AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 79 54.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 27.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 11.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.68%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-04, 03:12   Link #81
ipernorris

@Psychodragon:
It's way too early to make conclusions about the characters' personalities. They can go through a radical change: just see what happend to Minmei in Macross...
Old 2008-05-04, 03:45   Link #82
Mandoric

And before it gets pointed out: Yes we know we're missing a line in Sheryl's dialogue right at the end; it got eaten in the final subtitle assembly process. Feel free to imagine "So I can go back to Galaxy without worrying." floating down there on the bottom of the screen.

(also yes her early line about what Alto's thinking probably should be less ambiguous, and yes we know we said "be" instead of "by")
Old 2008-05-04, 04:07   Link #83
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandoric View Post
And before it gets pointed out: Yes we know we're missing a line in Sheryl's dialogue right at the end; it got eaten in the final subtitle assembly process. Feel free to imagine "So I can go back to Galaxy without worrying." floating down there on the bottom of the screen.

(also yes her early line about what Alto's thinking probably should be less ambiguous, and yes we know we said "be" instead of "by")
Myeh, its fine by my standards to catch the jist of things. Keep up the pace~

On a side note; I kinda found it interesting after rewatching it that they mention the old ruin style near that cow(?) farm, but yet cut to a difference scene before explaining it.
Old 2008-05-04, 04:16   Link #84
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

That isn't a ruin, it's the Zentraedi mall at a distance. Why on Earth would a colony fleet waste space on anything ruined, that was actually some beef I had with M7.
Old 2008-05-04, 04:29   Link #85
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychodragon View Post
After watching this, I am getting more and more excited about this anime series with each episode! MF is like Gundam Seed...it's introducing its franchise to the new and younger generations while still appealing to the old ones.

I think this anime is providing an incredible opportunity for lesser-known and/or younger seiyuus to take the spotlight and shine gloriously. I have every reason to believe that Aya Endo, Megumi Nakajima, and Yuuichi Nakamura are handling their roles incredibly well, especially Endo with Sheryl Nome. The character is portrayed in the beginning as stubborn, b*tchy, conceited, but professional. No doubt Endo's voice convinced me that Sheryl is such and it even made me hate the character. I'm sure that's what they intended for the audience to feel, so good job! They successfully convinced the audience. But after episode 5 we get to see and feel the other side of Sheryl, and although Endo provided a lot of playfulness into the voice, I am still convinced that the b*tchy Sheryl still exists, giving a more rounded portrayal of the character. Quite a few times I have seen seiyuus portray two sides of a character, and it comes off as "a character with multiple personalities," as opposed to "two sides of a character." That's REALLY tough to do in voice-work, I'm sure.

After watching ep5, I'm convinced that Sheryl and Ranka serve as foils of the other.

1) Height-wise: Sheryl's tall. Ranka's short.
2) Biological makeup: Sheryl's human. Ranka's...almost human (the part Zentradi blood).
3) Personalities: Sheryl's b*tchy (not to say she's like this all the time). Ranka's well-mannered.
4) Beauty: Sheryl's beautiful on the outside (not to say she's a bad person). Ranka's beautiful on the inside.
5) Singing-Skills: Sheryl's a professional. Ranka's an amateur (but still great!).
6) And the list can go on and on...

Have to see what's going to happen as time goes on. If there is a romance competition for Alto's heart, I have to say that whatever happens, both of them will have my blessings (I used to dislike Sheryl a lot, but ep5 changed that perception).
When I was reading the biological part I was expecting something like the size of the boobs lol. I guess it is pretty care what I think it's important LOL.

Because the two are foils the love triangle becomes interesting; Sheryl is a diva and Ranka is the girl next door. I'm hoping that Alto ends up with Sheryl due to my personal preference and how hiraku didn't end up with the diva of his era.
Old 2008-05-04, 04:39   Link #86
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
I'm hoping that Alto ends up with Sheryl due to my personal preference and how hiraku didn't end up with the diva of his era.
Trick is, Minmei was sort of both in this example; she started out as the girl next door and became a diva. A large part of the narrative arc of SDFM was how Hikaru and Minmei grew distant as Minmei became ever more famous. We'll have something like that here, seemingly, but while Minmei never really owed Hikaru much beyond inspiring one song, Alto basically forms Ranka's entire reason for even trying to do what she does and I don't think she'll forget that. Sheryl on the other hand is an established idol and is probably one of the most famous people in the human sphere. Her entire dynamic is rather unlike any relationship we've seen in the franchise before. She's famous, she knows it, she kind of digs the fact that, on the whole, Alto doesn't give a shit about it, and if episode 5 and 6 bear out
Spoiler:
so it's hard to compare her to anything the series has seen before.
Old 2008-05-04, 05:10   Link #87
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
Trick is, Minmei was sort of both in this example; she started out as the girl next door and became a diva. A large part of the narrative arc of SDFM was how Hikaru and Minmei grew distant as Minmei became ever more famous. We'll have something like that here, seemingly, but while Minmei never really owed Hikaru much beyond inspiring one song, Alto basically forms Ranka's entire reason for even trying to do what she does and I don't think she'll forget that. Sheryl on the other hand is an established idol and is probably one of the most famous people in the human sphere. Her entire dynamic is rather unlike any relationship we've seen in the franchise before. She's famous, she knows it, she kind of digs the fact that, on the whole, Alto doesn't give a shit about it, and if episode 5 and 6 bear out
Spoiler:
so it's hard to compare her to anything the series has seen before.
That's a good way to look at things

Minmei and Hikaru grew apart as the series went on but Risa and Hiraku grew closer.

From what you said about Ranka's inspiration I consequently thought how Sheryl did the same thing for Alto in episode 5. The date with Sheryl kinda gave Alto a much needed shot of conviction. I thought before the date Alto wanted to fly large due to his rebelliousness and a little of anything else, but after spending some with someone as driven as Sheryl his attitude seems to have changed. If Alto is Ranka's inspiration then Sheryl might be Alto's, just slightly different.

Back to the first Macross analogies (if you can call it that), Minmei's song won the war but not Hikaru, and I think a similar situation would happen here. Obviously Ranka's voice/song has an affect on the Vajra which means she'll play an important roll in the war/conflict and most likely be the deciding factor. I doubt that Sheryl would end up with no Ws; if she ain't going to win the war, then she'll win Alto. EDIT: more like I don't think Ranka would end up with both wins.

just my 2cents

Last edited by JackRydden224; 2008-05-04 at 05:22.
Old 2008-05-04, 05:34   Link #88
ApostleOfGod
^.^

TOO BALLIN. <3 Macross WITH THE PASSION.

Sheryl is the way to go.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2008-05-04, 06:36   Link #89
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

A cool episode. It was interesting and refreshing to see the Zentradi and Meltradi races again in fresh modern animation and I was surprised how well they have integrated themselves with human society. Is it just me but I don't quite remember either giant races having pointy ears.
Old 2008-05-04, 07:00   Link #90
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I want to see how Ranka will react to the kiss... Anger? Depression?

Also, I never noticed before how pointy Michel's ears were. Is he part Zentradi, too?

About Alto failing to give Sheryl some paper: I don't think he understood what she was looking for till it was too late. I know I didn't.

I never thought I'd see hillbilly Zentradies...
Old 2008-05-04, 07:11   Link #91
ReddyRedWolf

For those questioning the Zentradi pointy ears assume they always had them like in Star Trek with Klingons and Romulans.

The ears have been an updated look ever since Do You Remember Love.
Old 2008-05-04, 08:26   Link #92
Snuffle
likes cute things

I wasn't really a fan of the Macross series but the art style in this one encouraged me to check it out, and I'm enjoying it so far, been years since I watched a mecha show due to none of them really interested me . But I guess I could say I'm hooked on this one . I'm pretty sure I've seen Macross Plus but I don't remember a single thing about it! >_<;;;

Anyway, I must've listend to Ranka's singing about 10 times already! Does anybody here know what the song name is and the artist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
I was a little weirded out about that when the show first aired, but I've come to really appreciate it. It is nice having a non-squeaky female lead in a show like this for once, and Ranka's VA gets better with every episode and holy shit she can sing.
I also like the change of pace from the typical high pitch female lead. I've also grown to like Ranka's voice, and ya, I just love it when she sings .
Old 2008-05-04, 08:38   Link #93
krln99

This series is turning out to be the best of the Macross sequels, already. At the end of the original Macross series, I always thought, "What if Minmay had a rival idol?" I think we're heading in that direction with this series.

BTW, if you didn't notice Ranka is singing Cheryl's "What Bout My Star" from the first episode (and easily surpasses the original in the process!)
Old 2008-05-04, 08:50   Link #94
Snuffle
likes cute things

Found some info, a link to Megumi Nakajima's official page is also there. I prefer Ranka's version of the song tho

http://gabrielarobin.com/186/what-bo...iangler-lyrics

Just realized Megumi Nakajima is the seiyuu for Ranka. So I guess it would be called her other verion of the song?
Old 2008-05-04, 09:29   Link #95
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

BTW, was anyone else struck by the irony of Ranka going to Alto for advice on family conflict resolution? I think Michel was...

What do you think are the chances of Osma arranging for a "training accident" if Alto were to tell her to get herself disowned and do what she wants?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2008-05-04 at 09:51.
Old 2008-05-04, 09:42   Link #96
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
From what you said about Ranka's inspiration I consequently thought how Sheryl did the same thing for Alto in episode 5. The date with Sheryl kinda gave Alto a much needed shot of conviction. I thought before the date Alto wanted to fly large due to his rebelliousness and a little of anything else, but after spending some with someone as driven as Sheryl his attitude seems to have changed. If Alto is Ranka's inspiration then Sheryl might be Alto's, just slightly different.

Back to the first Macross analogies (if you can call it that), Minmei's song won the war but not Hikaru, and I think a similar situation would happen here. Obviously Ranka's voice/song has an affect on the Vajra which means she'll play an important roll in the war/conflict and most likely be the deciding factor. I doubt that Sheryl would end up with no Ws; if she ain't going to win the war, then she'll win Alto. EDIT: more like I don't think Ranka would end up with both wins.

just my 2cents
With your first paragraph you'll find next episode interesting as for the second I agree completely. I can separate my liking for a character and who I think will win (a lot of people.. shippers in particular can't do this sadly...) and like you I think Sheryl will win the "Alto war" because Ranka is the key to the Varja.

Sheryl and Ranka are pretty much billed as even female leads so I don't see one of them getting both the W's. If through some (stupid) plot twist that ignores the events of the first 5 episodes and Sheryl instead of Ranka is the key to the Varja than even though I'm a massive Sheryl fan my "money" goes all on Ranka at that point. I don't see Kawamori giving everything good to one of these two and leaving the other one with nothing except character development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
About Alto failing to give Sheryl some paper: I don't think he understood what she was looking for till it was too late. I know I didn't.
Yeah.. he could've gone oh here's some paper but by that time Sheryl was already furiously scribbling lyrics on those massive panties. So she would have to buy them anyway.. I really hope we see them delivered to Grace before the OP next episode lol.
Old 2008-05-04, 09:51   Link #97
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

"They're for you, since I've noticed you put on some weight recently. The food around here sure is good, isn't it?"?

Maybe Ranka will win the war and Alto, while Sheryl will prove she's the superstar and win career-wise? Though right now (unlike for first few episodes), I'm pretty torn on whom I want to win in love. I used to really want Ranka to win, but now, I don't think I'd mind too much if it's Sheryl... :\
Old 2008-05-04, 09:55   Link #98
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
It's because it's Shonen Jump really. Shonen Jump series frequently post high ratings.
i doubt thats the case
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
HOME | KIDS | *TEEN | ***M1 | ***M2 | ***M3 | ***F1 | ***F2 | ***F3 | PROGRAM
--------------------------------------------------------------
*2.4% | *4.7% | *1.8% | *1.0% | *0.7% | *0.3% | *0.6% | *1.6% | *0.3% | SOUL EATER (2008/04/07 Kantou)
*2.6% | **.*% | *3.2% | *4.2% | *0.9% | *0.7% | *0.6% | *0.7% | *0.3% | To LOVE Ru -Trouble- (2008/04/11 Kantou)
*2.7% | **.*% | *0.3% | *4.2% | *2.5% | *0.2% | *1.0% | *1.2% | *0.2% | Macross FRONTIER (2008/04/12 Kantou)
*2.8% | **.*% | **.*% | *6.9% | *1.8% | *0.5% | **.*% | *0.4% | *0.4% | Golgo 13 (2008/04/12 Kantou)
*2.6% | *1.4% | *1.5% | *2.5% | *2.1% | *1.2% | *0.8% | *1.7% | *0.5% | Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 [Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2] (2008/04/13 Kantou)
*3.8% | *0.9% | *2.6% | *4.3% | *1.0% | *1.0% | *1.0% | *1.7% | *1.1% | Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 [Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2] (2008/04/13 Kansai)
M2 is male age 35-49...and toloveru gets the highest for that...

all i can say is pedopedopedopedopedo

and i find it funny that sheryl we went to write lyrics on a gaint pantie, while alto take out a piece of paper to fold airplane
Old 2008-05-04, 10:09   Link #99
Psychodragon
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
@Psychodragon:
It's way too early to make conclusions about the characters' personalities. They can go through a radical change: just see what happend to Minmei in Macross...
Hm. Unfortunately I never got to watch the original Macross, nor Macross 7 (back in the day when I didn't have a fast connection or the heart to leave my internet on for long periods of time). However I did read up a lot about the two series from say, Wiki and other Macross-devoted websites. Maybe I should now consider looking into watching those?

True. It might be too early to make conclusions...but I definitely like what I'm seeing so far!

Quote:
When I was reading the biological part I was expecting something like the size of the boobs lol. I guess it is pretty care what I think it's important LOL.

Because the two are foils the love triangle becomes interesting; Sheryl is a diva and Ranka is the girl next door. I'm hoping that Alto ends up with Sheryl due to my personal preference and how hiraku didn't end up with the diva of his era.
Haha! I WAS going to mention the fact that one had a bigger chest than the other, but like any other post I make in here, I always do a final check to make sure my post is family or kid-friendly. Yeah, it didn't make the final cut . Just a habit of mine...the last thing I want to do is offend someone and get banned from this awesome forum!

It is interesting you point out that Hikaru did not end up with the diva from his era.
1) It looks to me so far that this series may produce TWO divas. Who/How would he choose?
2) Hikaru choosing Misa at the end of Macross was perhaps someone's idea of how the romance should have ended up as back in the 1970's. But what about now? It's the 21st century; has the Japanese preference for choosing romantic partners in this franchise evolved over time or will it stay the same as back in the 70's?

Last edited by Psychodragon; 2008-05-04 at 10:21. Reason: Additional comments
Old 2008-05-04, 10:11   Link #100
Westlo
Lets be reality

You misread the columns.. Macross Frontier is 2.5% in the M2 range, To Love Ru is 0.9%. While Macross is 0.3% in TEENS To Love Ru is 3.2% which shows the latter is appealing to the SJ target crowd.
Closed Thread