AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-10-26, 00:22   Link #1
Talesweaving
Bonta-Kun SWAT Team

[GSD] Kido Senshi... What does "Kido" mean?

I been looking around for the meaning but to no luck. Anyone know what it means?
Talesweaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 00:46   Link #2
[UKE]Auel
The Oncoming Storm

Send a message via AIM to [UKE]Auel Send a message via MSN to [UKE]Auel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesweaving
I been looking around for the meaning but to no luck. Anyone know what it means?
To move or be mobile.
[UKE]Auel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 00:47   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Kido = 機動 = mobile
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 11:28   Link #4
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

That's why Gundam series are usally called Mobile Suit Gundam... (MSG)
Nagare Ryouma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 12:23   Link #5
epyon96

How about Senshi? What does that mean? "Suit"?

EPYON
epyon96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 12:39   Link #6
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Senshi = 戰士 = warrior
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 12:54   Link #7
Deviation
Kimi wa dare da?

Kido senshi = Mobile warrior in japanese
kido can mean mechanical too...
Deviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 14:18   Link #8
Blaat

So "suit" isn't an accurate translation of senshi?
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 14:20   Link #9
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
So "suit" isn't an accurate translation of senshi?
No, it's not 'accurate'...it's blatantly wrong as a translation. However, back in the first series MS officially stands for Mobile Suits, and that's why everyone calls them Mobile Suits as opposed to Mobile Warriors which sounds corny as hell.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 14:24   Link #10
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

not to mention "mobile suit" directly translated into japanese kanji would be corny as hell too so they made the right decision, use japanese kanji "kido senshi", use english term "mobile suit"
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 15:25   Link #11
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
But no-one refers to MS as "kidou senshi" in the series - they always say "mobileu suitsu"
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 17:42   Link #12
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
No, it's not 'accurate'...it's blatantly wrong as a translation. However, back in the first series MS officially stands for Mobile Suits, and that's why everyone calls them Mobile Suits as opposed to Mobile Warriors which sounds corny as hell.
Notice that NONE of the other Japanese Gundam "titles" have anything to do with the English translation either... "Kidou Butoden G Gundam" does not mean "Mobile Fighter G Gundam"... "Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing" does not mean "Mobile Suit Gundam Wing" (though in Japan it didn't really have an official English title)... ""Kidou Shin Seiki Gundam X" does not mean "After War Gundam X"...

I guess they all followed in the footsteps of "Kidou Senshi Gundam" by having mistranslated titles... Then again, that tend to be the case with mecha anime in general ("Shinseiki Evangelion" -> "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and "Kidou Senkan Nadesico" -> "Martian Successor Nadesico" for example)
Old 2004-10-26, 23:00   Link #13
ths1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Notice that NONE of the other Japanese Gundam "titles" have anything to do with the English translation either... "Kidou Butoden G Gundam" does not mean "Mobile Fighter G Gundam"... "Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing" does not mean "Mobile Suit Gundam Wing" (though in Japan it didn't really have an official English title)... ""Kidou Shin Seiki Gundam X" does not mean "After War Gundam X"...
Actually, if you want to me technical, Kidou Senshi literally means "Mobile Mechanical Warrior" which in the context of the anime itself, refers to the Mobile Suits used in the series. That's the reason why they used Mobile Suit instead of Mobile Mechanical Warrior. You can probably think of Kidou Senshi as the Japanese translation for "Mobile Suit" because they always refer to mobile suits in the anime (in japanese) as "mobiru suutsu".

As for the other series, "Kidou Butouden" literally means "Mobile Martial Arts Fighting Legend". To make things simple, the Japanese used Mobile Fighter as it refers to the people involved in this "Martial Artrs Fighting Legend".

"Shin Kidou Seiki" has actually been translated by the Japanese as "New Mobile War Report" which is what that means. It's only in the official English dub version that they used "Mobile Suit Gundam Wing" which is WRONG!

"Kidou Shin Seiki" literally means "Mobile New Century" which refers to the fact that in Gundam X, the world was destroyed, so they entered a "new century" of sorts, which happened after a major war. That's why they used "After War" instead.

From what I see, they don't mistranslate the titles, they actually simply change from the inferred title to the explicit meaning of the title.

ths1138
ths1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 23:15   Link #14
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ths1138
"Shin Kidou Seiki" has actually been translated by the Japanese as "New Mobile War Report" which is what that means. It's only in the official English dub version that they used "Mobile Suit Gundam Wing" which is WRONG!
"New Mobile War Report" as far as I know is not an officially translated title for the show. I know its used in certain regional releases in Asia though.

Two other translations seen are "New Mobile War Chronicles" and "New Mobile Report"... Neither of which have been used to any consistency.

And just about ALL other oversea releases of the show (not just the English dub) have the title "Mobile Suit Gundam Wing", so for all intends and purposes that should pretty much be considered its official English/Romaji title.
Old 2004-10-27, 06:33   Link #15
ths1138

Quote:
"New Mobile War Report" as far as I know is not an officially translated title for the show. I know its used in certain regional releases in Asia though.

Two other translations seen are "New Mobile War Chronicles" and "New Mobile Report"... Neither of which have been used to any consistency.

And just about ALL other oversea releases of the show (not just the English dub) have the title "Mobile Suit Gundam Wing", so for all intends and purposes that should pretty much be considered its official English/Romaji title.
Heh, I guess maybe that's why I see it often enough since I'm in Asia.... I thought the main reason all other overseas releases of "Mobile Suit Gundam Wing" was due to the American release (since everyone else in the English speaking world for some weird reason follows American convention).

That and the words "New Mobile Report" are printed on the Japanese DVD covers of Gundam Wing. I thought the Japanese version would be the "right" ones.. ;p

ths1138
Old 2004-10-27, 20:43   Link #16
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
That and the words "New Mobile Report" are printed on the Japanese DVD covers of Gundam Wing. I thought the Japanese version would be the "right" ones.. ;p
Hey, you're right... Never noticed that.

But still, "Shin Kidou Senki" does not mean "New Mobile Report" (close, but not quite), so my point still holds...

BTW aren't you the one responsible for Anime-Gundam's Turn A release?
Old 2004-10-27, 22:52   Link #17
ths1138

Quote:
Hey, you're right... Never noticed that.

But still, "Shin Kidou Senki" does not mean "New Mobile Report" (close, but not quite), so my point still holds...

BTW aren't you the one responsible for Anime-Gundam's Turn A release?
Hmm, "Shin Kidou Senki" would be "New Mobile War Report" so I guessed they missed out the "War" part... ;p

And yeah, I'm the one doing the Turn A Gundam... Don't complain about speed... It's hard enough subbing stuff single-handedly while maintaining a life ouside of the Internet, and the fact that I'm a full time student also doesn't help.

ths1138
Old 2004-10-28, 09:01   Link #18
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Hmm, "Shin Kidou Senki" would be "New Mobile War Report" so I guessed they missed out the "War" part... ;p
Exactly.

Quote:
And yeah, I'm the one doing the Turn A Gundam... Don't complain about speed... It's hard enough subbing stuff single-handedly while maintaining a life ouside of the Internet, and the fact that I'm a full time student also doesn't help.
Who says I was complaining about the speed? Good job on it though... Much better quality than anything out in English for it right now.
Old 2004-10-28, 10:35   Link #19
Blaat

I have a question, does the word Zaku have any meaning? I thought I've heard it as a normal word in other shows mostly shounen though.

Quote:
Nobody is complaining as Brightman your doing a good job and I'm waiting patiently
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 11:09   Link #20
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
I have a question, does the word Zaku have any meaning? I thought I've heard it as a normal word in other shows mostly shounen though.
Other than being a onomatopoeia for crunching sounds, I don't like "Zaku" mean anything...

Though "Zaku" could be a katakana version of "Zuck"...? Dunno.