AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-29, 03:59   Link #761
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Yes. But one or two series a year is still pretty piss poor for a pretty well known studio in my eyes.
They want to keep quality high and that's how they do it.

Quote:
Myself, MAL and ANN disagrees with you.
That's nice. How is it a slice-of-life show?
Old 2011-11-29, 04:00   Link #762
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

Studios like Production IG, Madhouse, Bones, Gainax etc also make slice of life and moe shows too. Heck, even the hated DEEN and J C Staff diversify much more than Kyoani does (too bad their adaptations tend to fail a lot of the time).
I myself would like to see Kyoto Animation apply its talents to an action-packed show, because I think it has a lot of untapped potential there (Nichijou displays this in dramatic fashion). But I'm not sure why it's so important to diversify to the extent that you hit on each and every genre out there.

KyoAni does certain things extremely well. There's some diversity amongst those certain things. That's enough, imo. I don't see why it's important for KyoAni to do grimdark and horror. I just want it to do more than slice of life/moe alone because its animation abilities are almost wasted if it doesn't do anything beyond that.

Quote:
Guess we are strong disagreement for this . To me, I found Haruhi's sci-fi elements as serious as I did Code Geass's or the currently airing Guilty Crown's sci-fi elements. Haruhi was a slice of life first, drama/sci-fi second to me. Was enjoyable though, don't get me wrong on that.
Of what's been adapted so far (other than Disappearance), I don't necessarily disagree with you.

My point is that this shifts in what is left to be adapted. The Haruhi novels gradually become increasingly drama/sci-fi, imo. Just think of Steins;Gate (its first half vs. its second half).
Old 2011-11-29, 04:02   Link #763
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
That's nice. How is it a slice-of-life show?
It's about a group of people in a high school club that does everyday activities to keep a "God" (Haruhi) happy with a few sci-fi/supernatural and mystery clinks here and there. Sounds slice of life to me.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:06   Link #764
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
KyoAni does certain things extremely well. There's some diversity amongst those certain things. That's enough, imo. I don't see why it's important for KyoAni to do grimdark and horror.
Grimdark isn't even a genre. It refers to tone, and I can't imagine a KyoAni show being like that. It doesn't FIT them.

Quote:
It's about a group of people in a high school club that does everyday activities to keep a "God" (Haruhi) happy with a few sci-fi/supernatural and mystery clinks here and there. Sounds slice of life to me.
With a couple of exceptions, almost every single story in the novels is centered around those supernatural elements. You're downplaying their importance.

The activities of the SOS Brigade are definitely not 'everyday'.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:09   Link #765
brocko

On KyoAni not doing much this year.

To be fair, they had two movies to work on within this past year or two. And the last few years looked like a pretty hectic production schedule as well (first time doing a 52 episode show, movie(s) in the pipeline and two shows at once). They very well may've overextended themselves a little these past few years and perhaps might've wanted a little break or to revert back to something that more resembles their old production schedule.

EDIT: Damn this thread's moving fast right now lol

Also another theory. Maybe they just spent 2011 working on stuff for the years to come. 2011 may've just been bad timing where none of their projects would've been completed in time or perhaps Nichijou was just really that labour intensive.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2011-11-29 at 04:21.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:15   Link #766
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

With a couple of exceptions, almost every single story in the novels is centered around those supernatural elements. You're downplaying their importance.
In fairness to Demi Soda, I think that the out of order episode airing in 2006 makes it all feel more episodic (and hence "slice of life") than what it actually is.

If you watch the Melancholy arc in in-canon chronological order, it comes across as pretty serious drama/sci-fi, imo.
Old 2011-11-29, 04:21   Link #767
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Haruhi is a lot of things, and doesn't easily fit into a single genre. That's why it stands out to me at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Edit: Oh, and arguably 7 of those *28 episodes shouldn't count, lol. One thing that should be said here is that Haruhi 2009 wasn't terribly satisfying to a lot of Haruhi fans due to E8.
I didn't want to start that discussion again, lol. So I just left it at 28 instead of 22 (I'd say 2-3 can be counted) It's best not to, before I get even more annoyed at the franchise for playing us like a violin.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-29, 04:53   Link #768
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Haruhi is a lot of things, and doesn't easily fit into a single genre. That's why it stands out to me at least.
Haruhi is everything. This is what she demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias
Add the fact that Endless Eight still gives me nightmares...sigh...and to think I once held Kyoani in high regards
Well then... you'd enjoy this. XD

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=3223
Old 2011-11-29, 10:51   Link #769
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Damn, I feel like I just had a really bad trip after watching a bit of that. But it does place in perspective how even considering that the plot is virtually identical each and every time they really took the time to redo the episode for every single version. Utterly insane in my book!

Anyway and back on topic: did people really expect KyoAni to speed up? Do people who say that even consider why is it that, even when the shows flop, KyoAni's works always exibit a considerable amount of technical quality on virtually every level related to their production?

If you look back the single time when they actually speed up we got the "K-On'ification" of Haruhi's designs and corresponding rage by the fans that KyoAni was "loosing it's edge".

Quality takes time and KyoAni has always been very good at managing it so don't expect them to suddenly up their pace. If they did that it wouldn't be hard picturing them turning into something like J.C.Staff or, Haruhi forbid, Deen.

I'm as saddened as everyone else here for not to having more Haruhi (and even sadder still for not having more Full Metal Panic!) but I for one will give KyoAni the same benefit of the doubt I gave them with Nichijou. Heck, I started out thinking that show was sub-par and ended up enjoying it when the second halve reveled itself quite entertaining even if it never reached genius levels.
Old 2011-11-29, 11:47   Link #770
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Kadokawa Has No Plans for 3rd Haruhi TV Season

Welp. You disappoint me, Kadokawa. This doesn't completely rule out a possible 3rd season, but is still incredibly cringe-inducing. It's one thing to delay a current cash-cow franchise, but it's something else entirely to ignore it like this.
Old 2011-11-29, 11:54   Link #771
Westlo
Lets be reality

Would you rather they churned out a Haruhi ever year and than you'll have a 5 year or longer wait for the final one? If the Haruhi author had Nisio's writing output (which is amazing when you see how much goes into each LN unlike most) I doubt it would be spaced out as much, facts are you had a 4 year gap (which funnily enough is going to be longer than any Haruhi anime gap) from novels 9 to 10+11. What's to stop that from happening again? What if novels 12+13 come out to finish the series in 2016, I'm sure you would love a 6 year wait for season 4 anime...
Old 2011-11-29, 12:05   Link #772
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Would you rather they churned out a Haruhi ever year and than you'll have a 5 year or longer wait for the final one? If the Haruhi author had Nisio's writing output (which is amazing when you see how much goes into each LN unlike most) I doubt it would be spaced out as much, facts are you had a 4 year gap (which funnily enough is going to be longer than any Haruhi anime gap) from novels 9 to 10+11. What's to stop that from happening again? What if novels 12+13 come out to finish the series in 2016, I'm sure you would love a 6 year wait for season 4 anime...
I don't think anyone here wants a Haruhi anime every year, and I'd be content to wait several years for another season, but it's very disconcerting to know that Kadokawa doesn't even have a plan made for the third season. It strikes me as horribly unprofessional and downright sloppy. Of course, they could just be trolling again, but I won't count on it.
Old 2011-11-29, 12:09   Link #773
Westlo
Lets be reality

In this thread we take typical PR talk downplaying something about potential leaks of something seriously.
Old 2011-11-29, 13:31   Link #774
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Welp. You disappoint me, Kadokawa. This doesn't completely rule out a possible 3rd season, but is still incredibly cringe-inducing. It's one thing to delay a current cash-cow franchise, but it's something else entirely to ignore it like this.
See? I told you they hated money. This is it. This is confirmation that they actually hate money. Why would anyone do this? It makes no sense. No other company does this. It's insane.
Old 2011-11-29, 13:35   Link #775
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
See? I told you they hated money. This is it. This is confirmation that they actually hate money. Why would anyone do this? It makes no sense. No other company does this. It's insane.
Gen Urobuchi said a few months ago there was no plan for a madoka sequel,...
Old 2011-11-29, 13:41   Link #776
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Gen Urobuchi said a few months ago there was no plan for a madoka sequel,...
They're not doing a sequel, they're doing three films, two of them recaps, which is a stupid idea.

If they do a film of Intrigues, I swear...
Old 2011-11-29, 13:49   Link #777
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
They're not doing a sequel, they're doing three films, two of them recaps, which is a stupid idea.

If they do a film of Intrigues, I swear...
Regardless of what you think of it or if that 3rd movie will be a sequel or something else I was just trying to say that just because someone says there's no plan for something doesn't mean that won't change .

That statement by KadoKawa to me just sounds like "no,Aya Hirano isn't secretly dubbing a 3rd season of Harushi"
Old 2011-11-29, 14:12   Link #778
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Regardless of what you think of it or if that 3rd movie will be a sequel or something else I was just trying to say that just because someone says there's no plan for something doesn't mean that won't change .

That statement by KadoKawa to me just sounds like "no,Aya Hirano isn't secretly dubbing a 3rd season of Haruhi"
bingo.

blablabla... Its almost guaranteed there will be another haruhi anime, maybe not next year or even 2013, but they will make it regardless.

What's the friggin rush anyway? they already cover like 5 out of 11 novel isn't it? And the novel itself have no definite schedule on its release lol.

There is more guarantee in KyoAni will animate all of haruhi book than Shaft will animate all of the rest monogatari series.
Old 2011-11-29, 14:15   Link #779
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
blablabla... Its almost guaranteed there will be another haruhi anime, maybe not next year or even 2013, but they will make it regardless.
Okay, what reason do you have for thinking this?
Old 2011-11-29, 14:31   Link #780
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Okay, what reason do you have for thinking this?
Money. nuff said.
Plz your comment about they hate money is downright stupid.

They just not in rush making another sequel that is it with the novel have no definite schedule and all the stuff.

Tags
studios