AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2014-06-15, 09:54   Link #53421
False Prophet
Suffer in Lake of Fire

That evening, Barney led Ichika to the Laser Tag arena. After putting on the pads (Barney decided to be generous and talked to McCraken for a brand-new suits), Barney gave the boy one of the gun.

"Here. Stand tall, head high, right leg in front." He carefully adjusted his student's stand. "Use both of your hands. Index finger on the trigger. Got it?"

Ichika nodded enthusiastically. He seemed very excited with his new toy, repeatedly twirling it like the cowboy in movies, but the clumsy boy dropped it in every attempt.

"Taking your time to aim, but not too long. Remember to always moving. And shoot first, question latter."

To Barney's surprise, Ichika immidiately shot the laser directly on the man's forehead.

"I've got a question!"

Well, that was short. I suspose that I need to add something.

Also, I know why a lot of people don't like Gary Stu OC, but why so many loves Gary Stu Ichika? I mean, sure, none like his original state, but should we make him that dark/overpowered? I just don't recognize him.
False Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 10:07   Link #53422
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That's possession stu. And no, it's not a good thing. Then again the source material was never great to begin with.

Also, Doctor Who is. Comedic but not a. Sitcom. It's a series.

Sitcom is like King of Queens, Friends, Becker, Seinfeld, Cheers, Big Bang Theory.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 10:09   Link #53423
OHIMESAMA

They want to see him overcome all his faults and turn into the ideal hero destined for greatness.
I know because I'm one of those people.

But as to him become dark/overpowered, that's the preference of the author. Besides being dark/overpowered Ichika is better than being weak and a pushover Ichika.

As for those who hate OC gary stu fics, especially in IS, they don't recognize it as a part of the IS fandom anymore. Because whether we like it or not, Ichika is one of the factors that define IS from the rest. Being the densest MC and all.
OHIMESAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 10:11   Link #53424
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Possession stu at least have use for canon characters, especially Ichika.

Marty Stu OC just pure unadulterated marginalization of canon character and sometimes shamelessly full on bashing.
Old 2014-06-15, 10:50   Link #53425
False Prophet
Suffer in Lake of Fire

Hmm... But isn't a lot of people hate Tatsuya and Kirito because of their perfection?

(Of course that the opposite also exist.)

For me, it's fine to have an overpowered protagonist as long as the lives of other characters don't revolve around him. You could be the best at one thing, but you can't be the best at everything and the world stop (or even reverse) for you, right?

Also, Dr.Who. Well, it's comedic, but it's just that the British type is kind of strange to me.
Old 2014-06-15, 10:55   Link #53426
bitmeister
Expert Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
Sitcom is like King of Queens, Friends, Becker, Seinfeld, Cheers, Big Bang Theory.
The animesuki forums:
Where everybody knows your name,
And they're so glad that you came.
bitmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 11:25   Link #53427
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Prophet View Post
Hmm... But isn't a lot of people hate Tatsuya and Kirito because of their perfection?

(Of course that the opposite also exist.)
> Kirito
> Perfection

... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm sorry I had to laugh.

Quote:
For me, it's fine to have an overpowered protagonist as long as the lives of other characters don't revolve around him. You could be the best at one thing, but you can't be the best at everything and the world stop (or even reverse) for you, right?
I'm with you there. A good example for me would be the Arifureta LN (you can find the sub forum for it on AS. I can't remember the full name).
Lhklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 11:47   Link #53428
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Kirito's not perfect, but the plot DOES revolve around him. But Tatsuya... comparing Kirito to him is greatest insult of the century.

Tatsuya just childish ego masturbation fueled by right wing nationalism, pure power trip entertainment and guilty pleasure.

As for Ichika... I dunno, it's not like every fanfic writer decided an universal standard for his power level, therefore, that generalization is invalid.
Old 2014-06-15, 11:54   Link #53429
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I contemplated that Ichika is the type that wins by ham-fisted plot. When the author wants him to win, he just wins. There is neither rhyme nor reason for it. He just does. Maybe something really left-field flies in an slams into the enemy? *coughTatenashicough* But mostly he's just a jap wanker. At least that's what I think so.

I actually thought up what if an anti-Ichika OC was made. One that is a foreigner. Snarky and non-subjective when it comes to nationality and intensely self-aware and intelligently breaks the 4th wall on a regular basis.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 18:06   Link #53430
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Char almost fit the bill... Until she got infected too.

Can't say Riz fits the bill. although genre - conscious and with a sharp tongue, I didn't see the need to break the fourth wall.
Old 2014-06-15, 20:18   Link #53431
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
Kirito's not perfect, but the plot DOES revolve around him. But Tatsuya... comparing Kirito to him is greatest insult of the century.

Tatsuya just childish ego masturbation fueled by right wing nationalism, pure power trip entertainment and guilty pleasure.

As for Ichika... I dunno, it's not like every fanfic writer decided an universal standard for his power level, therefore, that generalization is invalid.
I actually hates Kirito more than Tatsuya, probably because of over saturation.

Another thing I hate is that in my mind, I see Kirito as not trading something for his power. At least Tatsuya traded something for it. Kirito? Nada.
Lhklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 20:26   Link #53432
False Prophet
Suffer in Lake of Fire

Aren't Ichika's power/past directly proportional to the fic popularity? For example:

The Fallen Sakura Petal: 4 chapters, 6,000 words, 15 reviews, 28 favorites, 41 follows.

Infinite Stratos the Mirror Verse: 7 chapters, 56,000 words, 67 reviews, 85 favorite, 119 follows.

White Expression: 4 chapters, 9,000 words, 132 reviews, 245 favorites, 283 follows.

The King Shackled by The Black Chain of Heaven: 5 chapters, 51,000 words, 155 reviews, 284 favorites, 275 follows.
Old 2014-06-15, 22:38   Link #53433
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Popularity =/= writing quality

Old Man hawke's fic are the most well written of the bunch, yet constantly got bashed and flamed
Old 2014-06-15, 22:53   Link #53434
False Prophet
Suffer in Lake of Fire

You mean the author of the Dr.Who crossover? I noticed him has a strange aura in writing.
Old 2014-06-15, 23:06   Link #53435
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

He had written long before modern website is a thing

It's most likely different mindset
Old 2014-06-15, 23:55   Link #53436
bitmeister
Expert Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
I actually thought up what if an anti-Ichika OC was made. One that is a foreigner. Snarky and non-subjective when it comes to nationality and intensely self-aware and intelligently breaks the 4th wall on a regular basis.
AKA every [expletive self-censored for its longness and creative profanity] you ever run into, minus the 4th wall breaking, because this is real life. (Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality, open your eyes, look up to the skies and seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
bitmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-16, 01:28   Link #53437
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Aren't Ichika's power/past directly proportional to the fic popularity? For example:

The Fallen Sakura Petal: 4 chapters, 6,000 words, 15 reviews, 28 favorites, 41 follows.

Infinite Stratos the Mirror Verse: 7 chapters, 56,000 words, 67 reviews, 85 favorite, 119 follows.

White Expression: 4 chapters, 9,000 words, 132 reviews, 245 favorites, 283 follows.

The King Shackled by The Black Chain of Heaven: 5 chapters, 51,000 words, 155 reviews, 284 favorites, 275 follows.
My fic doesn't have Ichika well... yet.

Rated: Fiction K+ - English - Sci-Fi/Adventure - Chapters: 3 - Words: 6,719 - Reviews: 6 - Favs: 4 - Follows: 6 - Updated: Mar 20 - Published: Nov 19, 2011

Confirmation bias much?
Old 2014-06-16, 01:54   Link #53438
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

The least popular I.S. story I have has Ichika dead

....so yeah, not helping this case.
Old 2014-06-16, 04:14   Link #53439
DarkJak2050

Same here, because my Fic is an OC story.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-16, 05:36   Link #53440
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
I noticed him has a strange aura in writing.
- It's called insanity. Gibbering, sputtering madness. the kind that if it is ever mastered may eventually lead to the likes of those like George R. R. Martin. (giggles)

...No I'm not there yet. Not enough people have died in brutally horrible but morbidly funny ways in my fics yet.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest