AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-09-21, 08:58   Link #2041
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
this may sound cold but

why does some people recognize the ones who have lost more than the ones who have won???
it happenes to me once, I won and said to my opponent that it's life, you can do better next time and may have a chance and then I said sorry too but the person cried but didn't hate me
I was releived
I'm not sure that your question makes sense.
Old 2008-09-21, 09:58   Link #2042
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
why does some people recognize the ones who have lost more than the ones who have won???
Remember: Only purposeful questions may be posted here.
Why do people give more attention to the ones that lost? they don't. You just gave a very ambigous and wierd example.
Old 2008-09-21, 11:08   Link #2043
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Not even sure it was an example, just a random anecdote which made no sense. It's quite the opposite, people recognize and admire those who are successful. Read Winners and Losers by Sydney J. Harris. A few comparisons selected from the book:

-When a Winner makes a mistake he says "I was wrong," when a Loser makes a mistake he says "It wasn't my fault."
-A Winner learns from his mistakes. A Loser learns not to make mistakes by not trying anything different.
-A Loser believes in Fate. A Winner believes that we make our fate by what we do or fail to do.
-A Winner stops talking when he has made his point. A Loser goes on until he has blunted his point.
-A Winner in the end gives more than he takes. A Loser dies clinging to the illusion that winning means taking more than you give.

There.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 06:50   Link #2044
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Or really... just ask, who won the bronze in the recent Olympics?

Losers get remembered more than winners? Only if it was of such magnificent fail that the mind astounds from the sheer audacity of it. A winner of fail, so to speak.

Cheers.
Old 2008-09-22, 08:08   Link #2045
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Or really... just ask, who won the bronze in the recent Olympics?
There's so much wrong with this assertion I don't even know where to begin.

The fact that you don't understand how much it means for a sportsman to even be able to sit atop a podium in the Olympic games says much about your understanding of sports in general.

I hope you never get the chance to celebrate a bronze medal.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 08:28   Link #2046
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah. The right question is, "Who got fourth?". Of course, I don't even know who got gold, but whatever.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-22, 10:47   Link #2047
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
There's so much wrong with this assertion I don't even know where to begin.

The fact that you don't understand how much it means for a sportsman to even be able to sit atop a podium in the Olympic games says much about your understanding of sports in general.

I hope you never get the chance to celebrate a bronze medal.
Never was much of a sports-guy so it matters little to me. Besides, seriously... who really remembers the bronze winners? It's the Gold medallists that get most of the glory, recognition, and a place in the history books.

Cheers.
Old 2008-09-22, 11:06   Link #2048
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

But then, Italian football squad still traveling in 1st class after being defeated off the tourney while their gold winner (I forgot which event - never interested in Olympic) travelled home in business class

Totally OT, but I just have to poke in
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 03:05   Link #2049
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

I think you guys get the wrong idea of my question gomen, it is rather confusing

but thanks for the replies :]

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 11:10   Link #2050
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
How do you call those structures you have in a garden, usually a big garden like one that belongs to a noble or something, it would be like a stage platform where they would sit and it has a roof over the op but no walls just pillars around it to keep the roof up, think drinking tea in an oversized English old century garden... I forgot what those thinsg are called
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 11:14   Link #2051
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'm not a native english speaker. But anyway, gazebo perhaps?
Old 2008-09-23, 11:33   Link #2052
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

For some reason, gazebo made me lol.. due to a certain joke

but yes.. gazebo is what you looking for
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 11:33   Link #2053
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I'm not a native english speaker. But anyway, gazebo perhaps?
yep thats it X3 thanks Catz
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 17:45   Link #2054
Tiberium Wolf

Can anyone tell me how the stock market works? A company put like X shares for sale. Other ppl buy it. Who get's the money? Having share % gives u what? Is buying cheap and selling high the only way to get money?
Old 2008-09-23, 18:04   Link #2055
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Can anyone tell me how the stock market works? A company put like X shares for sale. Other ppl buy it. Who get's the money? Having share % gives u what? Is buying cheap and selling high the only way to get money?
The very basics of it is that a company makes shares available. This is "stock in the company" - it's nothing physical, but represents ownership of the company. The money is somewhat a form of venture capital, and the money goes directly to the company. I believe every quarter or so, some companies provide payouts to their shareholders. It's generally a very small amount - a few cents (if not a fraction of a cent) per share. This differs between companies, I believe.

Shareholders don't make their money off of the payouts, in general. Instead, they buy stock in the company and then wait. When the company is performing well, the market speculation drives the prices of the stock higher - that is, there's a greater demand/interest in the company. People can then sell the stock that they own and make a profit. On the other hand, owning stock in a company that fails, or selling stock at a lower price than you bought it for, will result in a monetary loss.
Old 2008-09-24, 00:42   Link #2056
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf
Is buying cheap and selling high the only way to get money?
No, you can also sell high and buy low. This is called short selling, which usually has the effect of driving a company's stock downwards. Speculators usually short-sell when the market is moving against the company's favour. Morgan Stanley's share price, for example, took a beating due to rampant short selling after news of Merill Lynch and Lehman Brother's collapse broke.

Quote:
A company put like X shares for sale. Other ppl buy it. Who get's the money?
The issuing company gets the money only at the first instance of issuing the shares, most usually at it initial public offering (IPO), ie, when the firm first gets listed on the stock market.

Subsequently, shareholders trade the shares they own on the stock market, same as how you might trade collector cards between your friends. In these cases, whatever money made or lost from the trade goes to the shareholder, not the company.

Quote:
Having share % gives u what?
Theoretically, owning a company's shares gives you the right to vote on the company's board meetings. But minority shareholders, such as you and I, are highly unlikely to hold anywhere near enough shares to have any significant voting power - major decisions such as electing the chairman of the board or appointing the company's CEO would be made by institutional investors, ie, huge organisations that usually own a double-digit percentage of the company.

But all shareholders will get a copy of the company's annual report, which publishes figures on the company's performance, including its balance sheet, profit & loss statement and cash-flow statement. Such information gives you a better ability to judge how well (or not) the company is doing and what it intends to do in the future.

And lastly, all shareholders will usually get dividends from owning shares in a company. Dividends are essentially a part of the company's operating profit, shared among its "owners".
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 00:43   Link #2057
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
In Seto No Hanayome. San has her little chivalrious moments every so often when sakura blossoms are flowing in the wind with the spot light beaming down on her from a vertical position. Is there a name for that scene?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 07:07   Link #2058
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
In Seto No Hanayome. San has her little chivalrious moments every so often when sakura blossoms are flowing in the wind with the spot light beaming down on her from a vertical position. Is there a name for that scene?
見得 (みえ, mie). See: http://wsu.edu/~dee/KABUKI/MIE.HTM
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 08:00   Link #2059
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

Hm...quick question.. is there any way to view the individual frames in a animated gif? Opening the .gif in photoshop doesn't help =( It just shows me the first frame.
Scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-24, 08:58   Link #2060
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Your opening it wrong. Try:
File → Import → Video Frames to Layer → (type *.*) → (select file) → Ok

Tags
problem, q&a, serious