AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-06-28, 01:43   Link #1
Starway

iPad keeps crashing

This is the first time I've used the support forum so I hope I made the thread in the right place but when ever I try to use the spoiler button or the insert image button my iPad freezes then kick me off the internet it used to work fine but it suddenly stop working doesn't anyone else have this problem or knows how to fix it.
Starway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-28, 03:41   Link #2
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

More information is required.

Have you tried using an alternate browser, or does this behavior exhibit on every browser? Are you running the latest stable version (just in case you're an iOS developer) of iOS on your device? Do you have any other iOS devices running the same version that experiences this issue?
Old 2015-06-28, 05:17   Link #3
Starway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
More information is required.

Have you tried using an alternate browser, or does this behavior exhibit on every browser? Are you running the latest stable version (just in case you're an iOS developer) of iOS on your device? Do you have any other iOS devices running the same version that experiences this issue?
I tried useing a different browser but instead of crashing it locks up with me not being able to use the keyboard and I have the latest stable iOS version also no don't have any other devices it geting really hard to use this forum without a spoiler button or anything else

PS the problem started around the time that they reset everyone passwords.
Old 2015-06-29, 00:38   Link #4
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Try deleting the site data from Safari:

1. In the Settings app, go to the Safari section.

2. Select "Advanced."

3. Select "Show All Site Data."

4. Scroll down until you find the animesuki forums.

5. Press Edit (upper right corner)

6. Press the red button to the left of animesuki forums.

7. Delete data.

8. Press Done (upper right corner).

9. Restart Safari and see if this solves the issue. If the issue still persists, then you'll need to backup your data (using both iCloud and iTunes is best) before proceeding to the big stuff.
Old 2015-06-29, 02:12   Link #5
Starway

Didn't work guess I better start backing it up.
Old 2015-06-29, 05:54   Link #6
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Well, after you do, verify that the backups exist in both iCloud and iTunes. Then, go back to Settings -> Safari -> Erase and Cookies and Data. Restart Safari and try again. If that still doesn't work, then you'll need to reset the device back to factory settings, and we'll see if a blank slate does it for you (you can restore your data after verifying if this worked). More on that once you report back.
Old 2015-06-29, 22:15   Link #7
Starway

It didn't work I'm beginning to think my JavaScript is corrupted.
Old 2015-06-30, 11:06   Link #8
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Yeah, that kinda sucks because all browsers use the same engine as Safari. Well, since you've already backed up, try this:

Settings -> Reset -> Reset All Settings

This will wipe your wi-fi password if you're not using iCloud Keychain, so you may need to sign back into your network (just in case your network PW is some nightmarish default string).

If that still doesn't work, then you'll need to restore as new using iTunes on a computer:

1. Launch iTunes (DO NOT CONNECT iPAD YET).

2. (On PC) Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Devices -> check Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPad from syncing automatically -> OK (this will prevent iTunes from accidentally overwriting your backup with bad data).

(On Mac) Go to iTunes -> Preferences -> Devices -> check Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPad from syncing automatically -> OK (this will prevent iTunes from accidentally overwriting your backup with bad data).

3. Connect iPad to computer. Select iPad within iTunes.

4. Click Restore as New. Agree to the latest terms. Wait for the iPad to restore. Since iOS 8.4 just came out today, it may take a while to download.

**** MAKE SURE the your computer doesn't power down/hibernate/sleep if left unattended (on PC, this can be changed by searching Power Settings from the Start menu - or Windows + S on Windows 8/8.1

Please reply with your results.
Old 2015-07-01, 03:36   Link #9
Starway

Nope both didn't work I'm beginning to think the world hates me I think I'm about out of options now oh well thanks for all your help.
Old 2015-07-01, 10:56   Link #10
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
You haven't stated what iPad it is.

If it's the first generation iPad, then there's nothing that can actually be done since what you've got is an oversized forth gen iPod touch which in itself will struggle with certain sites and crash to the home screen since it only has 256MB RAM and browsing (along with certain apps) can hog a large amount of ram and cause it to crash back to the home screen.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 22:02   Link #11
Starway

Oops forgot its a iPad 2.
Old 2015-07-01, 23:41   Link #12
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post

If it's the first generation iPad, then there's nothing that can actually be done since it only has 256MB RAM and browsing (along with certain apps) can hog a large amount of ram and cause it to crash back to the home screen.
While that is true for some video sites and sites with ridiculously heavy content (i.e. TheVerge.com), it is all but impossible for animesuki alone to crash Safari (this place isn't Tumblr). I know, as I have done testing on this site with an iPad 1 and iPad 2 for this thread. I want, however, want to make clear that my tests were done with only 1 or 2 Safari tabs open. iPads really don't have the RAM for running more than half a dozen tabs with even medium-level content. Otherwise, animesuki really shouldn't have any problems on original iPad hardware, even if the site implement anti-DDOS protocols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starway

Nope both didn't work I'm beginning to think the world hates me
Well, there's technically one option left for an iPad 1. I forget if they disabled this as of iOS 7, but for iOS 6 and earlier (iPad 1 runs as high as iOS 5) you can perform a firmware level restore by entering Device Firmware Update (DFU) mode (yes, there is a difference):

1. Launch iTunes on computer.

2. Reconnect powered on iPad to computer.

3. Hold down Power and Home button on iPad for 8 seconds (use a clock).

4. While still holding down the Home button, release the Power button for another 8 seconds.

5. If you've done this correctly, the iPad screen should be on but only display black. Meanwhile, your computer should be busy installing some drivers, and then you will see a message about the device being in Recovery mode. If you don't see this message and/or the Apple logo appears on the iPad, wait until it reaches the Home Screen and try again.

6. Just to be extra sure that the restore file itself isn't messed up, delete the .ipsw restore file. It can be found here:

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates

Windows Vista & Windows 7: \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates

Mac OS: ~/Library/iTunes/iPad Software Updates

7. Once the file is deleted, then go back to iTunes and select to Restore iPad. This should prompt iTunes to download a fresh .ipsw file from the Apple servers.

Software-wise, this is about as much as can be done, but I'm pretty confident that this should work. I've never heard of html tags breaking a browser, and I did test your issue on relevant hardware, so this is clearly an isolated issue.

Last edited by Dante of the Inferno; 2015-07-01 at 23:45. Reason: Crash Clarification
Dante of the Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 01:45   Link #13
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Safari closing when you press one of the quick buttons for Spoilers, links or whatever, happens for me too. I did not have this issue before updating iOS to version 8.3, but it constantly does it now. I need to update to 8.4 to see if it fixes it, but I have to free up some space before I can do that. I also have issues with other sites that use third party ads embedded into their video content, I can't interact with the interface for the player it just brings up ads and pauses the video. This also only started with this version of iOS (well, could have been in prior ones but I hadn't updated iOS in a long time, so I skipped a couple versions). So the issue we both could be having may be related to an issue with iOS itself. I am using an iPad Air.
Old 2015-07-02, 01:59   Link #14
Starway

Didn't work again so i am beginnings to think this isn't on my side as Mr Hat and Clogs said it may be the iOS not us well atlest I isn't an isolated case now.

Ps iOS 8.4 didn't help.
Old 2015-07-02, 03:29   Link #15
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Safari closing when you press one of the quick buttons for Spoilers, links or whatever, happens for me too. I did not have this issue before updating iOS to version 8.3, but it constantly does it now. This also only started with this version of iOS (well, could have been in prior ones but I hadn't updated iOS in a long time, so I skipped a couple versions). So the issue we both could be having may be related to an issue with iOS itself. I am using an iPad Air.
Yeah, that information helps, at least in conjunction with the timing of the password resets. It still seems to be an isolated issue, though, as both my iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1 and my iPad 2 running iOS 8.3 and 8.4 have had no problem accessing images behind spoilers.

One other thing to consider: does this issue pop up for any other forum sites that use spoiler tags, etc? XDA is one site to try. It would at least narrow down if it's just affecting animesuki.
Old 2015-07-02, 03:47   Link #16
Mr Hat and Clogs

Quickly trying two other forums, one being a phpBB bassed board and another being a... ZetaBoards board. The first didn't have any issues at all, but the Zeta one had the same crash which using the 'image tags' button, all others including the 'spoiler tag' button worked fine. Also tried WoW's forums they worked fine as well.
Old 2015-07-02, 04:22   Link #17
IceHism

Learn to type bbcode
[Img][/img*] without the * puts in an image

[SPOILER="insert w/e"][/SPOILER*] or [SPOILER][/spoiler*] is spoiler

Since it seems like wiping the OS doesn't seem to do anything (?)
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 04:36   Link #18
Mr Hat and Clogs

I usually just type them anyway, since the buttons are annoying to press on an iPad screen. But figured I should mention the issue I have noticed.

Have the site mods considered a mobile version? or something like TappaTalk?
Old 2015-07-02, 04:49   Link #19
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Well, that's at least something, since you can maybe try to narrow down what about vBulletin and ZetaBoards sites is causing the issue (and for only some users). I'm not sure if it will survive the crash, but turn on Safari's Debug Console in Settings to see what exactly is going here.

If the mods don't move this thread over to THIS forum, then open a new thread and link it here.

MODS: Please move this thread to the Forum & Site Feedback forum.
Old 2015-07-02, 06:49   Link #20
Starway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Well, that's at least something, since you can maybe try to narrow down what about vBulletin and ZetaBoards sites is causing the issue (and for only some users). I'm not sure if it will survive the crash, but turn on Safari's Debug Console in Settings to see what exactly is going here.

If the mods don't move this thread over to THIS forum, then open a new thread and link it here.

MODS: Please move this thread to the Forum & Site Feedback forum.
They removed the debug console now it's called web inspector and I believe you need a Mac with safari to use.