AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-05-06, 13:33   Link #1
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Router as Simultaneous Switch and Access Point?

I'm trying to supply computers on different floors with both LAN and wireless access on the same network. The main router is on one floor, and what amounts to a LAN passthrough and an access point must be on another floor. In order to reduce costs, I am curious if there are routers (i.e. in addition to the main router) that can be used as an access point and a network switch (for LAN passthrough) at the same time. Marketing descriptions on a bunch of devices are unclear, as they claim to be able to do both things, but do not explicitly state that they can both be done simultaneously.
Old 2015-05-06, 23:31   Link #2
larethian

One way I would use to get clearer info is to look up the manuals of the devices which should be available on the manufacturer website or to contact the manufacturer directly. Also, in your network map, how are you going to 'link' your primary router to the secondary access point, wirelessly or wired? I would presume that access point cum switch devices should be available in the market since they make sense, but really not too sure since I never explored such a setup before.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 09:00   Link #3
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
You can just get any normal wireless router, configure it and then disable DHCP which would turn it into a wireless AP with a three port switch (one LAN port would be needed to connect the two routers together).

I've actually done this with an old netgear router so I could keep my nintendo DS connected without having to mess around with the security settings on the new ISP supplied router and it worked pretty well.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-09, 01:15   Link #4
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
You can just get any normal wireless router, configure it and then disable DHCP which would turn it into a wireless AP with a three port switch (one LAN port would be needed to connect the two routers together).

I've actually done this with an old netgear router so I could keep my nintendo DS connected without having to mess around with the security settings on the new ISP supplied router and it worked pretty well.
Good, just wanted to confirm that I could use any router for this. I think I have an old Asus router lying around here somewhere...

Tags
access point, lan, network switch, router, simultaneous