AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-31, 13:17   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Nah, he shouid just find another girl. There's prob plenty of them in his school. Bet his coworker prob has a younger sister.

Sometimes it's just best to let go.
That's a very defensible and logical opinion. Unfortunately if you're a die-hard romantic (like me) the situation screams out that Ohana is Kou's true love and he should fight to the end, no matter how long the odds. Sadly for Kou, not only is his in a lousy logistical position - lives hours away and slots into the osananajimi role - personality-wise he seems like the sort of guy the girls want to talk to about their boyfriend problems.

But you know, as a romantic, I believe sometimes nice guys do finish first. So again I say, "Ganbare Kou!"
Old 2011-06-05, 16:09   Link #22
Lessing-love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's a very defensible and logical opinion. Unfortunately if you're a die-hard romantic (like me) the situation screams out that Ohana is Kou's true love and he should fight to the end, no matter how long the odds. Sadly for Kou, not only is his in a lousy logistical position - lives hours away and slots into the osananajimi role - personality-wise he seems like the sort of guy the girls want to talk to about their boyfriend problems.

But you know, as a romantic, I believe sometimes nice guys do finish first. So again I say, "Ganbare Kou!"
But this show isn't even about "true love" or anything like that. It's really more about growing up, facing reality, and becoming a stronger person. This show is not "Kou gets the girl he wants and twue wub prevails". This show is "Ohana grows up, learns to rely on the people around her, and finds her place in life." Feel-good romantic idealism really clashes with the show's real focus and themes. Part of growing up is accepting that things don't always turn out the way you want to, and sometimes childhood things need to be let go because nothing lasts forever.

There's really no logical way to make Kou and Ohana's "true love" realistically progress without a lot of butt-pulling and shoe horning and compromising Ohana's development. He already tried to make face-to-face contact with her, and that fell apart without a fight, and it's already nearly half way through the show. Ohana has so many others things to learn and do and other friendships to develop, and she's already realized that she's chosen Kissui over Kou. Yeah, some people interpret that as meaning "oh, she wants Kou back", but isn't that like pretending that no one in life has to make hard choices or some sacrifices as they grow up?
Old 2011-06-05, 16:39   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That works if you believe it's necessary for Ohana to completely wash her hands of her past in order to grow up. Problem is, life isn't that easy and clear most of the time. It's absolutely possible that she could decide she wants to stay at Kissuiso - but also that Kou is the guy she loves and always was. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Because, as you say, this is a coming-of-age story and not a romance I think it's a mortal lock we'll get a resolution of Ohana's life choices in terms of personal growth. I'm nowhere near as confident there will be any clear resolution in terms of the relationships at all.
Old 2011-06-05, 17:00   Link #24
Lessing-love

Quote:
That works if you believe it's necessary for Ohana to completely wash her hands of her past in order to grow up. Problem is, life isn't that easy and clear most of the time. It's absolutely possible that she could decide she wants to stay at Kissuiso - but also that Kou is the guy she loves and always was. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Because, as you say, this is a coming-of-age story and not a romance I think it's a mortal lock we'll get a resolution of Ohana's life choices in terms of personal growth. I'm nowhere near as confident there will be any clear resolution in terms of the relationships at all.
I never said anything about washing her hands of the past, because the past will always be a part of a person, but it's still clear that Kou and Ohana are becoming more and more distant while she's getting closer to her friends at Kissuiso and becoming a woman. I can see Ohana having those fuzzy feelings for Kou even at a far distance, but I'm not convinced that's love in any grown up, non adolescent sense. Adult relationships require a serious mutual sense of commitment, with very real obligations and responsibilities. And I don't see any realistic opportunity for the show to change that at this point without really derailing the story's focus. Most things just end on their own eventually, and that's just another reality of life.
Old 2011-06-05, 17:26   Link #25
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
It's not a matter of washing your hands of the past. It's a more a matter of being able to accept that time and distance sometimes put us completely out of reach of things we used to have in our lives.

And no. While it's possible that Ko and Ohana would keep their affections for eachother despite being seperated without seeing eachother, and that she ONLY found out he liked her right before she left...it's not likely.
Old 2011-06-05, 17:47   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

"Likely" is a subjective term and one I never used. It's possible - how possible, who knows. It's very clear that she has unresolved feelings for Kou, whatever the end result is. It may just be friendship, even sympathy, or it could be that separation will be what makes her realize that she had what he wanted right in front of her all along. Just no way to know, yet.

We're really dealing with two distinct issues here, logistics and feelings. If the feelings are strong enough, I suspect Okada would find a way to make the logistics work. If Ohana never loved Kou romantically and has (or will) moved on in her life, the fact that he's in another city is largely irrelevant.
Old 2011-06-05, 20:10   Link #27
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
"Likely" is a subjective term and one I never used.
Of course you didn't say "Likely". I Said "Likely". I said "Likely" because YOU brought up how "possible" it was without bringing up how "Likely" it was. When someone brings up the "possibility" of an event to happen without mentioning the low "probability" that it will happen, it's reasonable for another person to bring up "likelihood" into the conversation
Quote:
It's possible - how possible, who knows.
I do. "Pretty damn unlikely"
Quote:
It's very clear that she has unresolved feelings for Kou, whatever the end result is. It may just be friendship, even sympathy, or it could be that separation will be what makes her realize that she had what he wanted right in front of her all along. Just no way to know, yet.

We're really dealing with two distinct issues here, logistics and feelings. If the feelings are strong enough, I suspect Okada would find a way to make the logistics work. If Ohana never loved Kou romantically and has (or will) moved on in her life, the fact that he's in another city is largely irrelevant.
Hoping the author will provide a convenient plot device to allow Ohana and Ko to be together against all odds seems pretty unlikely considering the tone of this show.

And I think you're marginalizing the significance about Ko living in another city out of contact from Ohana. Ohana obviously is quite fond of Ko, and I really doubt it's platonic, even at this point. However it's FAR from a mature adult relationship. It might have grown into something, but I'm not seeing much possibility for it at this time. Nor, given the kind of relationship that Ohana and Ko have, do I really see it really lasting.
Old 2011-06-05, 20:15   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm sensing a real insecurity in some of the shipping that's going on with this show, actually. My position is simply that a Kou/Ohana pairing is possible and consistent with what the show has done so far. So if an Ohana/Tohru pairing, or no pairing at all. But there's a desperation to deny all possibility of an Ohana/Kou pairing, as if the very possibility was too frightening to consider.

It's very interesting, especially since there's so little concrete evidence of how this may turn out, and frankly so little evidence that the resolution will turn on a romantic moment at all.
Old 2011-06-05, 20:48   Link #29
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I don't think it's a matter of insecurity. Go back 3 episodes and I would be saying that Ohana/Ko was still a legit possibility. It's mainly how I've reacted to the tone and events set up in these last few episodes, that seem to rather strongly suggest a quite low probability of Ohana/Ko working.
Old 2011-06-12, 22:45   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Pretty clear now that Ohana is still totally hung up on Kou. I think that OV was a complete troll, personally - the contents of the episode itself were much more telling.
Old 2011-06-19, 14:25   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kou is almost too nice to be realistic at this point - he's behaving like a Saint. But I've known guys like him - it's the combination of two factors. He's a really nice guy to begin with, and he's hopelessly in love with Ohana. I feel for him, but hopefully Ohana wises up before the series is over. If not, he really would be better off if she would just cut the cord.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:38   Link #32
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

If you think about it, Ko was kind of rejected by Ohana, without her realizing it. He told glasses girl that he wanted to watch over Ohana for her safety but during that phone call, she tells him that she's been horrible to him and she's not going to rely on him anymore. I think Ko took that as "I don't deserve you as a boyfriend" and his confession was rejected. Which results with him saying "jaa naa" and Ohana getting rejected. So they both kind of rejected each other... on accident? I wish they'd both just sit down and talk it out. @_@ So damn confusing.
Old 2011-07-17, 13:08   Link #33
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I just thought of something; wouldn't it be hilarious if Kou was working all of those part-time jobs to invest in that super deluxe hotel that all of the inns are competing against? That'd make Kou Ohana's final boss
Old 2011-08-29, 00:55   Link #34
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Episode 22 came out, Its confirm that Ohana has finally sorted out her feelings for Ko.

I fear the upcoming return to Tokyo arc, because it means the show is ending and Ohana could be rejected >_<
Old 2011-09-04, 19:30   Link #35
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Dare I say it... KoHana end?

Careful, Icarus - I think it's still too early. Okada will probably stab me in the eye again before this is all over. My money's still on the forever alone end, though my heart is pulling for KoHana.
Old 2011-09-05, 11:13   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The one piece of Ko internal dialogue that makes me now lean more towards a Kohana end rather than an Ohana-forever-alone end is this:

'Thank you so much, Ms. Matsumae. I had almost given up on Ohana...'

Simply put, it doesn't make sense for Ko to be thinking this if he's already in a romantic relationship with his female coworker at the library (or anybody else, for that matter).

So he should be "available". So is Ohana, of course. And they both clearly have strong feelings for one another. So... I'm not seeing any real obstacles right now.

That doesn't mean that Okada won't create one, mind you, but I'm actually a bit skeptical that HSI would create a brand new completely romance-crushing obstacle at this juncture. The anime likes to build on what came before, while using new elements merely as puzzle pieces to fit in to the bigger picture.
Old 2011-09-05, 12:02   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

True. There really isn't any chance Kou is dating Bookstore-girl based on his behavior here. Right now the biggest obstacle would appear to be a late entry by Satsuki to steal him.

In a way, if Ko and Ohana don't end up together this series has wasted an awful lot of time on a diversion. What was the point of throwing up all those obstacles, only to remove them and then have them break up anyway? With any other show, I'd say that would be perverse and unlikely. With this one, who knows?
Old 2011-09-05, 12:30   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
True. There really isn't any chance Kou is dating Bookstore-girl based on his behavior here. Right now the biggest obstacle would appear to be a late entry by Satsuki to steal him.
lol

Quote:

In a way, if Ko and Ohana don't end up together this series has wasted an awful lot of time on a diversion. What was the point of throwing up all those obstacles, only to remove them and then have them break up anyway? With any other show, I'd say that would be perverse and unlikely. With this one, who knows?
Agreed. The thing with a proper love triangle (as we saw in True Tears) is that each potential pairing works as an obstacle to the other one, creating a real conflict. So the conflict can legitimately become the story itself, and ultimately result in a victor as assuredly as a shonen fight would.

But if Ko and Ohana don't end up together, in spite of all of its buildup and lack of real romantic conflict, then all of the time devoted to it will seem like a waste to me because it didn't really go anywhere, or contribute to anything of lasting import.
Old 2011-09-05, 15:24   Link #39
Blaat

I don't know I wouldn't be surprised if Ohana ends up misinterpreting Kou (again) and the relationship fails... just to troll the watchers.
Old 2011-09-05, 18:04   Link #40
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Soooo, odds on Ohana's mom NTR end?

...Okay fine, probably not.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters