Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2004-09-21, 09:33   Link #81
Yoska
フランキー

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaPoint
OK, I started reading Bleach around Christmas last year, got through 2 volumes and stopped. Does it get past the cliche "This child has powers/whoa, his powers are enormous; more then was imagined/he still pulls out more power/wow, another monster of the week" syndrome? I got fed up with that DBZ-style crap and stopped reading it. I see it has a pretty big following, and with the advent of it's anime debut close at hand I'm considering it a second chance. Does it indeed get better, or does it stay cliche-filled, and most people just don't care because it's too "cool?" (Like Black Cat {Cowboy Bebop anyone?})
First 3 volumes are best. Current arc is pretty much like DB. Be warned the series have lots of training and power ups but there is a hint of romance in it. I think you should least read the volume 3. The battle with Grand Fisher is emotional.

Why is like that that everything always end up being compared to Naruto.

And by the way about Black Cat. I have read what TW got to offer I don't like it at all.
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 14:29   Link #82
MangaPoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoska
First 3 volumes are best. Current arc is pretty much like DB. Be warned the series have lots of training and power ups but there is a hint of romance in it. I think you should least read the volume 3. The battle with Grand Fisher is emotional.

Why is like that that everything always end up being compared to Naruto.

And by the way about Black Cat. I have read what TW got to offer I don't like it at all.

Yeah, Black Cat was awful. To me it was just a blatant ripoff of Cowboy Bebop. The characters and story and everything. I've started up Bleach again, am through 12 chapters in one sitting. It's actually catching my interest more this time around, so I'll continue with it for awhile. Is Viz's translation for Bleach any good? I may be compelled to buy this sometime.
MangaPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 14:31   Link #83
MangaPoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxSkillz
the characters are what make bleach so damn amazing if you hate DBZ type shit you better stop watching anime cuz almost all shounen anime are like this, the main character in this story always pulls out more power when he's about to die and wins so if you don't like it i suggest you don't read it i give bleach 50 more chapters for me to decide if it's better then naruto it's damn close
Heh, I know, a lot of titles are like that, but some are better then others. The training scenes in DBZ were god-awful. The ones in HxH were interesting. Naruto's are OK, but not the greatest. They're good in the sense that Naruto's character grows, but they can get tedious if there are too many.
MangaPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 14:42   Link #84
~ninjacowboy~
wheres the middle finger?

Send a message via AIM to ~ninjacowboy~ Send a message via MSN to ~ninjacowboy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ninjacowboy~
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxSkillz
the characters are what make bleach so damn amazing if you hate DBZ type shit you better stop watching anime cuz almost all shounen anime are like this, the main character in this story always pulls out more power when he's about to die and wins so if you don't like it i suggest you don't read it i give bleach 50 more chapters for me to decide if it's better then naruto it's damn close
EAHHA? how far are you!?
read up to chappter 133.
youl see the diffrence by a huge margin :O
and you have to look for the little things....like in the chars. faces and stuff. :O
it's really in depth.
i whould like all of you guys/and girls , to at least read the latest chapter before saying that it's uber DBZ land -.-
and have a nice day
~ninjacowboy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 15:05   Link #85
DeluxSkillz

i exagerated and i've read up to 133 i was just saying if you don't like DBZ tpe elements then don't read Bleach because it's sitll a Shounen manga and all shounen manga have certain things in common it's unavoidable
DeluxSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 16:27   Link #86
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Well... It is certainly a shounen manga and it doesn't break the mold, but I feel that the later volumes totally blow the earlier ones out of the water. At first, it's just the "let's kill ghosts, one at a time..." but a huge plot twist occurs that forces Ichigo (and the storyline as a whole) to make an incredibly dramatic change. To make matters cooler, one can feel a tremulous new atmosphere and a dark political backstory brewing once Ichigo and Co. move on to a new location (not trying to give away anything!!! ) I, for one, almost dropped it, but I kept reading and haven't felt the slightest regret.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 16:39   Link #87
IMSabbel

The one thing that REALLY pissed me off as dragonball-like was that recent relevation that
Spoiler:
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 19:10   Link #88
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSabbel
The one thing that REALLY pissed me off as dragonball-like was that recent relevation that
Spoiler:
yes, it is cheesy.
hey, but its shonen manga, and kids like those stuff.
if you want something deep and "grown-up"
try another manga. Theres plenty more than this.
If you want to try a manga like you never seen before, try GantZ. (but its
very disturbing) YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

in naruto at least it seems like there are level differences, like Naruto cant beat jiraiya.
but bleach, there is no level dif. cuz now it seems like ichigo could beat anyone.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 19:52   Link #89
IMSabbel

Haha. Ganz is a class of its own. It has even less sense of justice and "hero survival factor" than battle royale.... I like it
I still like bleach, but i#m a little dissapointed because it could have been REALLY cool (cool chars, cool setting (shinigami, thats more cool than pirates, starship pilots, ninjas and mecha-pilots combined ), cool fighting), but they decided to follow the good old principles of shounen... Like those damn power levels. Thats to fucking bad if his sword were "analog", in the sense descriped in volume 1 "the stronger the shinigamie, the bigger the form of the sword". no, we get boost level 1 and 2, complete with power multiplication factor. At least we dont have numerical powerlevels, because if i see ONE other char that has 1000 times to powerlevel needed to punch a planet into 2 parts, im gonna firebomb some mangakas....
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 20:23   Link #90
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSabbel
Spoiler:
Well it isn't really 'dragonball' like as the latter part of dragonball or DBZ like and even then that was only in the 2nd to last saga. There are so many people here who don't even watch it and judge DB/DBZ on what they hear and 'false' things they hear.

I just read chapter 133 of bleach. I didn't mind the 'ban release' thing, a lot cooler than taking off your eye patch... but about that wasn't Kenpachi considered the strongest captain? Then how come Kukichi's brother is so feared and would he be only the strongest taking out everybody's ban kai? His fight with Ichigo was great.

Anyways Bleach is great.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 06:53   Link #91
Yoska
フランキー

Kenbachi is the strongest captain he just doesn't fully co-operate with he's sword unlike all other captains and some vice-captains do.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-07, 02:33   Link #92
elihua

Question Someone convince me to read it again or I'll go insane... Er... But be honest.

Some questions for anyone who wants to plug this series. I read the first volume a while ago and while it seemed to have a lot of nice things about it (particularly Ruika. A cool, non-annoying female character. It's so nice to see!), I just kept losing interest, I think cause the hollows just weren't very interesting to me and I don't recall much plot having started up yet, either. I guess I kinda just filed it away under the 'another one of those series everyone loves but I don't' category. The thing is, I know it's got to have more to it later, with how long it is, right? Right?! I just didn't want to read more since I knew I'd just get bored again and get angry at myself for reading it since I already knew I didn't like the first volume. Still, I love good shonen series, and hearing everyone excited about the anime makes me want to give it another try. I must have picked up and put down the second volume nearly ten times when I was at the book store, but kept reminding myself I was just going to get frustrated with it.

...So how long does it take for things to start moving? Any idea on what chapter around maybe? And what kind of plot do we get once it starts up? (some small spoilers are ok if nessisary to give a good picture...) Do the bad guys get more interesting? The hollows at that point were just kind of... meh. ....and while I'm at it, what kind of character development does it have usually? I didn't really have any problems with how it was... Just curious. From the first volume I kinda got the impression it was of the type that just had the characters go through some sort of delima, past their fears, make the right choice, another character gets to smile and whisper something like "he's changed off in the corner, till later episodes where while they might mention the event, they don't actually act any different. Plus some just generally trying to make the characters nice and likable. Or is it the type where they do change? Or maybe where they don't but we do see deeper into their personalities as it goes on? Or the kind where lots of the characters have some horribly tragic past that is revealed to us at some point to show why they take care of all the orphaned children, want to become the best swordsman in the land, want to bring death and destruction to all, etc.? (hate that kind with a passion, but maybe it's best to know if it's coming...)

I'm sure I can find more about the plot by looking at the posts in this thread, which I tried a little, but from doing this with other series I can affirm that this is the perfect way to run into mounds of spoilers. Plus people like to talk about series they like, right?

This is why I never post. I go on for five pages for a simple few questions. I should just throw away my password and take away the temptation. Maybe someone should answer me just for the sake of shutting me up. Thanks.
elihua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-07, 04:49   Link #93
Yoska
フランキー

There really haven't been hallows since the sixth volume. But after that the whole Dragon Ball power up stuff started. I miss the hallows. A plot is a hard concept. It's up to you what you think a good plot is. Just like in Naruto, in Bleach there is a lot of predictable character growth but hardly any story. If you are looking for more story based shounen as like One Piece, Bleach isn't for you. Bleach starts slowly but I recommend to read at least the third volume.

Edit: Oh yeah, about bad guys. From the seventh volume on the story changes dramatically and bad guys starts be other shinigamis ( / Soul Reapers ). Those guy are pretty interesting, I just love Kenbachi Zaraki.

Last edited by Yoska; 2004-10-07 at 05:13.
Old 2004-10-08, 21:46   Link #94
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

How many chapters of bleach are out? I've only got up to 131 =[
Old 2004-10-08, 22:52   Link #95
sarcasteak
WAHA~

It's up to 152 as of now. I read the Chinese scanslations, though, so I don't know about how far the English groups are.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-09, 10:23   Link #96
Hideki Keiji

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
It's up to 152 as of now. I read the Chinese scanslations, though, so I don't know about how far the English groups are.
Up to chapter 135 right now, wish they'd hurry up.
Hideki Keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-09, 18:28   Link #97
Crimsonmon

Send a message via AIM to Crimsonmon Send a message via MSN to Crimsonmon
136 was released earlier.
Crimsonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 11:15   Link #98
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

took me two nights to catch up from chapter 1 to 136!! my eyes are bulging! so tired...

ch. 116
Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-10, 12:15   Link #99
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
wow, ichigo looks different in 152, he thinks hes soooo cool -__-
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 16:36   Link #100
TRUETBOY

does any1 knw how far they have released the manga upto in japan?
TRUETBOY is offline   Reply With Quote