AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 4 11.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 32.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 23.53%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 20.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-14, 13:17   Link #61
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
You just mentioned Marina twice
high 5, brother!

Myself also disappointed that Jane isn't able to feature in the anime. Her volatile nature could add a lot in this nice& easy-going squad. Didn't play the game but fell in love with her personality in just 1~2 pages of action in the manga.
I use Marina in every mission as long as I need a sniper.
Old 2009-06-14, 13:27   Link #62
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
One golden rule in Japanese: don't ever rely too much on how they pronounce foreign words/names, because they can turn into things you would HARDLY imagine with the actual spelling VS the romaji...
True.
Pretty much a given that both versions of the name are possible. I still think of it more as 'Michael' as I heard Mikhail said in other animes and there the japanese tend to say it with the k more hard.
But yeah, maybe we got a voice actor who pronounces it like that.

The only japanese voice actor I trust in western name pronounciation is Tesuya Kakihara.
Old 2009-06-14, 13:41   Link #63
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
The music piece they played at the Alicia x Welkin scene. Is this melody also featured in the game or is it an anime original?
You mean when they are talking in front of the fireplace? That's an anime original irc; I don't recognise it from the game's OST.
Old 2009-06-14, 14:08   Link #64
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i guess it was a decent replacement for the Woods development. i found it enjoyable how Welkin was so innocent towards Alicia's "advances." they were a bit out of character, but a show needs fanservice right?

and i might have forgotten because its been a while since i watched ep 8, but didin't they say they were going to Fouzen or something?
Old 2009-06-14, 14:20   Link #65
Barbobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
You mean when they are talking in front of the fireplace? That's an anime original irc; I don't recognise it from the game's OST.
I'm pretty sure the song played in front of the fireplace was Beautiful Gallia from the OST.
Old 2009-06-14, 14:35   Link #66
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbobot View Post
I'm pretty sure the song played in front of the fireplace was Beautiful Gallia from the OST.
Yeah you're right. It plays Beautiful Gallia at first when Welkin is at the window and then switches to an anime original when they are sitting together and talking about their past.
I thought it was "Quiet Chat" at first but that one also sounds different (this one is played at the end of the episode when they walk back to their squad though).

Last edited by don_Durandal; 2009-06-14 at 14:43. Reason: short memory lapse
Old 2009-06-14, 15:28   Link #67
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'm really not surprised they're not featuring Jane in this, i mean she's a blood craving maniac. Of course i find that hot as hell, though i can't see it playing out well with a good deal of fans. A shame really.
That was only in battle though...and she had a good reason to be so...
and seeing how much battles have been "animated" so far.....l don't see why they didn't add her.

Quote:
You just mentioned Marina twice
high 5, brother!
lulz.
:::high fives:::
Old 2009-06-14, 16:50   Link #68
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbobot View Post
Gleam seems to be correct. He says it like Mikhail instead of Michael. Mikhail is just the russian counterpart to Michael anway and considering that the Empire takes up the area of Eastern Europe and where Russia would be it makes sense.
And how would you epxlain the surname? Weber is not a typical eastern/russian surname with exception of people living in GSA.

Nonetheless both are the same meaning. But I foresure will look other translation if they made the same translation.
Old 2009-06-15, 10:21   Link #69
owq

Dead man walking...

But it sure was sad, when that guy died..
Old 2009-06-15, 14:04   Link #70
Captain Roronoa Zoro

congrates to welkin for turning her down...using those eyes to lure him in. Shameless!
Old 2009-06-15, 15:42   Link #71
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Just episode 10 i honestly really liked it.

To be brief i liked it because it reminded us of all our mortality, dreams, feelings, hopes and disappointments as humans not just soldiers. Hearing the wounded soldiers story was actually touching as he saw that war is not glorious its messy and ugly so we are reminded of how horrible war is. We also had some good WelkinxAlicia time even though brief.

Though not much happened i believe the mentality aspect far out weighs there not being really action. I love when animes try to do at least one episode like this to bring us back to reality (ironic huh? anime and reality)
Old 2009-06-15, 16:20   Link #72
Diazt3r

yep this episode has many underlying themes that I LOVE about anime series. (ie the enemy putting the safety pin on the gernade before he passed out b/c they had found something in common: they were human.
I have played the game and yes there is like 1/8 of the action in this anime but guess what thats a game and this isn't. The plot is sorta confusing but hopefully it will clarify soon.

Only 10 episodes in but i have alot of hope for this anime
Old 2009-06-15, 17:03   Link #73
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I haven't posted much about this series, but after catching up on about 4-5 episodes, I feel a need to express my opinion about it .

Now, I must say that this show isn't what I would call bad, nor is it a show that I would call good. Yet, I do not know if I would really call this show average either. Yes, apparently I am left without an opinion it. If I stopped watching it now, I doubt I'd care too much. I wouldn't care much if I continued to watch it as well.

This is an unusual reaction for me, as I can usually tell if I truly like a show or not. Regardless, I see this as slightly negative, because in the end, I won't be able to feel like it was a good experience watching this show.

My interest was peaked a little bit a couple of episodes ago, however, and I have stayed mostly positive since then. I think I finally realized what my issue was with it, and it was the fact that this show lacked what I would call a "personality."

But in the recent episodes, it is finally getting some color, and this relieves me because I can finally react properly to the show.

That said, I liked this episode, not because of the Wilken X Alicia scenes, as the relationship lacks substance so far, but because of the potrayal of the realities of war. This is something that can truly give the show character, and allows the viewers to explore the characters. I give this episode a 7/10.
Old 2009-06-15, 22:50   Link #74
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Just episode 10 i honestly really liked it.

To be brief i liked it because it reminded us of all our mortality, dreams, feelings, hopes and disappointments as humans not just soldiers. Hearing the wounded soldiers story was actually touching as he saw that war is not glorious its messy and ugly so we are reminded of how horrible war is. We also had some good WelkinxAlicia time even though brief.

Though not much happened i believe the mentality aspect far out weighs there not being really action. I love when animes try to do at least one episode like this to bring us back to reality (ironic huh? anime and reality)
totally agree with ya. A very good episode in all aspects. And it seems Welkin finally has met someone he considers "female"? That embarrassed expression of his is priceless.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-06-16, 08:24   Link #75
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I don't know if I can watch this bloody show anymore. As a die hard fan of the game the way they've gone about this is an insult to me.

It had the potential to be such a serious and thought provoking show. Instead it's just a showcase of stupid expressions and unexciting character development episodes.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-06-16, 12:30   Link #76
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
I don't know if I can watch this bloody show anymore. As a die hard fan of the game the way they've gone about this is an insult to me.

It had the potential to be such a serious and thought provoking show. Instead it's just a showcase of stupid expressions and unexciting character development episodes.
Thats understandable this situation arises constantly in anime based of videogames or hell even manga. Everyone apporaches it differently i tend to take an anime based off anything as an anime and try not to compare it to the original the result is just disappointment and general dislike for the series in general.

I would suggest taking as an anime only and not compare it to the anime but you seem to dislike to the anime pure and simple. It just might not get any better for you.
Old 2009-06-17, 00:52   Link #77
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I was hoping that the anime would showcase the "non-battle" aspects of the war. While combat is an integral part of war, it's not the whole story.
Old 2009-06-17, 08:20   Link #78
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I haven't even watched this episode yet because I was waiting for my usual subs. Didn't realize they'd dropped it... got the replacements last night and I'll try and watch them today.

Having played the game (2nd time through right now, actually) I doubt there'd be much that could be spoiled for me, so...

I get the feeling this episode won't make me feel any better about the series. Without expressly going into it, I have to say the comments so far about this anime being disappointing are true for me as well. I just cannot get up for this anime. The game was basically perfect in every respect and this anime is... decidedly not. Something I've said a hundred times already: the character designs are still weird to me. I think they differ too much. Isara is especially creepy looking. From what I can glean from this topic, I get the feeling that one of the best chapters of the game is going to get ruined... I hope it's not that bad.

Too much, really, has been changed for me. Few things even tell me that the stories are related anymore.

I'll do my best to get through this series to the end, but for right now it's not getting a passing grade in my book.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-06-17, 10:37   Link #79
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, maybe you should actually see the episode, before commenting on its thread, then?

Old 2009-06-17, 11:16   Link #80
Unknown Soldier
:D

If the anime were just like the game, it would absolutely suck.

Yeah, I said it.
Closed Thread