Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-09-09, 03:55   Link #101
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I tried playing around a bit, but I think the monetary requirements are just too much—even for a Harvest Moon game. Besides the new farming mechanics and the number of upgrades you would be aiming for, there are also those bridges that you have to build. If it weren't for those harvest festivals, I would have abandoned farming altogether and just concentrate on fishing... and don't even get me started on mining. You really need to plan things out.

On the plus side, it looks like the town advances financially as you do (at least in terms of appearances), which is a nice touch in my opinion. The new characters are refreshing as well, even though they still look like too cartoonic to me.

Still, as all Harvest Moon games go, this is one is just as time-consuming, if not more than previous iterations.
Yeah, it's a lot harder to get everything up in the first year. Crops still remain one of my top earners still. But that's mostly because i can't go too deep into the mines yet. One nice things about the new weather effect is that when it' not sunny, you get a lot of time and energy to invest in other parts of the game.

I'm in yr 2 now, just started planting rice which doesnt requires watering XD. Hopefully, i ll be able to saved up enough food to hit some of the sweet spots in the mine and earn enough money to build my third bridge and upgrade the barns for my animals
Old 2008-09-09, 06:00   Link #102
kujoe
from head to heel

I decided to hit the mines early. With a lot of colored grasses, I was able to reach eighty-something floors. It didn't really pay off that much though, since my main objective was to just gather enough orichalc for some accessories. It's now winter of the first year in my game, and I'm still preparing foodstuffs and whatnot for another mining run. And this time, with the intention of getting rich.

The other methods that work for me are farm animals. I only farm to win the festivals, and that's pretty much it. The big money is really with the mines.

All in all, a good Harvest Moon game with some improvements, at the cost of being such a time-waster. Actually, I'm wondering if I should have skipped this game for the next one, which is basically an expansion to "Island of Happiness" and then some.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 06:31   Link #103
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I manage to hit 60 before i ran out of grass (wasted a lot during the first spring n summer replenishing staminas for farming).

I have stop shipping most of my products right now to use for cooking Planning to try and hit the 255th floor to get a Wonderful off the goddess after the Cooking Competition in Spring.

Gave up fishing after I won the fishing competition during Winter. Just felt like too much of a RL time waster eventhough it's a great way utilize extra staminas.

I was only getting this game to tide me over till Rune Factory 2 comes out end of oct and so far, it's done the job quite nicely.
Old 2008-09-10, 00:55   Link #104
gold_orb
disrespectful heckler

the only harvest moon game i have played is the snes one.

i liked the game alot, it gives you alot to do, like one huge level. i like things like that.

however at the time i played it. i didn't understand why the farming was importent. i only got through one year (rented the game) and by the end of that year i had two patches of crops (18 squares) and no animals. i really didn't understand the concept of the game at that time but i loved it anyway.
gold_orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 08:04   Link #105
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_orb View Post
the only harvest moon game i have played is the snes one.

i liked the game alot, it gives you alot to do, like one huge level. i like things like that.

however at the time i played it. i didn't understand why the farming was importent. i only got through one year (rented the game) and by the end of that year i had two patches of crops (18 squares) and no animals. i really didn't understand the concept of the game at that time but i loved it anyway.
For some reason I always loved the farming. But if I have to be honest, the SNES game is still my favourite one, even though it was the first one I played and I didn't have a lot of experience. Which is weird, becuase the HM games now are so much better; you can play with a girl (which is great when you are a girl and would rather pursue guys x) ), you can cook (and the recipes thingie is adorable), you can have more animals, etc, you can do so much more...! And especially on Rune Factory, when you can also fight with monsters, etc.
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 16:03   Link #106
gold_orb
disrespectful heckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
For some reason I always loved the farming. But if I have to be honest, the SNES game is still my favourite one, even though it was the first one I played and I didn't have a lot of experience. Which is weird, becuase the HM games now are so much better; you can play with a girl (which is great when you are a girl and would rather pursue guys x) ), you can cook (and the recipes thingie is adorable), you can have more animals, etc, you can do so much more...! And especially on Rune Factory, when you can also fight with monsters, etc.
rune factory sounds like an awsome cross.

farming simulator + small RPG = epic + funny + creative + envy of other genera cross overs.
gold_orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 05:09   Link #107
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_orb View Post
farming simulator + small RPG = epic + funny + creative + envy of other genera cross overs.
That's exactly why I love it. Many people, however, seem to dislike the game because of that. Go figure...! I can't understand that, as the gameplay is still similar, and you can still marry+have children+upgrade your home+farm+cook+etc etc.

I can't wait for the English version of Rune Factory Frontier, hehe. :P
Old 2008-09-11, 07:33   Link #108
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFilipa View Post
That's exactly why I love it. Many people, however, seem to dislike the game because of that. Go figure...! I can't understand that, as the gameplay is still similar, and you can still marry+have children+upgrade your home+farm+cook+etc etc.

I can't wait for the English version of Rune Factory Frontier, hehe. :P
Actually I prefer Rune Factory over Harvest Moon because my farm animals not only gives produces for me to sell but some of em can help me water and harvest my crops

But like any established game franchises, the fanbases tends to get a bit defensive when new competitions comes in. Some for valid reasons (HM is still better in the farming aspect) and some just for the fandom that HM have commanded for so long.
Old 2008-09-11, 08:13   Link #109
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Actually I prefer Rune Factory over Harvest Moon because my farm animals not only gives produces for me to sell but some of em can help me water and harvest my crops

But like any established game franchises, the fanbases tends to get a bit defensive when new competitions comes in. Some for valid reasons (HM is still better in the farming aspect) and some just for the fandom that HM have commanded for so long.
Yeah, me too (except for the SNES version)! Also, you can have wolves and such, how cool is that!
But I love them all nonetheless.
Old 2008-09-11, 19:30   Link #110
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

Is RF really good?I've only played,MM,AWL,ANWL,AWL:SE,DS and Cute >> I want to get RF2,TOT and IOH however....Does RFF sound good,I'm not sure about it. It seems fun,but then..?
Old 2008-09-12, 01:50   Link #111
kujoe
from head to heel

It's more of a dungeon crawler with some farming.

The farming sim mechanics have been toned in favor of action RPG elements, so it will depend on what you're looking for with regard to whether you'll like it or not. I've played the first RF, and I couldn't help but miss Harvest Moon even more. Because of this, I feel that both aspects end up being mediocre... a jack of all trades in other words. Moreover, veteran HM folks might find RF easier a bit, but then again both games are essentially grind-a-thons, albeit in an easy "my own pace" kind of way.

Personally, I would look elsewhere if I wanted my action RPG fix, but that's just me. Hopefully, RF2 would be an improvement.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 11:02   Link #112
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

RF was a lot of fun I think. It's kind of buggy though (like marrying Melody means you don't get to use the bath house anymore) and there are some features I miss - like the girls don't say new things at higher affection levels.

But it had Lynette. And Lynette is <3
Old 2008-09-13, 01:34   Link #113
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuugu-chan View Post
Is RF really good?I've only played,MM,AWL,ANWL,AWL:SE,DS and Cute >> I want to get RF2,TOT and IOH however....Does RFF sound good,I'm not sure about it. It seems fun,but then..?
If you liked HM, you should try the RF series out.
Old 2008-09-13, 12:58   Link #114
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

does anyone knows that the new hm is any good on wii and ds?

the biggest problem that i have w/ hm (especially the newer ones) is that they still dont have voice acting for each character.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 22:53   Link #115
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I didn't mind the monster fighting aspect of RF. Just some minor complaints with the festivals and some glitches. Not that this is limited to Rune Factory, just like it when the festivals have some depth to them. Instead of just a couple lines of changed dialogue and raising their opinion of you. But was definitely worth playing.

Do have high hopes for RF2 and will see how that one turns out. This has really been a favourite series for me over the years.
Old 2008-09-22, 16:40   Link #116
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

damn them, they Pushed the release back for the new Wii harvest moon to the 30th DX damn it!
Old 2008-09-22, 17:47   Link #117
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Rune Factory 2 is coming out soon.

About time a GOOD HM game came out again.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 18:00   Link #118
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripfag View Post
Rune Factory 2 is coming out soon.

About time a GOOD HM game came out again.
Rune Factory???? You mean that Futureish Harvest moon? I didn't really like it that much... I don't know why...
Old 2008-10-01, 11:33   Link #119
AnimeFangirl

If you didn't like the first, you won't like the second. I thought they were pretty good, though.
Old 2008-10-01, 13:09   Link #120
Shadow Kira01

Does Rune Factory have anime/CG cutscenes? What about voiced dialogues? I got Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon and don't like it. I also got Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness and haven't played too much of it yet, since the game focuses too much on farming. It is certainly boring to be spending hours of time on cutting grass, plowing fields, watering plants, chopping tree slumps and hammering stones.

I hope Rune Factory 2 will not have any that.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote