AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-11-14, 04:37   Link #21
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

dammit I wish that I have reserved the game...I wanted to hear Mario talk to me about the game on the phone...
Gonna get this game sometime this week and reading all the posts about this game, seems to be Mario's greatest adventure yet.
But dying after 3 hits? Thats a bit weird...I would think that they would go with Mario 64's damage meter, where Mario has 8 points until he is out.
But the extra lives with Star bits seems to make up for that loss...from the videos that I've been seeing, there are alot of star bits around the areas.
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 05:13   Link #22
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Oh yes, there are quite a few starbits. And on top of it all, there's a free 1-UP in the Observatory every time you enter and exit a level. Also, in some levels, there is a mushroom that gives you an additional 3 hits to your gauge. Once you go below 4, it returns to normal, so you can't recover back up to 6. This leads me to believe later in the game there will be greater upgrades. (You know, the manual probably answers this in part, but I'm too lazy to go read it.)

I also found an advantage to co-op mode. Before I stated that it's not really necessary since you can multi-task, but there arises an exception. There are stand alone stages, kind of like the Fludd-less retro stages in Mario Sunshine, with various gimmicks to them. In some of these, the remote becomes the primary controller, and your tilting of it controls whatever you're riding (Super Monkey Ball!). In these situations, grabbing the star bits without tilting so far you fall off the edge can at times get tricky, so I suppose if you have a friend that's raring to go bit hunting for you, that would be the most useful time for them to do so.

Also - it seems there are a lot of nods to former Mario titles in this. Redone music from stages in Mario 3, for example, and the mole guys that throw wrenches at you. Ah, memories.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 05:21   Link #23
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
Oh yes, there are quite a few starbits. And on top of it all, there's a free 1-UP in the Observatory every time you enter and exit a level. Also, in some levels, there is a mushroom that gives you an additional 3 hits to your gauge. Once you go below 4, it returns to normal, so you can't recover back up to 6. This leads me to believe later in the game there will be greater upgrades. (You know, the manual probably answers this in part, but I'm too lazy to go read it.)

I also found an advantage to co-op mode. Before I stated that it's not really necessary since you can multi-task, but there arises an exception. There are stand alone stages, kind of like the Fludd-less retro stages in Mario Sunshine, with various gimmicks to them. In some of these, the remote becomes the primary controller, and your tilting of it controls whatever you're riding (Super Monkey Ball!). In these situations, grabbing the star bits without tilting so far you fall off the edge can at times get tricky, so I suppose if you have a friend that's raring to go bit hunting for you, that would be the most useful time for them to do so.

Also - it seems there are a lot of nods to former Mario titles in this. Redone music from stages in Mario 3, for example, and the mole guys that throw wrenches at you. Ah, memories.
yea, especially the intro...I won't give out what happened (my urge to find out what happens in the intro before I get the game...errr), but they have remixed the Super Mario 3 theme for those battleships...took me sometime before I actually recognized the tune.
Old 2007-11-17, 05:18   Link #24
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Playing on, there are even more nods to old Mario games than I thought there would have been. It's like an extra level of enjoyment for those that remember those games (or who don't, but played the GBA remakes). For example, in a couple of the levels, the boss is a large Magikoopa who when defeated will toss its scepter into the air before the star is released (SMB3). To complete the image, both times when you fight this boss, you're on a ship.

Now that I've gotten a good way into the game (90/121 stars), I think it's safe to say that Galaxy is overall easier than Sunshine was, though the past few stages have been picking up in difficulty, some had me annoyed, and the 3 hits and you're gone thing can lead to some horribly cheap ends to a level. There's also the comet challenges, which, depending on the level, will add a new objective to the galaxy. Speed runs, sped up enemies, races, and my favorite - Daredevil Runs. It pits you against a boss of that level but allows you only one hit before you're gone. On some this is rather simple, but others make it a pain in your neck (Bouldergeist! ><)

One of the big things that I continue to love in the game is the music. There are a lot of old remixes, but some of the original music for the levels is fantastic. My personal favorite at the moment is the Bowser battle theme, which kicks into a choir when you score a hit. I've also found myself whistling the tune from the Fire/Ice Flower power-up. Catchy.

I know by this time I'm probably only preaching to the choir, but I kind of just need a chance to go "omg omg omg!", since few others around here and on other boards I frequent own a copy.
Old 2007-11-17, 11:01   Link #25
lequory
People hate good theories

Quote:
Playing on, there are even more nods to old Mario games than I thought there would have been. It's like an extra level of enjoyment for those that remember those games (or who don't, but played the GBA remakes). For example, in a couple of the levels, the boss is a large Magikoopa who when defeated will toss its scepter into the air before the star is released (SMB3). To complete the image, both times when you fight this boss, you're on a ship.

Now that I've gotten a good way into the game (90/121 stars), I think it's safe to say that Galaxy is overall easier than Sunshine was, though the past few stages have been picking up in difficulty, some had me annoyed, and the 3 hits and you're gone thing can lead to some horribly cheap ends to a level. There's also the comet challenges, which, depending on the level, will add a new objective to the galaxy. Speed runs, sped up enemies, races, and my favorite - Daredevil Runs. It pits you against a boss of that level but allows you only one hit before you're gone. On some this is rather simple, but others make it a pain in your neck (Bouldergeist! ><)

One of the big things that I continue to love in the game is the music. There are a lot of old remixes, but some of the original music for the levels is fantastic. My personal favorite at the moment is the Bowser battle theme, which kicks into a choir when you score a hit. I've also found myself whistling the tune from the Fire/Ice Flower power-up. Catchy.

I know by this time I'm probably only preaching to the choir, but I kind of just need a chance to go "omg omg omg!", since few others around here and on other boards I frequent own a copy.
Everything above is on point. I picked this up after work and surprisingly no one was there. Obviously people in my town didnt know Super Walmart was selling it at 12am. I played for a hour or so and was really quite surprised at how good it was. The gravity does take a bit getting used to. I like to call it True 3-D in the sense that if your in a sphere: your really in a sphere, upside down, right side up, on either side of it. This game is amazing, although i think its a little easy. I've managed to complete 3 entire galaxies, plus i've found new galaxies outside of the domes which were like mini games. There are plenty of extra lives to be found which i found makes the game easier considering the 3 life gauge you have. All in all this is a MUST HAVE GAME for anyone who has a Wii. Truely the best game i've played since TLOZ: TW.
lequory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 11:33   Link #26
Ending

Mario games have always been good so far, but I wouldn't get too hyped because of the reviews -unless they come from a reliable source. Thus far the average has been over 90pt on Metacritic, so I guess it is a good game.

Too bad I don't have Wii and don't intend to buy it just for one game.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 18:56   Link #27
kimchipride
Geass User

Galaxy is soooooooooooo fun. I beat two galaxies and all I can say is that it's an amazing game.
kimchipride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 19:12   Link #28
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
I'm completely addicted to this game.

Got 48 stars now.
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 18:07   Link #29
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Looks, sounds and plays amazingly good! Alexandrite has pretty much said everything I wanted to say so not much to add.

Spoiler:

Only thing stopping me from playing on is work

Also interesting to see they kept the "U R MR GAY" cover.

Last edited by Xcomp; 2007-11-21 at 05:12. Reason: Adding link.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 21:09   Link #30
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay
Mario games have always been good so far, but I wouldn't get too hyped because of the reviews -unless they come from a reliable source. Thus far the average has been over 90pt on Metacritic, so I guess it is a good game.
You guess it's a good game? It's tied for the second highest rated game in Metacritic and only one point away from the highest scoring one! If you count Metacritic as a reliable source (it sounds like you do, gathering from your post), then it's better than good!
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 23:50   Link #31
kimchipride
Geass User

Apparently, Haruhi Suzumiya played Super mario galaxy as well...

http://www.metacritic.com/games/user...hbZJicWh30JQ**
Ctrl F Haruhi

Last edited by kimchipride; 2007-11-21 at 01:45.
Old 2007-11-21, 01:19   Link #32
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
Apparently, Haruhi Suzumiya played Super mario galaxy as well...

http://www.metacritic.com/games/user...hbZJicWh30JQ**

Ctrl F Haruhi
I tried a few things, but the page isn't coming up. Am I missing something?

I finally beat the game... all 120 stars (no life + addicting game = ?). Ultimately, it was easier than Sunshine (my memory on Mario 64 is a bit foggy, so I can't accurate compare it to that either), but a lot more fun, in my opinion. Following the end of the game, you can opt to continue playing and are given the purple coin challenges to complete, which wraps up the rest of the 120 if you've done everything else so far. Some of these are liable to give migraines, and I was forced to put down the game for a while after attempting some of them.

Gathering all 120 Stars also unlocks a new option. Spoiler in case you want to find out by obtaining them all on your own.
Spoiler for post end game content:
Old 2007-11-21, 01:47   Link #33
kimchipride
Geass User

I fixed the link. It should work now. If it still doesn't work, you can just go here
http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...permariogalaxy
and then go to "Read more User comments"
Old 2007-11-21, 03:00   Link #34
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Huh. Well I'll be. On top of good choices in costumes, apparently Haruhi also has good taste in games.
Old 2007-11-21, 05:01   Link #35
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

well I finally got started on my copy of the game...and this game is amazing!
Though in the intro stage and the first level seemed to give me some dizzy spells, made my stomach feel kinda weird...I got used to it...I currently have just 2 stars...but after Thanksgiving weekend, that count will change!

I'd say this game is on the same level as Mario 64...it really redefines the genre in platforming.
Though the stars are a bit easier to get than Mario 64, its still good fun though.

Oh yea and those black holes...they're one hit K.O.'s...never knew that. I fell into one and it was one life down.

Fun game, but I gotta stop, must get up early for class tomorrow.
Old 2007-11-27, 02:02   Link #36
kimchipride
Geass User

I read that once you get 120 stars and get
Spoiler for SDLFSJF:
, and you play as him/her and get 120 stars again, you can get the 121st star. Prettttttttttttty crazy. I think I'll end up doing it anyways
Old 2007-11-27, 02:36   Link #37
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
I read that once you get 120 stars and get
Spoiler for SDLFSJF:
, and you play as him/her and get 120 stars again, you can get the 121st star. Prettttttttttttty crazy. I think I'll end up doing it anyways
Yeah, that would be the case. Check up above, I've already made some comments on it. The second play through is interesting if nothing else.
Old 2007-11-27, 03:05   Link #38
kimchipride
Geass User

Quote:
Yeah, that would be the case. Check up above, I've already made some comments on it. The second play through is interesting if nothing else.
Oh wow
I totally didn't notice
Sorry
Old 2007-12-04, 10:53   Link #39
bakaohki
idiot cabbit?

Mario Galaxy: Luma Papercraft

And now, for something completely different.

Get it at http://rapidshare.com/files/74133993...RSION.rar.html -- contains the papercraft files in both .pdo and .pdf format, and textures for the .pdo to make Lumas of just about every color (or make your own!)
bakaohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 19:54   Link #40
kimchipride
Geass User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaohki View Post
And now, for something completely different.

Get it at http://rapidshare.com/files/74133993...RSION.rar.html -- contains the papercraft files in both .pdo and .pdf format, and textures for the .pdo to make Lumas of just about every color (or make your own!)
wow so pro so pro