AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-05-29, 11:46   Link #3261
WefiDasst

Getting beat by G-saviour...Wow.
WefiDasst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 14:05   Link #3262
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Are each of those the lowest rated episode in the series or an average of some sort?
Old 2012-05-29, 18:04   Link #3263
brightman
Ancient Member

Yeah, third arc really not catching on at all...

Ep 31 got a 1.7% rating.
Old 2012-05-29, 18:12   Link #3264
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Oh, wow. That sucks.

Sofar, i'd say Gen 2 had the best episodes(overall), but apparently it didnt catch on more viewers.

Too bad the first impression really matters when it comes to children, they arent going to watch something that didnt catch their attention twice.

I really wonder what the top brass is saying about AGE.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 18:41   Link #3265
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Oh, wow. That sucks.

Sofar, i'd say Gen 2 had the best episodes(overall), but apparently it didnt catch on more viewers.

Too bad the first impression really matters when it comes to children, they arent going to watch something that didnt catch their attention twice.

I really wonder what the top brass is saying about AGE.
Probably already wrote it off as a loss. DVD/BD sales are abysmal (less than 2,000 copies sold per volume) and ratings are dropping. Not sure about merchandise but they said UC is carrying the Gunpla lines, not AGE. The Level 5 game for PSP will probably fail. Considering how much planning and research went into this series, and the preair expectations for it (ie AGE Gunpla outselling both 00 and SEED), its gotta be by far the biggest commercial failure in Gundam history.

Oh, and it looks like Ep 32 got a 1.7% too. So average ratings for the three arcs so far are 3.22% for Flit, 2.33% for Asemu, and 1.95% for Kio.
Old 2012-05-29, 18:54   Link #3266
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
AGE just broke X's record of all time low.
This is just pitiful, and I don't mean AGE. I mean people. This show is not that bad, to get these ratings is just, downright unfair.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 19:26   Link #3267
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
This is just pitiful, and I don't mean AGE. I mean people. This show is not that bad, to get these ratings is just, downright unfair.
I agree... Especially since IMO the show has gotten better and better even as ratings got worse and worse. But I think its just a function of Bandai/Sunrise not marketing or executing the show correctly such that it appeals to the appropriate audience. You really can't blame the "people" for that.
Old 2012-05-29, 19:53   Link #3268
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I don't like what happened to AGE, and even though I have zero interest in it and wouldn't buy it's stuff I'm still sad to see a Gundam do this badly.

That said, it's not the people's fault if Sunrise and Bandai had super crazy expectations (beating SEED? Really?) and failed to capture the audience.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 22:02   Link #3269
justavisitor

@SonicSP
I think the chart means the average rating...and remember that gundam X did change the time slot (to a not so good time slot I assume)...(I assume the chart says the gundam X had an average rating of 3.51% before the change)...It is actually not an easy task to break that infamous record, but Age still managed to beat it...(well it still has 10+ episodes to turn it around)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 22:09   Link #3270
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
@SonicSP
I think the chart means the average rating...and remember that gundam X did change the time slot (to a not so good time slot I assume)...(I assume the chart says the gundam X had an average rating of 3.51% before the change)...It is actually not an easy task to break that infamous record, but Age still managed to beat it...(well it still has 10+ episodes to turn it around)
At least its still ahead of the SD Gundam shows, I guess...
Old 2012-05-29, 23:50   Link #3271
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
I don't like what happened to AGE, and even though I have zero interest in it and wouldn't buy it's stuff I'm still sad to see a Gundam do this badly.

That said, it's not the people's fault if Sunrise and Bandai had super crazy expectations (beating SEED? Really?) and failed to capture the audience.
Curious, why are you not interested in Age, considering that this record breaking rating resulted from Bandai's target audiences NOT watching Age and reportedly not buying its merchandise? I didn't like at first then it got pretty interesting (especially the U.C. homages).
Old 2012-05-29, 23:54   Link #3272
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

I think AGE quality wise "should" do better commercially but if people don't watch it it's not really their fault. These days there are many shows that compete for people's attention and money, and shows have to work hard in terms of advertising or have a good concept or just first impressions.

I mean AGE is a GUNDAM (a good brand) series in a great timeslot. It's got some good things going for it so Sunrise or circumstances must have messed it up somehow and failed to sell it to people either because the concept failed or the first impressions doesn't work well and these can be important to a product's success.

I know there are some western TV Shows that I love that got cancelled. I didn't think they deserve it personally but I'm one guy in a market and if people dont want to watch it because they didn't like it or some other problems, it's not the people's fault. Products and business fail all the time, its a fact of life. Shows serve people and get rewarded if they succeeded in getting people support them, but the people who have to spend their earned money as well as opportunity cost(in terms of time they could use watching something else) don't really owe them anything.

