Notices

Old 2009-08-30, 21:38   Link #601
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Only two Kagijin and Akaboshi. Though this week akaboshi is out of the bottom 5... also Shonen Jump has the balls to cut of more than one series as they have done this before. Anyways if another new series starts or if HxH comes back someone is going bye bye.
Yes, Kagijin and Akaboshi. I figured that they rather keep series that aren't battle since Jump is rather full of it, so Medaka Box may be safe for that point, assuming Medaka Box doesn't randomly run into the battle genre for the long haul.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 23:49   Link #602
Dark Mage

I actually kinda liked this chapter. Anyways I think this page here, the bottom right hand corner sums it up pretty nicely why this manga has been going downhill, Medaka essentially says it herself ---- http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/16/08/

What I mean to say is, Medaka is a female lead in a shonen manga, who is perfect and on top of that tyrannical, as a result she doesn't get her readers to connect with her.
The other thing Medaka says in that panel, all the current student mambers idolise her too much and the only main guy ZENKICHI THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE OF ALSO FAILED TO STAND UP TO MEDAKA and as a result Zenkichi has been shafted to the side and is essentially seen as another side character, there is no real difference between Akune and Zenkichi now. And everybody hates Bishis like Akune. I hate Akune BTW

So to sum it up the lead is a tyrannical Mary-Sue female and the supposed main-guy who was supposed to keep her in check has become a lap-dog instead and is no one special to her. There are no real bonds between the supposed main guy and the female lead as the female lead treats him as any other member.
Shiranui on the other hand is awesome
Old 2009-08-31, 00:04   Link #603
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Finally this story is getting somewhere. Although a fight like this is horribly cliche, at least there is someone on her level. Fighting it out though is pretty crappy though. I also didn't know Shiranui hated Medaka. I kinda wonder why? And you should take that link out of your post, i don't think that's permitted.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 00:34   Link #604
Johnny
Working the bags...

I think Shiranui has a soft spot for Zenkichi, not going as far as romantically speaking. I think it's more along the lines to just piss Medaka off...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 00:40   Link #605
Jourdal

Wasn't Zenkichi the narrator and main character at one point? good times.

Oh and i can't stand the little enforcer bastard. But he had the best line of the chapter:

"Those tits of yours are amazing, how about i make you my woman?"
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 00:44   Link #606
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
I actually kinda liked this chapter. Anyways I think this page here, the bottom right hand corner sums it up pretty nicely why this manga has been going downhill, Medaka essentially says it herself ---- http://www.onemanga.com/Medaka_Box/16/08/

What I mean to say is, Medaka is a female lead in a shonen manga, who is perfect and on top of that tyrannical, as a result she doesn't get her readers to connect with her.
The other thing Medaka says in that panel, all the current student mambers idolise her too much and the only main guy ZENKICHI THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE OF ALSO FAILED TO STAND UP TO MEDAKA and as a result Zenkichi has been shafted to the side and is essentially seen as another side character, there is no real difference between Akune and Zenkichi now. And everybody hates Bishis like Akune. I hate Akune BTW

So to sum it up the lead is a tyrannical Mary-Sue female and the supposed main-guy who was supposed to keep her in check has become a lap-dog instead and is no one special to her. There are no real bonds between the supposed main guy and the female lead as the female lead treats him as any other member.
Shiranui on the other hand is awesome
Sums up my feelings pretty well! Good post, Dark Mage. This chapter was a step up from the others, but there's still several things that rub me the wrong way.

Good points:
-Shiranui saying she can't stand Medaka. Finally someone who doesn't like Medaka who isn't portrayed as blatantly evil.
-Medaka getting smacked around
-Medaka actually admitting that she's a tyrant (which is actually a character flaw).
-Some actual plot, even if it is small.

Bad points:
-Zenkichi getting two pages and basically being confirmed as a side character. Plus, with Medaka's little speech about needing someone to stand up to her, his chances of becoming VP is basically nil as that role will obviously to to Onigase or Unzen. She even confirms that he's no better than Akne or Kikaijima by saying that they're all too fond of her. That's not the way one speaks about someone you care about. Plus, I really think he's going to get his butt kicked by that girl.
-The current arc has been done a thousand times before with the whole Malcom-X vs Martin Luther King type thing. It's force vs peace again, just like the X-Men vs the Brotherhood.
-Still no explanation as to why these guys are stronger than everyone else in whatever they do besides being "elites" or "geniuses".
-Any sort of realism has been thrown out the window. Suspension of disbelief almost impossible now.
-Super powered geniuses are taking over the entire manga while any normal, non super is being pushed to the side. Zen has become the Krillin of Medaka Box (and he's supposed to be the main character).
-Characters are still one dimensional so we could care less if the Enforcers kill them, especially Akune.

I really hope that if Onigase or the kid do become VP that Zen says "F this" and leaves. Otherwise, this manga really will go nowhere. Medaka is not a popular character and it has to refocus on him, not her or it'll stay at the bottom.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 00:49   Link #607
Dark Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
Wasn't Zenkichi the narrator and main character at one point? good times.

Oh and i can't stand the little enforcer bastard. But he had the best line of the chapter:

"Those tits of yours are amazing, how about i make you my woman?"
Yeah they were Good Times but now a thing of the past.

And that line LOLd at that while reading
Old 2009-08-31, 00:52   Link #608
Jourdal

@Dark Mage - I expected him to have a nasty way of speaking but damn i lol'd

@KLG - Again you've summed up my feelings..when Medaka was at the side i liked the series, and now that Zen is at the side im starting to hate it. Coincidence? i doubt it. I haven't seen a main character treated like crap this much so early since Naruto prior to the chuunin exam. Kirllin is a pretty good way to assess Zenkichi's current role.

However i disagree with one point..i think he'll take out that enforcer.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 01:10   Link #609
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourdal View Post
@Dark Mage - I expected him to have a nasty way of speaking but damn i lol'd

@KLG - Again you've summed up my feelings..when Medaka was at the side i liked the series, and now that Zen is at the side im starting to hate it. Coincidence? i doubt it. I haven't seen a main character treated like crap this much so early since Naruto prior to the chuunin exam. Kirllin is a pretty good way to assess Zenkichi's current role.

However i disagree with one point..i think he'll take out that enforcer.
You're probably right about that one point. We'll see Medaka talking to Unzen and she'll make some cliché speech about how she believes in them and they'll all pull through, even Zen. Though I find it funny that they sent the woman to fight him and a guy to fight Kikaijima.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 01:44   Link #610
gonzo562

terrible chapter i didnt enjoy it . That new kid as the new villain bleh
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 02:06   Link #611
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
You're probably right about that one point. We'll see Medaka talking to Unzen and she'll make some cliché speech about how she believes in them and they'll all pull through, even Zen. Though I find it funny that they sent the woman to fight him and a guy to fight Kikaijima.
I think you pretty much just spoiled the rest of the arc with that one lol.

I didnt really like Shiranui up to this point, but man did that changed. As Medaka says, It feels really refreshing to see someone, whose fairly normal, actually going up against her. Pity, it would have been better if Zen was the one too do it, but hes too much of a normal love-blinded wimp to go against her will.
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 02:13   Link #612
Jze0
Hmmm...

I also agree with KLGChaoson on how he summed up the series. Best chapter in a while.

Is it just me or did Shiranui get even more awesome. Like I said in my opening post, I knew something was up with her since the beginning but who knew she hated Medaka so much but then again maybe it was obvious. Really loved the tension between the two, hope to see more of it. Also Medaka thinks Shiranui is a good canidate for VP, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen, she definitely has the criteria for the position.
Old 2009-08-31, 02:28   Link #613
Qilin
Romanticist

I never really had any issues concerning the believability of the plot. I guess I never really took this manga too seriously from the start. In fact, I'm loving the sheer ridiculousness of everything that's happening. So I'm not really seeing that many problems with the latest chapter. When the plot starts getting really deadpan serious, is when I'll start protesting.

I'm actually enjoying the whole Rousseau vs. Hobbes debate they have going here...

I really hope this one doesn't follow in the footsteps of Double Arts. It's not often that I get to enjoy an over-the-top comedy series in Jump.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 02:33   Link #614
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jze0 View Post
I also agree with KLGChaoson on how he summed up the series. Best chapter in a while.

Is it just me or did Shiranui get even more awesome. Like I said in my opening post, I knew something was up with her since the beginning but who knew she hated Medaka so much but then again maybe it was obvious. Really loved the tension between the two, hope to see more of it. Also Medaka thinks Shiranui is a good canidate for VP, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen, she definitely has the criteria for the position.
I hope she doesnt join... That way she will never get controlled by Medaka and doesn't become another lapdog like Zen.

Quote:
I really hope this one doesn't follow in the footsteps of Double Arts. It's not often that I get to enjoy an over-the-top comedy series in Jump.
Ever heard of Gintama? It has more gags and over the top comedy that you will ever need.
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 02:41   Link #615
Jze0
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
I hope she doesnt join... That way she will never get controlled by Medaka and doesn't become another lapdog like Zen.
Yeah... but the point of her joining is for her to appose Medaka, thats why she suggested it. Hmmm... then again she could do that without joining but I just want to see them butt heads more.
Old 2009-08-31, 02:52   Link #616
ShiroiRyu

About the manga...
The news mangas are new...
If you saw... Beelzebub TOO is on the the final top 5...
For Shiranui, she is a little b... but i like her...
Her way to speak and others things.
Meanwhile, i prefer to say it's "Medaka Box" and not "Zen Box". It's normal for her to be the main character... But not normal the others are all side characters...
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 03:10   Link #617
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
If you saw... Beelzebub TOO is on the the final top 5...
Beelzebub is a hit, it's been rating high most of the year and its not like TOC matters all the time. D-Gray Man did shit on the TOC but it sells better than every manga in SJ aside from OP, Naruto, Bleach and HunterXHunter.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 03:10   Link #618
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
ShiroiRyu, so according your logic Harhi's main character is Haruhi? Weird since though she is in the center of things, the main character is considered to be Kyon for some reason.

Name dos not really tell who is the main character. Medaka at first seemed like Haruhi in that sense where Zen looked like a main character. Now though it seems like he is part of side-characters group. And while there are popular shounens with female main characters, but female main with a reversed harem I am afraid can be bit too much, and as we see from ratings, it really is.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 04:12   Link #619
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've got nothing against this story arc going into the battle manga territory, because at the same time it's the same Medaka Box that i've been enjoying since the start. Here's hoping they don't go way out of control with it.
Old 2009-08-31, 04:46   Link #620
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
As for fight. Well it could have been a fight between similar characters. Kikaijima would fight against other girl, Akune against other bishi bastard and Zen against a dog.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council