AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-07, 17:15   Link #5341
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

US politicians complain that Japanese "cash for clunkers" equivalent doesn't subsidize any US built models.

Note that the article fails doesn't go into much detail on why US made vehicles don't qualify - the subsidy only applies to new vehicles that get 35.5MPG in Japanese government testing. Unlike some European companies, US automakers don't have the fuel efficiency of their cars tested in Japan, instead opting for small volume exemptions.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-01-07, 18:42   Link #5342
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
But also, doesn't the US gallon differ to the imperial gallon? That's what i was told, but still shouldn't make much of a difference. Perhaps exchange rate issues?
Old 2010-01-08, 06:31   Link #5343
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The U.S has 2 gallons, the liquid gallon which is 3.785 litres, and the dry gallon which is 4.405 litres.

The Imperial gallon is 4.546 litres. Since it is volumetric difference of liquid, there is a margin of 0.62 litres, and that is slightly more than a handy bottle of pepsi (not the big one which is 1.5 litres).

By ratio and proportion, it could have costed alot since fuel prices are hiking towards US$100 per bbl. But I don't think this could have been an issue with the fuel, but rather industrial protection because US is losing local jobs opportunities due to reduced investment and exports.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-01-08, 07:56   Link #5344
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Aren't the japanese using the metric system anyway? Their testing should give results in liter per 100km, which make any argument on the value of the gallon moot.
Old 2010-01-08, 09:51   Link #5345
Crontica

A Plane.. crashed in New York City.. because planes are allowed to fly BELOW BUILDING LEVEL!? Has 9/11 thought them NOTHING!?
Old 2010-01-08, 10:49   Link #5346
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Aren't the japanese using the metric system anyway? Their testing should give results in liter per 100km, which make any argument on the value of the gallon moot.
My hazard guess is that US autos are like the Abrams tank : it consumes more fuel. Either that or their auto makes do not fall into the restrictions of the Kyoto Protocol, due to the fact that although US is a signatory, it had not ratified it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-01-08, 16:46   Link #5347
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
The myki mess, times 30000

And i just had mine delivered...looks like the cards are being recalled, and it seems that some are being sent to deceased war veterans.
Old 2010-01-09, 02:34   Link #5348
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Note that the article fails doesn't go into much detail on why US made vehicles don't qualify - the subsidy only applies to new vehicles that get 35.5MPG in Japanese government testing. Unlike some European companies, US automakers don't have the fuel efficiency of their cars tested in Japan, instead opting for small volume exemptions.
Didn't the Japanese car makers like Honda and Toyota do the best in the U.S. program? But yes, the number of U.S.-made cars by companies like Ford and GM found in Japan is very small relative to the local or even European brands. How many U.S.-made cars would qualify for the program also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
A Plane.. crashed in New York City.. because planes are allowed to fly BELOW BUILDING LEVEL!? Has 9/11 thought them NOTHING!?
What plane crash? There was another one? The sightseeing flights - usually done with helicopters, though - weren't being regulated in the past, I believe, outside of filing flight plans only. There are also small planes piloted by amateur pilots in the airspace as well.

Arrest made in Newark Airport security breach
Quote:
NEWARK, N.J. – The man believed to have caused a security breach that resulted in major delays last weekend at Newark Liberty Airport when he took advantage of a guard's absence to sneak past a checkpoint and walk arm-in-arm with a woman was arrested Friday night at his home, authorities said.
I'm a bit shocked on the statement made by Haisong Jiang's roommate, though, that he [the roommate] "felt Jiang didn't think what he had done was a serious matter."

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2010-01-09, 03:11   Link #5349
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

This happened next door.

Retards Firebomb Church Over Allah Row

Quote:
KUALA LUMPUR: A church in Malaysia has been fire-bombed in an attack that gutted its ground floor, church officials said on Friday, escalating a dispute over the use of the word "Allah" by non-Muslims.

A fire department official said all stations were on alert for more blazes at religious buildings, ahead of planned nationwide protests on Friday by Muslim groups angry over the use of the word as a translation for the Christian "God."

The three-storey Metro Tabernacle church in suburban Kuala Lumpur was set ablaze in the attack which took place around midnight, said church leader Peter Yeow, 62.

"Witnesses saw four people smash the glass and throw incendiaries into the church building. They came on two motorcycles," he told AFP at the scene as fire department forensic officers picked through the wreckage.

There were no casualties in the attack on the church, which occupies the corner lot of a row of shop houses and which Yeow said draws some 1,500 people weekly.

"The fire destroyed the administrative part of the church. We do not know if the prayer hall on the third floor suffered any damage," he said, warning all other churches to "double their guard" against any attacks.

Anuar Harun, who headed the fire department operation, said that forensic experts were working with the police and a canine unit to probe the blaze.

"We are investigating the cause of fire. We cannot provide any more details. It is a sensitive issue," he said when asked if it was a case of arson.

"We have asked all our fire stations to be on alert for such fires on religious premises," he said.

The High Court last week ruled in favour of the Catholic "Herald" newspaper which has used "Allah" as a translation for "God" in its Malay-language section.

The ruling was suspended on Wednesday pending an appeal, after the government argued the decision could cause racial conflict in multicultural Malaysia, where Muslim Malays make up 60 percent of the population.

The security guard at the Metro Tabernacle church, 65-year-old V. Mariappan, said he had just walked away from the main entrance of the building to use the bathroom when the building erupted in flames.

"When I came back, there was a huge fire inside the church building. There was a few loud explosions like bombs exploding," he said, adding he saw two motorcycle helmets lying on the road in flames.
You know what? I fully support the Catholics conducting similar attacks on the mosques. This "Islam vs Christianity" religious conflict has gone a little too far, and it would be good to stoke an all out civil war to guarantee mutually assured destruction between the two religious parties.

No man, no problem. Although the Quran had explicitly stated that it is a sin to attack a place of worship of another person's religion, no matter the gravity of the opposing believer's acts. Protests are fine, but these acts certainly beyond hypocrisy.

Old 2010-01-09, 03:20   Link #5350
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Didn't the Japanese car makers like Honda and Toyota do the best in the U.S. program? But yes, the number of U.S.-made cars by companies like Ford and GM found in Japan is very small relative to the local or even European brands. How many U.S.-made cars would qualify for the program also?

What plane crash? There was another one? The sightseeing flights - usually done with helicopters, though - weren't being regulated in the past, I believe, outside of filing flight plans only. There are also small planes piloted by amateur pilots in the airspace as well.

Arrest made in Newark Airport security breach
I'm a bit shocked on the statement made by Haisong Jiang's roommate, though, that he [the roommate] "felt Jiang didn't think what he had done was a serious matter."
Heh i was referring to the very first post of the thread, the latest security breath is just gold though.
Old 2010-01-09, 11:22   Link #5351
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

You know what? I fully support the Catholics conducting similar attacks on the mosques. This "Islam vs Christianity" religious conflict has gone a little too far, and it would be good to stoke an all out civil war to guarantee mutually assured destruction between the two religious parties.

No man, no problem. Although the Quran had explicitly stated that it is a sin to attack a place of worship of another person's religion, no matter the gravity of the opposing believer's acts. Protests are fine, but these acts certainly beyond hypocrisy.
Looks like I may have to go back to the library and check up on history. TV is not always accurate, but the majority are pointing at christianity as just as evil in the past. (Those who don't believe in god or don't fear god would be treated as heretics and killed. I wouldn't be surprised if that was used as an excuse for the Salem witch hunts.)
Problem is christianity has currently gone soft, not raising a finger to defend themselves preaching nonviolence while 3/4 of the muslims assume that everyone else (including their own who believe in other religions should not exist. I would go along the lines of a holy war and not a civil war because I don't see anything civil between 2 religions. Also it's going to be those who don't actually follow religion who might get in the way if there's a holy war.
Old 2010-01-09, 14:32   Link #5352
mg1942

Contrarian Investor Sees Economic Crash in China

Quote:
James S. Chanos built one of the largest fortunes on Wall Street by foreseeing the collapse of Enron and other highflying companies whose stories were too good to be true.

Now Mr. Chanos, a wealthy hedge fund investor, is working to bust the myth of the biggest conglomerate of all: China Inc.

As most of the world bets on China to help lift the global economy out of recession, Mr. Chanos is warning that China's hyperstimulated economy is headed for a crash, rather than the sustained boom that most economists predict. Its surging real estate sector, buoyed by a flood of speculative capital, looks like "Dubai times 1,000 -- or worse," he frets. He even suspects that Beijing is cooking its books, faking, among other things, its eye-popping growth rates of more than 8 percent.......
Old 2010-01-09, 15:13   Link #5353
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

Quote:
James S. Chanos built one of the largest fortunes on Wall Street by foreseeing the collapse of Enron and other highflying companies whose stories were too good to be true.

Now Mr. Chanos, a wealthy hedge fund investor, is working to bust the myth of the biggest conglomerate of all: China Inc.

As most of the world bets on China to help lift the global economy out of recession, Mr. Chanos is warning that China's hyperstimulated economy is headed for a crash, rather than the sustained boom that most economists predict. Its surging real estate sector, buoyed by a flood of speculative capital, looks like "Dubai times 1,000 -- or worse," he frets. He even suspects that Beijing is cooking its books, faking, among other things, its eye-popping growth rates of more than 8 percent.......
You know, I do see where he's coming from with this. The economy in China has been growing quite fast in the last 10-ish years, but lately, it's been picking up to the point where its growth is at lightspeed. Imo, China's been growing too fast and spreading its resources out so far that the risk it brings with doing that is becoming larger. It's bound to run out of luck real quick if it keeps up. Tbh, I see more potential in India rather than China. India's also been growing but much more steadily. I don't see it getting us out of a recession as soon as China was said to, but at any rate, it's also showing quite a lot of promise. A great many people are overlooking this in light of China's dramatic growth and expansion.
Old 2010-01-09, 15:40   Link #5354
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Gumby creator Art Clokey dies at 88
Quote:
ARTHUR C. Clokey, the creator of Gumby, has died aged 88.

"Art" Clokey, who lived in Los Osos, California, passed away in his sleep.

He is best known for popularizing stop-motion claymation with his children's series Gumby.

At age 9, Clokey was sent to an orphanage following the death of his father and rejection by his stepfather. He was adopted at age 12 by composer Joseph W. Clokey, who later provided music for the artist's work.

Clokey's first foray into claymation was a 1950s student film titled Gumbasia, a parody of Disney's famous Fantasia.

This film attracted the attention of broadcaster NBC, which featured Clokey's work on the Howdy Doody Show before making Gumby a series in 1957.
Clokey reportedly named Gumby after the sticky mud he used to play with as a child, known in Michigan as "gumbo".

Gumby's look was inspired by the Gingerbread Man – first suggested by Clokey's wife, Ruth – and the cowlick hairstyle of Clokey's father in an old photograph, according to National Public Radio.

The show became popular again in the 1980s following a skit by comedian Eddie Murphy on Saturday Night Live.
RIP Sir /salutes I'll always remember Gumby! Truthfully though; when i first started watching gumby as a kid...it was hella freaky, yet i still watched it.
Old 2010-01-09, 16:11   Link #5355
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk View Post

RIP Sir /salutes I'll always remember Gumby! Truthfully though; when i first started watching gumby as a kid...it was hella freaky, yet i still watched it.
I'm sorry that this happened. RIP Arthur Clokey. However, this has to be done:

Spoiler for Obligation:
Old 2010-01-09, 18:39   Link #5356
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk View Post

Aww, too bad. Still, 88 is a long time to live so he probably had a good life.
Old 2010-01-09, 20:08   Link #5357
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Raunchy Hotel Secrets Revealed

Damn we got no shame
Old 2010-01-10, 00:01   Link #5358
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-running.html#

A soldier at Sandhurst who had sex with a 13-year-old girl was spared jail by a woman judge who said the victim was 'precocious' and 'made all the running'.
Nigel Thomson, 41, had sex with the schoolgirl in his room at the officers' academy just a day after a woman officer warned him she was 'dangerous'.
At a sentencing hearing yesterday, Judge Mary Mowat allowed Thomson to walk from Oxford Crown Court with a suspended sentence even though the maximum sentence is 14 years in jail.

could someone UK's crimminal justice system to me. To this outsider it seems like the UK system punish the victim and reward the perpetrator.
Old 2010-01-10, 00:08   Link #5359
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Quote:
[...]As most of the world bets on China to help lift the global economy out of recession, Mr. Chanos is warning that China's hyperstimulated economy is headed for a crash, rather than the sustained boom that most economists predict. Its surging real estate sector, buoyed by a flood of speculative capital, looks like "Dubai times 1,000 -- or worse," he frets. He even suspects that Beijing is cooking its books, faking, among other things, its eye-popping growth rates of more than 8 percent.......
China is likely to be faking the numbers, yes. Internal stability is very important, and external demand of its products will not return to the earlier highs for some time; 2010 will likely to be another bust year for many countries. Many Chinese companies are, compared to Western ones, inefficient, but firing people - esp. in large numbers - will not be easy. Using the extra cash (external investments plus spending the U.S. debt - esp. if it is likely drop in value - it owns now to prop up those companies is the simplest scenario - even though it is likely the worst thing to do long-term.

I'm expecting 2011 to be the start of the bust cycle for China, though. There is a lot of money going into that country now for it to drop this year.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2010-01-10, 00:34   Link #5360
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
Looks like I may have to go back to the library and check up on history. TV is not always accurate, but the majority are pointing at christianity as just as evil in the past. (Those who don't believe in god or don't fear god would be treated as heretics and killed. I wouldn't be surprised if that was used as an excuse for the Salem witch hunts.)
The biggest IvC conflict is still the best known Crusades. Both sides attempt to spread their influences throughout Europe in the name of the same ideology (though interpreted in different means). Though insulting but true, the individual religions' choices of headdresses have pretty much shown the level of their intelligence via their lack of fashion sense.
Quote:
Problem is christianity has currently gone soft, not raising a finger to defend themselves preaching nonviolence while 3/4 of the muslims assume that everyone else (including their own who believe in other religions should not exist. I would go along the lines of a holy war and not a civil war because I don't see anything civil between 2 religions. Also it's going to be those who don't actually follow religion who might get in the way if there's a holy war.
IMHPOV, I feel that it is due to the moderation in which the Christians have taken their religion. If you read carefully, despite all the differences, the Torah, Bible and Quran are all telling the same story, just that it is in different languages and probably, from different points of view. It is only sensible thinking that these stories about God/Allah, Ali Talib/Moses, etc are just fairy tales and not to be taken to the serious extent.

If there is a forcible need for a religion, I would choose Haruhiism. A boring world must be destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
I'm expecting 2011 to be the start of the bust cycle for China, though. There is a lot of money going into that country now for it to drop this year.
Not that early. China is still loaning out the USDs they have stored due to its current volatility and depreciation in value. Once they have traded out all their USDs, they would be at a trade disadvantage due to the significantly lower value and exrate of the RMB.

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international