Data gathered from failures can be important for future projects though. Sunrise should do a comprehensive post mortem so they could gather data and find out why things happened the way they did and how their next attempt on tweens (if not any ordinary Gundam series). Was it the show? Advertising? Concept? First impressions? Generation changes? Cyclical problems? I'm pretty sure they will though.

I'm still hoping these won't affect AGE's length but it's hard to ignore record numbers and not be worried about the possibility of a shortened length.
Old 2012-05-30, 00:04   Link #3273
FalsePrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
Curious, why are you not interested in Age, considering that this record breaking rating resulted from Bandai's target audiences NOT watching Age and reportedly not buying its merchandise? I didn't like at first then it got pretty interesting (especially the U.C. homages).
For me it has to do with the man behind this particular series.

Hino and Level 5 have continued to make things that I don't enjoy despite repeated attempts to give them a shot and I hate the character and overall artistic design. Taking it one step further this is the easily the worst Mech Design in Gundam save only Turn A and G Savior for me.

As for story? I haven't watched most of it and I will admit the story could very well be one of the best in Gundam. That said I personally don't believe ANY Gundam is all that good storywise and for me Gundam is largely about presentation and AGE fails at that completely.

As for the UC Homages, that really falls flat for me as I'm one of the people who don't care for UC outside of ZZ and Char's Counter Attack. Overall the UC timeline doesn't do much for me and I stick mainly with in the AU series.

Last edited by FalsePrime; 2012-05-30 at 00:31.
Old 2012-05-30, 00:19   Link #3274
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Taking it one step further this is the easily the worst Mech Design in Gundam save only Turn A and G Savior for me.
I guess I can understand that. For me AGE's mechs design is one of it's best assets as far as my tastes are concerned and contributes a a decent amount to my enjoyment of it. In an opposite manner, mech design for Seed I really hate and is one of the factors that prevent me from enjoying like I did 00 and AGE, which mech designs I love to death. So I guess this is the presentation aspect of it.

As for character designs, I agree with you as far as teenagers and leads are concerned but I am of the opinion that the adult designs have mainly great.
Old 2012-05-30, 00:30   Link #3275
FalsePrime

In all honesty I haven't seen many of the adults. Main Grudeck from Gen 1 if I remember right and he was okay. That said the leads are about as horrible as art can get in my eyes and really turn me off the show knowing I'm going to have to deal and look at these characters.
Old 2012-05-30, 01:29   Link #3276
RX93-2
White Unicorn

The turn A looks amazing and that invalidates half your post.
Turn A Gundam, best gundam.
RX93-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 02:01   Link #3277
FalsePrime

Got asked a question so I gave an honest answer.

I can't argue about Turn A's power, but it's design is the second worst Gundam ever to me.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:55   Link #3278
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
For me it has to do with the man behind this particular series.

Hino and Level 5 have continued to make things that I don't enjoy despite repeated attempts to give them a shot and I hate the character and overall artistic design. Taking it one step further this is the easily the worst Mech Design in Gundam save only Turn A and G Savior for me.
Are....are you being series right now? AGE has the worst mecha designs?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 03:04   Link #3279
FalsePrime

Very much so.

Unless we are going to count the wacky stuff from G, then yeah AGE has the worst Mecha design to me.

AGE-1 plays it far to safe, Titus/Sparrow look terrible and both the AGE 2 Normal and DB look lame to me.

AGE - 3 looked good in line art(Partly because of my love of ZZ which it has a similar feel) but thus far hasn't held up all that well in shots from the show.

Everything from UC/G/W/X/SEED(Minus backpacks)/SEED Destiny (ditto from SEED) and OO look much better to me. They all bring something new to the table that I like and thus far AGE has nothing aside from one suits line art and a bunch of Vegan/UE designs that I think are the worst grunts enemies in Gundam.
Old 2012-05-30, 03:31   Link #3280
Plant42

For me AGE has one of best mecha design, both the gundams and the grunts.
They make me back to buy gunplas again after I've stop for more than 6 years.

Quote:

As for story? I haven't watched most of it and I will admit the story could very well be one of the best in Gundam. That said I personally don't believe ANY Gundam is all that good storywise and for me Gundam is largely about presentation and AGE fails at that completely.
For storywise, I've to say the Novel of Gundam AGE is one of the best.
Despise it has the same structure as its anime counterpart for what and where the main events happen, the contents such as characters depth, worldview, technological information and etc are so different that you can call this as a full remake.

To say that it'is "Gundam AGE complete edition" is not an overstatement. It is what happens when AGE can use its potential fully and definitely not a gundam that kids can watch anymore.
I'd like to recommend it to both AGE lovers as well as haters.
Plant42 is offline   Reply With Quote