AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2013-04-17, 11:18   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
"Artist Challenge" Thread on Fan Creations Subforum.

This was an idea I recently had.

We have a fair number of really good artists here on Anime Suki. The current approach is that each artist gets one thread to put his or her work in.

I can see value in artists not splitting up their work through numerous threads, as it could make it hard for people to navigate the subforum.

However, I do have an idea here that I think might allow for some new and interesting possibilities.

Why not create a stickied "Artist Challenge" thread for the Fan Creations Subforum? Anybody could post an "Artist Challenge" into this thread, and artists could decide whether or not to give it a go.

The artistic challenge could be something like "Can you draw characters from Anime ABC cosplaying as characters from Anime XYZ?" or "Can you draw a romantic picture between Anime Characters D and G?" or even "Can you draw these anime characters in a cross-over situation with these characters from other media?"

Anybody could make these artistic challenges, including artists themselves.

Personally, I think this could be a lot of fun! I myself have a few ideas for "Artist Challenges" that I'd love to put out there (gradually over time).

So, what do people here think?
Old 2013-04-17, 14:06   Link #2
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I really don't see why this wouldn't be doable. There's already a thread for avatar requests and one for signature requests, so one for art commissions in general shouldn't be too farfetched a suggestion.

Plus there's the fact I always feel weird about taking time out of people's days to ask for things like this, so it'd benefit me in particular because the only people who would really be looking are artists who are looking for something to do anyway.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 15:31   Link #3
Seitsuki
Onee!

There used to be Artist of the Month threads. Those died, simply because there just weren't enough artists for it to be viable (the last few months had <4/5 entries, all the same people, all of whom are no longer active here).

Unlike graphics (sigs and the like) original artwork generally takes longer, more dedication, and an actual investment (tablet/proper pens etc.) All of which adds up to a higher barrier for entry, which is why you are unlikely to find many artists outside of somewhere actually dedicated to art. I'm not saying it would be impossible, just don't.. expect spetacular results.

That said I do love the idea. I'm just rather pessimistic about the support.
Old 2013-04-18, 12:09   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Currently, we do not have a thread were people could request things such as wallpapers or drawings and I wouldn't be so against the idea of having something like that.

At the same time however, what Seitsuki mentions is true. Many of the artists that used to post in FC are no longer active and many request/challanges could easily go unnoticed because of this.
Old 2013-04-18, 21:28   Link #5
Seitsuki
Onee!

I still think it's probably for the best on principle. Since artwork can't be churned out like sigs, having a whole bunch of threads that are updated maybe once a month seems like a waste, and likely discourages quite a few from posting at all. Grouping them up seems like the most viable solution.
Old 2013-04-19, 00:26   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Currently, we do not have a thread were people could request things such as wallpapers or drawings and I wouldn't be so against the idea of having something like that.

At the same time however, what Seitsuki mentions is true. Many of the artists that used to post in FC are no longer active and many request/challanges could easily go unnoticed because of this.
Maybe a general "Drawings/Wallpapers" stickied thread would be nice, if you think the term "Artist Challenge" is a bit too dramatic.

This "Drawings/Wallpapers" thread would work much like the Avatar and Sigs thread do - People would make requests, and then wait/hope for them to be completed by someone. In this case, of course, people would have to be very patient, lol.

But I definitely think it could be fun. Worth a try at least.
Old 2013-04-19, 04:39   Link #7
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

How about AnimeSuki Drawfriends Thread? (There have been 400+ threads of these in /a/ which compose of people requesting other people to draw a particular anime character.)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 06:15   Link #8
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
How about AnimeSuki Drawfriends Thread? (There have been 400+ threads of these in /a/ which compose of people requesting other people to draw a particular anime character.)
Most people can draw with pencil and paper... but not all has a "pen", photoshop and a scanner....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 08:06   Link #9
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Eh, no need to dishearten those who have little resources for participating.
Hell, I have a graphics tablet, Photoshop and a scanner, but I don't trust my drawing skills.

That said, the sheer number of participants would be the challenge for this proposal. We all know what happened in the Signature of the Month contest.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 10:56   Link #10
Azuma Denton
~AD~

I like Triple_R idea. I know several people on another forum that start idea like Triple_R. Now they have build a doujin circle and one of them even get a job illustrating for a mobile game company in Japan.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 12:22   Link #11
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

This artist idea is nice, but hey, how about that banner competition as well? :9
Old 2013-04-21, 03:39   Link #12
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I would love some banner/signature competitions being brought back in.
Old 2013-04-21, 12:42   Link #13
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I would love some banner/signature competitions being brought back in.
I agree for the signature competitions, since everyone can have its own.
However, I would keep the banner-working in the hands of AnimeSuki Staff, since the banners are shown to everyone, plus, in my opinion, I think the Staff is already doing really good job and there is quite a lot of banners shown/displayed as well.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 14:34   Link #14
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
This artist idea is nice, but hey, how about that banner competition as well? :9
We're due for another, aren't we? I do see we have nice pink ones now though.
Old 2013-04-22, 16:33   Link #15
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
We're due for another, aren't we? I do see we have nice pink ones now though.
Yup, fits nice by bringing back last Spring's banners-nice touch. We do definitely need some new ones though.
Old 2013-04-22, 23:08   Link #16
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Yeah, we're still planning to do the 10th anniversary contest. We got bogged down in some details, and recently I've been devoting time to some other projects, but hopefully we'll come back to it shortly.

We also need to do a summer contest at some point too to complete the season set.
Old 2013-04-23, 02:27   Link #17
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yeah, we're still planning to do the 10th anniversary contest.
Increase the cash prize....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 23:21   Link #18
Suomi
Kaiba

Once upon a time we had a Signature of the Month contest too. I really enjoyed that, but it kind of died due to inactivity on all counts.
I think since we have more new and budding artists now though, it would be fun to try again.

I also like the idea of a drawings/wallpapers thread.
Old 2013-06-30, 11:13   Link #19
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

I think it is time to continue the banner contest that was postponed before, since the missing one is the summer season banner do we?

Just post a sticky like thread to advertise to every sub-forum so that many people will be informed including the artists and designers who are currently hibernating and lurking.
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2013-06-30, 12:44   Link #20
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Just wanted to add that we currently do have threads in which you may request Avatars and Signatures.
Creating a thread in which you could request various wallpapers seems like a nice "combo" of the three.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote