AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-12, 08:41   Link #26381
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Rising power Qatar stirs unease among some Mideast neighbors
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91B0R920130212
Quote:
In the center of Cairo, young men hold up a burning flag for the cameras to show their fury at a nation they believe is meddling in their country and the wider Middle East.
It's a familiar image. But it's not the U.S. flag they are waving, it is that of Qatar, the Gulf state that has used its billions to spread its influence in the wake of the Arab Spring.
Old 2013-02-12, 09:13   Link #26382
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Care to enlighten us?
It's simple:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I loved this movie.
Old 2013-02-12, 09:27   Link #26383
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Rising power Qatar stirs unease among some Mideast neighbors
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91B0R920130212
It's interesting to see a country that is not much bigger than a dot in world map is capable to make this much change to the world

Old 2013-02-12, 09:59   Link #26384
Tom Bombadil

Nothing on the Chinese internet says anything valuable about the current situation. As NYT says, this is a big test for new Chinese leaders. I don't see any effective responds to the nuclear test. The US could perform some surgical operations, the Chinese could cut off all supply to NK, but there is no guarantee at all such measures will not come back and bite them. Who is going to clean up the mess that possibly results from such measures? Well, only one thing is for sure: the security problems of northeast Asia is going to get a lot worse.
Old 2013-02-12, 10:16   Link #26385
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Those who think that ROKA is outnumbered is looking at the wrong numbers.

- KPA has a nominal conscription length of 3~5 years, but effectively 10 years. ROKA has the effective conscription length of 2 years. Basically, the only reason KPA has a higher nominal troop number is because of the length of conscription, not effective conscription.
- While nominal reserves of KPA is 8,200,000, this includes virtually everyone of "reliable" political background from age 17-49, with most of them knowing only the simplest things and mostly used for logistics and construction (less than 20% are actual combat troops). The ROK Reserve Forces of 2,900,000 is to be a pure infantry fighting force, meaning in effective reserves the ROKA outnumbers the KPA.

I don't need to go into the logistical and technological differences, do I?
Good points, one thing to bear in mind though is that while South Korea does have greater potential reserves, those reserves would take time to mobilize(and likewise it would take time for American assistance to arrive).

During this time while I don't think North Korea could outright win against South Korea, they could cause immense numbers of casualties, especially when we bear in mind how close Seoul is to the border.

North Korea also has 3 times more planes then South Korea, and though those planes are likely much less sophisticated then their southern counterparts, they probably could still cause immense damage to Seoul, especially when you consider that North Korea will probably use Chemical, Biological and Nuclear weapons of some kind or another (while I doubt they have a properly useable Nuclear weapon, they could still spread Radioactivity through "Dirty" Bombs).

At the moment, I think the human costs of a war in Korea would be quite terrible.

EDIT: Perhaps the best possibility might be to assassinate North Korea's senior leadership. Power is so centralized that the country might just collapse into anarchy.
Old 2013-02-12, 11:42   Link #26386
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Also, unless you're willing to fly over there, pick up a rifle and join the fight, I wouldn't be so quick in calling for other people to die to satisfy your need to punish the DPRK.
In fact, I would grab a rifle and put most of that scum out of their misery if I receive orders tomorrow. That kind of regime has no viable reason to exist and only deserves to be torn to shreds by all means.

Quote:
Those who think that ROKA is outnumbered is looking at the wrong numbers.

- KPA has a nominal conscription length of 3~5 years, but effectively 10 years. ROKA has the effective conscription length of 2 years. Basically, the only reason KPA has a higher nominal troop number is because of the length of conscription, not effective conscription.
- While nominal reserves of KPA is 8,200,000, this includes virtually everyone of "reliable" political background from age 17-49, with most of them knowing only the simplest things and mostly used for logistics and construction (less than 20% are actual combat troops). The ROK Reserve Forces of 2,900,000 is to be a pure infantry fighting force, meaning in effective reserves the ROKA outnumbers the KPA.

I don't need to go into the logistical and technological differences, do I?
Very self-explanatory indeed. The South Koreans developped several countermeasures in the last few years, so that would be the last thing to worry about if the Mentally Il wants to play rough. Most of those North Korean reserves are sitting ducks for tactical strikes and even the most devoted bunch would not hold its ground mentally when deprived of sleep, food, and quality equipment to some extent.

Quote:
EDIT: Perhaps the best possibility might be to assassinate North Korea's senior leadership. Power is so centralized that the country might just collapse into anarchy.
I'd be all ears out listening to this if the idea looks solid.
Old 2013-02-12, 11:55   Link #26387
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-12-09-17-54
Quote:
Wrestling was voted out from a final group that also included modern pentathlon, taekwondo and field hockey, officials familiar with the vote told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the voting details were not made public.
I would say than it's a weird choice, wrestling might not be that much popular now, but it's still one of the sports than are related to the original olympic, no ?
Old 2013-02-12, 12:00   Link #26388
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Those quotes ... the stupid, it burns and stings. :P
It used to sting, but after being stung enough times you lose the ability to feel the pain. Now, it just burns and irritates.
Old 2013-02-12, 12:43   Link #26389
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Are you sure?
do you like donuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
It's interesting to see a country that is not much bigger than a dot in world map is capable to make this much change to the world
money talks and Qatar has a lot of it.
Old 2013-02-12, 12:45   Link #26390
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

I don't trust a single assassination mission by ANY Western power to do anything other than harm and in an exceedingly bloody manner.

It's not like they'll poison them or send in an assassin's team with surgical tools. Most likely they'll use a drone and blow everything up or something similarly stupid.
Old 2013-02-12, 12:52   Link #26391
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Someone tell LL Cool J and George Foreman to stay indoors...

LAPD still in search for Dorner, fire on another man in a case of mistake and identity.

Best part is the guy they shot at is shorter, weighs less and is WHITE.
Old 2013-02-12, 13:05   Link #26392
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post

LAPD still in search for Dorner, fire on another man in a case of mistake and identity.

And these are the people who are exempted from all gun control laws because we're supposed to trust them with guns?
Sure.
Old 2013-02-12, 13:13   Link #26393
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

form a poster on another site

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.facebook.com/busayman"
Malcolm U. E. Stowe[/URL]]The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD), The FBI, and the CIA are all trying to prove that they are the best at apprehending criminals. The President decides to give them a test. He releases a rabbit into a forest and each of them has to catch it.

The CIA goes in. They place animal informants throughout the forest. They question all plant and mineral witnesses. After three months of extensive investigations they conclude that rabbits do not exist.

The FBI goes in. After two weeks with no leads they burn the forest, killing everything in it, including the rabbit, and they make no apologies. The rabbit had it coming.

The LAPD goes in. They come out two hours later with a badly beaten bear. The bear is

yelling: "Okay! Okay! I'm a rabbit! I'm a rabbit!"
Old 2013-02-12, 13:18   Link #26394
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
money talks and Qatar has a lot of it.
Not really surprised consider been live here for 5+ years

Old 2013-02-12, 13:19   Link #26395
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I don't trust a single assassination mission by ANY Western power to do anything other than harm and in an exceedingly bloody manner.

It's not like they'll poison them or send in an assassin's team with surgical tools. Most likely they'll use a drone and blow everything up or something similarly stupid.
"Blowing everything up" might just be the way forward. You can't just take out Kim, you have to also take out the senior military personnel as well. Their headquarters is likely large enough that collateral damage is minimal.

And besides, while you might hit a few unfortunate innocent civilians, in the long run by offing the regime millions will be saved.

However, the Anarchy that follows the collapse of the regime might see a lot more people die.

In the end, I don't think anything should be done without the say so of South Korea and China. You would need a very swift response, with all interested parties presenting a unified front.

To get China on side, I'd give them something like 30 year rights to many of the mineral resources in North Korea, and a very large demilitarized "buffer" zone that the new "unified Korea" can't post troops within, and the removal of all US military bases from the peninsula.

As for South Korea, I'd get the US, China and Japan to foot a suitable portion of the bill required for North Korea's transition to a stable state.

As for the North Korean people, they should get enough development aid such that they have a guaranteed food supply, guaranteed employment and a "decent" standard of living during a suitably long "transition period", during which time they'll also receive educational resources to help them integrate into the modern world, and un-indoctrinate them, perhaps with classes given by the North Koreans defectors (who they might more easily identify with).
Old 2013-02-12, 13:21   Link #26396
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
form a poster on another site
That's actually an old Russian Joke, except the CIA are the CIA, the FBI are the French secret service, and the LAPD are the KGB.
Old 2013-02-12, 13:25   Link #26397
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
That's actually an old Russian Joke, except the CIA are the CIA, the FBI are the French secret service, and the LAPD are the KGB.
old jokes are still the best. just a little update and it is all good.
Old 2013-02-12, 14:01   Link #26398
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
And these are the people who are exempted from all gun control laws because we're supposed to trust them with guns?
Sure.
I'm not sure exercising your second amendment right by shooting at them would be the wisest idea though.

But you know the saying, power corrupts. This is why when people toss out the whole "nah, the military will revolt with us if the government turns evil!", I laugh. Some might, but many won't. There's more historical precedent that police and military will turn on their own people when ordered than there is those who mass desert in protest. Not saying it's impossible, but those ties, they run deep.

Far too often we are the weapons of our own destruction.
Old 2013-02-12, 14:17   Link #26399
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-12-09-17-54

I would say than it's a weird choice, wrestling might not be that much popular now, but it's still one of the sports than are related to the original olympic, no ?
I think that's a very strange choice as well. As you say, this is one of the "classical" sports and should be a part of anything going by the name of "olympics."

I suspect it's all about money, especially that $1.4 billion from NBC for the rights to 2020 alone.

Quote:
The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission report that analyzed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity.
The article says there were 344 participants in eighteen wrestling events in 2012. Surely that's enough participation?

I wish the article had listed all 25 "core sports" from which wrestling will be excluded. Limiting the discussion to other potential dismissals like field hockey doesn't give us a good picture of the sports the IOC thinks are "core."

Update: I just happened by the New York Times site. As you might imagine, the comments about this decision are uniformly negative.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-02-12 at 16:06.
Old 2013-02-12, 15:06   Link #26400
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

It's nice to know that, for all their other faults, they're not racist. I mean, you might fear that, what with the suspect's color, they'd indulge in all kind of racial profiling and stuff, but they're equal opportunity bumblers.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international