AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-23, 06:55   Link #1
james0246

Kami nomi/TWGOK - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of Kami nomi/TWGOK. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are human.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
Old 2010-10-23, 09:50   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Hiro Shimono, the VA of Keima is amazing.

When he was cast as Keima, many fans whine and complain as they wanted Jun Fukuyama as they wanted Keima to sound like Lulu. But now, those complainers are now fans of Hiro thanks to Hiro amazing and over the top acting as Keima.

Thank you Hiro Shimono for making Keima sound amazing.

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2010-11-05 at 03:00.
Old 2010-10-23, 10:13   Link #3
johnishida
Bishoujo Lover!

Send a message via MSN to johnishida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Hiro Shimono, the VA of Keima is amazing.

When he was cast as Keima, many fans whine and complain as they wanted Jun Fukuyama as they wanted Keima to sound like Lulu. But now, those complainers are know fans of Hiro thanks to Hiro amazing and over the top acting as Keima.

Thank you Hiro Shimono for making Keima sound amazing.
Agree, in the first episode I really wanted him to sound like Lelouch but, thanks to the amazing job Hiro Shimono is doing I changed my mind by episode 2!
Old 2010-10-23, 18:03   Link #4
Kakkou
Tch.

I never doubted Hiro for a second! His acting remains one of the highlights of each episode, particularly "Wonichan MOE!" and his Heidi stint which always make me rewatch those scenes so many times. Really fun VA to listen to and I've enjoyed all the roles I've seen him play.
Old 2010-10-23, 20:17   Link #5
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Keima's voice is fine, Elsie's voice is fine.

However, Mio's voice, was not fine. There was lack of control in her voice. This is the time where versatility of voice becomes handicap. Mio had like 3 different voices that was conflicting each other and makes character settlement worse.

Spoiler for anime unseen character:

Last edited by Pellissier; 2010-10-24 at 04:40. Reason: use spoiler tags when mentioning characters not appeared in the anime yet!
Old 2010-11-05, 00:15   Link #6
Steeltape

I dont know. i still want keima to sound like lelouch. had always thought keima as as narcistic Lelouch is
Old 2010-11-05, 01:22   Link #7
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

I like Keima's voice.
I know a lot of people were clamoring for Fukuyama Jun before, but Shimono Hiro looks to have captured both the eccentric and serious parts of the character very well.

Elsie (Elsee, LC, I still don't know) is also perfect. I was afraid that we'd get a voice that's way too cutesy, but it's just the right amount of adorable.

Oh, and can anyone tell me about Kanon's VA? Been told she's new.
Old 2010-11-05, 08:17   Link #8
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I think Keima and Elsie voices fit quite well with the image (only one notch from perfection)...

But the best voice actress must be Mio. Her voice make Mio more adorable than what i expected from the manga
Old 2010-11-05, 12:03   Link #9
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Elsie and Keima voice actors fit to a tee especially Elsie the highs and lows in her voice are perfect. Kanon is fitting I guess. Ayumi too excellent voice acting at the last part of capture.
Old 2010-11-09, 01:57   Link #10
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The seiyuu magazine Seiyuu Grand Prix is featuring seiyuus from this show in its December issue:

(left, l-r) Touyama Nao (Kanon), Taketatsu Ayana (Ayumi), Itou Kanae (Elcea), Yuuki Aoi (Mio).

Touyama-san is the newbie. This and Tiger in Star Driver are her first roles. She's a new seiyuu, working for the big Arts Vision agency. Age unknown.

Aya-nyan (21) is Azusa in K-On, Kirino in OreImo, etc. (see my sig, below)
Kanae-chan (23) is Amu in Shugo Chara, Fumino in Mayoi Neko, etc., etc.
Ao-chan (18) is Murasaki in Kurenai, Korone in Dai Maou, etc., etc.

Talents aside, these are among the shortest seiyuu: according to their agencies, Yuuki Aoi is 145cm (4ft 9.1in); Itou Kanae is 147cm (4ft 9.8in); and Taketatsu Ayana is 149cm (4ft 10.6in).

applejuice makes the point that Ao-chan's voice varies as Mio, and says that's a downside of versatility. That's a valid, professional point of view, and I hear what he's referring to. But for my personal enjoyment I think Ao-chan's voice, here and elsewhere, is so thrilling that I can forgive a little variation. To me, she conveys the character's feelings with intensity and verve at each instant, even if the surface characteristics of the voice may vary a bit. I'm with risingstar3110 in finding that she makes Mio quite adorable. She gives her real presence.

I hope Ao-chan gains more control, and loses those moments (not in this show) when her voice drops out entirely. But I would regret her losing the intensity that I find unique about her voice. For the most incredible variation, and effectiveness in both registers, check out the low and masculine and high and puppyishly cute voices that are the two sides of her character in Hyakka Ryouran (eps 1 and 6 are good examples, especially the latter).

She is hilarious on the Hyakka Ryouran radio show, riffing away unrestrained with voices and sounds. Kotobuki Minako is good there, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-11-09 at 14:29.
Old 2010-11-10, 13:04   Link #11
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Some of the photos from inside that magazine have just shown up. These are Yuuki-centric, since they are from her 2channel thread, but others are there, too. Click to enlarge:

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2010-11-18, 19:45   Link #12
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Hiro Shimono is terrible.

The rest of the cast does a mesmerizing job, especially Elyse, but they can't save the anime from damnation because of him. When that talentless hack isn't squeaking like a dog, his voice is cracking.

A lot of people wanted a more popular CV to play the role of Keima, and I can understand the reservations against this (I too was against it) but better to cast a big-name talent to a high-profile show like this rather than to cast an outright bad actor.

I'm sorry to say I don't know of any low-profile CVs who could pull off the role - a favourite of mine, Satoshi Hino, isn't good enough either. Miyano and Fukuyama are the designated hitters for this kind of role, but male talent for these "byronic" types seems to be an under-developed market.

Heck, loli-tsundere was one for a while, too. Wasn't there a time where Kugimiya Rie had a monopoly on those roles? I notice she got cast as a voluptuous grown woman in Vampire Bund, so I guess she's finally broken the typecast (good for her!).
Old 2010-11-19, 09:53   Link #13
tsunade666

I like Mio's voice and thank goodness its' not another Rie voiced.

Kanon's voice in the latest episode and song really is great but Kami.... how to say this. He looks idiot. I grew fine with the voice of Hiro but the latest episode .... just kinda ruin it a bit.
Old 2010-11-19, 10:30   Link #14
Seihai
スマイリウム

Well, Keima's VA made him sound soft and naive especially in the last episode but I wouldn't say he's an idiot for that (literally or not). I still agree that you (generalized) get the idea he's more sensitive than in the manga.
Here's to hope next episode will make up for that, and in the end it's just that he lost some of his coolness, not too mindbreaking imo.
Old 2010-11-19, 10:37   Link #15
tsunade666

okay maybe idiot. But his words lack impact. Like when he said he would choose every route but then shout look everywhere. I find it cute when he said in the end when he deny kanon's cuteness and also when he declared he can see the ending. But some part just seem off to me.
Old 2010-12-04, 01:18   Link #16
pampz21
ShipCore

Toyama Nao's aka. Kanon-chan's mini concert was great! wish I was there!

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2010-12-04, 07:26   Link #17
tsunade666

I wish I had watched it. Theirs a live stream right? when I visit yesterday it's still offline and when I sleep it starts and after I wake up it's over!!!
Old 2010-12-04, 19:07   Link #18
Seihai
スマイリウム

Toyama Nao sure got some extra dibs on her reputation with the concert, lucky girl.
I'm wishing her a bright future and I hope her improvements will have a great impact because there is still many things she can improve.
Her performance from 1st to 2nd Kanon arc episode had a noticable improvement, she should be able to do it.
Old 2011-01-17, 23:44   Link #19
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Spoiler:

I'll just leave this here.
Old 2011-02-25, 00:02   Link #20
NecocYaotl

From 2ch:

Kusunoki - Koshimizu Ami
Jun - Toyosaki Aki
We already know these ones from season 1, though,
Haqua - Hayami Saori