AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-13, 02:15   Link #1
Cal-Reflector

The Hurt Locker

Just came back from seeing it. Still limited release at the moment.

Very well made, very sobering movie. The small attention to details is a plus, as well as the cast and good acting. The movie came across to me as episodic. There is no developing plot but the day by day drama. There is no mystery for the audience to wonder over. I felt as if I could only watch and accept everything as it happened, which might have been the desired effect.

It also helped me understand what it's like in Iraq in a little more, particularly from a soldier's POV: When the people you're supposed to help/protect try to kill you and you try to kill them back but you can't make sure who is who. The enemy and the innocents blend into one. It's frustrating and tragic. In most previous wars soldiers at least knew who they were fighting. In Iraq that cannot be. It's harder to feel good about one's job and be nice and feel for the locals when the innocents/terrorists/insurgents all look the same. It's harder to feel like you're doing good and helping people when the people who smile at you may be trying to blow you up.

It's why I can believe it when some reports say that Iraq vets have surprisingly high rates of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I wonder what's worse? Being a WWI vet, to endure massive shelling and misery in muddy ratty trenches and charging across a no-man's land into machine guns, or being in Iraq?

This war sucks. Hurt Locker didn't change me into the sort of person that opposes all wars (for instance, I think most Americans and many people in the rest of the world don't feel bad that we bombed Yugoslavia over Kosovo), but this war really sucks, particularly for the soldiers who have to fight it.
Old 2009-07-13, 03:23   Link #2
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
This war sucks. Hurt Locker didn't change me into the sort of person that opposes all wars (for instance, I think most Americans and many people in the rest of the world don't feel bad that we bombed Yugoslavia over Kosovo), but this war really sucks, particularly for the soldiers who have to fight it.
Particularly for the soldiers who have to fight it? Or the civilians that have to endure it? I really cant see that its the soldiers who have it the worst, though, yeah, they don't have it good by any means either.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 10:26   Link #3
Cal-Reflector

You're absolutely right. War has always sucked the most for civilians who have to endure it, and this is true everywhere any time. Sudan, Europe in the Hundred Year's War, China during the Warring States. The movie is of course filmed from a US Soldier's perspective, which is why the takeaway message for the film for me concerned primarily their point of view.
Old 2009-07-14, 16:27   Link #4
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I really thought this movie was a comedy
Old 2009-07-16, 00:13   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

In a way I think you are right. The movie portrayed the comedy of this war very well. I've really enjoyed it. I've got someone who forced me to watch it. At the time I snorted a lot at the snobbishness of going to "selected theater" to watch a movie. Now I'm glad that I did. In the matter of fact manner this story was told really helped shape the identity of the movie. War doesn't need dramatics. Why would it? It is war after all.

I owe someone a dinner.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote