AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sakurasou

Notices

Old 2012-10-29, 22:33   Link #541
novalysis

"I have feeling that there will be more girls...."

I take it that the opening arc has ended with this, and I can't wait to see what the Second Arc will involve.

Clearly, anyone who dislikes this episode should stay away from this genre altogether, because it's a very well done episodes by the yardsticks and themes of this genre.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 23:02   Link #542
Rhonos

Best episode yet so far! It's going to be hard for me to wait every week for a new episode to come out.
Rhonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 23:11   Link #543
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

An early climax episode. Now on we go. Excellent episode. Not unexpected, but very good. It's interesting that the "pet" aspect has been de-emphasized recently, and that we have two guys who feel they are far beneath the girls they are paired with. Enjoyable complexity.

Directed by Sakurabi Atsushi, who directed Tsukihime, Rescue Wings, Asatte no Houkou, and Heaven's Memo Pad...but who has been a top episode director for a long time now, directing multiple episodes of Love Hina, Utena, Toradora, and Index. He also did the storyboards for this ep.

There were four different names involved in animation direction, which might explain the way the colours and look became so clean and bright near the end. I loved that look, by the way. Very fitting for the optimism of the scene.

For anyone who reads Japanese and wants a reference, the main staff of most anime episodes are posted in Japanese Wikipedia shortly after airing. In this case here.

By the way, Wikipedia describes Sakurabi-sensei's episode direction as having these special features: "Makes much use of cuts on scenery, creates a refined artistic layout, and uses small gestures of the characters to convey emotion and a lyrical feeling." It goes on to say that he says in interviews that he thinks of anime as something good, and likes to create a pure atmosphere. I really liked his Asatte no Houkou, partly for having that kind of atmosphere.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-10-30 at 00:39.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 00:07   Link #544
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The entire episode I was rooted in my seat and by the end of it I was utterly speechless by how PERFECT everything had unfold, there is so many things I want to say but can't seem to form the words for it- No kidding, this was my immediate and honest impression at the end and I'm still slightly tensed up from all of it
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 00:32   Link #545
NutShell

damn great ep
lol nanohamasou imaging the entire ep in reverse make me laugh so hard
NutShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 00:48   Link #546
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

This ep and 3 was both great, and made me certain that I'll be keeping this series. The drama, and character development was very well done on top, of the music and animation of the series, JC staff has really gotten their A game for this show.

I really liked the way Shiina's manga played it's role, and Sorata and Jin's interactions.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 01:05   Link #547
eupseudes

MC has a long road ahead of him... plenty of plot material, I suppose ^_^
eupseudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 01:36   Link #548
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Amazing episode especially since Sorata has finally found a purpose in life. Despite the screwed up attitude he shown earlier toward Mashiro, I really like the pace of his maturity and his awkwardness at times with the other characters (Jin in particular), but it really makes him an identifiable and likeable character.

Mashiro's manga definitely was a treat to look at and it looked so detailed and neat. It's nice to see that the relationship between her and Sorata is definitely, no, will build up into something amazing. I'm really liking where this is going and I wonder what steps Sorata's will take to pursue his now realized dream.
Old 2012-10-30, 01:47   Link #549
Wezlao

"I have a feeling that there will be more girls..."
Spoiler for Isn't that a reference to:

Overall that episode was pretty AMAZING. I liked the way the Mashiron's manga played a role in the plot and realization, and I can't say it was very cliché either, despite the episode being quite predictable. I do think this concludes the first arc, as when you watch the final scenes, if you read Jin and Ryuunosuke's chat together,
Spoiler:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-30 at 17:03. Reason: Please edit rather than double-posting
Wezlao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 02:17   Link #550
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezlao View Post
Considering that she's with the group in the OP/ED and seems to have feelings for the MC that's no surprise there. Plus it'll add more drama considering the bond that Mashiro and Sorata are building.
Old 2012-10-30, 02:46   Link #551
Wezlao

Eh... Of more drama I'm sure of, but by now it's pretty clear cut what's going to happen. I know people have made comparisons to Toradora, with Aoyama and Minorin; but in Toradora our protaganist had a crush on Minorin, whereas in this anime, I haven't seen a single sign of 'more than friends' towards Aoyama.
Having said that, I don't think she's just a filler character for the anime, I'm hoping for some character development for her later on in the series.
Old 2012-10-30, 04:31   Link #552
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezlao View Post
She'll suffer till the end of the anime. She is a wonderful girl and has ponytail moe but I feel horrible for her.

Imagine if this show is from Aoyama's POV, how depressing would that be?
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 04:55   Link #553
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I'm certain we'll eventually get to Aoyama and Misaki, but atm I'm far too overwhelmed by Mashiro-moe to worry about anything else
Old 2012-10-30, 04:59   Link #554
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirno View Post
She'll suffer till the end of the anime. She is a wonderful girl and has ponytail moe but I feel horrible for her.

Imagine if this show is from Aoyama's POV, how depressing would that be?
It will be unique, I think, even if it's depressing.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 05:05   Link #555
garbage

great episode, liking the depth this show has shown from the funny thoughts Jin had during the Tanabata party "if you touch her,you wont see the milky way you'll be crossing the Styx" ahaha against a kid ahaha
from mashiro there : "I'll win it myself"
sorata = "too bright for me"

and the manga showing a reverse roles of the story with the Girl leaving and mashiro conveying her feelings thru that, as the guy in the story, and plus so many others hard to list all.

ah was so sad for Mashiro at one part, wish I could hug her...( hey no malice! )
and finally Sorata's realization at the end of what he really wants.
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 05:24   Link #556
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
This might seem a bit random but one of my favorite lines in the episode was the editor going "very good,that youthful sprint at the end,that's what I want to see",it has a sort of lampshading/self awareness that I like,especially since it comes from an editor.
Old 2012-10-30, 05:31   Link #557
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

My personal favorite is when Shiina asked Sorata to call her by her first name- you can see that he hasn't quite kicked his bad habit of making (futile) excuses
Old 2012-10-30, 05:52   Link #558
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

hmm... somehow I think the bond between Shiina and Sorata are going too deep..
I don't know how can anyone of them develop such feelings in just 4 episodes...
is it love at first sight?

well, although it's little fast, I love the latest episodes... especially the revelation about how Shiina and Sorata exchanging their role in Shiina's manga

let's see how Aoyama will settle in Sakurasou
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 06:34   Link #559
s2012k1993

It's enlightening to see a series that clarifies the difference between creating values and rejecting values. Sorata initially sets up his value system around rejecting Sakarusou and returning to dormitory life of normalcy. Because he is not as talented as the other five (not to forget the programmer), he addresses this weakness by not caring about the others and their work. This is especially apparent in the fourth episode, when Sorata realizes he really wanted Shiina to fail.

What does creating values look like? For Shiina, it is doing what she loves. She loves painting and despite the lack of value in manga in comparison with other art forms, she does what she likes. Her motivation to draw manga doesn't derive from a rejection of the hostile external world; Sorata wants to leave Sakurasou because he finds it hostile to him. Slowly, we see Sorata changing his value system from one of rejection to one of creation: Sorata decides to "tear himself to shreds" by becoming a game programmer, than let Sakarusou "tear him to shreds."

Visually, it looks like Sorata is maturing and finding a path for himself, but it's more than that. Sorata is accepting his weakness and not letting himself be defined with respect to something external. He chooses to define himself with what he really likes, and not what he rejects.
s2012k1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 07:31   Link #560
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
hmm... somehow I think the bond between Shiina and Sorata are going too deep..
I don't know how can anyone of them develop such feelings in just 4 episodes...
is it love at first sight?

well, although it's little fast, I love the latest episodes... especially the revelation about how Shiina and Sorata exchanging their role in Shiina's manga

let's see how Aoyama will settle in Sakurasou
I'm not sure if it can be classified as love already. Its probably going there for those 2 but for now I felt that its a deep connection but its not love yet.

The exchanging of roles in the magna also shows that Shiina can understand Sorata and the her in that manga can express her feelings more but she herself can express it but in a more emotionless way but I wish as the story goes. She will also become like what her character in the manga is. Being able to express more emotions than that deadpan feeling

I can see a love triangle for this series but that's it. It won't be a harem but it will be a an amazing love triangle and I'm sure Aoyama will make the relationship between Sorata and Shiina more colorful

Tags
romantic comedy, slice of life