Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-11-27, 07:59   Link #81
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Don't know if this has been mentioned.
THe GN particles mess up radar and everything like that right? Wouldn't it work both ways? If it didn't, all it would take is one dud missile and a decent engineering team to reverse engineer the missile guidance system and how it counteracts the GN particles.
A bit on this. The answer to this is "sometimes." We've been shown that GN particles can be released at different rates for different levels of effect, probably the best example being Sri Lanka. While in battle, the GN effect was definitely in effect. Tieria's GN barrier was on its low setting, but we got the usual radio jamming and what not.

But when they left the island, Graham specifically states that the reason he was able to find the Exia was because it wasn't dispersing the particles so.

See how it works? During the canyon run last episode, Lockon noted that the enemy was going to look for them where the jamming was strongerst, and therefor they stopped dispersing until they got out for the attack run.

Unlike Minonsky Particles or whatever the ZAFT equivelant was, which were near-permanent (or took a VERY long time to disperse), GN Particles are only effective as long as they are being pumped out at a strong enough rate.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 08:06   Link #82
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'm not sure if it'd be accurate to call this standard military tactics at all.
Wasn't the gulf war v1.0, Vietnam, Balkan Conflict pretty much this tactic on a grand scale? I remember CNN showing cruise missile attacks, ship based bombardment, bombing runs prior to ground troops entering for the gulf war. Vietnam: agent orange/napalm were used as support for ground troops. (I used to work with vets and according to them this was used as a technique to flush VC out), didn't NATO pretty much rely on air support and artillery to get to Bosnian Serb operations? (I don't recall ground troops rolling in, as a result the Serbian Army was still on the ground and a threat until the Dayton agreement was signed?)
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 09:33   Link #83
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan
Wasn't the gulf war v1.0, Vietnam, Balkan Conflict pretty much this tactic on a grand scale?
No, not really. The term that you're looking for in both the case of Gulf War 1 and Kosovo is strategic bombing, and as the name implies, this is a strategy not tactics at all. One of the really big differences is that strategic bombing doesn't really target enemy troops; instead it goes for static, easy to hit infrastructure. The strategy itself is a relatively rare one, and I believe that it's largely a failure when employed as the primary strategy.

Vietnam was a very long war, and lots of different strategies and tactics were attempted in it. However, what you're describing, "a technique to flush VC out" is extremely different from "long range strikes followed by in melee fighting with air support". In the former, air attacks are used because the troops don't know precisely where the enemy is, and they're attempting to force those enemies to vacate their positions.

As far as regular warfare goes, melee fighting is almost non-existent as a tactic.
Old 2007-12-01, 03:13   Link #84
Ichimaru

I dont really like the gundam designs in gundam 00

exia is the only melee unit, while the others rely on their heavy armory to dispose units....whether its battle in the atmosphere or formations...the other gundams didnt have that much melee fights compared to exia....

they have superior weaponary compared to SEED, but SEED characters would pwn them they were good in the air, long distance and melee
Ichimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 03:34   Link #85
winter45

I dunno Ichimaru... I personally didnt think SEED characters were that good tbh. I just found their *mind rapes* ability far more effective than their melee and marksmen skills.

But seems if there is a seed vs 00 i dont think the mind rape ability is going to work very easily against 00 characters.

Well im glad to see setsuna actually doesnt kill a million things a second and takes a bit of time to cut down his enemies. But i find with setsuna he actually dices them up oppose to seed characters where they slash once and target goes BOOM!!!
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 09:35   Link #86
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichimaru View Post
I dont really like the gundam designs in gundam 00

exia is the only melee unit, while the others rely on their heavy armory to dispose units....whether its battle in the atmosphere or formations...the other gundams didnt have that much melee fights compared to exia....

they have superior weaponary compared to SEED, but SEED characters would pwn them they were good in the air, long distance and melee
Actually, it would be better to say that the other MS have had no close-range encounters yet period, and thus haven't had to fight that way one way or another. But just because they haven't, doesn't mean they can't. An early model set showed ALL the gundams with beam sabers, and the armament listings of the gundams have always been open for additional weapons.

Besides, the SEED MS were only good at all ranges because they crammed completely unrealistic amounts of weapons all over their MS, none of which ever got in the way of manuverability or dexterity. Things like the Freedom's umpteen weapons which never slowed it down, or the Anti-Ship Swords that were better than the smaller and lighter beam sabers, or the giant cannons some MS held on their backs, or....

Get the picture? Weapon load reductions have been my favorite part of 00. Were the MS of SEED to bring their weapons into the 00-verse, they'd get the same limits and become about as manuverable as the Tieren-cannon.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 01:57   Link #87
Cherudim Arche

That is because the fighting used so far, has no reliance on close combat, for it has more drawbacks so far, but later on that maybe different due to advancement.

If you don't like the design, deal with them, or don't watch the upcoming episode if you inpick on such details.

Every gundam series redefine the superior weaponry in some way. Don't assume that seed is the best, look at what gundam wing did.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote