Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-05, 12:55   Link #141
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
Yeah the animation is cheap, but it's not like it's downright bad to the point where you vomit where you look at it.
Personally, I'm usually really forgiving on animation when it comes to comedy series that don't really need stellar animation. I actually didn't even notice anything wrong with the animation quality while I was watching. It seemed about right for the type of show it was.
Old 2009-10-05, 12:57   Link #142
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

At least it's better than Bakemonogatari in stretches m i rite
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 13:01   Link #143
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
At least it's better than Bakemonogatari in stretches m i rite
Well, flat-out unfinished scenes are a bit more obvious than pre-planned shortcuts... since in the former there's supposed to be movement where there isn't, whereas in the latter they deliberately structure the scene to not need much movement. The goofs in Bake definitely stood out more, but I think overall it has better animation quality.
Old 2009-10-05, 13:09   Link #144
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I'm almost always confused about complaints about "Bad Animation" and I'm still confused here.

How should this impact enjoyment at all? Do you people enjoy watching anime freeze-framed?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 13:14   Link #145
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm almost always confused about complaints about "Bad Animation" and I'm still confused here.

How should this impact enjoyment at all? Do you people enjoy watching anime freeze-framed?
Personally I'm mostly thinking of scenes like this one:

See her hands? 20 second long scene, hard to ignore.
Old 2009-10-05, 13:21   Link #146
Wrath88
Kissing...

I agree about not needing stellar animation to appreciate this series. Can't believe I didnt' even notice the locker expansion until I saw the pictures.
Old 2009-10-05, 13:33   Link #147
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Heh, I'm too busy laughing at this show to actually give a damn.

But Akikan! was unfunny.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 13:41   Link #148
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Hm? And here I thought people have learned to not expect awesome animation and design quality from DEEN...

Solid 8/10. Surprisingly enjoyable. Pretty good start. Picking this up to take over Hayate/SZS's random gag/comedy series spot. Though I worry how they kept this up over several novels... well, if SZS could last this long (and got even more coming?), I see no reason for this to struggle for ~12 eps. And speaking of SZS, perhaps the guys at DEEN should take some pointers on time/budget cutting from SHAFT.
Old 2009-10-05, 14:54   Link #149
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I did LOL several times, which not every comedy can make me do. It was a bit scattershot, hit and miss - and the insider humor was just a bit too forced for me. I prefer something like Kannagi, where it's a more natual outflow of the story. Still - at times this was awfully funny and it certainly showed me enough to bring me back next week.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 15:38   Link #150
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Why the animations should be great to make a good anime ?
You can make a great anime without great animation .
While you don't need great animation, the same old generic, flat, boring stuff will never pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
I'm going to use Lucky Star as an example again... if I judged the series based off of them talking about chocolate cornets for the majority of the episode, then yeah I would have definitely been feel the same way as you do about Setokai right now.
A lot of people judged LS based on the 8 minutes of food discussion. A lot of people are going to judge this show the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I don't get you. They were exploiting the stereotypical aspects of the situation ALL episode.
The stereotypes were taken completely seriously. They didn't really throw any monkey wrenches, just wandered down the same well trodden paths for the gags. The characters acted exactly like their stereotypes instead of trying to warp the stereotype in some way. The latter here is what I mean by exploiting them.

Quote:
Studio Deen always has been a 'cheap' animation studio. That is nothing to gripe about especially now. Also, especially if it's a comedy anime. And what's wrong with Deen making comedies? I think they were spreading itself thin by trying to make epics and other serious stuff way too much.
Yes, Studio Deen's has been cheap all the time recently, but this show looks like it's already in the "we barely have any budget left" mode. When it actually goes into "We have no budget left" mode, it's going to be QUALITY++. I fully expect something like Higurashi OVA 4's 14 min of no animation to happen. Just pans, still images, scenery, and other random ways to pass time cheaply.

The objection is more to Deen making reference shows than comedies. Reference shows require attention to detail, something Deen fails at unless they really try. Companies that excel at making reference shows: SynergySP, SHAFT, JC Staff (only when they give a damn and try), and to a lesser extent Kyoani, Sunrise, and the companies that did Genshiken.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 17:47   Link #151
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

/me during the 1st minute: ahahahahahaha, oh lol, a Marimite joke now, *ahahahahaha*
*20 minutes later*
ahahahahahha *faints because of lack of oxygen*

I just came to myself a little while before. I just lost track of myself after the CLANNAD joke. Ahaha.

This series has the Proto seal of approval, for whatever that counts.

*giggle*
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 19:58   Link #152
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
*snip*
Expecting a little much, are we?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 20:18   Link #153
mikoo
Banned

Freebies

mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 20:44   Link #154
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo View Post
Freebies

Claiming the second for here and the first for another forum.
Old 2009-10-05, 21:07   Link #155
Jze0
Hmmm...

Quote:
Claiming this one please...
Old 2009-10-05, 22:00   Link #156
suguru
京都 ikitai~

First episode wasn't a home run for me, but it wasn't bad either - the references to other series made me laugh (castanets especially) and while the animation wasn't great, I think as long as it doesn't drop off it's acceptable for a comedy. I'm hoping in later episodes they don't spend as much time in the club room though (although I understand in the source material that's where everything happens). I remember the cast of Maico 2010 managed to spend 24 episodes in one room, but I can't think of any other anime series that's even tried that. I guess it's one way to save on budget since the background's always the same, but it'd be nice to see them take a trip somewhere (wouldn't complain about a beach or onsen episode, seems like they could have a lot of fun with referring to other things like Fumoffu's epic onsen battle).
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 22:11   Link #157
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Personally I'm mostly thinking of scenes like this one:

***Image Snip***

See her hands? 20 second long scene, hard to ignore.
This seems to be pretty much the definition of not seeing the forest for the trees.

In the end, I think this is going to end up a lot like K-On; a lot of b******g about the animation for the first episode or two--then those people will go away, and everyone who stays will start talking about the actual show.
Old 2009-10-05, 22:13   Link #158
Xacual

Quote:
Freebies
Taking this thanks!

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 22:15   Link #159
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

You know? I hope that they do spend the whole series in one room. It would be quite an original and refreshing quirk if they pull it well, as it would be reminiscing of a play made anime style... dunno, the whole idea appeals to me a lot. It would make for a lot of real life related skits as well.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 22:19   Link #160
billborden

Quote:
Freebies
I haven't changed Avatars for two years, but I love this one--do you mind?

Tags
comedy, parody, school life, shounen, student council