Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-22, 16:27   Link #441
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Phew... I gotta say that, although it was a very long and tiresome read and some very tense moments happened now and then, I'm pretty relieved that this was all a misunderstanding ( Not to call it a f*cking stupid mistake by a f*cking stupid company, of course ). After seeing this, I really felt that my world would start to crumble - Without fansubbing, there's no anime for this fellow here ( I do buy DVDs here and there, but they are very scarce ). And because I have already received one of those notices from Micro$oft in the past, I simply closed my Bittorrent client and let it enjoy a peaceful rest. I'm certainly not in the position of risking a lawsuit at the moment, so it was either do or die. Sad, I know.

Anyhow, I'm also using Comcast as my ISP. Personally, I think it is a fairly good service - except when the network is under load. Jesus, try uploading something under those conditions - or even playing a game for that matter. It's basically impossible. But apart from those, I've never had problems with them. But it's pretty surprising to read some of your posts and realize that they're shadier than they seem. Seems like I should be taking better care of myself from now on.

But one thing is certain: This episode served to show us a glimpse of the reality that is waiting for us not long in the future. Apart from the whole speculation - who, what, wheres - of this whole thing, I'm pretty sure that most of us had some pretty apocalyptical thoughts along the way. Luckly, this was just a faint. But in a few years, heavy anti-fansubbing enforcements will start to show up all around the world and we'll have to watch our backs with even more care. Although I'm certain there will be a loophole - there're always loopholes -, things will only get more and more difficult from that point on. I would certainly suggest having a plan B in case this happens. If that means moving to Mexico, so be it.

Nothing gets in between an Otaku and his anime. Nothing.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 16:34   Link #442
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Without fansubbing, I don't think any of my friends would be watching Anime. Many of them would be stuck with that 4kids crap that they saw when they used to watch Saturday morning cartoons.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 00:06   Link #443
Navitron

I got one of those DMCA requests I have a folder full of them they mean jack scwat don't be intimidated they wont do anything, I have Shugo Chara! seeding even as I'm typing this I have 30:1+ ratio and no stupid emails stopping me. I've gotten 2-3 of those a year since 04 and I seed 24/7 DON'T BE INTIMIDATED.

There just rattling a few sabers.
Navitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 13:02   Link #444
edmw

I think what AnimeSuki could at least do now is to do all Singaporeans a favour and set all its torrents to hard-ban all Singapore IPs from connecting to them. It is clear that Odex is specifically targeting this site's torrents and those users originating from Singapore, regardless of whether the anime is licensed or otherwise.
edmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 13:35   Link #445
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmw View Post
I think what AnimeSuki could at least do now is to do all Singaporeans a favour and set all its torrents to hard-ban all Singapore IPs from connecting to them. It is clear that Odex is specifically targeting this site's torrents and those users originating from Singapore, regardless of whether the anime is licensed or otherwise.
AS doesn't host any of the bt or seed any of it. It is just a collection of links to the bt.
Old 2007-11-23, 19:07   Link #446
Muramune99

my friends would all stop watching anime. Me, I buy it mostly, not download...

I just wish more people would follow my motto, "If it's good enough to watch for more than half the series, just buy it...if possible"

My friends' motto,I quote. "Buy anime? Who does that anymore?"
Muramune99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 19:13   Link #447
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muramune99 View Post

I just wish more people would follow my motto, "If it's good enough to watch for more than half the series, just buy it...if possible"

Just a personal opinion but some shows have good beginning but really bad endings. Ex. Samurai Deeper Kyo. Not even worth the space to save on a HD much less buy.

But yet, i do agree with u in general to buy if you can. People don't have to buy every single release out there but if they would at least buy some anime dvds now and again would help the industry.
Old 2007-11-23, 19:17   Link #448
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Haha, I know many pirates myself. They'll download everything just because they can, I doubt anything like a DMCA notice will scare them in the least. They'll say "Well then I'll just have to be more careful about it". If there is something they want, they will simply take it.
Old 2007-11-23, 20:11   Link #449
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

A user in the D.Gray-man thread posted the following message, which likely deals on the subject that this thread is discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69
today i got a latter from my internet internet providers to stop downloading D gray Man XD
i live in the U.S , did anyone got something similar?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 22:14   Link #450
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Isn't D.Gray-man licensed by an American company?
Old 2007-11-24, 05:42   Link #451
Ikisaki

Quote:

That basically is my philosophy in terms of downloading media. I'd grab a few songs/episodes, and if i liked the few that i've listened to i'll go buy that cd/movie. If its a good artist, I have no qualms with paying them, cause i want them to continue pumping out great music. If I happen to own a few of their albums, i'll even be willing to take the risk of buying the album without even listening to a song (sometimes.) It depends.
Ikisaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 05:49   Link #452
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

While this message comes a bit late for these quoted messages, I figured I'd pipe in on a couple of points I cherry-picked below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye... but the security community has direct evidence that Comcast is executing "man in the middle" RST attacks on torrents (see Slashdot and other technical sites).
Here are some other recommendations: You might look to somewhere like NANOG for network operations, BUGTRAQ or Full-Disclosure for application-related information, or hit Seclists for a more complete listing of security-related mailing lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
1) Well once again this is primarily about Comcast, which is a US company. So in the US copyright infringement of this nature is not a criminal charge. I feel sorry for countries where it is.
Ah, but the major entertainment industry cartels (e.g. the RIAA and MPAA) and software industry PACs (e.g. the BSA) here in the States want to change that so copyright infringement becomes a criminal offense rather than a civil one as it is now.

Again, another good site for information on where tech and legal worlds intersect is Groklaw. Don't let the extensive coverage of the whole SCO saga put you off. Groklaw is all about EVERYTHING where tech and law meet, not just about Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) in general, not just about Linux in particular. And as new topics of significance come up, they will cover it, e.g. the whole Sony rootkit fiasco (see "DRM" on the site).

Hope these resources are of some help. The more of us who actually get involved in making sense of this situation and perhaps actually DO something about it (even if it's just to explain to others how things work), the better we can arm ourselves for the future.

--Ian.

Last edited by IRJustman; 2007-11-24 at 07:06. Reason: Clarification about which cartels I was talking about, plus the addition of the BSA
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 07:24   Link #453
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoder View Post
Isn't D.Gray-man licensed by an American company?
Not according to it's listing in the ANN encyclopedia and to end this it seems that ANN has confirmed that the notices were sent out by mistake
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 10:06   Link #454
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Oh I see, I checked under the listings. But, I remember someone talking about getting the series from ADV's website? He must have been a weird person then.
Old 2007-11-26, 02:53   Link #455
Leaderz0rz
That one guy

it was listed as licensed for a few days then taken off. I really wouldn't believe anyone talking about DMCA notices unless they showed some proof.
Leaderz0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 11:13   Link #456
1000Demons
Dean Learner's right hand

Well I've got Comcast, I downloaded the eight that are up. If they send me that kind of bs I'll switch providers.
In defense of the everyday anime watcher I'm gonna say this. Regardless of what the japanese think and know anime is still not as abundant here in america as it is over there. These fansubs are nothing more then a great big PR vehicle. Its free press. I download a few episodes and pass the word on to a friend if its good and so on. If a show is picked up here then we do what we always do(at least me and my other friends), we go buy our own copies.
1000Demons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 11:40   Link #457
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I still say that all is not in the clear. I mean we all are technically pirates. One day they will get the law to do something about it.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 11:51   Link #458
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I still say that all is not in the clear. I mean we all are technically pirates. One day they will get the law to do something about it.
Or they could realize that the way you maintain your business in the entertainment industry is not fighting with your customers. I mean, lots of people in the music business are realizing and publicly recognizing that the RIAA is an anachronism (the last ones to do that were the UK music producers) which represents an old way of doing business which won't work in today's world. Times are changing.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 12:05   Link #459
TigerII
Pilot in Training

They are changing, but what actions against us will be taken before they finally realize that they need to change. I just have a feeling that before it gets better, it will get worse.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 12:08   Link #460
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Boycott is my response to any crack down on fansubs by domestic companies unless there is a viable alternative to fansubs.