AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-04-19, 08:06   Link #6621
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Thus she can shut down even Intelligent, Armed and Storage Devices with ease. Rein Zwei is kinda a grey line how she should be affected, but I believe there will be an effect on her at least.
If this Absolute Judgement IS works like an AMF, we already know the effect of even a heavy AMF on Rein. If you recall, in ep25, when the Cradle maxed out its AMF, it forced Rein out of Unison with Hayate and she plopped to the ground. Other than that, she was fine. So it looks like AMF-like things will only inhibit Rein's ability to do magic but not interfere with her life-processes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
But we never actually found out how they work, so his idea of electronic Devices is as valid as the 'only magic' one.
But the thing is, like Keroko said, electronic devices run on electricity. If mage Devices are electronic, where's their electric powersource? On the other hand, we know Devices channel their user's magic to form spells. Therefore, in the absence of conflicting data, it's reasonable to think that Devices tap their user's mana output to run.
James did say perhaps Devices convert mana into electricity to run. But I'll have to ask, why bother? It's a redundant step and the only reason you're insisting on it is that we have no experience with complex equipment running on anything other than electricity. A civilization with millenia of experience with magic has probably found ways to use it like we use electricity.

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2009-04-19 at 08:20.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 08:07   Link #6622
JamesEdwards
ANTI-Nonsense

Send a message via AIM to JamesEdwards

Sheba, Kyral...at this point, I am throwing all sense and dignity to the curb, even though it goes against my principles of being Anti-Nonsense. Still, I appreciate both of your insights, and so without ado...

BRETHEREN, MORALE GROUP HUG!
Old 2009-04-19, 08:11   Link #6623
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
If this Absolute Judgement IS works like an AMF, we already know the effect of even a heavy AMF on Rein. If you recall, in ep25, when the Cradle maxed out its AMF, it forced Rein out of Unison with Hayate and she plopped to the ground. Other than that, she was fine. So it looks like AMF-like things will only inhibit Rein's ability to do magic but not interfere with her life-processes.
It doesn't really work like an AMF, actually. An AMF dissolves the links that make a spell, but does not affect the raw mana. The AM, on the other hand, dissolves the mana itself. I'd imagine that does have an effect on Rein.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 08:18   Link #6624
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Don't push her too far, or she might fall into her 'heavy-tsun rambling mode:'

Though you'd have to be pushing her really really far to reach this 4 minute ramble record.

Four minutes of tsun...

Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't really work like an AMF, actually. An AMF dissolves the links that make a spell, but does not affect the raw mana. The AM, on the other hand, dissolves the mana itself. I'd imagine that does have an effect on Rein.
Erh, Absolute Judgement is the Anti-Electronic field, the anti-magic field is Null Absolution. And was referring to the former rather than the latter.

While I never did think about the mechanics of Absolute Jdgement much, I see it very much like a signal blocker: it prevents energy transmission whether magical or electric being sent out from one place to another across a metallic or non-organic medium. As long as you're inside the field, the appropriate transmissions that it targets are stopped, and hence circuitry is shut down. Even a simple battery and copper wire arrangement can be stopped by the field.

On Null Absolution on the other hand it simply dissolves unformed raw mana. It doesn't effect materialized mana though - thus Null Absolution doesn't dissolve barrier jackets on contact

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 08:24   Link #6625
Jimmy C

But Rein isn't electronic, so Absouute Judgement wouldn't have any effect on her any more than it would a human.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 08:26   Link #6626
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
The timeline is troubling. For number 13 to be recovered four years before StrikerS throws a huge wrench in the plot, which had cyborgs be a secret until the day off episode.
I don't think Subaru's being a borg was a total secret. It was something that only a few people knew about yes, like say Teana, the tech crew and the commanders, but its not like Subaru was outright denying the truth nor was she telling the world she was a borg. This was how I intend to introduce Kaprika, as another member of Riot 6 Drake Squad, and only until it is her arc that the others learn of her mechanization.

Riot 6 also knew that Jail had made the technology viable 26 years before 0075, so what's the problem of Karl intercepting a suspicious transport traced to Jail containing just Trieze? Trieze herself only knows that her body is a catalogue of almost every Inherent Skill known and she is a defence program meant to protect it. From her time prior to her rescue, Kaprika can only recall memories that Kia put in her, and none of them mentioned Jail, or the Numbers even once; they were of the times before Kia was "slain". So they know basically nothing new from Kaprika.

*I know this doesn't make sense... Many plot elements have been hidden to avoid spoilers, otherwise the fun of Kia's plans will be ruined!*

Any other problems I might've missed or made a mistake?
Old 2009-04-19, 08:34   Link #6627
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
But Rein isn't electronic, so Absouute Judgement wouldn't have any effect on her any more than it would a human.
Ah, partially my mistake. I was working with Null Absolution in the back of my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I don't think Subaru's being a borg was a total secret.
Subaru was not created by Jail. That's where the problem is. The fact that Jail was running around creating cyborgs, or even the fact that there were still people around creating cyborgs after the facility that created Subaru was mopped up, was a big secret to the point where even Zest and Quint were killed to keep that secret. Trieze being discovered and more importantly retrieved punches a huge plothole in that secret, especially if it was done four years before StrikerS.

Quote:
Trieze herself only knows that her body is a catalogue of almost every Inherent Skill known
There is also this. Inherent skills are pretty much shown to be one-trick ponies programmed into the body. If one already makes a cyborg so special, how can she have every IS known?
Old 2009-04-19, 09:01   Link #6628
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Well what do you know I acutally managed to get myself motivated to do some writing.

This is Part One of Chapter Four (as yet untitled beyond that)
Earlier chapters can be located here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...7&postcount=72

This might be a bit rough as I just finished banging it out, but I'm tired and don't really care. Small bits of this are a rehash of some snippets I posted earlier though allot of it is new, total length ended up at about 5.5k words which I think is a fairly good chunk without being insane.

This chapter also marks the first appearance of a third party character in my fic though he doesn't do too much this chapter. I have some others such cameos in the planning stages for later. Anyway there's no action in this bit and I doubt they'll be any in the next segment either as this is the transition chapter that sets up the move into the main plot. Lots of talking basically and a few bits of humor (hopefully) here and there.
Spoiler for Chapter 4.1:

Not much really said I feel the need to comment on thread wise and I'm beat anyway, but I will take this chance to poke Dragon Boy.
Quote:
I'll wait until her wanders in here again then.
Or you could go on IRC where he is nearly everyday and ask him yourself like I did today...

Last edited by Tk3997; 2010-06-19 at 04:33.
Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 09:52   Link #6629
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Subaru was not created by Jail. That's where the problem is. The fact that Jail was running around creating cyborgs, or even the fact that there were still people around creating cyborgs after the facility that created Subaru was mopped up, was a big secret to the point where even Zest and Quint were killed to keep that secret. Trieze being discovered and more importantly retrieved punches a huge plothole in that secret, especially if it was done four years before StrikerS.
Oh so that's the secret! I thot it was more towards "Jail's out there making borgs, just that we can't find him." Yes that would be a problem.

However, this is a problem that's easily fixed. The notion that not only Jail was building borgs helps this.

Quote:
There is also this. Inherent skills are pretty much shown to be one-trick ponies programmed into the body. If one already makes a cyborg so special, how can she have every IS known?
Sigh. Alright you win. -_-

Spoiler for Overload of Technical specs! Read at your own demise!:
Disclaimer: Many plot elements, contrivances and explanations have been hidden to avoid spoilers.

But...

KEROKOOO!!!

Look what you still made me do!!! D=

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2009-04-19 at 10:04.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 10:14   Link #6630
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Tiny little Rein with red cheeks, sweating and breathing heavily...

Yeah, cute indeed.

Quote:
Don't push her too far, or she might fall into her 'heavy-tsun rambling mode:'

Though you'd have to be pushing her really really far to reach this 4 minute ramble record.
Yeah That's quite some tsun

Quote:
The timeline is troubling. For number 13 to be recovered four years before StrikerS throws a huge wrench in the plot, which had cyborgs be a secret until the day off episode.
Yeah, don't make it more confusing than it already is

Besides, why connect to my story? You can just "copy" her (like everyone's been doing with Keroko) and run it on your independent story >_>
Old 2009-04-19, 10:42   Link #6631
stormturmoil
Field Medic

Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
:

Erh, Absolute Judgement is the Anti-Electronic field, the anti-magic field is Null Absolution. And was referring to the former rather than the latter.

While I never did think about the mechanics of Absolute Jdgement much, I see it very much like a signal blocker: it prevents energy transmission whether magical or electric being sent out from one place to another across a metallic or non-organic medium. As long as you're inside the field, the appropriate transmissions that it targets are stopped, and hence circuitry is shut down. Even a simple battery and copper wire arrangement can be stopped by the field.

On Null Absolution on the other hand it simply dissolves unformed raw mana. It doesn't effect materialized mana though - thus Null Absolution doesn't dissolve barrier jackets on contact
Potential Problem with Absolute Judgement: Human (and almost all other organisms too) transmit their nervous impulses via electrical means (electrochemically induced potential differences in the Nerves created by movement of certain Ionic salts causes the buildup of charge, causing a net movement of electrons )

any field that completely blocks Transmission of electrical potential will kill a living organism. Anything that interferes will have a huge deleterious effect on mental processes.

Saying it's limited to non-organic doesn't really help, since at the level we're talking, short of almost sentient level effects, there's no way to tell.

I suggest that rather, you go for the opposite effect, known to 40k fans as Haywire.

That is within the area of effect of the field, any kind of circuitry is subject to randomised induced charges: Living organisms suffer dependent on field intensity, from annoying twitches, difficulty concentrating and headaches at minimum exposure, to the point of crippling migraines, uncontrollable muscle spasms and even seizures

at minimum intensity, machines suffer from glitching, unreliabilty and false readouts, while at maximum intensity, circuits suffer uncontrolled activations, brownouts, overloads and even burnout.

The fun part of this is that the user need not be immune, making this a double edged sword effect: It cripples their enemies, but potentially them as well...

Makes using it a much more strategic affair...it's still a gaembreaker if used right...but it can be a gamble.

just an alternate Idea that you might consider.
stormturmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 11:05   Link #6632
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't see the problem. Saying this technique does not affect organic targets sounds like a perfect failsafe for the problem you're describing, especially in the light of Nanoha already having magic damage that can tear through walls yet leave a target merely knocked out, or vice versa.
Old 2009-04-19, 11:08   Link #6633
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Well what do you know I acutally managed to get myself motivated to do some writing.
Ooh. Looked good on my initial read through. I'll get back to you on the chapter proper once I have more time. And more sleep.
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 11:10   Link #6634
stormturmoil
Field Medic

Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
@Keroko: I'm not saying it can't be handwaved, just offering a potential alternative. I don't necessarily have a preference for how it's handled, just wanted Lowe To be aware of some options.

with that said, following on from last post, a little crack excerpt about how such might manifest.

Spoiler for first encounters...:
stormturmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 11:16   Link #6635
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Kyr: It's pronounced Keer, not Kair. Keer. And who gave you permission to give me nicknames!
????: But it's cuuute... Just look at you. With a name like Kyrie, you can gather enough people to do your work for you... such is the power of MO-

*creator-kun drags ???? away*

Okay enough lolness for now- back to the freezer for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
Your only reaction to that reaction should be "Kyrie Eleison".
*rings a bell*

====

In other news, i'm trying to understand the "magic copy" things here in the thread.

- Trying to explain something.

- Or, I can just say that higher the spell rank, the more power it needs to emulate and it can only be emulated a limited number of times.

yes the key word is emulate

*goes back to thinking*
Old 2009-04-19, 11:55   Link #6636
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

@stormturmoil: There is a reason I wrote "across a metallic or non-organic medium" as part of the overall description of the ability: I don't want it to have the ability to act like a remotely induced neural inhibiter. And like I said, I really didn't think about HOW the ability works, just that I wanted to describe something similar to the effect I was aiming for.

Also, the idea for the IS is that it can be shielded against, since it would be very useless if Yuzu herself is paralyzed by activating her ability (actually this is part of her backstory as well... the first few times the ability was activated, she actually disabled herself - Jail later devised some shielding that was applied to her, her equipment, and to a couple of other cyborgs as well, one of them being Kyr).

The ability itself was inspired by this special ability, from which I'm also taking its visual cue:

Spoiler for Gundam 00 Spoilers:

Though the ability shown in the vids work differently from my IS.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 12:13   Link #6637
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

I hope I changed everything...

Liingo-sama! I did my best!

Nightfall
Chapter 6

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kyral; 2009-04-19 at 14:46.
Kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 14:38   Link #6638
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

After giving Ark's idea some more thought, I've decided to go along with it and give the bullets various settings rather then various types of rounds, and set up a short delay between switching modes for balance reasons. This should also flow a bit better with the Nanoha setting. I think I'm going to drop the jamming round, and replace them with larger generators (wall sticking mine-like kind, I think) that can be scattered to create an advantage. That should fix the radius issue as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post

This is Part One of Chapter Four (as yet untitled beyond that)
Earlier chapters can be located here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...7&postcount=72

This might be a bit rough as I just finished banging it out, but I'm tired and don't really care. Small bits of this are a rehash of some snippets I posted earlier though allot of it is new, total length ended up at about 5.5k words which I think is a fairly good chunk without being insane.

This chapter also marks the first appearance of a third party character in my fic though he doesn't do too much this chapter. I have some others such cameos in the planning stages for later. Anyway there's no action in this bit and I doubt they'll be any in the next segment either as this is the transition chapter that sets up the move into the main plot. Lots of talking basically and a few bits of humor (hopefully) here and there.
Spoiler for Chapter 4.1:

Not much really said I feel the need to comment on thread wise and I'm beat anyway, but I will take this chance to poke Dragon Boy.
Or you could go on IRC where he is nearly everyday and ask him yourself like I did today...
As usual, the Felix/Vita moments were very amusing. O'Neil also shows once again that you can combine being a good general and a jackass to your subordinates at the same time.

I do wonder what those drones were looking for though... as well as what the damn text is saying. Such is the peril of the to be continued.

Quote:
Oh so that's the secret! I thot it was more towards "Jail's out there making borgs, just that we can't find him." Yes that would be a problem.

However, this is a problem that's easily fixed. The notion that not only Jail was building borgs helps this.
Like I said, the fact that there were still people around creating cyborgs after the facility that created Subaru was mopped up, was a big secret to the point where even Zest and Quint were killed to keep that secret. I really really doubt that a cyborg that was found in a transport would not simply 'disappear' considering the risk she caries for Regius and the High Counsil.

Quote:
Spoiler for Overload of Technical specs! Read at your own demise!:
Disclaimer: Many plot elements, contrivances and explanations have been hidden to avoid spoilers.

But...

KEROKOOO!!!

Look what you still made me do!!! D=
So... if I understand this right, she can't use them because the power knocks her out for a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
????: But it's cuuute... Just look at you. With a name like Kyrie, you can gather enough people to do your work for you... such is the power of MO-

*creator-kun drags ???? away*

Okay enough lolness for now- back to the freezer for you.

Kyr:
Keep him frozen, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
I hope I changed everything...

Liingo-sama! I did my best!

Nightfall
Chapter 6

Spoiler:
Mwehehe, more evil Neltharion and Carnage fix. :3 I do wonder what it was that punched through there... a new face? Or a heroic face returning?
Old 2009-04-19, 20:46   Link #6639
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
*wanders in*

Spoiler for Kaiser Knights:

Spoiler for To EvaXGouki:

*wanders out cackling*
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 22:25   Link #6640
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
And in the spirit of Boredom, I release this.

Spoiler for False Triggerheart : Faintear Mirror Ver 0.5:

It is only a matter of time before she and her allies crosses the border into Ordered Space...

Comments? suggestions? What?

*folds away to do some real things*

OCTOCP

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content