AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-03, 14:22   Link #81
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

As of this moment Fanzub is down. The cause appears to be a catastrophic failure of the main OS drive (SSD). I can still access the server using KVM-over-IP, but it won't boot.

The good news is that I was already planning on moving Fanzub to another server anyway, the bad news is that I now have to do so in a hurried, non-planned fashion from backups rather than straight server-to-server.

I'll try to have Fanzub back online within a few hours of this post, but be aware the scripts of the sites will need to catch up on 12~18 hours worth of posts, this might also affect order of things in RSS feeds etc. There is also the problem of DNS not having been adjusted to allow for a quick change-over, so in worst case scenario it might take up to 24 hours for the site to become responsive again (when DNS finally updates).

TL;DR: I know Fanzub is down, I'm working on it.

Last edited by GHDpro; 2013-07-03 at 19:01.
Old 2013-07-03, 14:36   Link #82
Haiprbim
Banned

Thanks for keeping us updated.
I want to ask though, how did you find out that the reason is a failure of the main OS drive and not an attack?
Old 2013-07-03, 16:07   Link #83
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated.
I want to ask though, how did you find out that the reason is a failure of the main OS drive and not an attack?
Because I could see the console (screen) output using KVM-over-IP (remote access) and it was filled with statements like "I/O error" etc. I've had this happen before: SSDs can fail. Sometimes the server can still boot if you try to reset it when this happens, other times (like now unfortunately) it goes dead (server no longer seems to recognize it as a boot drive at all).

Anyway, progress on getting the site working again looks good: the site & database have been restored. I'm now looking into getting the scripts that keep the site updated to run again (and catch up again on what hadn't been backed up). After that is getting searching to work again (which uses an external search engine called SphinxSearch, which I need to reinstall & get working). After that is done, I'll change DNS (so that everyone for which DNS is up-to-date can access as usual again).
Old 2013-07-03, 16:15   Link #84
Haiprbim
Banned

Good to hear that there is some nice progress.

As far as I hear from what you say, I think that the main issue is that the servers are outdated as well as their maintenance.
Although the source and the content might be slow and easy going, the updates and the maintenance should be constant, otherwise an unexpected failure can be very much expected.

Anyhow, I'm not the one who should be loud here. You said the progress is good, thumbs up.
Old 2013-07-03, 17:07   Link #85
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well the main lesson I've learned is not to use a single SSD as boot drive for a server. Use some kind of RAID solution instead (which is what the forum server is using btw).

Anyway, Fanzub should be back online!

However it may take some time for DNS to update.
Old 2013-07-03, 17:23   Link #86
cyberbeing

Around 10 minutes ago only the RSS feed was loading, but a few minutes after that the main site started working as well. Thanks, GHDpro.

Seems the DNS servers are updating quicker than expected. The only major provider lagging behind with the old IP address is Google DNS.
Old 2013-07-08, 01:18   Link #87
Comfun

Thumbs up

thx ghdpro for the update and for the hard work you put in it to make the change so fast
Old 2013-08-30, 23:51   Link #88
edicius

I want to help bring anime to usenet....i only 5mbps upstream but i should be able to helps. I need my anime on usenet ):

The updates from the past 24 hours are missing or something not allowing them to populate to different servers...saddest day
Old 2013-08-31, 15:03   Link #89
TBDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicius View Post
The updates from the past 24 hours are missing or something not allowing them to populate to different servers...saddest day
I noticed the same problem and came here to check it out. Anybody know what's up with this?

Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.
Old 2013-08-31, 18:54   Link #90
xtremej

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDave View Post
I noticed the same problem and came here to check it out. Anybody know what's up with this?

Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.
Yea I'm having the same issue, had to switch over to torrent for the time being. I really hope this isn't because of some copyright infringement notice; had 3 of my past favorite NZB sites shut down because of it this year
Old 2013-09-01, 05:23   Link #91
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Most anime is reposted (from torrents I presume) on Usenet by Comfun, which uses some kind of automated system for this (scripts that download & repost). I presume something broke in that system (which could be anything from a simple problem, hardware issue, connectivity issue, or maybe a legal issue with his Usenet posting account).

I've sent Comfun a PM about it, but I'm not sure how fast he will respond to that.
Old 2013-09-01, 06:33   Link #92
TBDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I've sent Comfun a PM about it, but I'm not sure how fast he will respond to that.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully things are ok on his end and it's just a temporary glitch.
Old 2013-09-02, 16:45   Link #93
nervana1

Comfun probably on vacation.
Old 2013-09-03, 02:46   Link #94
edicius

you took down my pining for comfun's return...but for those of who <3 usenet; he/them (or whomever comfun may be)...he really was the only one keeping things alive. I even crawled the web for a contact method, but all i can find is an outdated twitter...perhaps he got tired of the work for no reward...

I hope he does return soon...every series that has been kept up to date by him on Usenet (practically all currently airing) have died off in a period of 5 days now. It is disheartening.

Last edited by edicius; 2013-09-03 at 03:03.
Old 2013-09-03, 02:54   Link #95
edicius

Personally if i had the motivation I think generating a crowd-sourced method of replicating fansubbed releases to Usenet could be possible. But my motivation, ambition, and rusting coding abilities aren't really up to any such effort.

edit: the fact that I have returned to downloading from pay hosts (a la megaupload) as my only viable option sucks. And without the throughput maximizing speed of usenet it is truly a waste of the 100mbps downstream at my permanent residence. If I get Google Fiber soon (not to give away my location), I would gladly take comfun's place...but my suburb of the Google Fiber area seems to be the last one to be offered it in the Metro area.

Last edited by edicius; 2013-09-03 at 03:16.
Old 2013-09-03, 04:09   Link #96
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicius View Post
I hope he does return soon...every series that has been kept up to date by him on Usenet (practically all currently airing) have died off in a period of 5 days now. It is disheartening.
Ditto. There's no better download service than Usenet and to not have anime grace its servers is incredibly disheartening.
Old 2013-09-03, 16:09   Link #97
Cpuroast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Most anime is reposted (from torrents I presume) on Usenet by Comfun, which uses some kind of automated system for this (scripts that download & repost). I presume something broke in that system (which could be anything from a simple problem, hardware issue, connectivity issue, or maybe a legal issue with his Usenet posting account).

I hope he resumes, I've had to revert to good old xdcc while waiting.
Old 2013-09-04, 08:24   Link #98
firehawk12

I'll admit, I had no idea that this was all done by a single person until I noticed that the indexes have dried up and that there haven't been new episodes up in a while. I hope Comfun resumes, because I've certainly taken it for granted and it's sorely missed.
Old 2013-09-04, 17:47   Link #99
WolfDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk12 View Post
I'll admit, I had no idea that this was all done by a single person until I noticed that the indexes have dried up and that there haven't been new episodes up in a while. I hope Comfun resumes, because I've certainly taken it for granted and it's sorely missed.
Yeah I thought for sure there were different people posting stuff to usenet. Though someone appears to be putting up a few of the 1080p versions of a few things but they're coming much later than when comfun was posting them. I wish HorribleSubs would also upload to usenet, they put their stuff up practically everywhere else!
Old 2013-09-09, 21:54   Link #100
WolfDemon

Any word from comfun yet?
Closed Thread

Tags
wiki candidate