AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2015-02-13, 12:25   Link #841
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
Yep, it does from what I saw.
I see. Thanks for the answer
Old 2015-02-14, 13:08   Link #842
Fizix
Nitpicking

Just for the ost background track, this is good:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 07:28   Link #843
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

I've always been wondering why there aren't any professional To Aru AMVs (at least I haven't seen any).

(by professional I mean AMVs made by (pro) AMV makers who belong to pro teams and who participate regularily in different international AMV contests and make it to the finalists).

I've see some professional MEPs that have To Aru in them though.
But I want full (pro) AMVs of To Aru

This MEP is my favorite, and I loved the part 0:20-0:49 of Railgun, made by MDL (MagicDarkLight), one of my favorite professional AMV makers out there <3

(I don't know if I'm allowed to post MEPs here, so I'll put the spoiler tag as it contains other anime)

Spoiler for MEP (AMV):
Old 2015-02-17, 10:41   Link #844
Fizix
Nitpicking

Some AMV's are very professionally done, a lot of them however tend to be crappy, they often suffer from:

Poor matching of music to the content
Basically focusing on fan service
Over use of effects and layering to the point that it's just a busy mish-mash of stuff
90% of them don't tell a story, they are just a mash up of scenes the author thinks look cool/cute/funny

Here is one I do like, it actually tells a story (at least to the extent that it flows in a meaningful way: Mikoto discovers the project, encounters Accelerator and fails in protecting a sister, attempts to destroy the facility and then calls for help), the music matches up (not perfect but works), the video is HD, effects are used creatively and sparingly.

YouTube

The production values in that MEP are very good, it's a little bit busy but works for what it's trying to do. I do prefer AMV's that tell some kind of a story though; so you can at least grasp roughly what kind of thing is going on even if you haven't seen the show. Part of the point of AMV's are to promote shows and allow fans to enjoy parts of the show presented in a cool way so I'd like to see more that do that.

One thing with To Aru AMV's, it has without doubt a brilliant OST and so many AMV's fail to make use of it. I haven't seen many that do this, just the one I posted previously and a Mikoto one using the electromaster theme, it started with "Hey hero, ever heard of a railgun" before the music kicked in and showed the battles between Touma and Mikoto. Can't find it now, but that had great production values.

Another, which didn't use the OST, but a track that had a similar kind of sound to the one I posted previously; it was the AMV I saw when I checked the series out. It started with "Index Librorum Prohibitorum" kind of introducing that, and then introduced Touma, then Index, then Mikoto and finally Accelerator, kind of showing their characters. It was pretty slick and had voice overs brought into it.

Last edited by Fizix; 2015-02-17 at 11:03.
Old 2015-02-17, 11:26   Link #845
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizix View Post
Some AMV's are very professionally done, a lot of them however tend to be crappy, they often suffer from:

Poor matching of music to the content
Basically focusing on fan service
Over use of effects and layering to the point that it's just a busy mish-mash of stuff
90% of them don't tell a story, they are just a mash up of scenes the author thinks look cool/cute/funny

Here is one I do like, it actually tells a story (at least to the extent that it flows in a meaningful way: Mikoto discovers the project, encounters Accelerator and fails in protecting a sister, attempts to destroy the facility and then calls for help), the music matches up (not perfect but works), the video is HD, effects are used creatively and sparingly.

Spoiler:
I've seen this one. I liked it, but I still found some passages that bothered me (some overlays that are unmatchable, some lagging due to descelerating the scene too much, flow doesn't go up when the music needs to sometimes).

But hey, it's still pretty awesome

I do not pretend to be able to make a better one in any way

I just wanted to see a To Aru AMV that would make me be "Wow, this is PERFECT! *_* "

Btw, not all AMVs have to tell a story. MEPs & Anime Mixes generally do not tell a story. But AMVs with one Anime should do it.

About effects, yes, the majority tend to either exagerate using them till it becomes random, or to be repetitive by repeating the same transition/effect during the whole video.

The good To Aru AMVs fall into the latter category imo. They do tell a story, I notices that they stick to the Anime's real story. They also lack diversity in effects/transitions. To put it in another way, they lack original ideas. They do not adventure further. Sometimes I think maybe it's the anime's fault itself, as there is not a big diversity in the scenes/events and thus it limits the editors that work on it.

There are exactly two To Aru AMVs that I consider pro ones, and they have original ideas either in story or effects.
(I don't have their links now, when I find them again I will post them here)
Old 2015-02-17, 11:37   Link #846
Fizix
Nitpicking

I don't think I've seen a perfect one, the best ones tend to be good but they all have flaws. I generally agree with the Relax Complex criticisms but feel its one of the better ones.

With AMV's having a story, I do prefer them to; or to show off what they intend too in a meaningful and varied way.

Like if you're doing a character exhibition, that doesn't have to tell a story as that's not the point. Just don't focus on one character, even their screen time out as much as possible and show them in an accurate light without focusing on the fan service or missrepresenting them. Something pretty much every character exhibition does. To Aru has 5 main protagonists who are all solid and have great moments, yet people create exhibitions that fan onto one or two of them as opposed to presenting them all properly.

I have an aversion to over use of effects. I'm an artist and animator so it probably comes from that. Over produced is just a no-no, so I get turned off by it; effects should be subtle and used to enhance a moment or a particular element. Too many AMV's throw effects everywhere and overlay scenes (and badly) so it becomes a mess.
Old 2015-02-17, 11:58   Link #847
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
I don't think I've seen a perfect one, the best ones tend to be good but they all have flaws. I generally agree with the Relax Complex criticisms but feel its one of the better ones.

With AMV's having a story, I do prefer them to; or to show off what they intend too in a meaningful and varied way.

Like if you're doing a character exhibition, that doesn't have to tell a story as that's not the point. Just don't focus on one character, even their screen time out as much as possible and show them in an accurate light without focusing on the fan service or missrepresenting them. Something pretty much every character exhibition does. To Aru has 5 main protagonists who are all solid and have great moments, yet people create exhibitions that fan onto one or two of them as opposed to presenting them all properly.

I have an aversion to over use of effects. I'm an artist and animator so it probably comes from that. Over produced is just a no-no, so I get turned off by it; effects should be subtle and used to enhance a moment or a particular element. Too many AMV's throw effects everywhere and overlay scenes (and badly) so it becomes a mess.
1/ I've seen nearly perfect AMVs. Check Fracture AMV by Gorz, & tell me what you think xD
There is The Boy Who Murdered Love AMV by Oneways, check it too. These are my favorite AMVs.

2/About Character exhibition, I think To Aru AMVs that do it suffer from what you said: focusing too much on either Misaka, Touma or Accel

3/I agree overuse of effects is a bad thing in an AMV. Effects should have a clear purpose ,if not, they just make the AMV look unclean, and that's one of the most common mistakes editors do.

Quote:
Another, which didn't use the OST, but a track that had a similar kind of sound to the one I posted previously; it was the AMV I saw when I checked the series out. It started with "Index Librorum Prohibitorum" kind of introducing that, and then introduced Touma, then Index, then Mikoto and finally Accelerator, kind of showing their characters. It was pretty slick and had voice overs brought into it.
I know the AMV you're talking about. But that's actually not an AMV. It's a trailer AMV, trailer AMVs use soundtracks and other non vocal music, and they put voice overs, like how you would see a trailer on TV for a movie or something. Normal AMVs though should avoid adding voice overs, writing text (or using scenes with subtitles) or even putting scenes where there are moving lips (unless they want to do a lip sync and at that moment the lips movements should be synchronised to the music).
Old 2015-02-17, 12:02   Link #848
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpIDa View Post
1/ I've seen nearly perfect AMVs. Check Fracture AMV by Gorz, & tell me what you think xD
There is A Boy Who Murdered Love AMV by Oneways, check it too. These are my favorite AMVs.
I'll hunt them out in a bit.

Quote:
2/About Character exhibition, I think To Aru AMVs that do it suffer from what you said: focusing too much on either Misaka, Touma or Accel
Agreed and in the case of Mikoto and Accel they tend to focus on the same things over and over. I don't mind if it's a single character exhibition as thats a single character exhibition, but when you're doing a multi-character exhibition then you're lucky to get more than 3 seconds of index (unless its fan service) and it'll focus mainly on one of the other three.

Quote:
3/I agree overuse of effects is a bad thing in an AMV. Effects should have a clear purpose ,if not, they just make the AMV look unclean, and that's one of the most common mistakes editors do.
Yep

Quote:
I know the AMV you're talking about. But that's actually not an AMV. It's a trailer AMV, trailer AMVs use soundtracks and other non vocal music, and they put voice overs, like how you would see a trailer on TV for a movie or something. Normal AMVs though should avoid adding voice overs, writing text (or using scenes with subtitles) or even putting scenes where there are moving lips (unless they want to do a lip sync and at that moment the lips movements should be synchronised to the music).
Was it an official trailer or a fan trailer as I've never been able to find it since? I thought it was a good video.
Old 2015-02-17, 12:06   Link #849
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
Was it an official trailer or a fan trailer as I've never been able to find it since? I thought it was a good video.
The one I was talking about is a fan trailer.
Maybe you meant another one?
Old 2015-02-17, 12:14   Link #850
Fizix
Nitpicking

I got the impression is was a fan one as it said MAD next to it. It was a while ago and I can't find it again. When you said trailer I just wondered if it was official or not as I was looking for it.
Old 2015-02-17, 12:23   Link #851
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
I got the impression is was a fan one as it said MAD next to it. It was a while ago and I can't find it again. When you said trailer I just wondered if it was official or not as I was looking for it.
Ah I see. If it's writen it's a MAD than 100% it's fanmade. Trailer is the category these fanmade videos belong to. Like how there are AMVs, there are MADs & there are Trailers.
Even though MADs are just japanese AMVs, they technically count as a separate category because they use different techniques than AMVs.

Btw, check Time AMV & PencilHead AMV by Qwaqa. Qwaqa is for a lot of editors is the best editor in the world.(If Japanese MADs are excluded)
Old 2015-02-17, 12:30   Link #852
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Once again, this is the best Index/Railgun MAD I've ever seen:

YouTube

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 13:18   Link #853
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Once again, this is the best Index/Railgun MAD I've ever seen:

YouTube
I like this one too.
Not as a MAD, but as a Trailer MAD because in terms of effects it's still basic compared to other MADs, but it's flow & synchronisation are good.
(MADs can include Trailers too)

My favorite To Aru MAD is this one

YouTube
Old 2015-02-17, 16:22   Link #854
Fizix
Nitpicking

They are both cool, the one using illustrations from the novels is very creative.
Old 2015-02-17, 22:30   Link #855
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpIDa View Post
I like this one too.
Not as a MAD, but as a Trailer MAD because in terms of effects it's still basic compared to other MADs, but it's flow & synchronisation are good.
(MADs can include Trailers too)

My favorite To Aru MAD is this one
Oh, you reminded me about this one. This was one of my favorites, but I don't know if it would still be my favorite.

The thing I liked about the MAD I showed you weren't the effects, it was just the presentation and the emotions derived from Sisters arc nostalgia.

I can't wait... for more stuff to be animated... so we can get better MAD's and AMV's...

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 01:24   Link #856
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
They are both cool, the one using illustrations from the novels is very creative.
That's what I like about (japanese) MADs Actually that is also why they are a separate category, AMVs don't use Manga/LN/VN illustrations, they use only anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Oh, you reminded me about this one. This was one of my favorites, but I don't know if it would still be my favorite.

The thing I liked about the MAD I showed you weren't the effects, it was just the presentation and the emotions derived from Sisters arc nostalgia.

I can't wait... for more stuff to be animated... so we can get better MAD's and AMV's...
I see. It's true the first one has a lot of emotions.
But if talking about emotions, I think this one is the one with the biggest amount of emotions (one of my favorites too)

YouTube

I can't wait either xD

Last edited by Hiromin; 2015-02-18 at 01:46.
Hiromin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-18, 09:12   Link #857
Apoptosis
Am I useful yet, guys?

The one that dniv posted up there is the most emotional IMO
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-22, 02:57   Link #858
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

These are the two To Aru AMVs that I found original enough and trying new things:

This one for its original story

YouTube

And this one for how the combination between effects & scenes' selection gave an entertaining & hilarious video

YouTube
Old 2015-02-22, 06:40   Link #859
Fizix
Nitpicking

The first one was clever, the end was kinda predictable, but still it takes some skill to put together a unique story such as that I n a way that is believable if you hadn't already seen the show.

It made me wince with the wrist cutting bit.

The second... The bit at the beginning with Kuroko smashing her head against the table. I just so happen to do that every time that girls face shows up. 😫otherwise, yeah I can see the funny, but railgun didn't appeal to my sense of humour at all.

The transitions and approaches for both videos are done very well.

I saw one a while back that was like an advert for a comedy show with Touma and the railgun girls which looked like it could be a real trailer. It had a "what the heck is this?" Vibe going for it. 😕

It had such good production values, I can find myself asking; so much talent and this is how they choose to apply it? 😄
Old 2015-02-22, 07:25   Link #860
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:

I saw one a while back that was like an advert for a comedy show with Touma and the railgun girls which looked like it could be a real trailer. It had a "what the heck is this?" Vibe going for it. 😕

It had such good production values, I can find myself asking; so much talent and this is how they choose to apply it? 😄
I haven't seen this particular AMV, but I now what you mean, I've seen some AMV like that myself