AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-09-07, 11:54   Link #81
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

To be honest... I wouldn't really care if the game doesn't have much endgame to speak off. PvP is a given, so that's something to entertain myself with, and I hardly ever (as in really hardly ever) do raids in the MMO's I play now, so I wouldn't miss them one bit if they're gone.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 16:41   Link #82
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

In other news, we finally have gameplay footage of the trooper!

Now the Empire needs to come out with something really cool if they want me to roll an Imperial character...
Old 2009-09-08, 15:29   Link #83
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Very awesome.

Republic Trooper and Sith Warrior are my favorites atm
Old 2009-09-09, 15:32   Link #84
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm hoping they'll confirm my hopes and release the Imperial Agent next. Those guys are looking slick.
Old 2009-10-12, 12:01   Link #85
tkdtiger

Im waiting to get more information on star trek on line and the old republic to decide which I'm going to play. It's a hard decision sto looks good and I have always been a fan of knights of the old republic...
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 04:44   Link #86
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I would have rather them made another single-player RPG.

At least this isn't purple elves fighting internet dragons, but I have a strong feeling that it's going to devolve to the same kind of EverQuest-derived raiding structure, like every other MMORPG released recently.

Some developers have tried different tacks, but nothing ever seems to sell as well as the old "kill the dragon to get loot to kill the stronger dragon to get loot to kill the even stronger dragon" formula that every online RPG since EQ has used.

I'm not sure this mold will ever get broken, because it's the only one that seems to be commercially successful.
Old 2009-10-21, 05:12   Link #87
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*shrug* As long as they keep giving us entertaining story, I quite honestly couldn't care less where or how the 'phatest lewt' can be found. The main problem with virtually any MMO is that non-raid content stops at the level cap. After that it's just raid, raid, raid. Every patch, after patch. If Bioware manages to actually give more quests and story to keep people sinking their teeth in, I'll be happy. I'm going to play this game alongside my friends for the story, not the standard 'get to the level cap as fast as you can, then raid for gear' setup.
Old 2009-10-21, 05:19   Link #88
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It's difficult to make such a multiplayer game have plot without heavy instancing and phasing, which makes the game not seem even like a multiplayer game and you wonder why you're paying $15 a month to play it.

Most online RPGs go with the "you are a small cog in the workings of an enormous machine" approach that works with these limited resources.

In my opinion no MMORPG is using the medium the way it should. The content should be provided by the players, not the developers. The developers should create a framework, a world, a sandbox, and then let the players have fun building and destroying it.

I would play this game if it was not WoW-alike "go kill 20 stormtroopers and bring me their ass-plates" which I am sure it will probably be.

If it was just, "okay, you can do anything you want, build anything you want, kill anyone you want, go anywhere you want, have fun" that would be different. I would play this game if the content was 100% player driven, just a wide open sandbox of worlds where the Jedi and the Republic fight against the Sith while trying to survive and make a living.

But it is probably just level grinding and then gear grinding at the cap.

It's too bad because the perfect online RPG would just be a persistent, morphable world with the players dropped in and left to their own devices.
Old 2009-10-21, 05:42   Link #89
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

If we are going to be paying $15 a month to play it, that is. Neither the payment method nor the price has been decided yet. I agree that this will be instance heavy, every conversation alone will already play out in a mini instance, but then I don't mind that. When I play MMO's online I usually play either alone or with a few friends, and those few friends I can still play with. If the tradeoff then is that I get a deep interactive story in return for my solitude, then I'm scrambling for a pen to sign.

Now as for a full sandbox MMO... ironically, they already tried that. It didn't work out well. Simple fact is, players want content. They don't want to install a game and then have to create the game themselves. Star Wars: Galaxies proved that the market for a sandbox Star Wars MMO is small. Not to mention there's not much of a reason for Bioware to create a sandbox Star Wars MMO if there already is one in the field, is there?

Sure, for the traditional MMO player this game is going to be 'skip the story, rush to the cap, grind for gear' but then those people are, frankly, missing the point of this game, which is providing a deep and engaging story wrapped in an MMO package.
Old 2009-10-21, 05:55   Link #90
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

If it's not a sandbox I'm not interested, I'll stick to single player RPGs that don't have monthly fees and don't beat my favorite classes with the nerf bat every patch.

The whole concept of a persistent world that doesn't reset every time you close the game is just totally wasted by all of this instancing, phasing, respawning and resulting in a Perpetually Static World.

No thanks, if I blow up a building I want that building to stay blow'd up until someone fixes it!

Edit: "deep and engaging story" and "massively multiplayer online RPG" in the same sentence really sounds ridiculous... especially considering this is Bioware we're talking about, who writes moral dilemmas in such a hamfisted politically-aware manner that it's almost comical. (Maybe it's intended to be?)

Seriously KOTOR1 could be summed up as: if you want to play Light Side, act like a Democrat, if you want to play Dark Side act like a Republican.
Old 2009-10-21, 07:13   Link #91
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If it's not a sandbox I'm not interested, I'll stick to single player RPGs that don't have monthly fees and don't beat my favorite classes with the nerf bat every patch.

Have fun with the single player games then =\
Old 2009-10-21, 07:36   Link #92
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
If it's not a sandbox I'm not interested,
Yes, well, then obviously this game won't interest you, no. I would advice giving the trial to Star Wars: Galaxies a try then. Despite all the flak it has received -and still receives- it's a pretty decent game. And one giant sandbox too.

Quote:
No thanks, if I blow up a building I want that building to stay blow'd up until someone fixes it!
Er... that's what phasing is for, no?

Quote:
Edit: "deep and engaging story" and "massively multiplayer online RPG" in the same sentence really sounds ridiculous...
How so? WoW does it, if one bothers to read the quest text. All TOR does is make it bigger, bring it more to the forefront, give it voice acting, and make it interactive. Like KotoR, but online. I fail to see why an MMORPG with story sounds ridiculous.

Quote:
especially considering this is Bioware we're talking about, who writes moral dilemmas in such a hamfisted politically-aware manner that it's almost comical. (Maybe it's intended to be?)

Seriously KOTOR1 could be summed up as: if you want to play Light Side, act like a Democrat, if you want to play Dark Side act like a Republican.
*shrug* True. KotoR was very black-and-white in that regard. It was also created during a time when a constant barrage of moral choices in a game was a relatively new thing. Have you tried Mass Effect? Also created by Bioware, that game allows you to not only play it dark or light, but also walk a grey line.
Old 2009-10-21, 08:50   Link #93
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*shrug* True. KotoR was very black-and-white in that regard. It was also created during a time when a constant barrage of moral choices in a game was a relatively new thing. Have you tried Mass Effect? Also created by Bioware, that game allows you to not only play it dark or light, but also walk a grey line.
I played both Mass Effect and KOTOR I & II, and honestly speaking, ME makes KOTOR look totally bullshit.

Ever played a Sentinel with the Assault Rifle extra talent? That is what I called incredible. KOTOR is pretty much lightsaber hacking and skill throwing, and that pretty makes things boring.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 09:58   Link #94
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I liked both systems, though Mass Effect definitely had faster combat I'm more of an RPG person than a shooter person.

Though yes, overall Mass Effect is a better game. Deeper choices, thinner moral line, superior graphics, more varied models (KotoR used the same models with slight tweaks over and over, making people look like twins of twins of twins if you took the time to notice). But then, there's also 4 years and a next generation of consoles between the two games, so that hardly a surprise.

But I don't think a Mass Effect style combat system would work in TOR. I mean, for ranged combat, sure, but close combat would end up looking like Jedi Knight, and that I want to avoid at all costs.
Old 2009-10-21, 10:59   Link #95
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Yes, well, then obviously this game won't interest you, no. I would advice giving the trial to Star Wars: Galaxies a try then. Despite all the flak it has received -and still receives- it's a pretty decent game. And one giant sandbox too.
Giant?! PFFFT! SwG is far beyond giant from almost anywhere housing to flying in space. its the 2nd biggest MMO sandbox next to EVE.

if theres a MMO with a Giant sandbox, that would be WoW.
Old 2009-10-31, 11:57   Link #96
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Well, it was not really a surprise and only a matter of time but they finaly revealed the "Jedi Knight" class.

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/jedi-knight
Old 2009-10-31, 12:11   Link #97
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

On the bright side: That means that the next class reveal is finally going to settle at least one of the many class debates.
Old 2009-11-07, 10:56   Link #98
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Yeah pretty much. The Jedi was no surprise so it seems they decided to reveal the next class.

The Imperial Agent

Seems to be the counterpart of the smuggler.
Old 2009-11-07, 12:26   Link #99
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, looks like my main is decided.
Old 2009-11-07, 18:48   Link #100
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Actually, Most of the players adored Galaxies. It had a strong, loyal following for years. Till they decided to change it up to be more like WoW.

The problem is every MMO wants to be WoW, They want to have that million+ subscriber base...Which is constantly gaining and losing players. Instead of just being happy with that 500k extremely loyal fanbase. Similar to EvE Online.

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows