Notices

Old 2012-05-15, 08:14   Link #21
DuoRanger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
No single-player campaign? No sale.

Dear developers,

Stop ruining my childhood with your bro gamer multiplayer shooter delusions of profit.

No love for you,
Cori
Go Read the GODDAMN website and Devs Q&A before saying this
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 11:47   Link #22
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

Dear developers,

Stop ruining my childhood with your bro gamer multiplayer shooter delusions of profit.
Unlike the singleplayer RPG's where this complaint actually has some merrit, the MechWarrior franchise was always more popular among the multiplayer crowd.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 12:15   Link #23
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

If I want to play a Mech campaign it would be that squad/rts type of one, can't remember its name, was dam good though.
However the Mech singleplayer was never for me to be honest, multiplayer was the best
Old 2012-05-15, 12:33   Link #24
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

If anything the campaigns where good training for online play since the AI wasn't the quickest.

I used to play MW4 online religiously although iirc they took down the server or something so nobody could play it anymore =[

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 12:38   Link #25
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

So did they reveal how and what mech you can get at start?
Old 2012-05-15, 13:00   Link #26
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I cant remember which MW i spent most of my time on... i think it's MW4?
But it was super fun back then to rush in with an Osiris fully loaded with SRM (short range missile) shotgunning people.

Until i ran out of ammo and turn into a walking target. Really glad they finally got around to this franchise again.
Old 2012-05-15, 21:54   Link #27
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Never played MechWarrior multiplayer. Never wanted to. Don't care, want plot. Not 13 year olds calling me a fag over voice chat.

MW3 was amazing, I loved the crap out of that game and never once played it online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoRanger View Post
Go Read the GODDAMN website and Devs Q&A before saying this
Before saying what? Are you telling me there's a single-player component to this? That can be played without being connected to the Internet? That isn't just bots in a multiplayer map? That has an actual plot relevant to the Battletech universe? Show me.

You can't, because it doesn't exist, so my complaint is still valid.
Old 2012-05-16, 09:10   Link #28
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Thats kind of selling the MW community short since from my experience they where usually mature, patient and helpfull which is likely due to the slower paced gameplay and the complexity / difficulty curve the game had which was hardly a magnet for teenage fratboy (thats what counter-strike was for), besides I don't remember them having voice chat =E

That said I did like the campaigns myself but they weren't exactly..........deep.

Anyway I usually played with the super-lights (chickenmechs!) like the Owens variants since I much preferred to zoom about with hit and run tactics over just waddling in with a madcat or daishi and sponging tons of damage.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 10:11   Link #29
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Before saying what?
Quote:

Dear developers,

No love for you,
Cori
If you still haven't realized, he directed you at the Q&A since all you complained about was, simply put, milking the franchise for profit. Which is garbage since as Roger Rambo stated already, the game is FREE TO PLAY. Unless the devs are complete idiots and ruin everything by selling power for buck (which they don't seem to be, seeing as with what passion and complexity they are making this game), the situation is nowhere near what you're saying. At least give it a chance.

We get it, you're angry over a personal favorite franchise's direction, that much is obvious. But it's not our fault, no need to be all defensive over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Thats kind of selling the MW community short since from my experience they where usually mature, patient and helpfull which is likely due to the slower paced gameplay and the complexity / difficulty curve the game had which was hardly a magnet for teenage fratboy (thats what counter-strike was for), besides I don't remember them having voice chat =E
I was about to say, this franchise is still too niche for some random 13 year olds to magically appear out of thin air. It's not CoD/SW/WoW, let's be honest. Also, don't these VoIP horrors appear on consoles-only? I mean, they don't have keyboards, they have to talk (convenience). When I play BF3 on my PC, it's just some stupid messages in a small box that I don't care about anyway.
Old 2012-05-16, 12:39   Link #30
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Never played MechWarrior multiplayer. Never wanted to. Don't care, want plot. Not 13 year olds calling me a fag over voice chat.

MW3 was amazing, I loved the crap out of that game and never once played it online.
And that's what you enjoy and want from a MechWarrior game. Which is good. It is not, however, what the majority of the MechWarrior playerbase enjoys and wants. The majority enjoys the multiplayer. Heck, people are still playing only matches to this very day.

Recall for a moment the main complaint about multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. In particular the "budget will be sapped away from singleplayer" bit. This is the reverse of that. The MechWarrior franchise is mainly a multiplayer franchise, rather than waste budget on something that to the majority of the players is only a nice ribbon or a fancy training simulator all the money is being poured into what the majority of the playerbase really wants: Shooting eachother to pieces in multiplayer.
Old 2012-05-16, 13:44   Link #31
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
If you still haven't realized, he directed you at the Q&A since all you complained about was, simply put, milking the franchise for profit. Which is garbage since as Roger Rambo stated already, the game is FREE TO PLAY. Unless the devs are complete idiots and ruin everything by selling power for buck (which they don't seem to be, seeing as with what passion and complexity they are making this game), the situation is nowhere near what you're saying. At least give it a chance.
laughing so hard

You don't think this won't have a cash shop and be pay-to-win? Of course it will. How else will they make money? Why else would they make the game and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars if they weren't going to try and make money?

Look, it'll have a cash shop, either P2W or cosmetic (or both), and/or paid tournament entry fees. If it doesn't have those, then it'll be ad-supported (though I don't see in-game ads actually making enough to cover maintenance costs). It's not--cannot--be completely free. There's just no way it's going to happen, especially when they have servers to maintain--the game has various elements of persistence.
Old 2012-05-16, 14:16   Link #32
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yes, yes, a company tries to make money. How shocking. This does not change, however, that you do not need to buy the game. Thus, there is no 'sale' like the one you were complaining about.

Regardless, it is clear this MechWarrior is going to focus all it's budget and development time on the franchise's main market. The multiplayer one.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-05-16 at 14:35.
Old 2012-05-16, 15:23   Link #33
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

oh my god I can't believe how many people don't understand the phrase "no sale" is an idiom and it means the same thing as DO NOT WANT

it comes from oldschool cash registers that replace the numbers with the words "NO SALE" if the customer cancels their order after the cashier has already rung it up...

I must be getting old.
Old 2012-05-16, 15:36   Link #34
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

My sincerest apologies for not not being born in an English speaking country, thus not having that particular sort of background knowledge.

Though putting your bile aside for the moment, you are basically angry at a company for taking a good look at their main playerbase and deciding to focus on that playerbase. While this will undoubtedly disappoint the smaller single-player only playerbase, I can't really find myself disagreeing with the move. Ignoring the smaller singleplayer base to craft a better multiplayer game is, after all, the same thing as a singleplayer game ignoring multiplayer to craft a better singleplayer.
Old 2012-05-16, 16:00   Link #35
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I think it's just mounting frustration for another franchise focusing completely on or putting an emphasis on multiplayer content when she prefers the single-player aspects, regardless of how financially viable it is for the company as a whole. Something like that does tend to mount; I can see where Synae's coming from on the matter.
Old 2012-05-16, 16:09   Link #36
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That's not the point, unlike the singleplayer games where the complaints were actually valid since the main playerbase consisted out of singleplayer gamers, the main MechWarrior's playerbase has always been it's multiplayer playerbase.

If one expects games with a high singleplayer playerbase to focus on singleplayer games, one should expect games with a high multiplayer playerbase to focus on multiplayer. This is both understandable and fair.

Do I understand the disappointment? Yes. But the amount of bile being tossed around here is exaggerating the situation, if not borderline hypocritical.
Old 2012-05-16, 16:36   Link #37
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
laughing so hard

You don't think this won't have a cash shop and be pay-to-win? Of course it will. How else will they make money? Why else would they make the game and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars if they weren't going to try and make money?

Look, it'll have a cash shop, either P2W or cosmetic (or both), and/or paid tournament entry fees. If it doesn't have those, then it'll be ad-supported (though I don't see in-game ads actually making enough to cover maintenance costs). It's not--cannot--be completely free. There's just no way it's going to happen, especially when they have servers to maintain--the game has various elements of persistence.
You misunderstood. I never said they won't have microtransactions. Everyone and their grandma knows there has to be some revenue. Assuming that, I didn't elaborate further. All I'm saying is it's going to be cosmetic stuff. Laser colors or whatever, paint jobs, custom extras to slap on the mech, there's a lot of potential.

Worst case scenario, if they go with "pay €10 for 20% extra shields", people would just let it die. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
they could be lying but the company already rule that out. I can see them charge for customization like putting your name on the mech. Something that would be fun to have but not actually necessary for the game.
Yeah, stuff like that. People are crazy for the tiniest things. And because it's so cheap individually, they are much more willing to spend their money. Win/win situation.

Last edited by Larthak; 2012-05-16 at 16:47.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 16:40   Link #38
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
You misunderstood. I never said they won't have microtransactions. Everyone and their grandma knows there has to be some revenue, can't believe you'd think someone believes otherwise, so I didn't elaborate further. All I'm saying is it's going to be cosmetic stuff. Laser colors or whatever, paint jobs, custom extras to slap on the mech, there's a lot of potential.

Worst case scenario, if they go with "pay €10 for 20% extra shields", people would just let it die. Simple.
they could be lying but the company already rule that out. I can see them charge for customization like putting your name on the mech. Something that would be fun to have but not actually necessary for the game.
Old 2012-05-16, 16:47   Link #39
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Another potential store item is mechs which, while identical in stats, have a unique appearance. Classic models from old games come to mind.
Old 2012-05-16, 23:00   Link #40
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I think it's just mounting frustration for another franchise focusing completely on or putting an emphasis on multiplayer content when she prefers the single-player aspects, regardless of how financially viable it is for the company as a whole. Something like that does tend to mount; I can see where Synae's coming from on the matter.
This. So much.

It's not that I'm so angry about MW going multiplayer-only. Of course I knew that most people who played the game did so for the multiplayer.

No, the reason I'm getting frustrated is it seems every time I sneeze, another franchise goes hard in the "focus on multiplayer" direction.

I don't mind multiplayer as a general rule. I play MMOs, used to be big in the Quake 2 multiplayer scene back in the late 90s when I was a kid. It's just seriously frustrating when franchise after franchise throws all its money eggs into the multiplayer basket.

I'm still seriously pissed off that Bioware blew two hundred million bucks on SWTOR instead of developing KOTOR3.