AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-01-09, 17:54   Link #21
Kagayaki

SOTM has a nice intro post that sets out guidelines for submissions, and a voting post too. Having an entry thread and a voting thread for each round (in addition to a general contest organazation discussion thread) seems to be a good setup. Going through these line by line give might us an idea of the types of things that should be considered when planning something like this.

Spoiler for submissions:

Spoiler for voting ... is there a way to quote from a locked thread?:

I was thinking a length limit might be a good idea (akin to the SOTM 50K filesize limit). On the other hand, it may end up being somewhat self-enforcing (voters probably won't read a 20 chapter fanfic).

edit: Encouraging short entries would probably also attract more voters and make the contest less intimidating for potential entrants.
Old 2011-01-09, 18:04   Link #22
BoxQueen
Empty-headed

I love the sound of the idea ^^ I agree with Cello that the stories should be based on "Theme" since there isn't much discrimination between voters and writer as much. Though the question of mine is that people who participate are going to write their own original stories?
BoxQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 18:12   Link #23
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
SOTM has a nice intro post that sets out guidelines for submissions, and a voting post too. Having an entry thread and a voting thread for each round (in addition to a general contest organazation discussion thread) seems to be a good setup. Going through these line by line give might us an idea of the types of things that should be considered when planning something like this.

Spoiler for submissions:

Spoiler for voting ... is there a way to quote from a locked thread?:

I was thinking a length limit might be a good idea (akin to the SOTM 50K filesize limit). On the other hand, it may end up being somewhat self-enforcing (voters probably won't read a 20 chapter fanfic).

edit: Encouraging short entries would probably also attract more voters and make the contest less intimidating for potential entrants.
Wow, that is very detailed; thank you for posting that! Will give it a thorough read right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxQueen View Post
I love the sound of the idea ^^ I agree with Cello that the stories should be based on "Theme" since there isn't much discrimination between voters and writer as much. Though the question of mine is that people who participate are going to write their own original stories?
Yes, stories or any form of composition. The entry just has to be associated with the theme somehow. ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Depends on how you guys decide on things. If you are going to use a submission thread (ala SOTM) you'll need a mod to close the thread at a given time.
Ah, I see. I suppose we'll have to select some people to maintain the competitions...or something.
Old 2011-01-09, 18:44   Link #24
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Okay, so this is gonna be a fanfiction contest... question is, would an original story contest be... well, better? I admit, I love fanfiction, me being a proud author of several fics myself, but how would we accomodate for fictions written for fandoms that some of other authors have no knowledge of? Perhaps a judge might know and like one anime/fandom, but not know of another? That's my biggest concern right off the bat.
Old 2011-01-09, 18:52   Link #25
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Okay, so this is gonna be a fanfiction contest... question is, would an original story contest be... well, better? I admit, I love fanfiction, me being a proud author of several fics myself, but how would we accomodate for fictions written for fandoms that some of other authors have no knowledge of? Perhaps a judge might know and like one anime/fandom, but not know of another? That's my biggest concern right off the bat.
Actually, by "fanfiction" I was hoping the original story part would be automatically a part of it. ^.^

Also, we opted to leave out judges and anime in general. Instead, we'll let the readers vote, and we'll use themes instead of anime-specific topics. I suppose the word "fanfiction" would be a misnomer in this case. XD
Old 2011-01-09, 18:57   Link #26
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Well, in that case, then I fully support this. Though I'll still say, now this current thread's name is sorta misleading...
Old 2011-01-09, 19:01   Link #27
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Though I'll still say, now this current thread's name is sorta misleading...
Oh, the days I wish I had the power to change thread titles. XD

Also, I think having a few mods help run this would make things fair and organized. Of course, it's not a demand but more of a hopeful request. Just wondering if any mods were interested. :P
Old 2011-01-09, 20:12   Link #28
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
* Entries must be written in English.
* Entries must not be kept under the "Mature" level. This is a competition for all ages.
* Unlimited entries can be created, but only one can be submitted.
* Entries must associate in some way with the theme.
* All forms of composition are accepted. (Poems, short stories, etc.)
* All entries must be submitted within the time limit, which will be specified for each competition.
* Your entry must be an original creation. Plagiarism will result in instant disqualification.
That one is a bad idea. It should be a very precise as to what is or not allowed. I think it should also specify a minimum/maximum length, allowed/disallowed formatting, etc. ...so as to create equality between entires.

You can call your contest whatever you like however it's the limits that actually make the contest work that way! While it's hard to get it wrong (a contest is still a contest), it's not easy to get it just right. SotM contests for example tend to be very "who can find the better source" more so then creativity, even though Solace would have you believe it's some "show of skill" the discrepancy between quality of the source and quality of the effects is pretty large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I was thinking we'd have 3 or so official judges (that don't submit entries). We could have several sub-awards under the actual competition. (Most creative, judge's mentions, etc.)
Like this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
*punches internet*

I think it'd be better to follow the example of the other competitions, like the SotMs. Like the highest voted chooses the next theme, and so on. Since the guidelines are like a literature form the soTM, I don't see the problem with following that example.

I'm not good at this, sorry. i think we need a moderator to sort this stuff out. XD
Every sensible competition uses judges, because by doing so you get a answer of "why X is better then everything else" and so on (preferably from each one) - some state reasons, some just have each judge give a mark. All serious contests I know of use judges. Polling is only good when the public is the one measured, not when the public is suppose to measure something else. If I take a 10m long beam and ask 100 people how long it is (with out instruments) do you think I'll get 10m as a result of the poll? Probably not. This is not a extreme analogy, when it comes to polls people (sadly) generally go by gut instinct alone, one way or another.

Polling also works best when it's indirect. When you get questionnaire for example it doesn't ask you for the answer it asks you instead questions that together imply the answer, as well as trap questions to determine if you can actually give a serious answer at the moment in time.

Now I'm not saying you should go with one or the other. What I'm saying is, if you want a serious contest, you'll use judges, or a very sophisticated polling system. If you're going to use just a poll (or the SotM system) it's nothing more then just for fun. As with most things, neither is wrong, but different people will gather based on which one you choose, similarly people will put different amounts of effort in it based on that choice as well. Serious contests get more fierce competition, while more 4fun contests are less scary and thus more open (ie. more contestants).

ps. If you're going to do nominations/vote counting and so on, try to use ways that don't require you to do it manually.
Old 2011-01-09, 21:03   Link #29
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
That one is a bad idea. It should be a very precise as to what is or not allowed. I think it should also specify a minimum/maximum length, allowed/disallowed formatting, etc. ...so as to create equality between entires.
I agree. What about:
- All entries must be plain, unformatted text with no decoration (line breaks and single space allowed)
- If we're looking for a short story contest, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_story#Length, entries must be 2500-7500 words. (It could be called Short Story of the Month)

it might be hard to judge short stories and poetry in the same contest.

Quote:
Every sensible competition uses judges, because by doing so you get a answer of "why X is better then everything else" and so on (preferably from each one) - some state reasons, some just have each judge give a mark. All serious contests I know of use judges. Polling is only good when the public is the one measured, not when the public is suppose to measure something else. If I take a 10m long beam and ask 100 people how long it is (with out instruments) do you think I'll get 10m as a result of the poll? Probably not. This is not a extreme analogy, when it comes to polls people (sadly) generally go by gut instinct alone, one way or another.

Polling also works best when it's indirect. When you get questionnaire for example it doesn't ask you for the answer it asks you instead questions that together imply the answer, as well as trap questions to determine if you can actually give a serious answer at the moment in time.

Now I'm not saying you should go with one or the other. What I'm saying is, if you want a serious contest, you'll use judges, or a very sophisticated polling system. If you're going to use just a poll (or the SotM system) it's nothing more then just for fun. As with most things, neither is wrong, but different people will gather based on which one you choose, similarly people will put different amounts of effort in it based on that choice as well. Serious contests get more fierce competition, while more 4fun contests are less scary and thus more open (ie. more contestants).
You raise some good points here, but your assumption is that the purpose of the contest is to measure skill. The issue is that we're an anime forum. Why would we be trying to run a serious literary competition? People who want that should be looking at something like http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/t...contesthub.htm rather than AS. I mean, there are so many competitions out there that have legitimate judges and give cash prizes. I don't know why we would be trying to imitate them.

Rather than attempting to measure skill as objectively as possible, I would argue that the purpose of a contest like this is to encourage writers to produce as much interesting work as possible. We're not trying to find the "best" work, we're trying to find the work that the most thread viewers will enjoy reading.

The benefits to writers:
- They know other AS members will be reading their work. (The more viewers this has, the better. Also, voting encourages thread viewers to actually read all the stories.)
- They'll get feedback on their work. (Perhaps we need something to the effect of "all votes have at least 2 sentences of justification in order to be valid.)
- They'll find out what their peers enjoy by seeing the reactions to other people's work. (The more entrants, the better)

The benefits to readers:
- Reading fun stories by other AS members. (So whatever the most people enjoyed was the most effective at this, right?)
- Ideally, these stories would be somehow anime-related, so the contest would offer something you couldn't get by just going buying a book of short stories by a really great author. I don't have any idea how this would work though, with not everyone having watched every series and such.

So yes, this should be a "4fun" contest (AS is not the place for a serious contest). The more contestants and viewers this has, the less likely it is die or never get off the ground in the first place. Contestants and voters are what keep competitions like these alive.
Old 2011-01-09, 21:17   Link #30
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I agree. What about:
- All entries must be plain, unformatted text with no decoration (line breaks and single space allowed)
- If we're looking for a short story contest, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_story#Length, entries must be 2500-7500 words. (It could be called Short Story of the Month)

You raise some good points here, but your assumption is that the purpose of the contest is to measure skill. The issue is that we're an anime forum. Why would we be trying to run a serious literary competition? People who want that should be looking at something like http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/t...contesthub.htm rather than AS. I mean, there are so many competitions out there that have legitimate judges and give cash prizes. I don't know why we would be trying to imitate them.

Rather than attempting to measure skill as objectively as possible, I would argue that the purpose of a contest like this is to encourage writers to produce as much interesting work as possible. We're not trying to find the "best" work, we're trying to find the work that the most thread viewers will enjoy reading.

The benefits to writers:
- They know other AS members will be reading their work. (The more viewers this has, the better. Also, voting encourages thread viewers to actually read all the stories.)
- They'll get feedback on their work. (Perhaps we need something to the effect of "all votes have at least 2 sentences of justification in order to be valid.)
- They'll find out what their peers enjoy by seeing the reactions to other people's work. (The more entrants, the better)

The benefits to readers:
- Reading fun stories by other AS members. (So whatever the most people enjoyed was the most effective at this, right?)
- Ideally, these stories would be anime-related, so the contest would offer something you couldn't get by just going buying a book of short stories by a really great author. I don't have any idea how this would work though, with not everyone having watched every series and such.

Also, the more contestants and viewers this has, the less likely it is die or never get off the ground in the first place. Contestants and voters are what keep competitions like these alive.
I agree with most of this. I wasn't really hoping for a serious competition, just one to allow everyone to write and enjoy themselves.

I'm really hoping not to knock out poetry; it seems to be a strong part of many writers on here. Making 2 separate competitions would only clutter things up. I might suggest something like a hybrid; a major competition with multiple awards for different types of entries. I think this method would get more people involved as well, because they aren't overshadowed by somebody else every time and have a chance to win in another category.
Old 2011-01-09, 23:49   Link #31
Otsdarva
Cadenza

Make sure you get all the rules you want down, you know? I think we're going a steady pace.

To summarize some things up: All entries will be original, so there is no necessity for prior knowledge or a chosen fandom to be solely involved. The competition/Of the month itself will be myriad entries, that way it can be anything from original works, to excerpts, to poetry (And long as they fit the theme and don't go beyond the 18+ mark, everything should be fine).

I'm not good at this, so I'll just leave it up to the logicians. Me? I'm going to participate and just give words of advice right now.
Otsdarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 00:42   Link #32
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
SotM contests for example tend to be very "who can find the better source" more so then creativity, even though Solace would have you believe it's some "show of skill" the discrepancy between quality of the source and quality of the effects is pretty large.
I don't go out of my way to call entries a "show of skill", but I do promote the SOTM as a way of improving your skill through regular competition. It's the nature of the contest and how it allows any source, providing it fits the theme, that encourages people to find the best "base" they can work with. I don't control voting either, through any kind of criteria beyond "pick the ones you like".

The SOTM was never envisioned to be a fierce competition, but I never wanted it to be either. There's plenty of sites and forums for "serious" gfx designers...I just felt that it would be nice to have something for our forums that people could participate in regularly, whenever they felt like it.

Anyway, I have no issue if people want to retool the SOTM format/rules for their purposes. I'm also open for any questions about advice in running it.
Old 2011-01-10, 02:23   Link #33
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I'd be up for giving this a whizz to get it started. Not sure whether I'd be a regular competitor or not though
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 04:47   Link #34
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
You raise some good points here, but your assumption is that the purpose of the contest is to measure skill.
I made no such assumption. I said if you pick this you get this, if you pick that you get that. Good luck with your choice. Maybe I should have phrased it as: if you set the bar too low, over multiple iterations people will lower themselves to that standard when creating entries to the contest.

Also, we should have some form of prize. It doesn't have to be anything meaningful, something like official sig-slivers that can be used on the bottom/top or right/left of the signature showing you got 1st, or 2nd or 3rd in the contest would work fine.

[edit]

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of setting a common pattern to follow.
  • Special fonts not allowed
  • Colors not allowed
  • bold, underlined and italic text is not allowed
  • All text is to be aligned to the left, unless the submission is poetry, in which case it's left to the submitter to decide.
  • Please write properly. A comma has no space before it and a space after. Same with a period, semicolon, etc.
  • If you need to convey a certain emotion, instead of special fonts/colors write it like this:
    Quote:
    "So WHAT?" he shouted.
  • Dialog needs to always be in quotes (ie. "dialog goes here"). Normal dialog should be very clear on who is talking:
    Quote:
    "Blah blah blah" the fist in command said. For which the captain replied "Blah blah blah"
    Using bold text for the names is permitted when writing the dialog in a list format. Example:
    Quote:
    Captain"Ship to starboard Mr. Hanks!"
    Navigator"Aye captain." the navigator whispered.
    Code for reference:
    Code:
    [table]
    [tr][td][B]Captain[/B][/td][td]"Ship to starboard Mr. Hanks!"[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td][B]Navigator[/B][/td][td]"Aye captain." the navigator whispered.[/td][/tr]
    [/table]

Quote:
Agree.

Last edited by felix; 2011-01-10 at 05:21.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 14:18   Link #35
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Oho~? Now, this thread is a gold mine! I'd love to read some stories from fellow AniSuki members. Best idea I've heard in a while.
Old 2011-01-10, 19:53   Link #36
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Oho~? Now, this thread is a gold mine! I'd love to read some stories from fellow AniSuki members. Best idea I've heard in a while.
I agree with this idea as well. It would be nice to see the capacity of our story-writers and how creative they are.
Old 2011-01-10, 21:07   Link #37
Suomi
Kaiba

Perhaps we should have a separate category for poetry and short stories...? like you can submit a short story OR a poem?
Old 2011-01-10, 23:57   Link #38
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

I love the idea Just I was thinking on how the themes will be chosen (this is one of the problems). Clearly the winner can't chose some Anime as the month theme, because some fanfiction writers have never watched those shows. I think the winner would only have to chose certain genre as the month theme. Like this month theme it will be 'romance/humor'. I also think this is more challenging, because it's very difficult to bring certain emotions in the fic. This is alos bring more quality into the fic.
Old 2011-01-11, 09:22   Link #39
Otsdarva
Cadenza

I think if you chose a genre, it'd dry up eventually. So I think it should revolve around something in particular that is more free-form, a la ghost as a topic/theme. I don't see the problem with labeling your work as it's genre, though. Idunno, am I being too trivial?
Otsdarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 12:30   Link #40
BoxQueen
Empty-headed

@ MK: Genre is tends to be a little closed space for certain people. While people likes to write tradegy or something and other enjoys writing romance with drama/humour. Though it may challenge people, it does give leeway to people who usually write that genre. A theme is better because it does present an 'idea' that needs to be protrayed in the story. (IMO)

Also I'm very nitpicky about the 'humour' genre...

Last edited by BoxQueen; 2011-01-11 at 12:46.
BoxQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction