AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you download free ad-supported anime instead of fansub?
Yes 91 62.76%
No, I will stick with fansubs 54 37.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-02-07, 02:40   Link #1
bigsocce

Would you download free ad-supported anime instead of fansub?

Edit (revised idea): You are voting on the poll for two options:

1) Fansubs in its current form
2) Prosubs with 24 minutes of anime and 4 minutes of ad

First 8 minutes = anime
Next 2 minutes = ad
Next 8 minutes = anime
Next 2 minutes= ad
Next 8 minutes = anime

Prosubs will have these benefits:

1) Fast release (the second after it airs in Japan)
2) Fast and easy download: Both direct download and bittorrent
3) It's legal and free so you don't have to feel guilty
4) Support the struggling anime industry (12 cent per episode)
5) Many potential fansubs will not be available for you to download because many fansubbers will stop because there is a legal and free alternative available.

Prosub's main disadvantage:

1) 4 minutes of ad

-----------------------------------------------------

Using Claymore as an example: ~200,000 downloads per episode from Eclipse alone. Let's assume 300,000 in total by including other sources (mininova, IRC, http sites etc...)

http://eclipse.no-sekai.de/projects/claymore

Quote:
2007-12-23: Claymore 14
h264 171 MiB download torrent 0 downloaders 9 seeds 22217 completed
XviD 168 MiB download torrent 16 downloaders 25 seeds 164826 completed
DVD 232 MiB download torrent 5 downloaders 9 seeds 3833 completed

2007-07-11: Claymore 15
h264 169 MiB download torrent 4 downloaders 8 seeds 28960 completed
XviD 168 MiB download torrent 14 downloaders 29 seeds 175862 completed
Assume the conservative estimate of 1.5 cent per viewer per ad.

Revenue: 300,000 viewers x 1.5 cent x 8 ads = $36,000 each episode

$36,000 per episode x 26 episodes = $936,000 for the whole series.

Assume that the cost associated with it (translation, bandwidth, website server etc) is $136,000, this leave $800,000 in pure profit.

Fansub: $0 profit for the anime studio
Prosub: $800,000 profit for the studio by prosubbing Claymore

Last edited by bigsocce; 2008-04-05 at 02:37.
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 02:49   Link #2
Ziv

How would you force the viewers to watch the commercials and not just skip through them?
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 02:52   Link #3
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Best way to do it wold be throgh prodct placement ie the recent James Bond movies. Then there's no choice bt to see it
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 02:59   Link #4
bigsocce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
How would you force the viewers to watch the commercials and not just skip through them?
That's a good question. There must be a software out there to make a file unskippable. I have downloaded some WMV files that can't be skipped.

Can an AVI or MKV or MP4 file be made to not skip ahead? If not, maybe they can make a new type of file and a player that won't skip. Also, TV network like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX have made their TV shows available for viewing online and you can't skip the ads there. Same concept here.

Anyway, you don't have to watch the ads. Like with TV, you can go get a snack or something.

5 minutes commercial out of 25 minutes programming isn't much relative to the normal stuff.

There are 18 minutes of commercial for 42 minutes of TV show (8 minutes commercial for 22 minutes TV shows). Basically, viewers in Japan has to watch ads in order to watch anime unless they have a TIVO LOL. Same concept here.
Old 2008-02-07, 03:17   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you have the file, it can be cracked - period. That's some of what DRM and Trusted Computing has been trying to do for years and it still fails (both technologically and consumer acceptance).

I'd be fine with targeted commercials (meaning commercials that actually applied to the viewer) inserted after the OP and during the eyecatch intermission.
Problem is, I try to watch the previews for other series on DVDs, for example? All I come away with is the feeling the people who make the previews have no fscking idea what they're talking about. I have no confidence that adverts in anime wouldn't be equally clueless.

Product placement within the episode is an insta-fail for anime. Why would I see a Pizza Hut in the background of a late-Edo period series? You'd also have to get the *producers* of anime interested in the idea of handling global distribution of anime themselves instead of licensing it out like they do now.

Frankly, I'm fine with BUYING the anime I like in DVD format after having seen the broadcast tv version (which is somewhat degraded in quality and has more bloopers) via fansub. People will not tend to pay $30x7disks=$210 for a mastered series if they haven't gotten to watch the tv version first.
Old 2008-02-07, 03:26   Link #6
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
we are already plagued by pizza hut commercial and product placement in the recent animes i d rather see some fake fast food named Mc dowald than some horrible product placement everywhere (worst example the stupid movie The Island).
the reason why we dont have a TV at home is because we cant stand commercials if anime, TV serie, movies i download(for unlicenced)/own(for the licenced) have unskippable commercial inclued i ll definately stop watching/buying any of those.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 03:51   Link #7
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
yeah, i don't even own a TV, i just watch everything on my PC. I've all but forgotten what it's like to have to find something to do during commercials.

I would much rather have to pay a few bucks per episode for a fansub 720p episode than i would have commercials in my subs.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 04:47   Link #8
Kamui4356
Aria Company

As long as they did a decent job, and didn't try any drm crap, I would think most people who download fansubs will support this to some extent. It's free anime, completely legal, just with some commercials you can ignore. Are a few commercials really that big of a deal that you'd turn something like this down? They could always offer an ad free premium service for say $1 an episode or a monthy subscription fee for the people who really can't stand the commercials.

Though I'm not sure if such a system would really turn a profit, even if there was 100% support from current fansub downloaders. Still, any little bit that helps I guess.

Quote:
The same way you force people not to change the channel or get up during the commercials on tv. You don't and hope they actually watch them.
Old 2008-02-07, 04:56   Link #9
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
As long as they did a decent job, and didn't try any drm crap, I would think most people who download fansubs will support this to some extent. It's free anime, completely legal, just with some commercials you can ignore. Are a few commercials really that big of a deal that you'd turn something like this down? They could always offer an ad free premium service for say $1 an episode or a monthy subscription fee for the people who really can't stand the commercials.

Though I'm not sure if such a system would really turn a profit, even if there was 100% support from current fansub downloaders. Still, any little bit that helps I guess.

The same way you force people not to change the channel or get up during the commercials on tv. You don't and hope they actually watch them.
People who watch TV don't have a fast forward button.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 05:39   Link #10
bayoab

While I would watch the otaku targeted commercials easily if they were included with normal fansubs, who is going to buy this ad space? There is no one market at all. You have demographics from 13-50. You have multiple countries around the world with their own price structures. There are very few places that could actually make money off this. Most of them would probably be retailers advertising special goods related to the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsocce View Post
Some software twitching to make it almost impossible to skip the ad.
Quote:
Some formats do have a noseek flag. However, there is always a player that ignores that flag out there. It is impossible to make people watch them unless they were streaming. Even then, they will just go get a snack for those 30 seconds or whatever.

Quote:
With the 5 cent premium, each episode would make around $0.25 per viewer. 6 mil fansubs = $1.5 mil in revenue each week. An episode that is downloaded 100,000 would generate $25,000 for the anime studio.
Assuming they get 100,000 downloads (which maybe 5 or so series get), then add in server costs, bandwidth costs, marketing, and other things and the net profit will be a fraction of that 25k.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 07:11   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One of the issues here is that you are using figures that are simply not realistic (IMHO).
Quote:
I read that 6 million fansubs were downloaded each week through bittorrent.
Just because someone quotes 6 million downloads doesn't mean you would be able to obtain these sort of figures with ad-supported downloads. And don't forget, that 6,000,000 figure was being used to indicate how damaging downloads are to DVD sales so it might be somewhat biased.
Quote:
The typical 30 seconds ad for a TV show with 10 million viewers is around $200,000. This equate to 2 cent per viewer.
I would be interested to see the source of these figures. I don't have any real feel for just how much advertisers pay for TV ads but I'm willing to accept these figures for major TV networks. But, and it's a big but, you cannot expect to get anywhere near this figure (of 2 cents per view) on a download view.

