamilasforming the Earth with Planet Bombs so they can live on it.
Wow, what a bunch of Douchebags those Gamilons are.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 20:32   Link #249
denshousha

I am an admin on the Yamato Wiki. There's a lot of great info coming out that I'm absorbing into the official canon like Yamanami now having the given name of Osamu and Kotetsu Serizawa having a name, period.

There are some other things listed on the 2199 characters page that have me puzzled and I'm curious for your input on where to go with this new info.

Aihara: In season 1 his parents call him "Yoshikazu", yet in Season 3 he introduces himself as "Giichi". I noticed here they've labeled him as "Yoshikazu".

Yamazaki: For years I'd thought his given name was read as "Sho" and I'd read that on countless other unofficial sources. Yet the 2199 website lists his name as "Susumu". I really don't like Yamazaki having the same name as Kodai, yet if I can't find any vintage materials that say otherwise, I may have to modify his wiki entry.

Yabu: Similar to Yamazaki, I'd always thought his given name was Sukeharu thanks to unofficial sources. The Yamato 2199 pages lists him as "Sukeji".
denshousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 01:09   Link #250
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As for the wiki and names:
Nicknames maybe? Human error. (Yamato 3 had lots of human error from what I remember). Some of the unofficial sources are just that...unofficial. It happens when products are remade. I'm almost 100% sure the reason Yamanami's name was changed was because his original voice actor from the film "Be Forever, Yamato" died last year, and his first name was Osamu.

Somethings I noticed in the new OP.
YouTube

While most of it was normalish, there is a small fight scene over some planet with Yamato firing off in multiple directions. We see two types of Gamilon fighters there (one of which we have not seen yet even online)...and that not only are the Cosmo Falcons not all painted the same...but there is more than one Cosmo Zero present. And that it too is painted differently from Kodai's traditional fighter.

(We've seen pictures of the Cosmo Falcon paint jobs. One is grey with white and red like on Yamato2199.net, the other is blue and yellow, some with different tails. We've seen one Cosmo Zero that is grey with a red nose and yellow trim. The second one is grey with an orange nose and white trim. Also it's missiles seem to be mounted over the wing.)

I find that very interesting.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-08 at 13:35.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:35   Link #251
denshousha

I just wonder if those unofficial sources (such Japanese Wikipedia entries) were based on vintage official materials or not. The Yamato book that I have and of course the ending credits to the anime don't give furigana pronunciations for the character names. I don't have any of those non-Matsumoto manga that might contain such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
As for the wiki and names:
I'm almost 100% sure the reason Yamanami's name was changed was because his original voice actor from the film "Be Forever, Yamato" died last year, and his first name was Osamu.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right about that and I think that's totally cool. He never actually had an official first name before. Unofficial sources called him Keisuke because he was based on the real life Keisuke Yamanami.
Old 2012-04-08, 15:41   Link #252
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by denshousha View Post
I am an admin on the Yamato Wiki. There's a lot of great info coming out that I'm absorbing into the official canon like Yamanami now having the given name of Osamu and Kotetsu Serizawa having a name, period.

There are some other things listed on the 2199 characters page that have me puzzled and I'm curious for your input on where to go with this new info.

Aihara: In season 1 his parents call him "Yoshikazu", yet in Season 3 he introduces himself as "Giichi". I noticed here they've labeled him as "Yoshikazu".

Yamazaki: For years I'd thought his given name was read as "Sho" and I'd read that on countless other unofficial sources. Yet the 2199 website lists his name as "Susumu". I really don't like Yamazaki having the same name as Kodai, yet if I can't find any vintage materials that say otherwise, I may have to modify his wiki entry.

Yabu: Similar to Yamazaki, I'd always thought his given name was Sukeharu thanks to unofficial sources. The Yamato 2199 pages lists him as "Sukeji".
The only English source I would go with is the official Star Blazers website — which I contribute to — and if you read or speak Japanese, I would go with the Japanese 2199 Wikipedia page. What I can tell you is that they have indeed changed some of the names of the characters — I'd like to know exactly why, but I'm sure as more interviews with the staff are published and more material on the making of the series becomes available, all will be revealed. I, for one, never liked Aihara's given name being changed to "Giichi" in the first place. Bleech! And the Gamilas are getting given names this time around, too. Yabu's official first name in the original series was indeed "Sukeharu". Of course, I'm sure that Izubuchi and Hikawa have perfectly logical reasons for their decisions and changes, since they've had more than four years to work on the planning and pre-production for 2199!

Last edited by August138; 2012-04-08 at 15:52.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:48   Link #253
August138

Quote:
...but there is more than one Cosmo Zero present. And that it too is painted differently from Kodai's traditional fighter... We've seen one Cosmo Zero that is grey with a red nose and yellow trim. The second one is grey with an orange nose and white trim. Also it's missiles seem to be mounted over the wing.
In the original series, there were supposed to be two Cosmo Zeroes, each one launched from their respective aft catapults. One flown by Kodai and the other flown by Kato. Unfortunately, the animators on the original series, in the mad rush of producing episodes, experienced some confusion or fudged certain things (Episode 4 features a squadron of Black Tigers, but when they return to their hanger bay, they're all Cosmo Zeroes). So, to avoid further confusion, they narrowed it down to one Cosmo Zero. In Akio Hio's original YAMATO manga, there are a lot more Cosmo Zeroes, and many of them armed with a variety of missiles and bombs.

So, in this series, YAMATO: 2199, Kodai flies the red-tipped Cosmo Zero and Kato flies the silver-tipped version. And I think I like this "Old Fan Service", because they are really digging into obscure and forgotten Yamato elements. And I hope that we see more of them, too!

Last edited by August138; 2012-04-08 at 16:25.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:53   Link #254
denshousha

I always go with Japanese sources; preferably official ones like The Space Battleship Yamato Chronicles. And I never liked "Giichi" either. I like to explain that away as Aihara lying about his name to try and impress that girl.

Yeah, I don't know with the Gamilan names. Desler's is "ABERUTO". Aberto? Abert? Should I go with the whole Germanic theme and romanize it "Albrecht"?
Old 2012-04-08, 16:31   Link #255
August138

Quote:
I always go with Japanese sources; preferably official ones like The Space Battleship Yamato Chronicles. And I never liked "Giichi" either. I like to explain that away as Aihara lying about his name to try and impress that girl.

Yeah, I don't know with the Gamilan names. Desler's is "ABERUTO". Aberto? Abert? Should I go with the whole Germanic theme and romanize it "Albrecht"?
As far as Romanizing the names, we might not want to agonize over them too much, since the English Subtitles for YAMATO: 2199 are being handled by US Expat, Sam Pinansky — a Translator, Producer, and Subtitle Engineer at Tezuka Productions, who has over thirty titles to his credit (including BEELZEBUB, GUIN SAGA, and COBRA: THE ANIMATION). He's working in co-operation with Production I.G. on the translations of 2199, who are handling the overseas sales and distribution of the series. So, these English Subs are going to be as "official" as it gets.
Old 2012-04-08, 17:04   Link #256
denshousha

Wow, I had no idea official English subs were already in the making. Thanks!
Old 2012-04-08, 18:12   Link #257
August138

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea official English subs were already in the making. Thanks!
You're very welcome! I would have put links to my stories on that, but it is strictly verboten on these forums – but the link is in my sig. All seven volumes, encompassing 26 episodes, will be subbed (my copy of the first volume just landed at San Francisco International Airport this morning). The producers are taking the same marketing strategy that Bandai Visual did with GUNDAM UNICORN — theatrical release, DVD/BD release (with BDs featuring English Subs), and then television broadcast. You can catch up with all of the details on my blog (am I allowed to say that?) and the official Star Blazers website!

If you need any help, just let me know!
Old 2012-04-08, 23:31   Link #258
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmm. Well science fiction fans are a lot more picky about details than they use to be. Star Trek's fanbase shows that much. So now with each ship and fighter getting its own paint job and in several cases clearly defined numbers and/or names...people are going to keep track. It isn't like the old days when you could get away with having wave after way of the same cel animation passing in front of the camera to show off a wing of fighters...with every single one painted the same.

I'd recalled the number of Cosmo Zeros landing in the old Episode 4 and seem to recall a cel duplication in some versions of that same episode which has two Cosmo Zeros in formation with the Black Tigers in front of Yamato (I don't remember if that was the Star Blazers dub or the recut film version of that scene).

I'd never really considered Kato having a Cosmo Zero as he was the leader of the Black Tigers, and sort of thought that either they had had a squadron of Cosmo Zeros early on but were destroyed in the early fights, or they has only a few flights for some reason, because I seem to recall Kodai wrecking one at some point. The catapults I'd figured were suppose to be for the recon planes so they could keep the flight deck clear (sort of the excuse a few US carriers before WWII had flight deck catapults to launch scout planes while having the deck used for the main strike groups or prepared for fighters. That was before the scout plane also happened to be the primary dive bomber.)

Of course back then it might have been the thought that having more than one Cosmo Zero...Kodai's plane, would confuse people. This sort of thinking happens from time to time where the producers underestimate the intelligence of the audience.
Old 2012-04-09, 00:21   Link #259
August138

Quote:
Hmmm. Well science fiction fans are a lot more picky about details than they use to be. Star Trek's fanbase shows that much. So now with each ship and fighter getting its own paint job and in several cases clearly defined numbers and/or names...people are going to keep track. It isn't like the old days when you could get away with having wave after way of the same cel animation passing in front of the camera to show off a wing of fighters...with every single one painted the same.
That's a lot easier to keep track of these days (and it's being done).

Quote:
I'd recalled the number of Cosmo Zeros landing in the old Episode 4 and seem to recall a cel duplication in some versions of that same episode which has two Cosmo Zeros in formation with the Black Tigers in front of Yamato (I don't remember if that was the Star Blazers dub or the recut film version of that scene).
Oh, yes, I remember that — can't recall off-hand without digging out the big Yamato silver book set and going to through the visual sections... But, they are in both versions, IIRC.

Quote:
I'd never really considered Kato having a Cosmo Zero as he was the leader of the Black Tigers, and sort of thought that either they had had a squadron of Cosmo Zeros early on but were destroyed in the early fights, or they has only a few flights for some reason, because I seem to recall Kodai wrecking one at some point. The catapults I'd figured were suppose to be for the recon planes so they could keep the flight deck clear (sort of the excuse a few US carriers before WWII had flight deck catapults to launch scout planes while having the deck used for the main strike groups or prepared for fighters. That was before the scout plane also happened to be the primary dive bomber.)
Kodai's Cosmo Zero was wrecked several times (or damaged) and completely destroyed in the episode with the Octopus Star Storm — but we have to remember that Sanada had the "Dynamic Do-All" in the Engineering Block! As for the Cosmo Zeroes vs. the Black Tigers, I believe that the Cosmo Zeroes were the newest addition to the EDF at the time of the Yamato's launch in 2199, and that the Black Tigers had been the standard space fighter, around just a little longer than the Zero.

Quote:
Of course back then it might have been the thought that having more than one Cosmo Zero... Kodai's plane, would confuse people. This sort of thinking happens from time to time where the producers underestimate the intelligence of the audience.
Or are under the gun of excruciating deadlines...
Old 2012-04-09, 02:58   Link #260
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yamato2199.net just updated again for the next set of episodes.
http://yamato2199.net/character.html

Dessler and Domeru are up on the Character page.

And Gantz and Schulz are still Human colored...and not blue?

(From the Corn Pone Flicks parody "Desslok's Big Score" trailer..."token Caucasian Gamilons..."

Also they seem to be selling out in the theaters and with BD at the theaters. If I read the translation correctly.

Is it "Yamato Fever?"

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-09 at 03:19. Reason: Remembering a joke
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato