AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-07, 02:07   Link #161
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I never remembered any of my auditions or concerts, most probably I was in a subconscious bubble whenever I play long pieces.

How Bach invented music theory is just like how Shakespeare invented modern English. Beethoven's pieces often contain heavy overtures and are supposedly played as he held a metal rod in his mouth and used it to "listen" to the pieces. He tried alot of medical treatments, including bathing in murky river water (people at his time bathe without soap, and often once every 2 days), wearing bark strips over his ears and pouring vinegar into his ears (interestingly Hamlet's father died from hensbane poured in the same way, but that is another story).

It seems that you pianists here talk alot about the CLASSICAL aspect of music. What about modern piano players like Jay Chou, Maksim, etc? Do they have to wait 200-300 years to be properly verified as musical geniuses? George Gershwin is probably one of the more well known musicians of the 20th century, with his pieces of modernisation like Rhapsody in Blue, Porgy and Bess, West Side Story (Romeo and Juliet of the Industrial Revolution), etc.

IMO music is music. I am fine with any piece, including hip-hop/rap/techno. Music is a "subtly direct" way of conveying emotions. What you hear is what you get.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 02:15   Link #162
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

musical instruments I play the piano and trumpet.
Old 2009-04-07, 06:45   Link #163
Nosauz

Actually Bach did invent music theory, he created a system and basically the principle of what "sounded good." In other words classical chord progression, so say I-II-IV-V chord progression, or the I-III-IV-V, or the I-II-V. Don't get me wrong, I love jazz piano, I love all sorts of music, but when you look at composers such as Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Hanz, Lizt, and many many other classical composers, they really paved the way for music. Doesn't mean other types of music is less important, it just means for a piano player, not knowing this kind of music is basically selective hearing, on what is "good."

So what if Beethoven used a metal rod to help him "hear" doesn't diminish the fact that his music is still considered some of the best orchestrations that haven't been matched in nearly 200 years. His music is good not just popular with pianists, its popular because its well written.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 06:57   Link #164
Justin Kim
*Artist

Playing the piano with asian parents didn't help either. My parents were the typical "Korean" stereotyped asians. Yes indeed they perfectly fit the image, all they ever did was complain about me getting Bs or As on a report card, and whenever per say I wanted to go out and have some fun at weekends, they would always restrain me at home practicing repetoires of scales on the piano or making me focus on academics. Nonetheless, I think my childhood years were wasted studying, I hardly got to knew anyone by the time I hit my freshman year in highschool. That was just simply terrible.
Justin Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 23:22   Link #165
archangel25

I play the guitar; electric/acoustic.
I'm not that good, though, I'm still learning.
I study guitar using those tutorial eBooks and some other stuffs on the net.

Last edited by archangel25; 2009-04-30 at 04:38.
archangel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 23:28   Link #166
qwertyuiopz

baritone
and trombone if it has valves

its so big
lips get sore and throat dries if i play loud for too long :@

i wanna learn violin or guitar
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 23:34   Link #167
theused69
Viral marketing!!!!

Been playing guitar, but I think I can't do anisongs with only one instrument, so I'm planning to buy myself a keyboard I just don't know what model is good
theused69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 23:42   Link #168
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Asides from knowing how to play the violin and piano, I'm starting on the cello.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 14:24   Link #169
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Triangle
Old 2009-04-18, 14:54   Link #170
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
@The used, anything Yamaha or Roland is good for a nice keyboard.

Depending on your place of residence (small = keyboard, big and permanent = a small piano) if you're just starting I wouldn't recommend getting anything expensive, a hundred or so USD/equiv should be your budget.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 15:24   Link #171
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Blues on my harmonica is the way to go
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 08:42   Link #172
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
guitar, acoustic and sometimes electric.
flute?
piano
larynx? )

all able but not proficient.
Old 2009-08-26, 12:24   Link #173
Cipher

seems like most people here play more than one instrument---especially the guitar. I wouldn't really call it an instrument but does "whistling" count?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 12:39   Link #174
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
What about modern piano players like Jay Chou, Maksim, etc? Do they have to wait 200-300 years to be properly verified as musical geniuses?
I don't think they will ever be considered geniuses in the way that the classical composers Bach, Beethoven, or Debussy were. Those composers advanced the language of music. The music of Debussy is revolutionary compared to that of Bach, and the music of Bach was revolutionary compared to that before him. When Debussy started composing, people thought his music was strange, unpleasant and worthless, after he died people thought his music was beautiful and important. Now that is the effect of true genius.

In comparison, the music of Jay Chou, Eunadi, Yiruma, and etc, is nothing new. The harmonic language they use has existed for a long, long time, and their use of it is quite simplistic. The public at this time in history also seems to prefer the simpler music - most people I know would rather hear a nice gentle Eunadi piano tune then sit through the long, complex drama of a Beethoven symphony. Even if we look at just the circus act of performing, the famous fiery virtuosity of a pianist like Liszt hasn't really seemed to have been exceeded in modern times, though that's obviously not known for sure.

That's not meant to offend anyone. I like plenty of modern artists and I wouldn't pass up a good Yiruma piece. But I don't know if they will be considered "geniuses". I wonder if we have exhausted the possibilities of music. The only real innovations in musical language is the dreaded serial twelve tone music which sounds awful. Maybe we've already explored what is both "innovative" as well as "pleasant to human ears" and can only just repeat.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-08-26 at 13:34.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-26, 20:33   Link #175
P99

I play the electric guitar and the saxaphone.
Old 2009-08-26, 20:50   Link #176
ZeBird0
In a tree

Bass (guitar, not the double bass). Electric and Acoustic. Why? Because there aren't enough bassets in the world -_-
Also cello cause my school forces us to pick up at least one string instrument (besides guitar and bass of course).
Old 2009-08-26, 22:38   Link #177
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

Electric guitar, then moved to bass guitar.

I wish my parents were more asian when I was a toddler in that they would introduce me to the "piano." After I moved to the "big" city, my mom started caring and wanted me to play piano. Gah.

I'd have to say piano is one of those instruments that you have to learn when you're not conscious of what's going on... After 15+ years of age, piano is torture...
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 21:24   Link #178
CookieNinja

Guitar - Strictly acoustic, I can't play any other type without it sounding weird. >.<
CookieNinja is offline   Reply With Quote