AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sakurasou

Notices

View Poll Results: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 11 22.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 29.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 14.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-11, 10:54   Link #41
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
So what do you guys think the moral of the story is when it comes to talent vs passion/hard work? Can Rita become at least as good as Mashiro if she buckled down and tried her absolute hardest? Or is it more about accepting your limitations compared to a genius-level person and continue doing what you love to do at your highest capacity, regardless of the inevitable talent gap?
Been there, done that: Hard work vs talent

But hey, there's nothing new under the sun, so do carry on.
Old 2012-12-11, 10:55   Link #42
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Hah, I knew Ryuu is a fine addition to the gang, just like I posted in last episode thread . Also, just like Ryuu, this eps is pretty much to-the-point in addressing and solving Rita’s problems. It’s fast but still feels natural (thanx to Ryuu’s unmerciful “jabs” at Rita ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Its kind of amusing comparing his IRL blunt attitude, and his "Maid Online Persona" they're both actually pretty blunt, but maid-chan's tone is cheerier. I thought it was funny that he seems to have girlphobia as well, when he turn and saw himself face to face with Aoyama and had to run off to his room.
I might be wrong, but isn’t Maid-chan an AI bot that Ryuu created to do some online odd-jobs? I don’t think Maid-chan is his “other personality”. Ryuu’s personality has been the same both IRL and when chatting with Sorata and others via PC screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Still, even though Ryuunosuke is right about Rita being a sore loser to Mashiro, I think he needs to soften up a bit to women. (and cut down his addiction to tomatoes)
Why should he? Eating tomatoes is one healthy habit (or addiction) as long as your stomach can handle it like Ryuu. It’s highly nutritious and good for your body.

But yeah, the way he prefers tomatoes over (pretty) women is...
Old 2012-12-11, 11:37   Link #43
Ridwan

I think I have fallen in love.
Old 2012-12-11, 11:42   Link #44
KLGChaos
The Shermain

It had to be tough on Rita even having her grandfather tell her to stop because she could never reach Mashiro's level. I suppose there's a lesson to be learned to accepting one's limitations... still, it's never pleasant when someone does something effortlessly and still beats you despite putting in a ton of hard work. Reminds me of HSDK in a way, with the whole talent vs hard work thing.

I can see where she'd feel down, though. After all, at the art gallery, everyone was so wrapped up in Mashiro's painting that they didn't even notice Rita's. That's gotta hurt.

There is one thing that gets me, though. Art is much different that something like sports... you can be a talented artists, but it doesn't mean everyone is going to like your painting or your style. Art is the most subjective thing out there, after all. I'd love to meet someone who actually doesn't like Mashiro's works. :P

And Rita can always say that while she may not be able to match Mashiro's art, at least she isn't a complete social retard like Mashiro is.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2012-12-11 at 11:57.
Old 2012-12-11, 11:44   Link #45
sikvod00

The question now is whether Ryuunosuke will get any further development, but that may be a forgone conclusion. They have plenty of episodes left to do it, and everyone else at Sakurasou has gotten some already. I guess Rita will be leaving soon and is not a permanent part of the cast now?
Old 2012-12-11, 11:47   Link #46
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Can Rita become at least as good as Mashiro if she buckled down and tried her absolute hardest?
The moral question to me is: does Rita even need to be as good as Mashiro? For heaven's sake, her art is being displayed in an exhibition in a country on the other side of the world! Regardless of what her cranky grandfather says, she evidently has a shining bright future in painting; she just needs to realize that and learn to love herself.
Old 2012-12-11, 11:48   Link #47
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
The question now is whether Ryuunosuke will get any further development, but that may be a forgone conclusion. They have plenty of episodes left to do it, and everyone else at Sakurasou has gotten some already. I guess Rita will be leaving soon and is not a permanent part of the cast now?
She's not permanent, from what I gather. I think she will visit again, though.
Old 2012-12-11, 11:57   Link #48
GDB

Quote:
So what do you guys think the moral of the story is when it comes to talent vs passion/hard work? Can Rita become at least as good as Mashiro if she buckled down and tried her absolute hardest? Or is it more about accepting your limitations compared to a genius-level person and continue doing what you love to do at your highest capacity, regardless of the inevitable talent gap?
I think it's the latter, possibly with a hint of "you haven't discovered your true talent". Sorata failed to be a game designer (on his first try, at least), yet he's done a great job as a director and managing a group of geniuses with conflicting personalities.
Old 2012-12-11, 12:27   Link #49
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
The moral question to me is: does Rita even need to be as good as Mashiro? For heaven's sake, her art is being displayed in an exhibition in a country on the other side of the world! Regardless of what her cranky grandfather says, she evidently has a shining bright future in painting; she just needs to realize that and learn to love herself.
That's a good point.

A week ago I compared Mashiro (and her overall situation) to Michael Jordan.

Well, if Mashiro is Michael Jordan then Rita is Scottie Pippen. In other words, Rita is a successful professional painter and has a high level of talent herself (just not as high). Even if she will never be Mashiro's equal, she has a bright future ahead of her in the world of painting.
Old 2012-12-11, 12:55   Link #50
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
She definitely is. I guess, it must be the pressure given by her grandpa. The expectation of wanting her to be the best out there. She completely forgot what painting meant to her. At least in this episode, she clearly knows what it means.
Old 2012-12-11, 12:56   Link #51
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Mah, an above-average episode. I don't really care about Ryuusuke, but I now that his "I hate women" line is being said "too often", I'll be annyoed by it (or rather I will start thinking "Yeah, yeah we got it already" ). Though, that happens in other anime/mangas as well with similar "repeated phrases", so nothing Sakurasou-specific.

Rita spitting her "hate" at Mashiro was quite harsh, pent-up frustation or not, and you could see that Mashiro was affected by it. Still, I like Rita's character. Her first impression was much better/enjoyable than any of the Sakurasou dorm members during the first two episodes. And their reconsilation scene was probably the best moment of this episode. I could care less if people call her manipulating or other stuff in a TLDR fashion because I enjoy my fictions on a surface level without the need to analyze some meta stuff (more power to those who like it). I "evalute" that what I watch.

Sorata's apparently fluent presentation seemed a bit sudden, but glad that he finished it successfully. Surely also another another step forward for his career future.

Last edited by Mahou; 2012-12-11 at 15:37.
Old 2012-12-11, 13:02   Link #52
Zavie

I'm just getting upset with all the hate on Rita this episode, I won't bother talking about it though.

Clearly, Rita herself has a lot of talent in Fine Art, however, she doesn't have the support Mashiro has imo. It's very frustrating that everything you work hard doesn't get any approval, especially from people that are close to you. Tha was why I streesed so much the important of having people on your side last week. She's a very strongwill girl, but at the same time, as delicate as any other teenage maiden, I truly believe she didn't have any bad intention with her outburst of hating Mashiro, it just shows how much fear Rita has for losing Mashiro in fine art, essentially her life.

Mashiro has her share in this mess as well, I don't think it's fair to say that she is completely innocent (hate me on this. But Rita is very pitiful alright.
Old 2012-12-11, 13:07   Link #53
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
She definitely is. I guess, it must be the pressure given by her grandpa. The expectation of wanting her to be the best out there. She completely forgot what painting meant to her. At least in this episode, she clearly knows what it means.
So we saw in Rita what people can become if they only try to fulfill the expections of other people instead on focusing what was really important to her.

Quote:
Mashiro has her share in this mess as well, I don't think it's fair to say that she is completely innocent (hate me on this. But Rita is very pitiful alright.
Of course Shiina is to blame about that poor poor Rita could not handle the reality that someone is better thant her.
Old 2012-12-11, 13:33   Link #54
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
So we saw in Rita what people can become if they only try to fulfill the expections of other people instead on focusing what was really important to her.

Of course Shiina is to blame about that poor poor Rita could not handle the reality that someone is better thant her.

Mashiro is to blame in that she's a social retard who doesn't understand anything that's going on. That's about it.

Even Rita isn't to blame in this. It's the people around her who kept pushing expectation after expectation on her and then went on to tell her she wasn't good enough. As well as the people who are so obsessed over Mashiro, that they completely ignored what Rita was capable of or were constantly comparing the two. Like her Grandfather. He really sounds like a horrible person. Heck, even Sorata was so wrapped up in Mashiro's work that he didn't notice that Rita had a painting there as well.
Old 2012-12-11, 13:52   Link #55
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Mashiro is to blame in that she's a social retard who doesn't understand anything that's going on. That's about it.
I can't say that Mashiro is a total social retard person. In the previews episode. Its been shown again and again that Mashiro can understand other peoples suffering. She understand Sorata and Nanami. Its just that to Mashiro. Rita is a close friend that it didn't probably occur to her that Rita would feel resentment towards to herself.
Old 2012-12-11, 14:17   Link #56
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Heck, even Sorata was so wrapped up in Mashiro's work that he didn't notice that Rita had a painting there as well.
I don't disagree with this, but to be fair, it was Rita's intention to keep Sorata's attention on Mashiro's painting. I bet that Rita didn't even want Sorata to see her own painting, out of her fear of shame.
Old 2012-12-11, 14:17   Link #57
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
It's the people around her who kept pushing expectation after expectation on her and then went on to tell her she wasn't good enough....Like her Grandfather.
I have to agree with that.

Quote:
Bad bad Shiina, you were an extremely bad girl. How could you never think that the one who you believed to be your friend would hate you in secret? Shiina, you are to blame for Ritas suffering.
tsunade666 said something interesting.

Generally. Some people have to accept the reality that they have a limit otherwise it could lead to hate, depression and maybe even suicide. Only living to fulfill expections of other people has not made anyone happy.
Old 2012-12-11, 14:48   Link #58
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So I guess I know who'll be writing the next episode based on the preview.

That was a little rushed but I did enjoy it overall. Good episode.
Old 2012-12-11, 15:22   Link #59
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
I have to agree with that.

Bad bad Shiina, you were an extremely bad girl. How could you never think that the one who you believed to be your friend would hate you in secret? Shiina, you are to blame for Ritas suffering.
tsunade666 said something interesting.

Generally. Some people have to accept the reality that they have a limit otherwise it could lead to hate, depression and maybe even suicide. Only living to fulfill expections of other people has not made anyone happy.
What I meant about Shiina is that her obliviousness to everything else going on around her hurts her ability to empathize with others at times. If she wasn't for her bad social skills and inability to focus on anything that doesn't interest her, she might have seen the clues going on around her (people leaving, Rita pushing her away, etc), but due to her social problems, she didn't notice anything. Heck, even after Rita went off on her, she didn't understand because she's never had to feel jealous of anyone.

I've honestly got a difficult time dealing with characters like that. Reminds me of Medaka from Medaka Box-- characters that are so perfect in something that they don't even know what normal human feelings are. I'm not sure whether to feel sorry for them or not. I'm just not a fan of those types. They're characters that are hard to empathize with because they're made out to be more than human.
Old 2012-12-11, 15:33   Link #60
wontaek

When people talk about talent vs Hard Work, I like to talk back with following.

Many Pop music artist claim some of their hit songs were composed in less than an hour. You can literally find thousands of such example if you look around at the background stories of hundreds of record album that appeared on the charts.

It took Beethoven minimum of 4 years from the actual sketch to final composition for his 5th Symphony. Some elements of this work can be found in Beethoven's works 10 year before the 5th Symphony was premiered. Is this case for talent, or hard work?