AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-11-23, 03:32   Link #121
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
The overt homosexual overtones
I could never get this part, the internet is where I first found out about it. Where do people see it in Wing?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 06:14   Link #122
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Definitely in the way they portray the boys and Treize and Zechs in a way that attracts fangirls?

And the pretty obvious relationship between Trowa and Quatre?
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 06:38   Link #123
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
You couldn't really see it with Treize and Zechs, considering Noin was all up on Zechs and Lady Une to Treize. Treize tends to give off that "ladies man" feeling, actually.

Trowa and Quatre, on the other hand, sent people in circles. I don't see it in Trowa, but with Quatre, it seems like it is. But, in the end, after reading the mangas as well as watching the series, Quatre's extremely kind-hearted and friendly dimeanor can be easily mistaken for being someone that's gay. Maybe when they were looking to make a peaceloving and friendly character, they went overboard with the concept and ended up making people think twice about his sexual orientation?

Sadly enough, just like any other Gundam series (or anime for that matter), there are tons of fanfics that over exaggerate upon what's there and cause the characters to be either yaoi or yuri in their stories.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 18:24   Link #124
GTO_ PAO

i have a question:

can the wing zero and the endless waltz gundams be rebuilt after self destruction?

also, what happend to the first wing gundam(not zero)?
GTO_ PAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 18:46   Link #125
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

A) yes they can, there's nothing that'd prevent that...hence if you needed to milk AC anymore, you can always rebuild the Wing Zero by taking out its core memory/ZERO system to keep its soul intact. The other gundams would be more or less new ones.

B) The first wing gundam got self-destructed by Heero, then rebuilt, then dumped in Luxembourg when Heero picked up Epyon, then taken up by Lady Une and blasted in half by Libra IIRC.
Old 2008-01-08, 21:34   Link #126
symbiotes_021
Arke Knight

Just finished watching The 49 episodes of G Wing and I was one of those that only watch the Endless Waltz first, then the series.

The result is...I love this series. Love the mecha design, but not the enemy's, Cancer, Taurus, etc...

The question is... Why and how did the Wing Zero turned into Wing Zero Custom. Cause I like Wing Zero which can transform into MA more than Wing Zero Custom.

Fear me, even Setsuna's Exia wouldn't stand a chance of winning my Zaiaku!!
symbiotes_021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 21:38   Link #127
Cherudim Arche

maybe Quatre thought it was time for a new makeover for wing zero.
Did they every explain the part telling how the gundams upgraded to their custom version before endless waltz.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 22:13   Link #128
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

seem like wing was one of the 1st gundam series to appeal to the mass audience, not just die hard gundam and mecha fans

plus some of the poster advertisement of wing zero was unreal

also wing had some of the coolest Gundams to date (>.>) (>.>) Epyon

Last edited by bbduece; 2008-01-09 at 04:04.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 23:23   Link #129
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynames/ Virtue View Post
maybe Quatre thought it was time for a new makeover for wing zero.
Did they every explain the part telling how the gundams upgraded to their custom version before endless waltz.
It never got upgraded. It got retconned. If you watch from the beginning, in the flashback, the WZ was the angel one, rather than the badass jet transformer.
Old 2008-01-08, 23:26   Link #130
Chase

I like Gundam Wing cuz............................

well i just like it
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 19:18   Link #131
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
It never got upgraded. It got retconned. If you watch from the beginning, in the flashback, the WZ was the angel one, rather than the badass jet transformer.
I agree to some degree. The flashback shows a Gundam that looks very closely to Wing Zero, but without the wings and a few other decorations. Since Wing was literally a watered down version of Wing Zero in the original series, it made sense that the Wing Custom design became a watered down version of Wing Zero Custom in the OVA.

Also, to further clarify, as I recall in one of the articles I read interviewing the director of the Endless Waltz, he said that he wanted to give all the Gundams a less-gimmicky makeover while keeping true to their functions. That's why the designs resulted in Wing Zero Custom losing its shield in exchange for real wing-designed wings, Deatscythe Custom having bat-like wings and its scythe becoming thinner and longer-bladed, minus the double blades, Heavyarms Custom's colors shifted to look less clown-ish and more militaristic, not to mention its weapons underwent major revision while keeping the same amount of missiles, Sandrock Custom losing its shield and gaining larger heat shortels, and Altron Custom (Nataku) losing its beam "tail" and gaining bigger, longer dragon fangs.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 14:30   Link #132
QuattroBajeena
Lt. of the AEUG

The only really big Wing fans I know are the yaoi fangirls, although I do have a few friends who found the original trilogy and Seed too "boring." Luckily, when I bring up 8th MS team those who have seen it agree it was better.

I will admit, Wing plays the polotics card but good, It's the series' saving grace, and I actually see 00 as a Wing done right proper. Specialized suits working as the team they were supposed to be in. My biggest issue with Wing ARE the tech specs of the Gundams, and as stated in Wing, they only win because all the other suits in the beginning are a decade behind.

Wing-3 shot buster cannon. Ugh. 3. shots. only.

Deathschythe- I hate this Gundam. It's so bloody impractical it drives me nuts. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.

Altron/Nataku- I REALLY hate this Gundam. Worst design in history for me DRAGON ARMS=stupid.

Heavyarms- Actually makes sense, yeah it runs out of ammo fast, but it serves it's purpose. Essentially a more mobile Guntank.

Sandrock- Also makes sense. Armed for mid-short range combat, nothing special, but it gets the job done.

Wing Zero- It can blow up a colony, drive its pilot mad, dumb.

Tallgeese1-3- Another well rounded suit, makes sense to me.

Epyon- Retarted, special system, yadda yadda, whip only is dumb.

Serpent- The main opposing suit in EW, my personal favorit mobile suit. Well designed, capable of multiple types of combat, and sense in the movie they daid they didn't kill people, the cockpit is obviously well protected.
QuattroBajeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 14:43   Link #133
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

mobile suits are cool, girls are cute, characters with mental issue ^^, political mess, romance, war, robot fighting, lots of stuff blowing up, tragedies.......etc...etc.....

Last edited by bbduece; 2008-01-14 at 19:15. Reason: mistake
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 14:53   Link #134
RedWing

Never understood why they didnt make an 1/100 MG Epyon.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 14:34   Link #135
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

*shrugs*

Never really understood why Gundam Wing got so much hate either. As for me, well, who knows. I could probably come up with some nice long paragraphs if I sat down to think about it, but at the end of the day, I just like it. Not to the point of proclaiming it as best anime ever, but something that I thoroughly enjoyed and wouldn't mind rewatching.

I'm probably one of the few people who have Trowa Barton as their favourite character though... Oh to have a MG model kit of the Endless Waltz Heavyarms Gundam...
Old 2008-01-20, 17:14   Link #136
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
I so think the series version of Zero was cooler than the EW Zero. Sure, the wings added a kind of majestic graceful look to it, but it lost that feeling of being a giant flying mass murder machine. Heavyarms' EW body certainly had that look though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroBajeena View Post
I will admit, Wing plays the polotics card but good, It's the series' saving grace, and I actually see 00 as a Wing done right proper. Specialized suits working as the team they were supposed to be in. My biggest issue with Wing ARE the tech specs of the Gundams, and as stated in Wing, they only win because all the other suits in the beginning are a decade behind.

Wing-3 shot buster cannon. Ugh. 3. shots. only.

Deathschythe- I hate this Gundam. It's so bloody impractical it drives me nuts. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.

Altron/Nataku- I REALLY hate this Gundam. Worst design in history for me DRAGON ARMS=stupid.

Heavyarms- Actually makes sense, yeah it runs out of ammo fast, but it serves it's purpose. Essentially a more mobile Guntank.

Sandrock- Also makes sense. Armed for mid-short range combat, nothing special, but it gets the job done.

Wing Zero- It can blow up a colony, drive its pilot mad, dumb.

Tallgeese1-3- Another well rounded suit, makes sense to me.

Epyon- Retarted, special system, yadda yadda, whip only is dumb.

Serpent- The main opposing suit in EW, my personal favorit mobile suit. Well designed, capable of multiple types of combat, and sense in the movie they said they didn't kill people, the cockpit is obviously well protected.
I will admit that the political aspect of Wing was really well done, but Treize's strategy to rise to power was just plain confusing. After seeing the series multiple times over, I still never really got a grasp over how unbelieveably complicated it is..

As for the suits... I like all of them, though I think Deathscythe and Epyon are incredibly overrated. Of all of them, I've always been a Tallgeese fan. Don't know why, but even while it wasn't as strong as the Gundams, it still kicked a whole lot of ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
Never understood why they didnt make an 1/100 MG Epyon.
I don't think the Epyon is that good of a suit. I know just about everyone loves it, but it never really came off as that special to me. You never know, though. They might just make one eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
*shrugs*

Never really understood why Gundam Wing got so much hate either. As for me, well, who knows. I could probably come up with some nice long paragraphs if I sat down to think about it, but at the end of the day, I just like it. Not to the point of proclaiming it as best anime ever, but something that I thoroughly enjoyed and wouldn't mind rewatching.

I'm probably one of the few people who have Trowa Barton as their favourite character though... Oh to have a MG model kit of the Endless Waltz Heavyarms Gundam...
Wing is a decent series, but I suppose some people may not like it because it's story isn't as compelling as other Gundam series'.

Unfortunately, outside of the Wing Gundam Kai, there aren't any Wing Master Grades. I wouldn't mind a trio of Tallgeese, myself. It'd make for a cool display. Of course, there is the 1/100 Heavyarms from the basic EW kits, but that's obviously nowhere near as good as a MG.

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 19:26   Link #137
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
I will admit that the political aspect of Wing was really well done, but Treize's strategy to rise to power was just plain confusing. After seeing the series multiple times over, I still never really got a grasp over how unbelieveably complicated it is..
I've just finished a Gundam Wing rewatch, and yeah i gotta agree. Still, Treize is by far one of my favorite parts about Wing. His sense of honor is one i totally love. Not to mention how well that goes with his character design.

Oh yeah, and some of his quotes are so god damn brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
As for the suits... I like all of them, though I think Deathscythe and Epyon are incredibly overrated. Of all of them, I've always been a Tallgeese fan. Don't know why, but even while it wasn't as strong as the Gundams, it still kicked a whole lot of ass.
I have nothing against the upgrade, though the original Tallgeese had that badarse aura about it which made seeing it in action so beautiful. I guess having Zechs as it's originally pilot helped that out.
Old 2008-01-24, 08:50   Link #138
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
not everyone likes gundam wing.

its full mecha emo.

i stopped watching after 5 episodes.

Old 2008-02-03, 10:45   Link #139
Nanashi777

Send a message via AIM to Nanashi777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
not everyone likes gundam wing.

its full mecha emo.

i stopped watching after 5 episodes.

It's not exactly emo. All it really is is endless chat about pacifism and such. That's the only thing about it that I don't like. It wastes too much time talking and there isn't enough action. And to some guy up there that was attacking the mobile suits....who cares, technically a mobile suit in general is unrealistic, we haven't seen one in modern days at all. Plus they look awesome and kick ___ so why complain? Also, the main reason this is my favorite anime is cuz it was my first and it was my favorite back then too.
Nanashi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 09:35   Link #140
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanashi777 View Post
It's not exactly emo. All it really is is endless chat about pacifism and such. That's the only thing about it that I don't like. It wastes too much time talking and there isn't enough action. And to some guy up there that was attacking the mobile suits....who cares, technically a mobile suit in general is unrealistic, we haven't seen one in modern days at all. Plus they look awesome and kick ___ so why complain? Also, the main reason this is my favorite anime is cuz it was my first and it was my favorite back then too.
They always waste a lot of time talking in Gundam anyway. But that's okay with me, because if one looks deeper into some anime, you can see and perhaps enjoy a lot more than just buttkicking, and displays of penultimate h4xx pending a greater contemporary.

In some series, like SEED, you're thinking, "less talk, more action", because without the action, both SEED (and its source text, the original Gundam series) would be pretty dry, what with having a totally h4xx hero in 'White Devil' Amuro/Kira 'Jesus' Yamato who dodges everything that could be of fatal harm to him (unless shot by Char/Athrun, Creuset/that M-person), and plays out like a shonen series.

But in Wing and its effective remake, double-0, the politics and 'pacifism VS war in the face of a second Cold War/Iron Curtain situation' thing plays a major role in the unfolding of the storyline, and thus the talking is of much greater importance, rather than all the excessive buttkicking that tends to stick to a lot of Gundam like a plague.

Also, double-0 features quite a few rather realistic, albeit ordinary and sometimes rated as "pointless" or "observer" characters. That's all a part of it being a mirror of the future (and in part, the mirror of the present and the past)

So, in my opinion, it would just be better to just appreciate the focus point of a series, unless, of course, the series really botches up its focal points, which doesn't really happen. Although I say that everyone is entitled to their own ([jk] ninja way [/jk]) definition of favorite anime...but I just personally think that anime is most enjoyable when one can not only enjoy the story, but also detect and resonate with some of the nuances (political, cultural and social) that are embedded into it.

And hey, fret not, Gundams aren't that far off. Just get yourself the speed/propulsion of a Concord (which, as a passenger plane at sonic speeds, would be heavier than the average MS), some of those lasers we already have (yes, a certain country's lasers can blast holes in missiles already), and then a century and a half on focusing on the humanoid shape and the extra maneuverability and armament strength, it could be done. Just pray that your government sees the point in spending money on the level of a nation's entire defense budget over this...
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote