AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2014-11-18, 06:18   Link #1861
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Any updates or new fanfics?
I miss reading MuuvLuv fanfics.
stuck. It requires a particular (almost psychotic) mindset to write and finish my current ML fic and I sadly can't be stuck in that mindset for long or else I'll start grabbing a frieaxe, choppign people to death and eating their brains.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 09:18   Link #1862
John117xCortana

No updates for One Last Time Into the Loop for almost half a year now.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 11:20   Link #1863
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
No updates for One Last Time Into the Loop for almost half a year now.
his stuck on what to do with muvluv and someone advice him to watch aldnoah and the reaction he got was to write a story after the first season. He said he can't wait for January so his thoughts are full of it right now.
Old 2014-11-18, 18:11   Link #1864
John117xCortana

Yeah. I read that story too.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-23, 01:06   Link #1865
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Just saw this and kind of regret the BETA don't have any intelligence. Because I'd have LOVED to see the looks on their faces when a Destroid carrying a giant metal baseball bat comes charging straight at them...
Old 2014-11-23, 18:42   Link #1866
GrrDraxin

Send a message via Yahoo to GrrDraxin
Oh, they do have intelligence, but it's just more in line with biological computers, except maybe The Superior, which might know what some emotions are, since it may have gathered that kind of info from the assimilated humans the BETA have eaten. But the BETA as a whole don't consider the humans such a threat to go "oh crap!" when seeing a robot wielding a baseball bat. Though if the BETA were just mutated humans in line with typical tentacle hentai, then maybe you might get an interesting reaction.

But I think if there were such a moment, it would be the one where the BETA are on the side getting swarmed by TSFs and such to continental covering proportions. There being more TSFs on earth than there were of humans... at their peak of 8 billion. So yeah, 8 billion plus TSFs swarming all the hives at once, or better instead of your standard TSFs, its XG-70s, Macross Valkyries, and a bunch of SDF battle fortresses, and maybe a few Zentradi carrier fortresses (and their accompanying fleets) to add insult to injury. But if that's not enough, just throw in everything the giant robot genre has to offer; Gundams, Evas, Transformers, you name it, it's there, and in astronomically large numbers.

So when faced with enough hardware to be mistaken as a large accretion disk in a star system, that probably might be enough for a BETA 'oh crap' moment.
Old 2014-11-24, 02:04   Link #1867
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Sat down to continue my dark ML fic.
Put something random on video to watch while thinking.
Said video is Red VS Blue.

...that fic is never gonna be finished at this rate.
Old 2014-11-24, 20:25   Link #1868
GrrDraxin

Send a message via Yahoo to GrrDraxin
Love those vids. Got them in blue ray collection. Though I wish they subtitled/closed captioned them so my deaf father could watch them...
Old 2014-12-09, 02:31   Link #1869
Chibiloli

Guys, forgive me if these have been answered already but:
What power sources do TSF's run on? And is fuel for the Jump units seperate from the power source?
Can TSF's use other weapons or do they need to be programmed to use different weapons?
Can the Sword Impulse be a proper Storm Vanguard?
Can the Blast Impulse just replace the need for the railgun?
Old 2014-12-10, 07:38   Link #1870
B214

I believe TSF runs on fuel. As to the weapons, seeing how they can switch weapons, i'm guessing it's more to getting use than the programmed.

Gundam. I'd say they are all rounders, at least to me they are.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 21:56   Link #1871
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibiloli View Post
Guys, forgive me if these have been answered already but:
What power sources do TSF's run on? And is fuel for the Jump units seperate from the power source?
Can TSF's use other weapons or do they need to be programmed to use different weapons?
Can the Sword Impulse be a proper Storm Vanguard?
Can the Blast Impulse just replace the need for the railgun?
1) TSFs run on fuel. The jump units are gas turbine engines, specifically afterburning turbofans, that run on aviation fuel (or avgas, as it's known). Power for the systems at startup is either from a battery or an ground auxiliary power unit that mechanics hook the TSFs up to.

The jump units generate both thrust and electrical power to run the systems.

2) Define other weapons. Generally, it's safe to assume that most TSFs will be physically capable of mounting different weapons if they share the same base - all TSFs derived from US designs should be able to use US assault cannons, for example.

You could probably have a Japanese TSF equipped with Soviet weapons. Weapons intergration is possible, you'll just need to worry about installing drivers and a whole host of things before you can get it done. But it's not impossible.

3) Probably, I suppose.

4) Nope, Blast Impulse can't replace the railgun. It can't maintain the volume of fire the railgun can.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-25, 13:23   Link #1872
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrDraxin View Post
Oh, they do have intelligence, but it's just more in line with biological computers, except maybe The Superior, which might know what some emotions are, since it may have gathered that kind of info from the assimilated humans the BETA have eaten. But the BETA as a whole don't consider the humans such a threat to go "oh crap!" when seeing a robot wielding a baseball bat. Though if the BETA were just mutated humans in line with typical tentacle hentai, then maybe you might get an interesting reaction.

But I think if there were such a moment, it would be the one where the BETA are on the side getting swarmed by TSFs and such to continental covering proportions. There being more TSFs on earth than there were of humans... at their peak of 8 billion. So yeah, 8 billion plus TSFs swarming all the hives at once, or better instead of your standard TSFs, its XG-70s, Macross Valkyries, and a bunch of SDF battle fortresses, and maybe a few Zentradi carrier fortresses (and their accompanying fleets) to add insult to injury. But if that's not enough, just throw in everything the giant robot genre has to offer; Gundams, Evas, Transformers, you name it, it's there, and in astronomically large numbers.

So when faced with enough hardware to be mistaken as a large accretion disk in a star system, that probably might be enough for a BETA 'oh crap' moment.
Spoiler for So basically this .....:

Spoiler for and plus JAM project as insert music:
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 12:31   Link #1873
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Found a new Muv Luv fanfic called Muvluv:Cutting Canon.

The premise is that the Tenno from Warframe help the humans during the Kyoto Invasion in 1998.

If your wondering what Tenno are, here's some in action.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-02-10, 06:29   Link #1874
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Now that I've finished my Infinite stratos fic, I'm going back to my ML fic and it needs a biot of rework before I continue on with it. By god I swear I'll get it all doen this year.
"It's time to decide who flies, and who falls from grace"
Old 2015-02-13, 06:59   Link #1875
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

End of work today, went home. Sat down to rewrite my dark and serious ML fic.

So...WHY is my head full of SD versions of the Muv-Luv, Schwarzemarken and Total Eclipse cast trying to summarize the ENTIRE Kouki-written Muv-Luv universe in less than 5 minutes?

http://youtu.be/Xz47tS3MIpw

...oh. That's why.

I'll never get this damn fic off the ground at this rate...

Quote:
SD Shirogane: "I was bummed, but Marimo-chan tried to cheer me up!"

SD Beta: "Too bad she lost her head over it!!!" *burp*

SD Shirogane: whine whine sob PTSD
(oh god am I actually writing this?!?_)

Last edited by wavehawk; 2015-02-13 at 07:36.
Old 2015-02-20, 23:27   Link #1876
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Horrible idea: Yuuya Bridges is still alive somewhere dressed up like Clint Eastwood from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, wandering the remains of the landscape.
Old 2015-04-18, 04:51   Link #1877
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

F#$%#$k it. Posting.
Quote:
The night above was not kind.

It did not even have the common decency to be black or show stars. Clouds above and the night lights of a distant city painted it a sickly purple grey, with an air and the scent of rain that never came. The only color came from the bare white wisps of vapor from a TSF's jump engines, barely scarring the mediocre dark.

The huge machine was the last of its kind flying, lonely over the uncontested skies over America.

Lieutenant Todd Crane gently raised the output on the jump engines. While a TSF was fully capable of flight, it was not an aircraft. Without sufficient thrust it would plummet to the ground. He was thankful that his machine was carrying no ordnance at all, only the extra drop tanks used for a ferry flight such as this. The air in the machine was light, and the pilot did not strain himself. But the sky outside was not as inviting.

A crackle as the radio came alive to break the inhuman silence.

"Incoming TSF on approach north forty five-four five-four by west seven-two four seven three one. State your identity."

"Felix One-oh-One, Victor Foxtrot Three One." Todd replied with mechanical precision. The control tower knew he was coming, and the heads-up was for formality. "Ferry flight to Calverton. Scheduled."

"Wait one." There was a pause on the line. The tower was cross-checking their flight schedules. "Felix 101, check. You're running late. Take runway two. Northeast approach."

Crane did not reply at first. The controller did not push him for the response. Finally after a minute of silence he answered.

"Felix 101, roger." Todd then toggled the radio off. It was his last flight in the F-14 Tomcat, and he did not want it to end. Virtual icons came into his view as a digital highway superimposed over the camera view of the land and dark sky. A pathway home.

The last Tomcat carrier launch and later landing took place just weeks ago and was witnessed worldwide, with much fanfare. Many stated it was the end of an era, which it was. Todd's flight was nowhere as ceremonious. It was a ferry flight, delivering the last Tomcat home. The original plan was to fly to Long Island's Republic Airport in the same state, but delays caused the flight plan to change. The flight was redirected to the former Naval Weapons Industrial Reserve Plant, Calverton. Tomcat's original birthplace and home to many innovations, such as the lunar roving vehicle. It was once Grunnan's own private airfield, for testing aircraft, vehicles, and TSFs.

Once.

The US Navy moved its weapons and development facilities elsewhere, and Grunnan sold and vacated the Calverton airfield in February 1996 after merging with Northrock. The land was then redeveloped into a private airstrip, Calverton Airpark. The venture was never profitable and died out, and the area was now only used by the US Navy for air ferry and delivery.

The F-14 slowed its speed as it followed the directional cues to the airstrip. Todd could see in the low light, realizing that were few landing lights were on. It was almost a pure instrument landing as he brought the machine down with a grace contrary to its great size. A short skid, and the giant TSF came to a halt on the asphalt with a much lighter touch than an aircraft would have landed. The engines slowed to a hum, then politely died out.

"So ends the legacy," the backseat Radar and Weapons Systems Officer (WSO) sighed as the TSF stopped moving. Todd did not reply. He could never remember his WSO's names, as they shifted consistently. This time was no different, but it would be the last. The VF-31 Tomcatters were the second oldest US Navy squadron and took their name long before TSFs were invented, but gladly took ownership of the machine that shared their name.

But it really was the end, for two reasons. The squadron would soon be retrained and transition to the smaller and cheaper F-18F Super Hornet. It was also the end of Crane's long service as a TSF pilot lieutenant. Unlike other world militaries, US Navy officers were either promoted to the next rank or resigned to civilian life.

Todd knew what would happen next. Calverton still retained the facilities for dissasembly and storage of an F-14. It would later be carried via truck to Davis-Monthan Disposal Base, Arizona. The 'Boneyard', where aircraft, vehicles, and TSFs were to be stored until disposed of. There the machine would be stripped of the sensitive avionics, computer systems and weapons technology onboard. If lucky, his TSF would be one of the few selected for static display at a base or museum somewhere. Like a stuffed deer head in someone's office. Otherwise, it would share the fate of all other US Navy F-14s: Months or even years later, the F-14 bodies would be taken to a disposal and recycling company in Tucson, Arizona for shredding and scrapping.

Eaten alive, just as surely as a human being eaten by BETA.

Crane's future career was less certain. Six years as a TSF pilot lieutenant and not once applying for a promotion was conisdered suspicious by the Navy community. One was expected to step up or transfer, not stay in the same spot. In theory, the US Military's competitive 'up-or-out' promotion system ensured consistent improvement and that only the best qualified of whom would be promoted. In practice and by US law, the military promotion system is vacancy-driven. Navy Lieutenants usually served four years in that position before being promoted to Lieutenant Commander, the next rank. Commander was the rank above that, and was usually the position of the Squadron Commanding Officer. It was the highest rank one could have and still be a pilot. VF-31 had one Commander and four Lieutenant Commanders, but only the Commander and the Lieutenant Commander assigned to actual flight operations were TSF pilots. The other three were in charge of administration, safety and maintenance. That meant there were really only two ranks above Crane, and neither of them were being promoted or retiring soon. Even if he were to transfer to another squadron the same situation existed.

Todd did not relish the higher-ranked roles, as they meant more management and less actual flying time. But the only way he could stay as a TSF pilot was to be promoted to Lieutenant Commander. Failure to be selected meant that he would be retired, out of the Navy TSF community for good. However, he lacked the required qualifying skills for promotion. He was a commissioned unrestricted line officer, but short of piloting a TSF and being responsible for his WSO he had no true leadership experience.

"Still unhappy about the flight?"

The WSO handed Crane a squeeze bottle of nutrient water, snapping him back to reality. Todd did not reply, simply taking the bottle and taking a long drink. He was thinking of the options he had, outside of throwing in the towel and retiring from Navy service. The access gantry was slowly rising to the TSF's chest cockpit level. Crane hadn't noticed the retrieval vehicles' arrival.

"Jesus. I'm going to use the next three days of shore leave drinking enough whiskey to drown a planet." The young WSO chugged his water bottle dry, but seemed unsatisfied. Unlike Crane, his future with the Tomcatters was secure. "What do you plan to do after this, Lieutenant?"

"I'll likely be reassigned." Crane had a distant look, talking to the night sky rather than his WSO. He would miss the squadron's training batch for the Hornet, not that he was in any hurry. "Probably be down for a few months pushing a desk at Norfolk. Or they'll transfer me to the joint UN base at Atsugi. I don't know which to pick."

The WSO looked lost. "Where the hell is Atsugi?"

"Japan. Atsugi's the only base there where US troops can be stationed." Craig replied, although he looked doubtful. He had trained with Japanese forces and some of their TSFs before, and on paper this made him a good candidate. But three months in a Fubuki didn't make one an expert on Japanese TSFs. And it wasn't like the Japanese liked having Americans in their machines outside of publicity photos and so-called Jap-Am 'friendship' exercises. "Might be worth a change of pace."

"Thinking that far ahead?" The WSO chucked the empty bottle into a waste storage flap on his side. "Why not do a service transfer to the Army? Get to fly the F-22 Raptor for a change?"

Todd had heard of it, dubbed the Blue to Green program. Although the US Army had its own TSFs, there was a demand for Navy TSF pilots to transfer and exchange their know-how with Army pilots. Likewise, many Navy TSF pilots most of whom wanted a chance to fly the Army F-22.

"Raptor's overrated." Todd muttered. His hands were still firmly on the control sticks, even though the machine had already shut down. "And it's not a Tomcat."

"Sour grapes and you know it." The WSO remarks with mock seriousness. A click as the cockpit opened, the TSF firmly locked into place with the support gantry. Then with a more subdued tone: "You know, once the BETA are gone we'll be turning these TSFs against each other. Us, the Russians, everybody."

"Yeah, that'd be right." Todd fought the urge to make a melodramatic gesture.

"Maybe you should go to Atsugi, you know? Mighty Whitey. Spread the good news of Uncle Sam's gospel to the Japs while you're at it. At least it sounds better than desk work." The WSO exited the cockpit and turned to leave, waving as he walked off. Todd stayed, unmoving. As if staying in the empty cockpit would convince the Navy to let him fly again.

He put a hand to his head, and the pain of metal embedded in flesh woke him.

Todd broke away from the dream of the past and opened his empty eyes to the ceiling. Barren grey paint greeted him back. Not much different from a dead night sky over New York. Crane's eyes looked to the only device in his room. The clock glowed with a muted fierceness, radium arms glowing in the dark at 4am. Crane realized he was not in America, but underground somewhere in the barren slate that was Europe. The Tomcat, the last flight was far in the past. Years ago, before the incident that cost him his career. His few loved ones. His sanity.

Crane himself did not move, but his right hand reached for his left. Feeling for the long-missing wedding ring around his finger.

-----------------------------------------
Muv-Luv Alternative: The Watchtower

02. ~joker to the thief~
-----------------------------------------

The paint application process began to irritate Elle.

The process of prepping and repainting the Icon Flight TSFs was taking much longer than she considered bearable. The Pit's air conditioning and filtration systems were being strained to the limit, but there was only so much it could do. Painting outside would expose the TSFs to the elements, ruining the process from the very beginning. Phantom Arc's control unit was within the hangar, along with all the other TSF-related equipment, and had to be cloaked in a large canvas sheet to prevent soilage of the controls. Until the crew were done, Burkhart and the rest of the Phantom Works team had to wear masks or risk breathing paint vapor. The paint was based on the same type of sensor-absorbing mix used on the the prototype F-22 and YF-23, nicknamed 'Blackball' for the nano-sized radiation-absorbing iron ferrite balls floating within the mix. This was merely an undercoat, as layers of the more conventional ghost-grey would alternate between the black base color. Even so, the shade of black gave all three Icon machines a disturbing air of menace as they towered over the humans beneath.

The paint alone was not enough to render the Icon machines stealthy. Armor was replaced in some non-essential sections with lighter, more radar-absorbent honeycomb materials. And days before, Icon-3 was tested with a new type of myomer muscle that was lighter than the existing type used in the Strike Eagle series. The successful tests eventually saw Icon-2 and Icon-1 outfitted with the same myomers not merely for strength but lighter weight and a lower 'echo' when scanned by standard radar pulses.

Still, the machines were far from stealth TSFs. At best they were nominally worse than the Silent Eagle series of TSFs, having a low radar cross-section but still recognizable as a TSF. They were nowhere near the level of the American Raptor or Russian Berkut, not even on the same level as Eurofighter or the newer F-35. The stealth requirement was a new thing, one that Boening had required the Phantom Works team to add to the machines.

Wilkes' response to the requirement was unprintable, but he let the change go through.

"Nowadays, all TSFs have some degree of stealth built into them." Crew Boss Min-Jae crossed his arms as he stood next to Burkhart. Stealth meant nothing to the BETA, which did not use Radar or even vision to track their prey. These technologies were purely focused on anti-TSF combat. "The Eurofighter and Rafale have a low radar cross-section, too. You can't blame the Company for wanting a bit more bang for their buck out of this project."

"There's no other way to improve on that?" Elle queried. Although using three off-the-shelf F-15E Strike Eagles cut development costs the project a little, Phantom Works' ambitious ICON project was a cash sink to corporate eyes. Wilkes had no leeway to be choosy with some of the company's requirements.

"We're already using what spare parts the Silent Eagle project had left over." The Crew Boss scratched his scalp violently in frustration. "Short of rebuilding the TSFs from the skeleton up with 3rd generation parts, I don't think we can go further than this."

Elle nodded. The basic Strike Eagle was a 2nd generation TSF, the best of the older models. 3rd Generation TSFs were the cutting edge of technology, possessing a more agile and compact frame. Most of the newer 3rd Gen machines had stealth capability and extreme maneuverability as standard. "So it's not a practical move."

"Lady, absolutely nothing that big business ever does is practical." The Crew Boss shrugged, arms a shade blacker from the paint residue. "Boening lays off 300 employees in Australia, then awards the bigwigs in America a 5 million dollar salary increase. Let's just be happy we all still have our jobs. I hope we can get most of this stuff done before that Japanese contingent gets here in the next few days."

"They're awfully interested in ICON." Elle could see the tech at the top of Icon-2 giving a thumbs-up, indicating they were nearly done with this coat of paint.

"Personally, I don't want those goddamned Japs anywhere near Icon Flight." Min-jae shot an accusing look at Icon-3, and Burkhart knew he was secretly directing the comment toward Asakura. "They've already got their damn 3rd-Gen TSFs they're so proud of waving in everyone else's faces."

Elle wondered if Min-jae's dislike of Japanese was as bad as Wilkes' vocal dissaproval of Germans. She decided to change the topic. "Other than the XM-244, what other weapons does Icon-3 use?"

"If Asakura could be bothered swapping?" A shrug. "Heavy artillery cannons. Missile systems. We've rejected a lot of text ideas."

"How about mounting a heavier automatic weapon? Like the Avenger gatling guns on the A-10." Elle recalled many of Jasta-44's older pilots having nothing but respect for the venerable heavy-firepower TSF. "It would be lighter and faster than an actual A-10 but still pack the firepower."

Min-jae's frown seemed to sink the whole Pit. "It's been done before."

"Really?"

"They developed a cut-down version of the GAU-8 Avenger gatling, tested it on a flight of F-16s in Iraq." Min-jae paused, then added: "Didn't work out too well. Part of the reason the Avenger works on the A-10 is because of the damn thing's weight. You put that gun on a lighter TSF and the firing arc goes all over the place. The F-16 became pretty much unpilotable." The Crew Boss mimicked a gun being put to his head. "Patoom. End of experiment."

"Hm." Much as Burkhart knew about TSFs, she was not a TSF pilot. She then seemed to recall: "Didn't the Japanese build an laser weapon of some sort? Have you thought of that?"

"Directed-energy weapons are a whole other ballgame. The average TSF doesn't pack enough power in its batteries or engines to generate enough power for it. The Japs built an electromagnetic cannon. Not the same thing. It uses an electromagnetic field to shoot metal pellets or rounds at a target. It only looks like a beam weapon because of the charged particles burning up the air while it flies." The Crew Boss stretched his arms. "A real beam weapon--like the BETA Laser-class beams--would be invisible to the naked eye. And it still uses a large amount of energy, and cooling the barrel takes forever. The only workable one was on the Jap's version of the XG-70. And we know what happened to that."

"There's some other crazy stuff we've tested, like the AGM-45 Shrike. A missile that homed in on the Laser-Class' lasers back to the target." Min-Jae then noticed Elle giving him that doubtful look. He turned red in the face, as if realizing how stupid it must sound to a layman. "The actual idea is sound. It's just that none of the missiles fly fast enough to hit the damn Laser-class before being burned to a crisp."

"Faster. Than a laser." Elle let the words sink. "That didn't work out very well, did it?"

The Crew Boss had a nervous cough.

"So a lot of stuff we've tested doesn't work. A few of them do." A chastened but still proud Min-jae pointed upward. The two Gunslinger pylon arms of Icon-2 were extended, and a small group of techs were installing what appeared to be a large harmonica to each side. "That's the AGM-176 Griffin. A small-sized multipurpose missile."

Elle felt that the word 'small' was relative in this case. The sealed harmonica-like box was still the size of a compact car. It was nowhere near as large as currently used TSF missile systems, which were more akin in size to a city bus. The missiles would not be exposed to the environment until actually fired.

"We've developed a 10-tube launcher that mounts to each side of a Gunslinger mount. That way you can quickly load the missile on without having to take space on the shoulders like older containers do." Min-jae had now stepped to one side, gesturing to his techs to avoid the still-wet painted surfaces. Burkhart followed him as he went around to oversee the work. "Full-on, a TSF can carry 40 Griffins but with a third of the weight that most other missile containers weigh, but still be able to carry a normal loadout of Assault Cannons."

Ten tubes? Burkhart realized the missiles were much smaller than she first thought. At that size she could imagine it would be effective against the anti-infantry BETA Warrior-class or the shambling Soldier-class, both smaller strains of BETA. But while those types were terrifyingly used against infantry and civilians, they were usually no threat or concern to a TSF. "How much damage can one of those missiles actually do?"

"Griffin's smaller but it's also a lot more precise. The warheads are programmable for different targets. For example, you can select air-burst mode against large groups of Warrior- or Soldier-class. Or impact detonation against Tank- or Grappler-class. You can even have a delayed-fuse explosion, mess up a BETA advance quite a bit that way."

"Selecting an effect. In the middle of a firefight." Elle was doubtful. "That's a lot of extra work for the pilot."

"No need, the TSF tactical computer does that." A simple but loud click was heard as the small missile containers locked into their mounts. "Analyze target type and distance, then key in the best effect for the situation while guiding it all the way in. It can program, track and fire all missiles at once. And each at separate targets."

"That's a pretty capable computer."

"More than you know." Min-jae smirked, as if telling an inside joke. He then walked over to Icon-3, where the Griffin system was also being mounted. "The small size means we can use them on aircraft, ships or ground vehicles. One standard type of missile for every service. The US Navy's already testing Griffin on some of its small boats. Hell, you can even kick Griffin out the back of a helicopter and it'll seek out and destroy a target. It's also designed for use on UCAVs."

"You mean---" Burkhart thought of the implications as she looked at Phantom Arc in its berth, cloaked by the paint tarpaulin. UCAVs and other drone or remote control aircraft were not widely used in actual combat due to Laser-class BETA. Most were used as either remote reconnaisance or training targets, and the few instances they mounted weapons were against very small groups of BETA. Or humans. Elle wasn't sure how to feel about piloting an armed UCAV.

"Phantom Arc does have some unused space in its wings, and equipping her for Griffin is a plan. But don't get excited just yet." Min-jae cautioned, misreading the look on Elle's face. "Not now, but eventually."

The hissing of air compressors stopped, and a distant tech gave the Crew Boss a thumbs-up. Both Min-jae and Elle were happy at this, only a few minutes more and they could remove their paint masks. Burkhart had also been meaning to ask about the porthole she saw on Icon-3's head, but decided to leave it for another day. Every question leads to a question.

An alarm blared in the Pit, signalling incoming aircraft arrival.

"Goddamnit." Min-jae spat on the floor. The Japanese were early.
Old 2015-04-19, 05:52   Link #1878
Chibiloli

Anybody got any good idea's on how to get what is essentially a fleet of Starfleet types to get the ML verse to trust them? My verse is pretty much the same as ours except we occupy the whole universe and we have mobile suits and space colonies, cultural wise, its pretty much the same as ours, in a space opera sort of setting, stuff like the Westboro Baptist Church exists, african-american subculture is popular among the youth and mexicans(or rather, their descendants) are still job stealing chupacabra's, and then there are other new cultural stuff that came into existance, such as nudist radicalism(its like how our world treats Al Qaeda), the Lemon party(a gaycentric political party that aims to allow same sex marriage in all known territory), and Reavers replacing somalian pirates, same as firefly reavers.

Anyway, what can my universe offer them to get the ML universe to trust them? They have GMO's, that could solve their food problems, they can offer security to joining a power bloc, but handing them weapons and technology is off the table for prime directive reasons(and frankly there are far too many rogue states already in my verse, one more would just make things a lot harder for my main characters).
Old 2015-04-19, 05:57   Link #1879
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

The Prime Directive itself would prevent them from interfering, but I think it'd be difficult. The best group to approach would be the US, but even then it'd be more of a case of the US trying to get the jump on everyone else by being the sole point of contact with the Starfleet people. Next best option would be the Europeans to an extent. The Japanese and Russians would be..a tough sell. I doubt anyone else is in a good enough position to speak with what is essentially an alien force.

Compare and contrast with Cortez' discovery of South America, or Commodore Perry's Gunboat Diplomacy approach to reopening Japan.
Old 2015-04-19, 06:13   Link #1880
Chibiloli

The prime directive is optional, but still highly reccomended as my main char for this story wants to avoid making her universe look bad, evacuating all the people totheir universe is not a good idea as there's something of an overpopulation problem and the only places they can stay at would be space colonies and frontier worlds, the former essentially makes you a universal second class citizen unless you live in colonycentric nations likethe Republic of Zeon and the PLANTS, and the frontier worlds are barely habitable rocks and there's a technology taboo around those parts, and then there are the Reavers......

EDIT: I can't go the Cortez route due to the expedition being sponsored by two of the power blocs in my universe, the progressive but beaurucratically challenged SICON, and the Draconian, Elitist but otherwise fair Imperial Defense and Economical Alliance(IDEA), thy want to offer ML earth a choice on who to join, being neutral is an option, but joining has benefits, and I can't go the perry route, their home universe is always fighting some major war every few years and between that, minor wars, the last thing they wanna do is drag whatever shred of dignity their universe has left through the mud by going throught the forceful route, that and a civillian organization is at the head of the fleet, the military sent along with them is a neutral organization as well, but would still respect the head of the expedition's orders.

Last edited by Chibiloli; 2015-04-19 at 07:31. Reason: Finally processed your reply
Chibiloli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction, harem