AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2016-01-08, 17:17   Link #1
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Toshiba 6TB Canvio 7200rpm (external HDD) cooling issues

I just bought a Toshiba 6TB Canvio 7200rpm external HDD); not only it was the only alternative to Seagate's 8TB SMR HDD but i was the only 6TB external disk (WD only had up to 5TB)

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio.../dp/B00VBNR1L6
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ternal_hd.html

I started a massive transfer about 3 hours ago when the HDD was at 23ºC. But only 1h30m later it was already at 49ºC, and right now it has reaching 55ºC. Just now I disconnected the HDD, HD Tune has just sounded a temperature "alarm".

This website (http://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temperature.html) states that:
Less than 25°C: Too cold
25°C to 40°C: Ideal
41°C to 50°C: Acceptable
More than 50°C: Too hot (it could reduce its MTBF)

I'm getting worried... None of my previous external HDD have reached such temperatures (two are Toshiba and two are WD), even after hours of data transfer.

I'm using it horizontally (Toshiba states this HDD can operate either vertically oh horizontally), I even elevated it with a Rubik's cube to gain more ventilation room (about 2,5") between the desk and the underbody cooling inlets/outlets.

Should I get some sort of external fans? Are 7200rpm just too much for external casings without internal fan? Should I return it to the store and get the WD 5TB instead?... I know Toshiba's warranty is of 3 years, but the great problem with HDD failures is retrieving the data inside without voiding the warranty...

EDIT: I connected it back after 20 minutes, now the temperature is at 34ºC, but with the same rising speed.

EDIT 2: I got my fathers old Kalorik Type 5830 portable fan (http://www.ebay.es/itm/Kalorik-fan-i...-/221972863114) which still works perfectly and throws a nice flow of cold air, but that doesn't seem to affect the HDD rising temperatures very much...

Last edited by tugatosmk; 2016-01-08 at 21:18.
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-14, 14:05   Link #2
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Of course the fan won't reduce the drive's temperatures, because there's nothing to draw the heat away from the write heads. It's not like drives have copper pipes.

But you're right, this is a major problem, enough that I'd recommend exchanging the drive or outright returning it. There's a reason why Seagate's 8 TB archive drive is capped at the slower 5400 RPM with a Helium atmosphere: air friction. I think that maybe this Toshiba drive, with its larger capacity than the WD 5 TB drive, crammed in one more platter than they should have, and it's compromising the internal air flow.

In short, if you want an archive drive, you're better off saving up for the Seagate. If you want higher speed for editing, then get the WD drive. Either way, this Toshiba seems like a drive failure waiting to happen.
Old 2016-01-14, 14:22   Link #3
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Of course the fan won't reduce the drive's temperatures, because there's nothing to draw the heat away from the write heads. It's not like drives have copper pipes.

But you're right, this is a major problem, enough that I'd recommend exchanging the drive or outright returning it. There's a reason why Seagate's 8 TB archive drive is capped at the slower 5400 RPM with a Helium atmosphere: air friction. I think that maybe this Toshiba drive, with its larger capacity than the WD 5 TB drive, crammed in one more platter than they should have, and it's compromising the internal air flow.

In short, if you want an archive drive, you're better off saving up for the Seagate. If you want higher speed for editing, then get the WD drive. Either way, this Toshiba seems like a drive failure waiting to happen.
Eventually I managed to return the HDD to the retail store (like a WalMart but MUCH smaller) after explaining my problem in a detailed way. It wasn't easy, but they handle it quite professionally. I was lucky, nonetheless.

From what I've read, Toshiba basically just put their normal internal 6TB 7200rpm HDD inside an enclosure without any ventilation. I think it's even "just" a 5 platters HDD, not 6 like Seagate's 6TB one.

Anyway, I decided to get the WD 6TB Green internal HDD and an aluminum enclosure separately from a renowned store of the computer tech and repair, from where I've bought another products. Should've gone there in the first place. I'm still waiting for the HDD's delivery, it had to be shipped and it'll take 1-2 weeks.

This is the enclosure: https://www.pcdiga.com/2/53/1Life-hd...ck-1IFEHDEXTND

I hope the 5400rpm and the enclosure offer no heating problems.

Seagate's reliability has take a hit over the years I got suspicious of them, or else I'd buy the 8TB one. :P

Tags
6tb, canvio, cooling, issues, toshiba