I would suggest a closer model would be to base adverting cost on that you can achieve on internet banner adverts. Don't forget that it's the person who pays that decides just how effective it might be. I'm convinced that the advertisers would view this as a total different scenario than TV adverts and would consider them closer that that of internet advertising.

So how much can you expect to charge for typical banner type adverts?
20 cents per 1,000 views
(the standard method for internet banners is to pay for so many 1,000 views. CpkV, Cost per k (thousand) Views)

Yes, that is all you can expect. So, instead of expecting 2 cents per viewer, you should expect something closer to 0.02 cents per view. This is 100 times lower than the figure you gave.
Quote:
With the 5 cent premium, each episode would make around $0.25 per viewer. 6 mil fansubs = $1.5 mil in revenue each week. An episode that is downloaded 100,000 would generate $25,000 for the anime studio.
So instead of generating $25,000, I would suggest it would be closer to $250.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Assuming they get 100,000 downloads (which maybe 5 or so series get), then add in server costs, bandwidth costs, marketing, and other things and the net profit will be a fraction of that 25k.
As bayoab mentions, only a few series get 100,000 download. Even if you can get income double that of the typical internet banner adverts I suggest, then you can hope at best to obtain $500 per episode that achieves 100,000 downloads.

Given that you need to pay for server costs, bandwidth costs, marketing, and other things such as the actual translation, encoding etc. I don't think you can run for a profit.
Quote:
While I would watch the otaku targeted commercials easily if they were included with normal fansubs, who is going to buy this ad space? There is no one market at all. You have demographics from 13-50. You have multiple countries around the world with their own price structures. There are very few places that could actually make money off this. Most of them would probably be retailers advertising special goods related to the show.
A very good point. Who would actually purchase this ad space. Don't forget that this 6,000,000 download figure is worldwide and there are few advertisers who have a global presence that could actually make use of this. I live in the U.K. and when I do watch U.S. T.V. there are few adverts I see that have any practical value to me (not that I take note of adverts but that's another matter).

The majority of fansub viewers are in their late teens, not much disposable income, so why would advertisers expect that their adverts would have much effect. I'm not saying that they have no effect but I'm just pointing out that expecting 2 cents per view is wildly optimistic and at best I would suggest a figure of 0.05 cents per view (and even this figure might be too high).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 07:32   Link #12
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

I would whole heartedly support a program like this, even when fansubs are available. MY first real concern is viruses. However a legal program most likely doesn't have viruses. second is this program would give me better access to some older series that i missed for which there are few seeders and torrenting would be a pain. Also i personally don't mind commercials.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 08:11   Link #13
EXEs
Hallelujah...

I think this notion is pretty good, seeing as it is a win-win situation. Fans get the episode quicker than usual, and companies make money off it. Definitely will make people happy, as some fansubbers are notoriously slow (cough*Conclave-Mendoi*cough). There is the potential problem however, of badly translated dialogue, for example an attempt to "localise" it. Fansub group loyalty is a matter to consider as well. But hey, I'm all in for it, if it comes out.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 08:56   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
The majority of fansub viewers are in their late teens, not much disposable income, so why would advertisers expect that their adverts would have much effect. I'm not saying that they have no effect but I'm just pointing out that expecting 2 cents per view is wildly optimistic and at best I would suggest a figure of 0.05 cents per view (and even this figure might be too high).
While I'm not endorsing the notion that this would be a profitable business, advertisers are very interested in reaching the groups that watch anime the most. Young men, in particular, have become very scarce in the network television audience. (See http://www.utpjournals.com/simile/issue22/mcrae1.html for a summary of these results. Much of the credit, or blame if you're an advertiser, for this development goes to gaming and the Internet.) Because young people are still building brand loyalties, they are an especially attractive target for advertisers.

Nor are teens without spending power, at least in the US and probably most advanced industrial countries. For instance, a study of US teens' finances at http://www.mindbranch.com/Teens-R567-647/ reports:

"The Teens Market in the U.S., a new Packaged Facts report, provides a comprehensive analysis of the consumer behavior of the 26 million 12- to 17-year-olds who comprise the teens market. With an aggregate income of $80 billion, teens represent an important consumer segment in their own right. Moreover, parents spend another $110 billion on teens in key consumer categories such as apparel, food, personal care items, and entertainment."

That works out to about $3,000 annually per teen, plus another $4,000+ in parental spending.

I can only see this model having even the proverbial snowball's chance of success if it enlists global advertisers like McDonalds, Coke, or Gillette. I do think they'd pay more than xris suggests given how hard this audience is to reach. Whether it would be enough to finance such a service is obviously an open question. However I doubt this approach would garner much industry support in any format other than streaming, and the notion of worldwide distribution will be hard to sell to industry decision-makers trained to think regionally and worried about protecting their much more lucrative local Japanese market.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-02-07 at 12:29.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 10:56   Link #15
bigsocce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
One of the issues here is that you are using figures that are simply not realistic (IMHO).

Just because someone quotes 6 million downloads doesn't mean you would be able to obtain these sort of figures with ad-supported downloads. And don't forget, that 6,000,000 figure was being used to indicate how damaging downloads are to DVD sales so it might be somewhat biased.

I would be interested to see the source of these figures. I don't have any real feel for just how much advertisers pay for TV ads but I'm willing to accept these figures for major TV networks. But, and it's a big but, you cannot expect to get anywhere near this figure (of 2 cents per view) on a download view.

I would suggest a closer model would be to base adverting cost on that you can achieve on internet banner adverts. Don't forget that it's the person who pays that decides just how effective it might be. I'm convinced that the advertisers would view this as a total different scenario than TV adverts and would consider them closer that that of internet advertising.

20 cents per 1,000 views
(the standard method for internet banners is to pay for so many 1,000 views. CpkV, Cost per k (thousand) Views)

Yes, that is all you can expect. So, instead of expecting 2 cents per viewer, you should expect something closer to 0.02 cents per view. This is 100 times lower than the figure you gave.

So instead of generating $25,000, I would suggest it would be closer to $250.

As bayoab mentions, only a few series get 100,000 download. Even if you can get income double that of the typical internet banner adverts I suggest, then you can hope at best to obtain $500 per episode that achieves 100,000 downloads.

Given that you need to pay for server costs, bandwidth costs, marketing, and other things such as the actual translation, encoding etc. I don't think you can run for a profit.

A very good point. Who would actually purchase this ad space. Don't forget that this 6,000,000 download figure is worldwide and there are few advertisers who have a global presence that could actually make use of this. I live in the U.K. and when I do watch U.S. T.V. there are few adverts I see that have any practical value to me (not that I take note of adverts but that's another matter).

This is 2006 number.

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=112064

Sundays 7:00PM
#1. ABC ($122,000 - AMERICA'S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS)
#2. CBS ($118,000 - 60 MINUTES)
#3. The CW ($82,000 - EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS)
#4. NBC ($75,000 - SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTALL PRE-SHOW)
#5. FOX ($42,000 - COMEDY ENCORE)

Sundays 7:30PM
#1. FOX ($160,000 - COMEDY ENCORE)
#2. ABC ($122,000 - AMERICA'S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS)
#3. CBS ($118,000 - 60 MINUTES)
#4. NBC ($75,000 - SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTALL PRE-SHOW)
#5. The CW ($59,000 - ALL OF US)

Sundays 8:00PM
#1. NBC ($342,000 - SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
#2. ABC/FOX ($293,000 - EXTREME MAKEOVER HOME EDITION / THE SIMPSONS)
#4. CBS ($136,000 - THE AMAZING RACE)
#5. The CW ($64,000 - GIRLFRIENDS)

Sunday 8:30PM
#2. ABC ($293,000 - EXTREME MAKEOVER HOME EDITION)
#3. FOX ($222,000 - AMERICAN DAD)
#4. CBS ($136,000 - THE AMAZING RACE)
#5. The CW ($51,000 - THE GAME)

Sundays 9:00PM
#1. ABC ($394,000 - DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES)
#2. NBC ($342,000 - SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
#3. FOX ($163,000 - FAMILY GUY)
#4. CBS ($138,000 - COLD CASE)
#5. The CW ($40,000 - AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL ENCORE)

Sundays 9:30PM
#2. NBC ($342,000 - SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL)
#3. FOX ($169,000 - THE WAR AT HOME)

Sundays 10:00PM
#2. ABC ($242,000 - BROTHERS AND SISTERS)
#3. CBS ($181,000 - WITHOUT A TRACE)

Mondays 8:00PM
#1. FOX ($193,000 - PRISON BREAK)
#2. NBC ($167,000 - DEAL OR NO DEAL)
#3. CBS ($157,000 - THE CLASS)
#4. ABC ($99,000 - WIFE SWAP)
#5. The CW ($72,000 - 7TH HEAVEN)

Mondays 8:30PM
#1. FOX ($193,000 - PRISON BREAK)
#2. CBS ($173,000 - HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER)
#3. NBC ($167,000 - DEAL OR NO DEAL)
#4. ABC ($99,000 - WIFE SWAP)
#5. The CW ($72,000 - 7TH HEAVEN)

Mondays 9:00PM
#1. CBS ($275,000 - TWO AND A HALF MEN)
#2. NBC ($171,000 - HEROES)
#3. ABC ($170,000 - THE BACHELOR)
#4. FOX ($140,000 - VANISHED)
#5. The CW ($56,000 - RUNAWAY)

Mondays 9:30PM
#1. CBS ($211,000 - THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE)
#2. NBC ($171,000 - HEROES)
#3. ABC ($170,000 - THE BACHELOR)
#4. FOX ($140,000 - VANISHED)

Mondays 10:00PM
#1. CBS ($259,000 - CSI MIAMI)
#2. NBC ($210,000 - STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP)
#3. ABC ($131,000 - WHAT ABOUT BRIAN)

Tuesdays 8:00PM
#1. ABC ($229,000 - DANCING WITH THE STARS)
#2. CBS ($137,000 - NCIS)
#3. NBC ($116,000 - FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS)
#4. FOX ($110,000 - STANDOFF)
#5. The CW ($93,000 - GILMORE GIRLS)

Tuesdays 9:00PM
#1. FOX ($284,000 - HOUSE)
#2. CBS ($159,000 - THE UNIT)
#3. NBC ($151,000 - LAW AND ORDER CI)
#4. ABC ($131,000 - KNIGHTS OF PROSPERITY)
#5. The CW ($52,000 - VERONICA MARS)

Tuesdays 9:30PM
#1. FOX ($284,000 - HOUSE)
#2. CBS ($159,000 - THE UNIT)
#3. NBC ($151,000 - LAW AND ORDER CI)
#4. ABC ($140,000 - HELP ME HELP YOU)
#5. The CW ($52,000 - VERONICA MARS)

Tuesdays 10:00PM
#1. NBC ($204,000 - LAW AND ORDER SVU)
#2. ABC ($140,000 - BOSTON LEGAL)
#3. CBS ($117,000 - SMITH)

Wednesdays 8:00PM
#1. ABC ($265,000 - DANCING WITH THE STARS)
#2. NBC ($176,000 - 30 ROCK)
#3. The CW ($135,000 - AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL)
#4. FOX ($131,000 - BONES)
#5. CBS ($98,000 - CBS)

Wednesdays 8:30PM
#1. ABC ($265,000 - DANCING WITH THE STARS)
#2. The CW ($135,000 - AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL)
#3. FOX ($131,000 - BONES)
#4. NBC ($120,000 - 20 GOOD YEARS)
#5. CBS ($98,000 - CBS)

Wednesdays 9:00PM
#1. ABC ($328,000 - LOST)
#2. CBS ($143,000 - CRIMINAL MINDS)
#3. NBC ($136,000 - THE BIGGEST LOSER)
#4. FOX ($113,000 - JUSTICE)
#5. The CW ($70,500 - ONE TREE HILL)

Wednesdays 10:00PM
#1. ABC ($224,000 - THE NINE)
#2. CBS ($182,000 - CSI NEW YORK)
#3. NBC ($180,000 - KIDNAPPED)

Thursdays 8:00PM
#1. CBS ($296,000 - SURVIVOR)
#2. NBC ($212,000 - MY NAME IS EARL)
#3. FOX ($127,000 - TIL DEATH)
#4. ABC ($93,000 - UGLY BETTY)
#5. The CW ($84,000 - SMALLVILLE)

Thursdays 8:30PM
#1. CBS ($296,000 - SURVIVOR)
#2. NBC ($219,000 - THE OFFICE)
#3. FOX ($127,000 - TIL DEATH)
#4. ABC ($93,000 - UGLY BETTY)
#5. The CW ($84,000 - SMALLVILLE)

Thursdays 9:00PM
#1. CBS ($347,000 - CSI)
#2. ABC ($344,000 - GREY'S ANATOMY)
#3. NBC ($141,000 - DEAL OR NO DEAL)
#4. FOX ($128,000 - THE OC)
#5. The CW ($66,000 - SUPERNATURAL)

Thursdays 10:00PM
#1. NBC ($282,000 - ER)
#2. CBS ($196,000 - CBS)
#3. ABC ($172,000 - ABC)

Fridays 8:00PM*
#1. CBS ($106,000 - GHOST WHISPERER)
#2. NBC ($80,000 - CROSSING JORDAN)
#3. FOX ($58,000 - NANNY 911)
#4. The CW ($25,000 - WWE)

*America's Funniest Home Videos from ABC not counted*

Fridays 9:00PM
#1. ABC ($114,000 - MEN IN TREES)
#2. CBS ($110,000 - CLOSE TO HOME)
#3. NBC ($99,000 - LAS VEGAS
#4. FOX ($50,000 - TRADING SPOUSES MEET YOUR NEW MOMMY)
#5. The CW ($25,000 - WWE)

Fridays 10:00PM
#1. CBS ($124,000 - NUMB3RS)
#2. ABC ($120,000 - 20/20)
#3. NBC ($119,000 - LAW AND ORDER)

Saturdays 8:00PM
#1. ABC ($135,000 - SATURDAY NIGHT COLLAGE FOOTBALL)
#2. CBS ($100,000 - CRIME ENCORES)
#3. FOX ($53,000 - COPS)
#4. NBC ($45,000 - DATELINE)

Saturdays 8:30PM
#2. CBS ($100,000 - CRIME ENCORES)
#3. FOX ($64,000 - COPS)
#4. NBC ($45,000 - DATELINE)

Saturdays 9:00PM
#2. CBS ($82,000 - CRIME ENCORES)
#3. FOX ($66,000 - AMERICA'S MOST WANTED)
#4. NBC ($50,000 - DRAMA ENCORES)

Saturdays 10:00PM
#2. CBS ($77,000 - 48 HOURS)
#3. NBC ($50,000 - DRAMA ENCORES)

Sundays at 8:00PM in January
#1. ABC/FOX ($293,000 - EXTREME MAKEOVER HOME EDITION / THE SIMPSONS)
#3. CBS ($136,000 - THE AMAZING RACE)
#4. NBC ($116,000 - AMERICA'S GOT TALENT)
#5. The CW ($64,000 - GIRLFRIENDS)

Sundays 8:30PM in January
#1. ABC ($293,000 - EXTREME MAKEOVER HOME EDITION)
#2. FOX ($222,000 - AMERICAN DAD)
#3. CBS ($136,000 - THE AMAZING RACE)
#4. NBC ($116,000 - AMERICA'S GOT TALENT)
#5. The CW ($51,000 - THE GAME)

Sundays at 9:00PM in January
#2. NBC ($168,000 - THE APPRENTICE)
#3. FOX ($163,000 - FAMILY GUY)

Sundays 9:30PM in January
#2. FOX ($169,000 - THE WAR AT HOME)
#3. NBC ($168,000 - THE APPRENTICE)

Sundays 10:00PM in January
#1. ABC ($242,000 - BROTHERS AND SISTERS)
#2. CBS ($181,000 - WITHOUT A TRACE)
#3. NBC ($125,000 - MEDIUM)

Mondays at 9:00PM in January
#1. FOX ($364,000 - 24)
#2. CBS ($275,000 - TWO AND A HALF MEN)
#3. NBC ($171,000 - HEROES)
#4. ABC ($170,000 - THE BACHELOR)

Mondays 9:30PM in January
#1. FOX ($364,000 - 24)
#2. CBS ($211,000 - THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE)
#3. NBC ($171,000 - HEROES)
#4. ABC ($170,000 - THE BACHELOR)

Tuesdays at 8:00PM in January
#1. FOX ($594,000 - AMERICAN IDOL)
#2. ABC ($229,000 - DANCING WITH THE STARS)
#3. CBS ($137,000 - NCIS)
#4. NBC ($116,000 - FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS)
#5. The CW ($93,000 - GILMORE GIRLS)

Wednesdays 9:00PM in January
#1. FOX ($620,000 - AMERICAN IDOL)
#2. ABC ($328,000 - LOST)
#3. CBS ($143,000 - CRIMINAL MINDS)
#4. NBC ($136,000 - THE BIGGEST LOSER)

Wednesdays 9:30PM in January
#1. ABC ($328,000 - LOST)
#2. FOX ($310,000 - THE LOOP)
#3. CBS ($143,000 - CRIMINAL MINDS)
#4. NBC ($136,000 - THE BIGGEST LOSER)

Thursdays 10:00PM in January
#1. NBC ($200,000 - ER)
#2. CBS ($196,000 - CBS)
#3. ABC ($172,000 - ABC)

Quote:
20 cents per 1,000 views

Yes, that is all you can expect. So, instead of expecting 2 cents per viewer, you should expect something closer to 0.02 cents per view. This is 100 times lower than the figure you gave..
There is a different between an ad on TV and a banner ad online. A 30 second TV ad = 2 cent per viewer while a banner online ad = 0.02 cent.

Quote:
Bandwidth cost per direct download = 1 cent for around 200 MB file
Bandwidth cost via bittorrent = free

Assume the revenue is $25,000, the net profit would be at least 80% of that.

They might need to hire some translators.

As for the ads, I am assuming things like movies trailers, music cd ad, anime DVD, movies DVD, retailers etc...would buy ad space. They would love to reach this desirable demographic for just 2.5 cent per viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Considering that it's a downloadable digital file, that 5 mins of commercial will take up unnecessary space.

Say if you want to save a 25 eps series, you would have 5 eps worth of commercial. That's over 2 hrs of commercial.

I wouldn't mind downloading it just to support the studio but I will find a way to rip the ads out of it. In all honesty by the time someone releases a pro-sub with ads, someone else will re-release the pro-sub w/o the ads.
It is up to the viewers to decide which file to download.

An illegal fansub episode (ad free) or a legal professional-sub episode (with 4-5 minutes of ad) that support the anime industry. I suggest they make the episode available for direct download (right click and save as) as well since older files are not seeded as well on Bittorrent.

Would fansubs continue? Probably. But many will stop knowing that there is a free and legal alternative out there.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2008-02-07 at 11:33. Reason: Do not triple post.
Old 2008-02-07, 11:26   Link #16
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
It's not a bad idea, and the major networks are actually making good money with their "promotional" online ad-supported episodes.

Their model has been, though, to deliver the episodes via streaming Flash video. This ensures that ads can't be skipped and that the video can't be easily pirated. They get by with shorter ads by using a single-sponsor.

It's working out really well for them, but for as long as they can they're going to use it as a way to prop up their primary business model instead of moving to utilizing this new model to its full extent.

Why protect the video with Flash or DRM, though, if the barrier to downloading is so small that NO ONE CARES TO PIRATE IT?! Who would pirate something when they only have to sit through a minute or two of ads before downloading? It's think this is partly to protect DVD sales (the worry will reduce once the SD/HD divide becomes more prominent), but mostly just out of general misunderstanding and paranoia--and as a "kill-switch" in case they decide to retreat from the online market.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 11:27   Link #17
Vagrant0

It really isn't a vaible option IMO. If you have direct downloads, you have all the issues that were already explained. If you have it streamed with localized advertisements, you have fewer people who would watch it (atleast as long as there is an alternative) and would still have to pay the hosting fees.

The fact of the matter is that ads don't work these days, people are simply overexposed to them. Now I understand people are thinking more along the lines of what is shown on TV, but as others have menioned, these could be skipped over or the viewer could just turn down the sound and open up another window while they're going on. And as far as anything online is concerned, there are very few ad groups which aren't using spyware or tracking cookies imbedded in their adverts. Nevermind how few people actually click ads. Which means that what we'd probably be left with would be to click through a dozen or so ads, jump through some hoops to make sure we saw them, only then to get access to anything.

Most people wouldn't want to deal with this, atleast not as long as there is any alternative (even paid ones). Which means that even if something like that was setup, there wouldn't be enough people going trough the process for "free" anime to pay for the costs of the system and whatever licensing fees.
Vagrant0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 11:28   Link #18
bigsocce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
I would whole heartedly support a program like this, even when fansubs are available. MY first real concern is viruses. However a legal program most likely doesn't have viruses. second is this program would give me better access to some older series that i missed for which there are few seeders and torrenting would be a pain. Also i personally don't mind commercials.
Exactly. And nobody is forcing you to watch the commercials. You can turn down the volume. Surf the net. Bathroom break. Get a snack while the commercial is on.

It could look something like this:

First 8 minutes = anime
Next 2 minutes = ad
Next 8 minutes = anime
Next 2 minutes= ad
Next 8 minutes = anime

Total: 28 minutes (4 minutes ad with 24 minutes anime)

There are some watchable commercials out there. Movie Trailers ad, Movie DVDs ad and even TV shows ads. Maybe ads for manga and anime DVD too.
Old 2008-02-07, 11:46   Link #19
relentlessflame

*Administrator

As has already been said, there's no such thing as a market of "global advertisers" who would buy into this. Movies, TV shows, even anime and manga releases -- they're all market-specific. An ad that would be appropriate and relevant for viewers in the U.S., would make no sense at all for people in Europe, Asia, South America, etc. The ads would need to be tailored to the local market so that it'd be useful to local advertisers.

The only way this could work would be if the ISPs themselves (or some other group) were the brokers/distributors of the content, sort of like how TV networks purchase syndicated shows hoping to make the cost up in viewership/advertising revenue. That way the ISPs could stream locally-significant or provider-specific ads (just as you may have noticed your cable/satellite company doing with TV ads). This would, again, probably mean streaming as opposed to downloads, because the ads need to stay relevant, so in the end it's essentially equivalent to "Internet-based Anime TV". If it is a download, it'd have to be heavily DRM-encrypted so that the ad content could be dynamically updated and tailored to the viewer. Otherwise, the provider would have to instead advertise its own products available for sale, and hope to make the money back through their own retail channels (which is a different model than what's been proposed, but is more akin to what ADV is currently doing).

At the end of the day, though, I think anime is too small of a niche market to be worth all this expense and setup cost. Anime is not, by any means, prime-time TV.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 11:51   Link #20
Trail

Ehm, are you kidding me? Unskippable WMV files and containers? Do you even realise what are you suggesting? Microsoft seems to have a lot of power to effect the thoughts of people that much...

As for me, no, I wouldn't. Would you like ads in an artistic painting? Or inside the CD of your favourite music band?

I'd rather pay that watch ads. Anytime, anywhere. Ads are evil.
Trail is offline   Reply With Quote