AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-22, 12:55   Link #61
Prince of Moles

Actually the 1st show (ep 1-2) is the 0th (?) or 1st episode of the manga that the author worked on. The editors at Jump decided that it would be better to start with the 2nd manga (or ep 3). In hindsight, I think the editors at Jump were correct on that one.

That's the reason why you see Kagura doing the Katoken samba in the manga later. It's a reference to this episode.

But that 1st TV episode was very funny. It's a parody of the characters from the legendary comedy group Drifters (Ikariya Chosuke, Kato Cha, Takagi Buu, Nakamoto Koji, Shimura Ken). Throughout the entire show there's constant references to Drifters' stunts. Random stuff like "Brush your teeth!"

As for Zura vs Tsura. It ought to be Zura. Katsura is the character's name, but katsura (pronounced differently) also means wig or hair piece. As per the note in the translation. But the slang for wig/hair piece is Zura.

This is gonna be a tough show to translate so I give mad props for Baka Neko to do this!

PS
Two things I noticed from episode 3, Koukou musume does not mean highschool girl. It means filial daughter. Like Koukou musuko, the filial son. Also Gintoki says of Otae, whether she was raised by Gorillas. This I think will be important since the long running gag is how Kondo is constantly referred to as the Gorilla man. Thus establishing a possible connection between the stalking Gorilla Kondo and Otae raised by a Gorilla.

Since this show has a lot of pop cultural references as well as historical language and references this is gonna be one tough show. Katoken samba for example is a parody of Kato Cha (who does have a character that looks like the character in the anime) and the Matsuken Samba which was a big hit in Japan last year. Matsuken Samba is a samba danced by an actor in an Edo period outfit who's most famous for playing the 8th Shogun, Yoshitsune.
Prince of Moles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 13:40   Link #62
domino
デレデレ

Whee, episode 3 was great. And as mentioned before, thanks to BakaNeko for translating, because this show must be really tough. Soooo many Japanese pop culture references and slang... but damn it's funny! Though Gintoki's voice still seems a bit off...

Looking forward to the next episode! KAGURA-CHAN~
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 13:48   Link #63
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep4:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 15:48   Link #64
a-chan
*ZZZzzzzzz*

I love this episode!! The introduction scene of Satose-san is hilarious!!! and Kagura-chan is the same as ever XDD

I long to see Zura and the shinsengumi!!

A bad point, we must wait for sub...ToT
a-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 09:57   Link #65
TEKO425

Thank you, Bakaneko, for being the only fansub group willing to sub Gintama. It'd be nice if your group could also provide xvid versions of Gintama fansubs. It would be more accessible to ppl who don't have enough PC power to play such files and more convenient for ppl who would like to watch xvid fansubs on their divx DVD players. Just a suggestion
TEKO425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 14:54   Link #66
a-chan
*ZZZzzzzzz*

Raw of episode 5 is out!
I don't understant japanese but I red the manga, so I understant a bit ^_-
It was really funny to see all the Zura introduction XD, good to see Gintoki's past and at the end of the episode, there's a bonus where Gintoki is a sensei (like in the manga)

Can't wait to see the subs!
a-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 15:37   Link #67
oJo

I literally loled when I watched episode 5.

Spoiler:
oJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 10:56   Link #68
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

After a long ass day, there I was, tired but unwilling and unable to sleep. My brain didn't even function at all ... words passed in IM like images of shit on my mind. I then decided to watch Gintama, as I've postponed watching it for quite some time.

It was refreshing. I had my laughs despite being really sleepy, and I can't wait for the next episode ... I didn't have to dig the cultural references to laugh heartily - it was just funny, with all the crazy allusions and references to Japanese culture.

I do hope this ends in about 26 episodes, but that is highly unlikely. This is just going to be perhaps my 'watch once and then delete' anime of the year. Other than the laughs, it doesn't really have much value, IMO.

(Pardon for this incoherent post - I'm too sleepy and just am posting this ... )
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 22:00   Link #69
miaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by oJo
I literally loled when I watched episode 5.

Spoiler:
are you refering to this one
Spoiler:
miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-16, 13:26   Link #70
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 7:
Old 2006-05-17, 15:51   Link #71
Shadowfax

Is the series still being subbed?
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 01:55   Link #72
Tsume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax
Is the series still being subbed?
Good question. Last I checked, BakaNeko hasn't even released ep 4 subbed yet. What's going on?
Tsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 05:58   Link #73
Prince of Moles

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaka
are you refering to this one
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Prince of Moles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 13:38   Link #74
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 8:
Old 2006-05-23, 16:25   Link #75
domino
デレデレ

Is BakaNeko's translator still on break?

I really want to see more of this show subbed, so I hope it's not forgotten. They added fun new gags that aren't in the manga... (like the prince of tennis joke)

I can't wait to see more of the Shinsengumi in action. Those guys are definately my favorite! And the theme song is too good... what's the release date on the full version, anyway?
Old 2006-05-25, 13:57   Link #76
striderm
Adusa #1

I love the voice actors, really brings the manga situations to life. I can't wait for the Taxi Driver and "One Pack" scenes.
striderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-04, 13:27   Link #77
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It seems Baka Neko has disappeared. Oh well, their releases were good anyway.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-05, 21:31   Link #78
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
That's unfortunate... I really hope someone picks this show up. It's one of my favorites (I'm a Shonen Jump addict...).

At least now that there's an anime there's a TON of new Gintama merchandise. *_* And a new issue of Weekly Jump had screenshots from an upcoming Gintama video game for the Nintendo DS. Woot ~
Old 2006-06-06, 11:22   Link #79
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep10:
Old 2006-06-07, 22:32   Link #80
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
*poof* And the cat came back...

They reappear with another episode!: [BakaNeko] Gintama Episode 4. Yay! Looking forward to yet another episode of this nutjob show.

/yay

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-06-07 at 23:17.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, shounen