AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-19, 16:44   Link #1041
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Okay fine, the darker kind of grey, then. Remember the first Maniwa and how he was trying to point out how manipulative Togame truly was? And one of the Maniwa's this episode suggested the reason they betrayed Togame was to help the 'Maniwa village'. I'm not saying they're good guys, but I do think that the author intends them to come across as more and more grey. I'm sure you could've seen the contrast between them and that cute little sociopath they just unleashed.
A sociopath that was defending her life against three would-be kidnappers and murderers, and who in the end was pretty decent.

Their desire for money may not be pure, unadulterated greed, but in the end they still choose to make their living by theft and murder. And betrayal was no big deal to them. As they pointed out themselves... Naruto they ain't.

They're as sympathetic as Nanami's scary. (OK, no, they're maybe 1% as sympathetic. It'd take industrial grade puppy-kitten to be as sympathetic as Nanami's scary.) But morally speaking, they don't look any better now than they did in ep1. It's only the magic of point of view and the temptation to root for the underdog that make them look that way.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 17:16   Link #1042
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Meanwhile, 7 minutes into the episode while ya'll worry about ninja, I'm thinking "what a glorious idiot he is with all that lovely hair and petite skin in front of him".

As far as the ninja.... they're colorful and take great pains to create their persona, but basically their purpose is to slaughter the less-capable and steal from others when you turn off the stage lights. Much more akin to historical ninja than any Naruto fantasy.
The banter between the ninja rather reminded me of the banter between Orcs... after all, they had clan and family as well and their own code of sorts. Occasionally, they were pretty funny.

"Ninja thrive on unfair play" but a Namami ... if she goes bad, would be Terrible with a big T.

The end was just hilarious, reminiscent of a story made up of the "in between moments".

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-04-19 at 17:52.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 17:41   Link #1043
maplehurry

Quote:
Hm, hello? "The brother is too strong, so we'll kidnap his sister so we can kill him" isn't nice.
I duno, that sounds just like what recently happened in another anime this season.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 18:10   Link #1044
kuro341
Lucky Star love anyone?

i really like the bumblebee in this episode. So far, the endings has been very good in this series (I am talking about the end fights not the ed nor the fact that its done).
This hold particularly true to the end in where
Spoiler for Spoiler:

I liked this episode.
kuro341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 19:38   Link #1045
Barandax

You can tell Nanami has insane skill back in episode 1. When Koumori Maniwa attacked the house with his throwing kunai she sensed and reacted to the danger before Shichika who did not even seem to be aware of it. It was from that event that I assumed she was way more than she seemed but I did not belive she had such a dark side to her.
Barandax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 21:16   Link #1046
tsunade666

this also explains why nanami said in episode 1. When shichika and togame are departing. She said that "will they be alrgiht? he is pretty weak" but as for episode 1 and episode 2 plus 3.... I don't see why was shichika was weak but this explains it. His sister is just insanely strong. And on her point of view shichika is weak and still needs of guidance.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 21:29   Link #1047
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

So far, my favorite episode... it not only focused on my favorite character, but showed a side of her I didn't really see coming. ^^;

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 21:37   Link #1048
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
this also explains why nanami said in episode 1. When shichika and togame are departing. She said that "will they be alrgiht? he is pretty weak" but as for episode 1 and episode 2 plus 3.... I don't see why was shichika was weak but this explains it. His sister is just insanely strong. And on her point of view shichika is weak and still needs of guidance.
I noticed that too and arrived at the same conclusion, just that I don't think anyone thought she would be this over powered.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 23:55   Link #1049
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barandax View Post
You can tell Nanami has insane skill back in episode 1. When Koumori Maniwa attacked the house with his throwing kunai she sensed and reacted to the danger before Shichika who did not even seem to be aware of it. It was from that event that I assumed she was way more than she seemed but I did not belive she had such a dark side to her.
Nanami is super strong, but i dont see her dark side, she is a caring sister, she kept her promise (even to the enemy), she did not want to take over the world, she is also very polite and soft-spoken

as for killing the ninjas, they are in the "kill or be killed" era, at least she did not celebrate after killing, like what Shichika did
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 01:34   Link #1050
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
Nanami is super strong, but i dont see her dark side, she is a caring sister, she kept her promise (even to the enemy), she did not want to take over the world, she is also very polite and soft-spoken

as for killing the ninjas, they are in the "kill or be killed" era, at least she did not celebrate after killing, like what Shichika did
And ripping your brothers nails when he was like 5yr? is somehow an act of kindness. if anything she seems more emotionless and only considers everyone has an objects to the point life or death doesn't concern her, rather she is neither good nor evil.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 01:39   Link #1051
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
And ripping your brothers nails when he was like 5yr? is somehow an act of kindness. if anything she seems more emotionless and only considers everyone has an objects to the point life or death doesn't concern her, rather she is neither good nor evil.
It could be a simple lack of understanding of other people's pain. She was a child herself, and she might not have known how painful it'd be. And even now, she could think of it as "not that painful". And remember she did it for his own good, not for kicks.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 02:19   Link #1052
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This appears to be someone who is *always* in pain..... constant pain can one pretty grouchy even if they appear to be supremely polite.
Old 2010-04-20, 02:36   Link #1053
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
A sociopath that was defending her life against three would-be kidnappers and murderers, and who in the end was pretty decent.
But a sociopath that has no qualms about torture and consideres puuling out someone's nails an act of discipline. I'm pretty sure given the tone of the episode, her creepy smile and everything, that we're supposed to be believe she's far from nice.

Quote:
Their desire for money may not be pure, unadulterated greed, but in the end they still choose to make their living by theft and murder. And betrayal was no big deal to them. As they pointed out themselves... Naruto they ain't.

They're as sympathetic as Nanami's scary. (OK, no, they're maybe 1% as sympathetic. It'd take industrial grade puppy-kitten to be as sympathetic as Nanami's scary.) But morally speaking, they don't look any better now than they did in ep1. It's only the magic of point of view and the temptation to root for the underdog that make them look that way.
Like I said, i never said they were good guys. I'm just going from the general tone. These Maniwa seemed to be given all the lines a typical good guy would be given. Just look back at the converstaion they had when the red crystal broke. What exactly was the point of that? They weren't portrayed as murderous monsters as the one in the last episode, and I'm pretty sure there's a purpose behind that.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 02:37   Link #1054
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Was Nakahara Mai doing her Rena Ryuuga voice or did Nanami just send a really cold chill down my spine as she questioned Mr. Praying Mantis?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 02:45   Link #1055
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
But a sociopath that has no qualms about torture and consideres puuling out someone's nails an act of discipline. I'm pretty sure given the tone of the episode, her creepy smile and everything, that we're supposed to be believe she's far from nice.
She's a tragic figure. She wants to die, but can't. She wants to be loved, but isn't. It's no wonder she turned sadistic, being isolated more than she already was on that island is enough to drive even the nicest person insane.

Perhaps the reason she sent Shichika with Togame was so he'd get strong enough to kill her and end her suffering, but since he's lagging she's decided to intervene and speed up the process. In any case, it's going to be one hell of a reunion. I can't wait
Old 2010-04-20, 02:49   Link #1056
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
She's a tragic figure. She wants to die, but can't. She wants to be loved, but isn't. It's no wonder she turned sadistic, being isolated more than she already was on that island is enough to drive even the nicest person insane.

Perhaps the reason she sent Shichika with Togame was so he'd get strong enough to kill her and end her suffering, but since he's lagging she's decided to intervene and speed up the process. In any case, it's going to be one hell of a reunion. I can't wait
Yes, I agree she's a tragic character aswell, but I'm not sure about her being suicidal. I'm sure she could just kill herself. I don't think her body's survival mechanism that prevents poisons and illnesses from killing her would extend THAT far. Well maybe...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-20, 03:11   Link #1057
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
That may be a bit of prophetic speculation... now to avoid any novel spoilages for the remainder of the series.
Old 2010-04-20, 03:14   Link #1058
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Yes, I agree she's a tragic character aswell, but I'm not sure about her being suicidal. I'm sure she could just kill herself. I don't think her body's survival mechanism that prevents poisons and illnesses from killing her would extend THAT far. Well maybe...
It likely does. She's probably tried dozens of methods but nothing worked. Heck, maybe the reason she allowed Shichika to fight her that one time was to see if he had anything new to offer, but since he was still 'weak' it led nowhere.

The dad probably taught Shichika a hidden move that could prove fatal if imitated, but requires an incredible degree of skill to execute. Or maybe Togame will just blind Nanami with her hair
Old 2010-04-20, 04:39   Link #1059
HandofFate

very nice episode. scary.

Spoiler for episode 4 impressions:
Old 2010-04-20, 06:20   Link #1060
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It could be a simple lack of understanding of other people's pain. She was a child herself, and she might not have known how painful it'd be. And even now, she could think of it as "not that painful". And remember she did it for his own good, not for kicks.
I said this as well, in so many words. This actually the most logical conclusion, and infact, even the torture was a logical move in their era. She has no authorities to go to, and just an unknown amount of people trying to kill her on an isolated island.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy