Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-22, 08:05   Link #1
coderlan
Student

Inspirational Manga OR Anime OR etc.

eg. a fat boy is too lazy to get his ass up then he meets his first love then he'll do anything just for her...

yeah, something like that...
Old 2010-10-22, 10:56   Link #2
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I suggest Onani Master Kurosawa. I know, you're gonna be like "What the hell is this?" when you read the synopsis and the first couple of chapters but trust me...it's the best coming of age story you'll ever read.
Old 2010-10-22, 10:59   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I suggest Onani Master Kurosawa. I know, you're gonna be like "What the hell is this?" when you read the synopsis and the first couple of chapters but trust me...it's the best coming of age story you'll ever read.
I'll second this and add Cross Game, about a potential young baseball prodigy who ends up becoming a star pitcher due to an old... promise.

Unless you've seen it already.
Old 2010-10-22, 17:21   Link #4
GreatTeacherKen

Love Hina- I'd recommend the original manga as opposed to the anime. Hero Keitaro starts off as a total loser, but as the series goes on, he develops into a stronger person who wins the hearts of the residents of Hinata Inn and gets closer to fulfilling his dreams.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann- this could be considered a coming of age story on a really epic scale. The hero starts off as a timid boy who, although competent, is dependent on his best friend for emotional support, but eventually develops into a hot-blooded and inspirational leader.
Old 2010-10-22, 17:34   Link #5
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I second this, Onani Master Kurosawa defiantly fits your match.
Old 2010-10-22, 18:52   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Clannad, I'd say it should pretty well, as a slacker who had no interest go to school, or really any direction with his life changes because of someone else.

Ookami-san fits pretty well as coming of age type.

MM! maybe? , I mean the story is about him trying to overcome a large problem for the sake of love.
MAL
Old 2010-10-22, 20:01   Link #7
JRendell
Manga Addict

I'll (third? fourth?!) Onani Master Kurosawa. It's excellent.

I'll add History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi. I'm surprised no-one has suggested this yet, as this pretty much sums up inspirational stories for me.

Kenichi starts off very weak and gets bullied frequently. That is, until he meets Mio and introduced to the best Dojo of all time. It's still publishing too!
Old 2010-10-23, 08:29   Link #8
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

For inspriational stuff, sports anime/manga is normally what you want. However, since you are a guy, i also recommend the anime Gurren Lagann
Old 2010-10-23, 10:31   Link #9
coderlan
Student

I'll read Onani Master Kurosawa first, thanks guys;

and OMG this looks interesting...

edit: the art is my taste
Old 2010-10-23, 11:05   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

GTO, because a street gangsta can become the most ambiguous teacher of all time Although he'd do anything for any girl <_<
Also Rosario + Vampire, manga version. Bored normal guy accidentally gets transferred to a yokai academy and falls in love with a vampire.
Seconding v

Last edited by Kafriel; 2010-10-23 at 12:02.
Old 2010-10-23, 11:40   Link #11
Kagayaki

Hoshi no Samidare (aka Wakusei no Samidare, aka Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)
This manga starts out as a "saving the world" plot, but then goes on to subvert/deconstruct a lot of common themes.
A great coming of age story and a thrilling read.
Old 2010-10-23, 12:20   Link #12
~Quasar~
SupeRookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
GTO, because a street gangsta can become the most ambiguous teacher of all time Although he'd do anything for any girl <_<
This and I highly recommend the manga.

Slam Dunk (Anime and Manga) also perfectly fits your description very well. It's about a guy who is a delinquent and quite trouble maker but ends up wanting to change and joining the basketball team to impress the girl he likes. Best sports manga IMO.

Also, try Skip Beat (Anime and Manga). It's about a girl who tries to enter the world of show business to get revenge on his first love for dumping her but ends up liking her job and she begins to strive hard to be one of the best actress in the industry.
Old 2010-10-23, 12:43   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Twelve Kingdoms remains for me the premiere anime depiction of maturation and character growth. It doesn't have much romance, and the protagonist is female, so I'm not sure if the OP would like it.

Kure-nai might be another possibility though the boy is sixteen and the girl just seven. Despite that, it's not a lolicon story at all.

I also find Nodame Cantabile very inspirational because of the commitment the characters all display for their craft.
Old 2010-10-23, 13:09   Link #14
devildog23
Summerlurking

Overdrive - "Shinozaki Mikoto is a student who's life is really routine. Going to school, going home, going to school, going home...nothing changes....until the day the girl he likes talks to him and introduces him to bicycling. His life now has a new meaning, and a bright path has shown itself to Shinozaki. Experiencing both failure and success throughout his training, he works hard to become the best cyclist in the world."
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=7629

Ignore how its about cycling because I never watched any cycling race and found this to be intense, inspirational and just good. I think it really fits your request.

I second Cross Game.
Old 2010-10-23, 13:10   Link #15
signorRossi

Because ~Quasar~ mentioned 'Slam Dunk' I remembered the manga 'Real' from the same author IIRC, the description 'inspirational' fits this manga perfectly. You rarely get to read a manga this good.

Last edited by signorRossi; 2010-10-23 at 14:58.
Closed Thread